New Project - "The Return" (Update 05/07)

Post logs of your latest creation in here.
DAE_JA_VOO

New Project - "The Return" (Update 05/07)

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

About a year ago, I got an email from a guy here in Pretoria telling me that he has this Dell case that's "scrap", and if I want to "salvage" it for a mod, I'd be welcome to have it. Now, I've always had an eye for Dell's cases, so I figured I'd take the guy up on his offer, especially considering the fact that you can't actually buy these cases - they're OEM. As far as I know, you need to actually buy a whole rig from Dell. So this was something I was definitely interested in.

I drove out to the guy's house, and there stood this "scrap" case. I say "scrap" because it was hardly scrap. It was a brand spanking new Dell case, still sealed in the plastic, imported from the UK. It was also accompanied by a 1000W Modular Dell PSU. Neither of these things had ever been used.

The case was absolutely beautiful, and it's construction and build quality was amazing.

I couldn't get started with it yet, though, because I was busy with another big project, and once that was done, the renovations we were doing to the house rendered my workspace unusable until just recently, so now I can finally get going :D

I took some quick photos after I got it:

I quickly shoved my hardware into this case. I didn't do a great job, but I just needed my hardware in there.

Cable management-wise, this case isn't particularly awesome. It's not TERRIBLE, but it's a little stingy. That's alright, though, that's what case modding is all about.

So, to start off, I stripped the whole thing. This actually took WAY longer than I was expecting it to. The amount of rivets that Dell used to put this thing together was nauseating:

The bottom is super ugly. I need to cover that up:

Now, one of the interesting things about this machine is that it comes with it's own proprietary PCB that controls the fans and LEDs in the case:

These are some of the LEDs that it comes with:

My plan is to mount this on the bottom of the case, like so:

I'll then place a cover over that entire floor so that it's all hidden and the bottom of the case looks good. So this is the first one I made:

If you look closely, you'll see that I actually had to key out a few spots so that the side panel mounts had some space:

I ended up scrapping that piece though. It was a little too wide, and I needed the floor of the case to be a few millimeters lower. So, a new one. No need for the keys on this one:

Then I needed to drill 3 holes for mounting screws:

By the way, if you don't have a decent ruler, get one. I bought this guy for something like R40 (less than $6):

The screws I was going to use for this would be countersunk screws, like this:

One down:

All done:

In place:

As you can see, it fits really well:

And the screws look great:

So that was step one. The next thing I needed to make was a motherboard tray. The reason the previous owner didn't use the case was because of its lack of a tray. I made a quick temporary one out of some plexi, but I needed to make a nice one for this mod:

I had to thread a bunch of 2.4mm holes with a 3mm tap for the motherboard stand-offs:

Fitted:

I made two holes through the tray that line up with 2 threaded 3mm holes in the chassis for the tray to be fixed to. I made sure to use screws with low profiles to hold it together:

I also knew that I absolutely HAD to cover up that whole top "cavity" that the case has - the place where the PSU and HDDs reside. Even though it's not all that visible when the case is closed, it's wide open when the case is open. This is what I'm talking about, this whole section above the new motherboard tray:

So, a rectangular piece of alu was cut up, and then I started drilling and countersinking the holes:

All done:

And fitted:

The screws look so good I could scream :D

This panel still needs some work, though. I don't know if I want to leave it looking so plain.

The next step was to make some cable management changes to the case. The "back" side panel has a few channels in it that are part of its structure, so I figured I'd use those to my advantage. Sure, I'll never be able to take that side panel off, but the case was designed in that way in any case.

So I checked to see where I needed to cut:

And according to my slick new ruler, the distance between the start of that panel and where it ends is about 14mm:

Now I need those holes to be a little smaller, because I'm actually going to be covering all of this up. So I made them about 13mm in height. Anyway, here they are, marked off, ready for some Dremel love:

And here we go:

Here's after the Dremel work. Now it's filing, sanding, etc:

All done:

Fitted:

And here's a cable, just to show you what I mean:

Now, all of that will actually be getting covered up with a panel, so you'll never actually see that, but it'll be neat, and that's what's important to me. Hahahha.

So that's it for now. What are my plans? The black plastic of the case will be staying black, but the rest of the case is going white. These panels inside will be getting some paint as well. I'm pretty sure I'll be making those white too, but I'll see how I feel about that as I progress.

The whole machine is getting watercooled as well, so that should be a lot of fun. The raddy will sit right at the front of the case, with the pump at the top in the same cavity as the HDDs and PSU.

So, what do you think? Any advice or feedback?

Thanks for taking the time to read my log. I hope you liked it :)
Last edited by DAE_JA_VOO on 05 Jul 2011, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Re: New Project - "The Return" (First Post, load of pics)

Post by ryanrich »

Very nice Ett, damn! I love those XPS cases, I can't believe he just gave it away! Black/White theme is gonna look wicked... :D
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Go go gadget dremmel!

Ok.. white and black make me think: stormtrooper! = wicked indeed

Also.. if you going white... maybe pearl white? you know, with flakes. I thought of this because no one ever does anything special with the paint.

Thats all I can think of.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Thanks guys :)

@GW: Alright, your wish is my command :P A nice special white will look really good. I was planning in hitting a plain white, but your idea sounds better :P
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

oo oo, pic of the fixed "bend" pls :D

and now aren't you glad I never got off my fat butt and had a tray made?? :P

gonna watch this log closely with some glue and double sided tape...

see you are going to use the PCB. would have been sweet if you could actually mod it 'intensely'.

man if I could get my hands on a 2nd one I would give it to you again just to see how you would do a more EXTREME mod.
(/me keeps eyes on Ebay :D )
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
DGui

Post by DGui »

Can't wait to see it when you're done... :bom:
AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ 4.0GHz // 4Gb Apacer DDR3 RAM @ 1333MHz // Gigabyte MA78LMT-S2 // 2Tb Samsung Sata2 // LG E2240 22 inch @ 1080p HD // Asus EAH 5450 1Gb (HD6850 Soon...) // ASUS Full Perspex Chassis
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Is it just me or does that photo of the front of the case really look like Darth Vader ?

Can't comment much on the mod from what I'm used to seeing from you dude. It just seems like you're basically tidying up Dell's mess and not adding anything really spectacular. I hope you prove me wrong.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Hey look, he's done something with it :P It only took 3 months :P

Et, don't run out of steam with this like your car ran out of fuel ;) Incidentally that was the same weekend Et started this :lol:

Go Go Go, less posts more modding ;)
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Off-The-Chart wrote:oo oo, pic of the fixed "bend" pls :D

and now aren't you glad I never got off my fat butt and had a tray made?? :P

gonna watch this log closely with some glue and double sided tape...

see you are going to use the PCB. would have been sweet if you could actually mod it 'intensely'.

man if I could get my hands on a 2nd one I would give it to you again just to see how you would do a more EXTREME mod.
(/me keeps eyes on Ebay :D )
AAAH!!! I didn't know you were O-T-C! Hahaha! Dude, thanks for this case. I hope you like what I do :D

Synthesis wrote:Can't comment much on the mod from what I'm used to seeing from you dude. It just seems like you're basically tidying up Dell's mess and not adding anything really spectacular. I hope you prove me wrong.
Take it easy, this was my first post to the project, not my finished product ;)

Prime wrote:Et, don't run out of steam with this like your car ran out of fuel ;) Incidentally that was the same weekend Et started this :lol:
Har har! :P

Thanks guys, I'm excited for this machine :D
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

I personally think this mod is just an excuse to show off your photography skills. haha. No, but seriously. The best log-photography for a mod i've ever seen. Really well done.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Synthesis wrote:I personally think this mod is just an excuse to show off your photography skills. haha. No, but seriously. The best log-photography for a mod i've ever seen. Really well done.
Well, you're welcome to think whatever you like :) Spending hours and hours doing physical labour and spending a fair bit of cash on cooling/materials seems like kind of a stupid way to give myself opportunity to take photos, doesn't it? ;)

What's actually happening is quite the opposite. I bought the camera specifically so that I could have better photos of my work :) Then I started getting into photography outside of case modding :P

Thanks dude, glad you like the photos :)
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

@Synthesis
although I guess DAE may not agree with me on this...
as some1 who has seen the case in the flesh I can say this: if you plan on only spending a few hours here and there on this mod with 'limited' resources, then there won't be much you can/need to do with this besides "covering up/tidying up". in it's stock, this case is already quite a looker and unless you intend on doing away with practically everything about it, then again that will be about all you can do.

ofc that is what we would like to expect from him; a total overhaul... but I can only expect such a task to come with quite a hefty price tag and quite some hours of work to accomplish.

ofc I think he would like to do that, so let's see what he comes up with.

/starts saving for the 2nd case :P
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Looking good so far! ;)

IMO it would be useless saying: "I modded this or that case" without it being recognisable afterwards.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
garp

Post by garp »

As usual, brilliant! Cant wait to see what you gonna do with the rest of this...

btw DAE, were you possibly as the airport last Sunday morning.... international terminal?
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Thanks for the comments guys!

Off-The-Chart wrote:@Synthesis
although I guess DAE may not agree with me on this...
as some1 who has seen the case in the flesh I can say this: if you plan on only spending a few hours here and there on this mod with 'limited' resources, then there won't be much you can/need to do with this besides "covering up/tidying up". in it's stock, this case is already quite a looker and unless you intend on doing away with practically everything about it, then again that will be about all you can do.

ofc that is what we would like to expect from him; a total overhaul... but I can only expect such a task to come with quite a hefty price tag and quite some hours of work to accomplish.

ofc I think he would like to do that, so let's see what he comes up with.

/starts saving for the 2nd case :P
I don't know that I'm going the "total overhaul" route with this one. The case looks really good as is. The inside is obviously getting a total overhaul, the front is getting some work too, and the outside is getting a new colour.

I'm sure it'll still look good when it's done, and I hope you guys will enjoy it :) And if you don't, I have another project to do right after this one. It'll either be on a V2000, or a Phantom :)

garp wrote:btw DAE, were you possibly as the airport last Sunday morning.... international terminal?
I actually was! What were you doing there?
garp

Post by garp »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
garp wrote:btw DAE, were you possibly as the airport last Sunday morning.... international terminal?
we were picking up family, but if you saw someone looking over at you a few times, it wasnt a creepy stalker kinda look I promise :P i was just thinking "that dude looks so familiar"
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

GET A ROOM YOU 2!!!

:P j/k

yeah DAE, that is what I meant. to "total overhaul" that case would be 1) timely, 2) pricey and 3) you will in the end have to make away with what the case originally looks like, which as we both mention, is already a looker.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

garp wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
we were picking up family, but if you saw someone looking over at you a few times, it wasnt a creepy stalker kinda look I promise :P i was just thinking "that dude looks so familiar"
Hahahaha, no no, I never noticed anything like that :P

Off-The-Chart wrote:yeah DAE, that is what I meant. to "total overhaul" that case would be 1) timely, 2) pricey and 3) you will in the end have to make away with what the case originally looks like, which as we both mention, is already a looker.
Exactly :) The "timely" doesn't bug me too much, but like you say, it looks good already, so we'll keep it like this :)

Anyway, I should have a decent update for you guys sometime this coming week :D
Animal

New Project - "The Return" (First Post, load of pics)

Post by Animal »

Wow! Can't wait for this mod. Have been looking at the XPS and Alienware cases for a while now on ebay.

Don't think you'll find a case like this in SA let alone a modded one :p

Keep us updated Dae. I always love reading your mod logs as you put so much effort into it.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Thanks Animal :)

I'm glad there are people that notice it. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth putting so much effort into the photos and the write up. Glad you like it :)
garp

Post by garp »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
garp wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Hahahaha, no no, I never noticed anything like that :P
Okay good :P
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I'm glad there are people that notice it. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth putting so much effort into the photos and the write up. Glad you like it :)
IMO, The actual physical work is only half of the job.... the other half it having the ability to explain, and show visually what you have done. Amazing stuff
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Thanks Animal :)

I'm glad there are people that notice it. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth putting so much effort into the photos and the write up. Glad you like it :)
its def worth it dae honestly.... u have like a 'dae cult' everytime u start a new mod... :mrgreen: i speak for everyone when i say that each of us waits in anticipation for the next pic or idea and it comes purely down to the fact that u have such mad skill and awesome vision, but also put all the effort in to be professional and well documented/photographed...

keen to see some progress dude... its an insane case! and bring on the phantom... its asking for a mod......
i7 950 @ 4ghz 1.3v| Zalman CNPS 10x extreme Cooler | Asus Rampage III extreme | 6gb corsair dominator 1600 (7-8-7-20) | Asus gtx 560 Ti Direct Cu II SLI| Corsair Tx 750W | Coolermaster Cm690II Advanced | 640Gb WD Black Sata 3 6gb/s |
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Wow, thanks man! I appreciate the encouragement :D Sweet, I'll happily post good updates then :P

Phantom eh? I'll see what I feel like. I bought this V2000 years ago so that I could mod it, and I never got round to doing it... so I really want to. But then that Phantom looks SO good!
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

Dae I'm definately with jelly. I'm sure every one of us appreciate and envy your skill! Jelly and I are aspiring modders and we just look at your work and are in awe! You're Super professional, every single thought is explained and documented and you go into detail which I love! so you have 2 confirmed "followers" so far haha.
And about the Phantom,ya I'm still waiting for evetech to get stock,and also waiting for me to get a secure cashflow again,I'm a bit wary to spend anything at the moment. But that white Phantom is mine as soon as possible! Might try mod it myself,might hand it over to the master...
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Hahhaa, thanks man, I love you guys :P

Well, if you want me to work on that Phantom, let me know. I want to do one, and if I do yours, it saves me the trouble of buying one and then selling it when I'm done, and it means that you can buy one and get a modded one instead of a standard one :)

So yeah, let me know if you want me to work on one for you. Drop me a PM when you're ready :)

Anyway, I'm off to bed. I have modding to do in the morning :D