Mecha project - Another panel made and both fitted

Post logs of your latest creation in here.
Samaya

Re: Mecha project

Post by Samaya »

So finally I can say UPDATE!!! I actually did some cutting of a SINGLE panel. I couldn't finish it but I got very far with it. Took me 3.5 hours to just do this little bit - This is going to be a looooooooonng build.

On with the show
First cuts - nice and straight with a Jig saw :D

Finished cutting

It still fits :mrgreen:

Tapping 11 holes is not much fun.

At least I made sure the holes align with the tapped ones... (this time :oops: )

And fitted to the frame with all the scratches...

So now I still need to cut the small corners off, file down to the required width and then sand it down so there are no more scratches. Then I'll start on the next couple of panels. I do have another home project that is constantly interrupting this mod (My fish tank cabinet need doors and the stand with my daughters birds on needs to be sanded (again) and painted). I am also waiting for my screws that I ordered to arrive.

Sorry if the updates are not frequent enough :( I am trying to get to the mod more.

Enjoy,

S
The_Jelly

Re: Mecha project - Bottom panel started and almost done

Post by The_Jelly »

looking awesome samaya cant wait to start my own scratch build one day!! good work keep it up....
i7 950 @ 4ghz 1.3v| Zalman CNPS 10x extreme Cooler | Asus Rampage III extreme | 6gb corsair dominator 1600 (7-8-7-20) | Asus gtx 560 Ti Direct Cu II SLI| Corsair Tx 750W | Coolermaster Cm690II Advanced | 640Gb WD Black Sata 3 6gb/s |
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

OMW, that alu is THICK!!!! I do not envy you on the day you need to file those edges :P
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:OMW, that alu is THICK!!!! I do not envy you on the day you need to file those edges :P
That was yesterday... I used my power file on the edges and then the hand file for the last bit to just get on the line.

I took pictures but not of the thick piece. I took picture and didn't have time to upload yesterday. Our connection at work is also VERY slow today so you might see pictures later tonight.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Ok I managed to upload SOME pic.

This is my setup for cutting the aluminium. Pity my Jigsaw is old and makes the blade bend side ways, otherwise you would have seen a perfectly straigth line... :cry:

4 sides done

Quick mock up

That edge is looking mighty fine

And done

OMW this piece is thin. It bends so easily... But I have a plan, a big bright plan that is going to cost wifey money (which I supply :wink: ) I also finished off the edges of the thick piece and marked the place where the hole's would be, but I broke a drill bit off in the thick alu and need to get that out first :shock: :|

Let me know what you think,

S
Samaya

Re: Mecha project - Idea testing

Post by Samaya »

I had a bit of time to implement some ideas that came to me.

Firstly I want to use M2 screws to fix the sides to the frame. That way it would be easier to cover them when I paint the case (Less area)

Then I did this tester. I thought it would look great with a see through red coloured perspex (will need to polish it though) with some miniature led's lighting it up.

I still need to cut the rest of the panels but that will have to wait as my little girl :angel13: is turning 4 this weekend and we have to celebrate that :clown: :occasion9:
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Ok celebrations are over and I have thought it a better idea to replace the thin 0.9mm thick alu with 1.6mm pieces. I need to finish marking the cut lines and will then make all the sides, except the pods, from the thicker 1.6mm sheet.

One thing I still need to figure out is where to put the external USB's and head phone socket... :?: :dontknow:
Prime

Post by Prime »

I think the thicker will be better. The thin stuff will get damaged too easily.

Also, mount your USB and audio in the side pods?
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Prime wrote: Also, mount your USB and audio in the side pods?
I wanted to do that at first but then a small voice told me that I am opening and closing the pods. And if I leave my headphones plugged in (like I do now) I'd damage the case and connector. Which is the reason I am in need of finding a new hidy place for the external USB's and audio.

I'll figure something out later on in the project - it'll make a space for itself.

Ok so on with the show :mrgreen:

I finished marking the left and right sides on the new thicker aluminium (0.9mm was just too thin and was going to be a serious project killer)

First piece cut

All pieces cut out of the sheet. I HATE my Jigsaw. It is the worst tool I own. I don't use it very often so replacing it would be a waste imo. When I cut the aluminium, it would glide through like a hot knife in butter and the suddenly it would catch on the sheet and start hopping around like a rabbit on speed. I checked the cutting angle, I reset the blade and I even made sure the material was seated properly. In the end and after a LOT of swearing I got all the pieces out of the sheet. :evil: :x

After the Jigsaw this following happened, I just started laughing... (The blade was new at the start of the cut. 6cm later it was done)

Anyway so a bit of manual hack sawing later and using the powerfile with a coarse sanding belt to get close to the cut lines and finishing it with a finer belt I finished the first piece. I also only sanded the one side (the one you see) to see how that would look.
I think with a bit more sanding and going with finer sanding paper it will look good enough to paint.

Lots of work still to do. Quick mock-up of the one side.

All the pieces that still needs to be finished for the sides.

I still have to cut the pods, the fronts and backs and the top sections. Still LOTS of work to do... I can't wait :mrgreen:
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

create a magnetic attachment for the headphones? A female 3.5 mm jack attached to magnets that you can stick to corresponding magnets on the case that are attached to the MB header?

You know you have the power button 'dent' at the front top of the case? Have a similar dent at the bottom with exposed magnets where you can 'plug' the magnet headphone attachment.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Monty wrote:create a magnetic attachment for the headphones? A female 3.5 mm jack attached to magnets that you can stick to corresponding magnets on the case that are attached to the MB header?

You know you have the power button 'dent' at the front top of the case? Have a similar dent at the bottom with exposed magnets where you can 'plug' the magnet headphone attachment.
That is the exact thing I will do - the dent thing not the magnet thing. I'll work around the angle the "dent" sits at for the USB's and the audio. But excellent idea - Thanks man! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Samaya

Mecha project - half of the top made

Post by Samaya »

I did a bit of modding this afternoon. I have to say that cutting 5mm thick aluminium is not childs play. Firstly, a Jigsaw with a metal-cutting blade causes a lot of issues. The material tend to get "caught" because of a build up on the blade it self. Secondly, Angle grinders are stupidly noisy and your neighbours tend to dislike you after you have used one (and your ears bleed from the noise...), sorry for them though :twisted:

I nearly finished one part of the top side for this case. Here it is after using the angle grinder on it

I started filing/sanding the edges to get them nice and straight as well as 90'. Easile done with a belt sander

And done. All edges are straight and I managed to keep my hands steady enough to not go over the markings.

The edges still need some work but its easy enough to polish that.

At this stage I didn't have more time to start on the other half of the top, so decided to start getting all the scrathes out.

I don't know why but I started polishing the whole panel and I have to say that the pic does not show you how nice this part actually looks even though its not even finished yet.

And a quick fit.

Hopefully you won't have to wait this long again for updates to occur. :wink:

I still need to make the other top half, the front and back panels and then still need to start on the inside. LOTS of modding to come :mrgreen:

Cheers,

S
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: Mecha project - half of the top made

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Goodness, so much work on such a thick chunk of Alu... I don't envy you :P

Looks great man! Loving it. Keep it up!
Samaya

Re: Mecha project - Got a whole bunch of connectors

Post by Samaya »

So just before lunch one of our suppliers dropped these off by our offices - for free :mrgreen: . My suppliers like me :mrgreen: . So these are going to be used in the back of the case instead of the Mobo connectors. So I would have all the cables in one place at the bottom, back of the box and looking nice and neat. I still need the power socket and plug but that will be coming along in the near future. Now I just need to make a PC Board to fit these onto :wink:

Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

I'd like to see the servo's in action when you power up.
I am picturing this slow-moving action with the sounds of air escaping from an airlock, maybe a lil smoke for effect.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

I finally had time to work on my mod again. I managed to finish the other half of the top side. And I also found a way to cut these thick sheets with a Jigsaw. Just add oil to the blade and keep it smooth.

So after all the rough cutting, I started filing the panel. This took very nearly forever

Action shot

I fit both panels and they it looked good. I made the gap 5mm wide.

Its starting to come together. I still have to finish and fit the side panels. And then still cut away all the excess on the panels. But sofar I am very happy with the top and bottom

Cheers,

S
Samaya

Re: Mecha project - Another panel made and both fitted

Post by Samaya »

I think I need to change the name of this project - Mecha sounds to close to some religeous place in the middle east. And of course I have no idea what I want to call it...
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

I was thinking of renaming this build to Mechanical Animal... After the Marilyn Manson Album
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Why not call it "Metric **** Ton". Cos that's how much this thing is going to weigh! :)

Looking good btw.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Looking good man! I don't envy you for all that Alu filing. That must've sucked.

btw, Mecha sounds fine to me. The last thing it reminds me of is a place in the Middle East :P
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

GreyWolf wrote:Why not call it "Metric **** Ton". Cos that's how much this thing is going to weigh! :)

Looking good btw.
You'll be surprised how little this actually weighs. It is most definitly LESS than 2kg's. I really don't want a massive case again.

Thanks btw :mrgreen:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Looking good man! I don't envy you for all that Alu filing. That must've sucked.

btw, Mecha sounds fine to me. The last thing it reminds me of is a place in the Middle East :P
It took nearly 3 hours to get that piece filed :shock: At least I'm done with the thick pieces for now. The real fun can start in earnest now :mrgreen:

And I'll keep the name :P :mrgreen: