The Nehalem GT - Stacker 830

Post logs of your latest creation in here.
The_Jelly

Re: The Nehalem GT - Stacker 830

Post by The_Jelly »

Stock cooler > No cooler :mrgreen: hahahahahaha! looking forward to some pics dude!
R.I.P wheels :twisted: hahahahaha!

keen to see where your imagination is gona lead u smiley....
i7 950 @ 4ghz 1.3v| Zalman CNPS 10x extreme Cooler | Asus Rampage III extreme | 6gb corsair dominator 1600 (7-8-7-20) | Asus gtx 560 Ti Direct Cu II SLI| Corsair Tx 750W | Coolermaster Cm690II Advanced | 640Gb WD Black Sata 3 6gb/s |
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

wassup! ok as promised - heres some (better quality :P ) photos...i took it in the sun so its a little clearer...

i really cant wait to get that perspex in & that mesh out - note no wheels :lol:

the gloss outside really looks awesome, i kinda miss the brushed look cuz powder coating is super thick so it looks like a million coats on it...

cable management in a stacker is no easy task, luckily it blends in with the black 8) well, sort of?

note i borrowed a v6 from the work while saving for H20 cuz i HATE the stock cooler :evil: also, 3 of my buddies wanna buy over my case now since i did this (facebook goes a long way) & now im wondering, custom stacker 830 / lian-li p80/ corsair obsidian? what would you guys do?

[Core i7 930] [12GB Corsair Dominator CL8 XMP 1.65v] [Asus Rampage II Extreme] [Sapphire HD5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition 2GB DDR5] [Corsair HX-750W Modular] [32GB OCZ Onyx SSD] [3TB Seagate Barracuda's] [Coolermaster Cosmos S] [Coolermaster Sickle Flow 120's] [Logitech G11] [Razer Death Adder 3500DPI w/ Razer Goliathus Fragged Alpha Sized] [Logitech Z2300 THX] [Samsung Sync Master 2494HS 24" LCD]
KaosHunter

Post by KaosHunter »

nice work Smilodon ... it is looking really good loving the cases paint job ... they really did it well :)
Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.40 Ghz
6 GB Kingston Hyper X 1800 Mhz with cooling fan
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
2x MSI HD 5870 in CrossfireX
(HD 5870 Lightning & Standard HD 5870)
Zalman CNPS9900A LED
Cooler Master HAF 922
Seagate 1 TB
Samsung SyncMaster B2330 23'' Full HD
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Logitech G19 Keyboard
Logitech G9x Mouse
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

The_Jelly wrote:Stock cooler > No cooler :mrgreen: hahahahahaha! looking forward to some pics dude!
R.I.P wheels :twisted: hahahahaha!

keen to see where your imagination is gona lead u smiley....
:lol: thanx bud - careful about my imagination dude - i might make a decepticon :twisted: hey that could be pretty cool, DJV you wanna help me out here? :lol: :lol: :lol:

[Core i7 930] [12GB Corsair Dominator CL8 XMP 1.65v] [Asus Rampage II Extreme] [Sapphire HD5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition 2GB DDR5] [Corsair HX-750W Modular] [32GB OCZ Onyx SSD] [3TB Seagate Barracuda's] [Coolermaster Cosmos S] [Coolermaster Sickle Flow 120's] [Logitech G11] [Razer Death Adder 3500DPI w/ Razer Goliathus Fragged Alpha Sized] [Logitech Z2300 THX] [Samsung Sync Master 2494HS 24" LCD]
The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

Decepticon!!!!! transformers FTW! I rate thats a theme and a half bro!!! that black with some red or purple decepticon look! will be amazing! im sure theres tons of people here that can put in some input for a transfomers case mod.... the possibillities are endless....
i7 950 @ 4ghz 1.3v| Zalman CNPS 10x extreme Cooler | Asus Rampage III extreme | 6gb corsair dominator 1600 (7-8-7-20) | Asus gtx 560 Ti Direct Cu II SLI| Corsair Tx 750W | Coolermaster Cm690II Advanced | 640Gb WD Black Sata 3 6gb/s |
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Looks great! Nice work dude!

You got any plans for the cables in there?
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Looks great! Nice work dude!

ummm....no :( i was thinking of routing them through the back but then the other side with the window gonna be full of cables :oops: maybe i should cut holes in the mobo tray for cable management, then grab some rubber liner for around the holes? what do you think? ...ive gotten in the habit of asking you first before doing anything, you know, to be safe... :lol:

i really love my stacker DJV - i think the case looks stunning in its shape & thats why my original plans on the mod have somewhat changed since i started - i always feel theres room for improvement somewhere...its just a pity i didnt grab the silver one cuz i feel the satin black interior with a silver outside would of looked more amazing - but hey, im not complaining :P

could i ask though, what is anodizing? some guy on FB said it would of looked crazy if anodized... is it more efficient than powder coating in some way? oh & lastly, is powder coating always look 'thick' or is it just me.

Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Smilodon111 wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:ummm....no :( i was thinking of routing them through the back but then the other side with the window gonna be full of cables :oops: maybe i should cut holes in the mobo tray for cable management, then grab some rubber liner for around the holes? what do you think? ...ive gotten in the habit of asking you first before doing anything, you know, to be safe... :lol:
Do it!

Have the main side all pristine and 'clean' and have the back of the mobo tray as a spider's web of colour and cables.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

Monty wrote: Do it!

Have the main side all pristine and 'clean' and have the back of the mobo tray as a spider's web of colour and cables.
wow...monty, didnt expect you to follow my mod :P

thanx for the advice & heads up - if only Skidd was on the forums i could of asked him what he did with the cables...i think that guy had THE best stacker in the world!

Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Smilodon111 wrote:wow...monty, didnt expect you to follow my mod :P
Haha, why not? I do dabble in a little modding myself, usually for more functional purposes (good airflow, easy access ect.) And looking at the skill and ideas of other people is always interesting.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

Smiley you know those little things that you screw onto your car or bike tyre's valve? they jus prtect the valve and they come in blue and green and red.... those are anodized... i used to do bmx and i had 3 frames powder coated and all 3 frames had quite a thick layer of paint on them so maybe it jus does come out thick... not sure what the process is and if you can thin it out....
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Smilodon111 wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Looks great! Nice work dude!

ummm....no :( i was thinking of routing them through the back but then the other side with the window gonna be full of cables :oops: maybe i should cut holes in the mobo tray for cable management, then grab some rubber liner for around the holes? what do you think? ...ive gotten in the habit of asking you first before doing anything, you know, to be safe... :lol:
Cable management is one of the biggest, if not THE biggest aspect of a case mod. You should, in fact, be putting far far more time in your cables than in anything else. I know that that's true for me, at least. Here's what I did with the cables on my most recent project:

Smilodon111 wrote:i really love my stacker DJV
Dude, I totally understand why you'd say that. To tell you the truth, I've wanted one since their release. It's such a stylish case, I love it.

Smilodon111 wrote:i always feel theres room for improvement somewhere...
Welcome to the life of a case modder. You'll always find way to make stuff better. It's a good place to be :)

Smilodon111 wrote:could i ask though, what is anodizing? some guy on FB said it would of looked crazy if anodized... is it more efficient than powder coating in some way? oh & lastly, is powder coating always look 'thick' or is it just me.
Sure :)

So, powder coating is exactly what the name says. It's a layer of powder that they coat your case with, and then it gets baked in an oven.

Anodizing is a completely different process, but the look at the end is amazing. Remember how your stacker looked before you powder coated it? Remember how the aluminium was still a raw aluminium feel, but it was black in colour? That was anodized aluminium. There's absolutely no way you could notice a thickness difference in something that's been anodized either, as the thickness of the new layer is measured in Micrometers (A Micrometer is one-millionth of a meter, or 1/1000 of a millimeter).

Powder coating something makes it look like it was painted that colour. When something has been anodized, it actually looks like it's constructed of a metal that was always that colour.

After having dealt the powder coating, myself, I must admit - I prefer anodized stuff. It looks better, it feels better, and it's far less fragile.

As for your thick powder coating question - yes, it will definitely be thicker. Powder coating ads a relatively thick layer onto the panel being coated, which makes it really tough to put the case back together. I hate that, and that's one of the reasons I'm going to avoid powder coating in the future.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I know that that's true for me, at least. Here's what I did with the cables on my most recent project:
And is that latest project of yours done yet?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yep. Like with the rest of the updates, though, I don't own that project, so I don't have the rights to publish it where I like, which is why I haven't posted photos :(
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

wow dude - thats looks super awesome :shock: - is that a murder mod on the cables? i saw on ur blog you mentioned problems with a certain company with the powder coating, was it this build?

can i ask - that psu - how was it painted cuz i love the finish! sorry for a million questions :P

@ jelly - thanx bro - i didnt know there was so many ways to paint stuff....seems every paint has its ups & downs, well i guess next on the list is the cables then 8)

DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Smilodon111 wrote:wow dude - thats looks super awesome :shock:

Smilodon111 wrote:is that a murder mod on the cables?
Well, MurderMod is an entire project, an entire build. The cables were sleeved in this style in that project though, yes :)

Smilodon111 wrote:i saw on ur blog you mentioned problems with a certain company with the powder coating, was it this build?
That's the one :)

Smilodon111 wrote:can i ask - that psu - how was it painted cuz i love the finish! sorry for a million questions :P
It was powder coated :)
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

ahhh thanx for clearing that up for me jelly & DJV :)

sooooo, small update or rather a question for your guys opinions....

i recently saw a guy on bit tech that modded a lian li x1000 in the same fashion as mine - powder coating, red h20 kit & things.anyway heres a link to it - it came out awesome!

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=183471 now, im calling around tomorrow for the acrylic i want for the case but now i wonder - should i go for dark (like tinted) or should i go for red like this guy? its the first time i saw red acrylic & i think the stacker's gonna look sick with it :twisted:

also, i was originally planning to replace all the mesh of the case but now im wondering if i should leave the top (to exhaust hot air) , the front (to draw cool air in) and the other side panel (to hide my cables :lol: ) i know it seems as if i have no clue what im doing ( :lol: ) but rather just accommodating new idea's....of which they dont stop :mrgreen:

Thanx guys

The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

that case mod was insane! love the black red theme.... i wasnt ment to have got the rampage 3 extreme and hence why im running blue fans... wish i had red fans now...
i take it u putting the acrylic over those 4 fans on your side panel? if so do the fans have leds? if so might be a little overwhelming with red led's and red acrylic, but im just trying to picture it in my head... a tint with red could look awesome but again hard to picture could turn out too gloomy.... i think when u see the acrylic in person you will know which to get....
the mesh on top and front id leave for sure.... and theres not much you can do about the other side casue as u say u gotta cover the cables....
but dae ja voo would probably have worked with loads of materials so he would have a better opinion as he has delt with it first hand....
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Smilodon111 wrote: i know it seems as if i have no clue what im doing ( :lol: ) but rather just accommodating new idea's....of which they dont stop :mrgreen:

Thanx guys
Unfortunately that is the modders curse. You always have nicer, newer ideas and then you want to implement them but it would mean sacrificing something else you made - which you thought was awesome but not so much anymore...

I dont think you should remove the mesh. You should add a red tinted perspex backing to the front and side mesh with some red lighting behind it. BUT you should get the light as uniform as possible. LED's tend to spot a bit if you use the wrong ones so just be careful.
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

The_Jelly wrote:that case mod was insane! love the black red theme.... i wasnt ment to have got the rampage 3 extreme and hence why im running blue fans... wish i had red fans now...
i take it u putting the acrylic over those 4 fans on your side panel? if so do the fans have leds? if so might be a little overwhelming with red led's and red acrylic, but im just trying to picture it in my head... a tint with red could look awesome but again hard to picture could turn out too gloomy.... i think when u see the acrylic in person you will know which to get....
the mesh on top and front id leave for sure.... and theres not much you can do about the other side casue as u say u gotta cover the cables....
but dae ja voo would probably have worked with loads of materials so he would have a better opinion as he has delt with it first hand....
its awesome hey! that theme is EXACTLY what i want :P ive taken out the fan bracket cuz with a window there its gonna pointless trying to draw air in through the window - also it'll give a cleaner look once the h20 in...speaking of red fans, i got a few left (coolermaster sickle flow 120mm red) from taking the bracket out, once the mod done - i'll sponser you them if you want bud :mrgreen:
Samaya wrote:
Smilodon111 wrote: i know it seems as if i have no clue what im doing ( :lol: ) but rather just accommodating new idea's....of which they dont stop :mrgreen:

Thanx guys
Unfortunately that is the modders curse. You always have nicer, newer ideas and then you want to implement them but it would mean sacrificing something else you made - which you thought was awesome but not so much anymore...

I dont think you should remove the mesh. You should add a red tinted perspex backing to the front and side mesh with some red lighting behind it. BUT you should get the light as uniform as possible. LED's tend to spot a bit if you use the wrong ones so just be careful.
dude - awesome idea! :twisted: looking @ the side panels i see that theres about 10mm gap between the side panels & the mesh, so installing the window behind the mesh will keep the black & the logos but have a tint of red which fits the theme perfect.... :mrgreen: damn, its no wonder you & DJV are the mod gods! thanx dude

The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

ya shot smiley id love to take them off your hands........ and the red plastic behind the mesh does sound awesome! well done for thinking that one up.... and blonde moment bout the fans smiley obviously you cant draw air through plastic i think sleep is getting the better of me.... i think your case is gona turn out really mean!
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

Looking good Smiley! I also wanna go with a red theme when I get my haf 922. But I'm gonna be buying all red fans,but like Jelly said I don't want it to look all gloomy. But I can't exactly have a few red fans and few blue fans,it'll just look wrong? And I have a blue mobo,so that kinda ruins things but you will hardly notice it. Like Jellys red mobo in a blue themed case.
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

slim we will sort something out between us.... if i get those fans from smiley then we will sit down experiement see what looks good on both our cases and then ill maybe order one or two new fans and then you just need 200mm fan.
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

hey guys -

so i might of found a place for the perpex but in the mean time - i redid my cables & added a 30cm red LED strip...i wanted to take a photo @ night cuz it can show the color but it looks crap on my cam :lol: anyway,

The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

Looking so so so good smiley!!! I'm getting keen on the red black theme now!!!!! After seeing your case up and running! I'm jealous.... I'm so keen to do a mod!!!! Maybe slim and I ca team up and mod something.... U making me amped! Keep up the good work dude! Looking smart