project: special force

Post logs of your latest creation in here.
djwez
The next Sheldon Cooper
Processor: AMD PII x3 720 (4th core unlocke
Motherboard: Asus M4A785TD-M EVO
Graphics card: Sapphire 7790 Dual x OC
Memory: 8GB 1600 Vengeance kit

project: special force

Post by djwez »

hi guys

sOoOoOoOo...... im sure a few of you might have seen this pic somewhere

well my friend has asked me to do a simple mod to his pc he was given and handed me a wad of cash (not really) basically this case mod is going to be a mod on a low budget, hopefully inspiring others to pick up the tools and give it a shot.

enough of the intro, its time to get stuck in:

first off ill start with the pics of the case.

close up of innards

front of the case (already scraped the bezel as i wont be needing it)

the only side panel that still remains

and now

The Designs

so thats the basic design so far. should be makign a few changes as i go along though.

and now for the first update :D

so i decided to start work on the feet of the case (as not only is it the lowest part of the case but its also the first thing i had materials avalable to use)

i started off with a peice of 5mm plexi

plexi marked with "basic" circle shapes

then drilled a hole in the center of each

started to drill the center holes (started with a 2mm bit as a pilot and then moved onto the 5mm)

close up (love close ups of plexi shavings)

and next comes out the jigsaw to cut them out

jigsaw ready to cut

i then out them on my drill press

ok i actually missed a shot or two but i realised that leaving them square means alot of sanding and time wasted so i cut them more circular

40 gritt seemed to make it a quick and simple task

cue the 40 gritt

i sanded untill i got the feet to either the circle i drew on the masking tape or till i got them to perfect circles

slowly getting there

after sanding and polishing them i present you with the case feet:

woop woop

sadly one got cracked through the whole prosses so i had to make one more

after i finished the last one i realised that the bottom of all the feet are going to get scratched easily ruining the look. so a counter sunk the bottom of them put a cheese head nut through them and put them back on the drill press. this time with a peice of sand paper underneath them
(for some reason a few of the pics have gone missing)

and here are the feet complete:

case feet all assembled. you can see the sanded finish underneath them slightly

Asembling Time

first off i had to remove the old feet. not wanting to wait and uber keen to see how its going to look i broke all of the feet off

old plastic feet (pic from inside of the case)

i then basically slid them in the hole, washer on either side, and then tightend the nuts. i shall let the pictures speak now:

case on its side

under belly

they sit perfect :)

from the front

Let there be light!

so now i had the idea of lighting up the plexi feet (the whole reason i used plexi) and i really wanted to see how it looked (this was a bad idea and ill explain why later)
all i did join some 1k resistors to 2 res leds and 2 white ones. twist a wire around each lead and hook them up to the 12v lines. what folows is pure awesomeness and i cant wait to put them in properly

front shot

side shot

hope you guys like the new mod.

comments and ideas are always welcome

djwez signing out! ;)
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Re: project: special force

Post by Hman »

A suggestion if I may, instead of using nuts to lift the case, get a small piece of tubing (metal, plastic or whatever you want) and cut them to the desired length and run your bolt through them.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Hman wrote:A suggestion if I may, instead of using nuts to lift the case, get a small piece of tubing (metal, plastic or whatever you want) and cut them to the desired length and run your bolt through them.
I agree. It does look a bit shoddy. I understand that it's a budget mod, but I am sure that it wont break the bank to make them look a bit more finished. Another idea instead of Hman's is to get some rubber grommets and "sleeve" the bolts.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
djwez
The next Sheldon Cooper

Post by djwez »

GreyWolf wrote:
Hman wrote:A suggestion if I may, instead of using nuts to lift the case, get a small piece of tubing (metal, plastic or whatever you want) and cut them to the desired length and run your bolt through them.
I agree. It does look a bit shoddy. I understand that it's a budget mod, but I am sure that it wont break the bank to make them look a bit more finished. Another idea instead of Hman's is to get some rubber grommets and "sleeve" the bolts.
oo i like the idea of rubber grommets. i shall see what i can get around here. i just used the nuts and washers because i wanted to see what its like.

hopefully i can post more updates soon :D
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

djwez wrote:
GreyWolf wrote:
oo i like the idea of rubber grommets. i shall see what i can get around here. i just used the nuts and washers because i wanted to see what its like.

hopefully i can post more updates soon :D
cool man. can't wait.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

That's a nice way of making the round feet. Pity that case looks like a pig rolled around in it because of the dirt. But nice idea, would like to see the final product
djwez
The next Sheldon Cooper

Post by djwez »

Samaya wrote:That's a nice way of making the round feet. Pity that case looks like a pig rolled around in it because of the dirt. But nice idea, would like to see the final product
thanks but its not entirely my idea :roll: i saw someone was using a dremel to do it but for case feet 5mm thick with a diameter of 50mm i dont think its adviseable to use a dremel.

think i shall sort the "mess" out soon :P looking forward to mounting the LEDs'. maybe i can start this weekend :D

sorry for spelling mistakes no sp checker on the schools computers :(
edit: and grammer
edit: and misspelling "grammar" - The Rat
senile

Post by senile »

Are you finished yet?
djwez
The next Sheldon Cooper

Post by djwez »

sadly no... my project logs have been gathering dust lately.. Haven't had the time or the money for any of them. hopefully i can work on some of them again soon