I'm doing a big modding project for NAG Magazine (Update!)

Post logs of your latest creation in here.
DAE_JA_VOO

I'm doing a big modding project for NAG Magazine (Update!)

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Heya guys!

Man, I've been dying to get this news out :D

So here's the deal - NAG Magazine emailed me a few weeks ago asking me if I'd be keen on meeting up with them regarding modding. To cut a long story short, they've asked me to build a machine that will be given away at RAGE this year. This is also around the time my sponsorship with Dremel came to be.

The machine will have crazy high specs, and I've been given freedom to do absolutely anything I want with the project, and they'll fund it. I was offered any case I want, and I went with the Lian-Li PC A77F as you know.

Here's a photo my girlfriend took of the case:

I've also opted to go with the Corsair HX1000W PSU for the mod, which has also arrived.

I'm really, really lucky with this project, because, as I said, I can seriously do whatever I want, and it'll be funded. Obviously I can't be ridiculous :P But I'm pretty sure I'll be putting in an order for a 7" monitor for the mod, as well as ordering sleeving from Germany for the cables.

Anyway, I can't post full project logs anywhere except for NAG's site, as they're paying me to do this, so they own what I do. That's fair though, but it means that I can only link you guys to the log, or tell you where it is.

The rules here on PCF for me are that I may not link you guys, but I can tell you to visit NAG's site and check out the two articles I've written so far - so, please go ahead and do that!

If you'd like to follow my work closely, please follow my modding twitter account - @dae_ja_voo. I post updates there all the time, as well as links to the articles on NAG's site. I'm also in the process of creating a facebook page that will also be updated regularly, so I'll let you know when that's done.

So, I hope you guys enjoy this project as much as I'm going to!

God Bless
Ett
Last edited by DAE_JA_VOO on 02 Aug 2010, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Samaya

Re: So, I'm doing a big modding project for NAG Magazine

Post by Samaya »

Interesting, seems you will be making a career out of modding after all... :D :D :D

Congrats man! Does this mean Atari is standing still at the moment?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah, Atari is on a quick break. Not permanent, but quick. I've moved in with a buddy of mine for a few weeks, just for the heck of it, and all my tools and stuff are back home. I brought the A77F case with though so that I can model it. So Atari and all my tools and stuff are still home :)

But yeah man, it's slowly starting to look like modding could become my job :D
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Well thats awesome. If you need help with the electronics, let me know
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

As always, I will! I'm planning on having some motorized bits in this project, so I'll be giving you a call :P

btw, I'm staying about 2 minutes away from you at the moment :P
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:As always, I will! I'm planning on having some motorized bits in this project, so I'll be giving you a call :P
What type of motorised bits? Stepper motors, servo's or just plain DC? You have my full attention :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote: btw, I'm staying about 2 minutes away from you at the moment :P
:shock: Then you will have to visit!!!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Posted an update last week. Have a look!
I’ve got a pretty sweet update for you guys regarding the rAge mod! Let me start with the full set of epic photos from the photoshoot we did with the Lian-Li PC-A77F case and the Corsair HX1000W PSU.
I’ve spent a lot of time working on ideas and designs for this machine, and after scrapping so many ideas, I’ve come up with something that I want for this system when it’s finished. I’m still not sure on a few of the details, but that’s how these things go. Sometimes, you only realise what you want to do when you’re about to do it. I’ve thrown together some sketches for you guys to see though, as well as some renders of the finished (stock) case.
Please check the full article on the NAG website for the full article!

(That last picture is a render)

Check my website for updates on other projects of mine!
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

ANY new ideas? ;)

Remember to bring that screen to me so we can take it apart carefully
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Sheesh, I really haven't been keeping this updated :(
I’ve got some amazing goodies to show you. First an foremost, I want to show you the little Lilliput 7″ USB monitor that we got from the US for the project.

We’ve also ordered some incredible cable sleeving from Germany for the machine, which is on its way. I’ll post photos of that sleeving as soon as it arrives, which I’m expecting to be this week. I’ll update you guys on the watercooling setup in that update as well.
Something else I’ve recently received is another new toy from Dremel. They sent me a Dremmel 4000, which I’ve been dying to get my hands on for ages! Some pics:

And the next update:
Man, I’ve been having so much fun on this project. The more I think about it, the more excited I get.
I bought some 1.2mm thick aluminium yesterday for use in the mod.

This motherboard tray caters for almost every motherboard form factor that exists, hence all the holes. While that’s a great feature, I don’t need it. I only need it to support ATX, and perhaps EATX. The tray also has three big holes along the bottom for cables, etc. I don’t need those either, because I want to make the holes for the cables in the perfect places, not general places like this. So how do we solve this? With a piece of aluminium that’ll cover all of that stuff, like so:

Please have a look at the articles! Visit the NAG website to see. Let me know what you guys think please :D
Samaya

Re: I'm doing a big modding project for NAG Magazine (Update

Post by Samaya »

Why can't I keep my workbench that neat?

Let me know when you want to come visit.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Dude, I need to come visit SOON, to talk about where I can buy that little motor. Soon as in ASAP! :D
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Dude, I need to come visit SOON, to talk about where I can buy that little motor. Soon as in ASAP! :D
Its on my desk, we will just be needing gears to go with it. Let me know when you want to come visit ;)
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

man oh man, cant wait to see this rig! :-D

[Core i7 930] [12GB Corsair Dominator CL8 XMP 1.65v] [Asus Rampage II Extreme] [Sapphire HD5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition 2GB DDR5] [Corsair HX-750W Modular] [32GB OCZ Onyx SSD] [3TB Seagate Barracuda's] [Coolermaster Cosmos S] [Coolermaster Sickle Flow 120's] [Logitech G11] [Razer Death Adder 3500DPI w/ Razer Goliathus Fragged Alpha Sized] [Logitech Z2300 THX] [Samsung Sync Master 2494HS 24" LCD]
japie_my_skapie

Post by japie_my_skapie »

me too
The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

bro! thats insane! i wish i did what you do! ill be following this one closely gona be a crazy one!
i7 950 @ 4ghz 1.3v| Zalman CNPS 10x extreme Cooler | Asus Rampage III extreme | 6gb corsair dominator 1600 (7-8-7-20) | Asus gtx 560 Ti Direct Cu II SLI| Corsair Tx 750W | Coolermaster Cm690II Advanced | 640Gb WD Black Sata 3 6gb/s |
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

It's actually finished already. Hahaha. I'm dropping it off at the NAG office tomorrow. I'll throw pics up soon :)
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Pics or it didn't happen ;) lol
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Sheesh, two pages and the mod is finished. This has to be the shortest DJV mod log ever. :lol:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah, but I wasn't really allowed to post too much about it, as NAG owns the mod, the pics, everything. So I ended up just not posting about it at all. All the projects I do this year will be logged in detail though :)