Snake case (First)

Post logs of your latest creation in here.
Vatican

Snake case (First)

Post by Vatican »

Well I have been planning this case for some time now and this is what I have ended up with! I have done some smaller mods
to some cases I have had but this will be my first case to build from scratch...

Here is some of my plans that I have!

It will be made fully out of perspex that will be fully clear! I will add some controllers for fans and lights that I will place in once case is done. I will start building next week...

So now I would like to know from you as I have read most of the forum here and would like any advise you can give that can help me.

PS: Like the forum and have learned much from all of the other projects...
RuadRauFlessa

Re: Snake case (First)

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

All I can say is that you have an interesting choice in ventilation hole placement.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Agreed. I think for one thing, the case may be a little big and awkward - imagine trying to take that thing to a LAN.

Also, your cooling fans could be better placed. Maybe go over exactly how you want the air to flow through the case, then decide on fan placement based on that.

I had a similar concept for a case which, whilst not the best idea around, could maybe help with a few ideas? The totally transparent case may not be your best option, as it exposes all of the nasty wiring etc.

This was my idea
to ápeiro anima
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Firstly, welcome to the forum. Please introduce yourself here. :mrgreen:

Then, there's something else that I noticed: your case is only as wide as your motherboard, which will restrict your graphics card choices - keep in mind that a lot of higher-end graphics cards out there are longer than a motherboard is wide.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Vatican

Post by Vatican »

Thanks... Great to have such fast reply!

Two main points that was raised i would like to clear up is the air and size choice i have made.

1. The fan on top of case and on side would be blowing in while the big fan at back and power supply will take all the air out! The air coming in will blow over as much as mother board and hard drives moving all warm air to out take. (That is what i hope for after some testing so not final yet)

2. The case is about 50cm long and 30 cm wide and only 25 cm high. This i saw after making a cut out of some paper it is not that big. I should have added that the top is also not done yet as i would like to add a handle making stuff easy to carry later on but that will only take shape as i build from bottom up.

Oh just to add that the size of mother board is an full ATX board witch there is not many cards much longer than and a 8800XT as the one i want to get will fit just fine by my measurements.

Hope this clears up most of my choices and gives more clarity of my choises.

Thanks for input as i will take all you say into consideration in making final choices.
Thanks
Freakazo

Post by Freakazo »

Vatican wrote: Oh just to add that the size of mother board is an full ATX board witch there is not many cards much longer than and a 8800GT as the one i want to get will fit just fine by my measurements.
I have a 8800GT and it is a bit longer than the mobo and longer still with the 6 pin power connectors included, so some room should be left for that

I'm going to build almost the same case as vatican, with just some personal touches.
when thinking out of the top of my head with what I want to do it will be something like this:
*Dimensions: 27.5*16*53 (w*h*l)
*3mm Lexan for the case
back, bottom and front will be one continues piece. *bended lexan and welded together
*sides will be cut out and welded to the main body
*top will be openable
*a controll unit will controll(-duh) the brightness and colour of the multi-colour leds and fan speed with pwm
*a LCD will show temps and fan speed and LED colour/brightness and stuff (controll unit can have 3 temp probes)
*When the case is opened ultra bright LEDs will turn on so that you can see what you are doing
*various other smaller custom mods

anyone know of a place with plexiglass + lexan in stock in the joburg pretoria area that's open on saturday?
Spoiler (show)
You are going to die alone!
Phenom 9850, 8800GT, 6GB 800 RAM
Prime

Post by Prime »

Freakazo wrote:
Vatican wrote: Oh just to add that the size of mother board is an full ATX board witch there is not many cards much longer than and a 8800GT as the one i want to get will fit just fine by my measurements.
I have a 8800GT and it is a bit longer than the mobo and longer still with the 6 pin power connectors included, so some room should be left for that

I'm going to build almost the same case as vatican, with just some personal touches.
when thinking out of the top of my head with what I want to do it will be something like this:
*Dimensions: 27.5*16*53 (w*h*l)
*3mm Lexan for the case
back, bottom and front will be one continues piece. *bended lexan and welded together
*sides will be cut out and welded to the main body
*top will be openable
*a controll unit will controll(-duh) the brightness and colour of the multi-colour leds and fan speed with pwm
*a LCD will show temps and fan speed and LED colour/brightness and stuff (controll unit can have 3 temp probes)
*When the case is opened ultra bright LEDs will turn on so that you can see what you are doing
*various other smaller custom mods

anyone know of a place with plexiglass + lexan in stock in the joburg pretoria area that's open on saturday?

Welcome to the forum. Please introduce yourself here and be sure to read this Enjoy your stay here. :wink:

Also rather start your own thread about your project, rather than posting the details in someone elses thread. :wink: You can find suppliers of materials, here :wink:
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Do not use 80mm fans please.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Vatican wrote:1. The fan on top of case and on side would be blowing in while the big fan at back and power supply will take all the air out! The air coming in will blow over as much as mother board and hard drives moving all warm air to out take. (That is what i hope for after some testing so not final yet)
So where exactly is this top fan you are speaking of. I can't see it unless the pics are of the case lying down.
Vatican wrote:2. The case is about 50cm long and 30 cm wide and only 25 cm high. This i saw after making a cut out of some paper it is not that big. I should have added that the top is also not done yet as i would like to add a handle making stuff easy to carry later on but that will only take shape as i build from bottom up.
Oooh I think you are mistaken in that. Yes the card is about 27cm long but you will need more than just that 3cm of clearance for the power connectors.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Vatican

Post by Vatican »

As you probably can see that me and Freakazo is working on our cases together so they look close to the same but with some smaller detail that will change. We will be starting this Saturday once we get all the stuff bought and ready for the build.

I will be posting my last and final plans soon after making some smaller changes and finishing the model!

Thanks for all the help! :mrgreen:
Vatican

Post by Vatican »

Right here is what I am going to be building in the coming weeks to take to rage! Cant wait...

The name of the case is the top of the case and the fan there will blow down into hard drives and out by the power supply again.
the other fans i added were they will be blowing and upgraded them all to 120mm fans that will later be adjustable via controller. I also added an extra 3cm behind the mother board making it now 30cm wide and 50cm long but only 18 cm high. This should make for good ventilation through the hole case.

Here are the pics:

Samaya

Post by Samaya »

The design looks decent. I would make it out of Natural see-through copper coloured plexi with white lighting on the inside. It will look WAY better than clear plexi. With clear you will see all the dust that accumulates in the case, all the tiny little scratches you make by mistake on the plexi, and all the wiring that you just cannot hide anywhere.

I do have a couple of really stupid questions though: Which side is front and where will the power buttons be? :oops:
Freakazo

Post by Freakazo »

The CD drive is the front :P

copper colour?
Spoiler (show)
Freakazo

Post by Freakazo »

Does anybody know the average price for plexiglass?

At mica they charge R1600 for clear plexiglass for a normal 1.5 m* 1m sheet. Is that how much it costs?
Spoiler (show)
Prime

Post by Prime »

Noooo! don't buy it from mica. Get it from Maizey's. Go look here :wink:
Freakazo

Post by Freakazo »

I went mazeys today actually, closed :evil:

2 hours drive for sheet (plexiglas sheet :P, I crack myself up sometimes :roll: )

So is that expensive or around the normal price? I'll have to go drive and get it so if it is just R100 more expensive it doesn't matter. (petrol price)
Spoiler (show)
Prime

Post by Prime »

You'll have to phone them and ask them. thats the best solution. and Also always phone and check what time they are open. i'd be very much supprised if they are open on weekends and if so, after 1PM.

I would think that is very expensive although i actually don't remeber what the stuff costs anymore, i bought my Poly carb for my current case's window abotu 3 years ago?? :?
Freakazo

Post by Freakazo »

Got the plexiglass today at maizeys plastics in witbank today, they asked around R600 (can't remember the exact price since I bought other stuff as well) per 3mm thick unclear(frosted/sandblasted look) sheet.

They didn't have clear plexiglas so I had to buy that frosted look sheets aswell, so my case will now look 90% the same as vaticans. So just to clear things up I'm not trying to copy everything vatican does. It just looks that way. No really I don't want to do the same as he is doing. seriously.

Since they only had 3mm and not 5mm sheets, we have to also build some kind of support for the cases.

Anyone have suggestion to make my case look different than vaticans without making very big changes to the basic design and also easy changes?

We will begin working on snakes case tonight, will keep you updated with pic and all.

[edit]Snake = Vatican
Spoiler (show)
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Witbank? :pukeright:
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Freakazo

Post by Freakazo »

hey middelburg aint much better, I was there 2 weeks ago and the number if guys with nails in their exhausts(free flows) are just scary!

And if hoender reads this, I'm sorry I didn't mean that :P
Spoiler (show)
Vatican

Post by Vatican »

Thanks Freak... Great to hear you got the plex and now the building can start!

Dont think with a case so low that support will be needed but that can only be seen after main case in built. I would say maybe you can change the color of your lighting to change the look a bit as we cant both go blue with frosted. Will look far to much the same i think!

PS: Hoender will probably agree! :mrgreen:
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

:lol:
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Freakazo

Post by Freakazo »

Vatican wrote:I would say maybe you can change the color of your lighting to change the look a bit as we cant both go blue with frosted. Will look far to much the same i think!
I'll definitely change the colour. and you know that light strobe thingys we bought I can just desolder the leds and put in my green leds.

Isn't there a physical aspect I can change, I can't think of anything
Spoiler (show)
Freakazo

Post by Freakazo »

So, we started building our cases. It didn't go bad so far, especially with the time we have available. I'll upload some pics soon.

I changed my design on the last minute, my case is now a U shape. The base plate and the two sides is a single piece wich is just bended. Doesn't look to bad, just warped at a few places but that can easily be fixed.

That's all I've done. Vatican has cut out all his pieces and glued his back plate with his base and cut a fan hole.
Spoiler (show)
Prime

Post by Prime »

Pictures? :wink: