Project: Valkyri Phase One

Post logs of your latest creation in here.
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

I added another resistor in series with the first, and it seems to be working fine with no major heating being present. Only thing is that the LEDs are not quite as bright...oh well...I'd rather have the thing work for an extended period of time than have to replace resistors every so often.

My Better Half has requested that I make her a "signboard" for the bar at their office, (after seeing my skills with perspex... :roll: ). I'll post a pic or two when done.

TGIF! Have a good one :)

Cheers,
LJ
the pen is mighter than the sword, but the word is always final
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

Time flies when you are having fun.
In my case, time flies when you don't have enough of it.

I have set up a test case with all the hardware and software paraphenalia connected. This was done in order to sort out any niggles which may be present, while modding continues - correction: should have continued - on the VPO case itself...kinda like killing 2 mozzies with one blow.
Problem is, now things are taking twice as long. Go Figure.
With the free time available, thanks to Mr Mbeki, I will be making a huge dent in this project, so stay tuned for some updates, soon to be showing on a screen near you.
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

Ok...here is a short version of the first update:

A drawing of what is to come:

The real thing completed:

Amazing how much time one saves by not taking photos of every step
:P

Some side panel work is about to take place...but breakfast first, methinks.
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

OK! Game Over!

I think it is absolutely disgusting that software is actually more of a mission than hardware :x .
F@H is continuing in the background now. No use trying to &@#$ around any more, so whatver happens, happens.

My attention is now focused on bringing VPO to fruition. Agreed? After almost 3 months, I sure as hell hope so!

I almost made the mistake of promising an update...can you believe!! I MUST refocus...

*LJ takes up Zen position and starts making gutteral noises*
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

LOL, dont worry man im in the same boat as u.

Good top panel window though, edging is clean. :wink: :wink:
Prime

Post by Prime »

Your Mod looks so awesome dude! I won't say, "hurry up and finish" because as you know, you shouldn't rush it. :wink: And your humour on your site makes for some really enjoyable reading :D

Keep it up. :D
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

Dude nice mod well done!

BTW, putting a resistor in series will double the resistance.. (Rs=R1+R2 etc...) So you will be running your leds at half their rated power... I suggest you use this http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz To work out your resistor values...

For example if you have 3 red LED's with a foward voltage of 2v and a max working current of 30ma and you supply voltage was 12v, you would need a 220ohm 1/2W resistor (the one you had looks like a 1/4W)

anyway hope that helps :P

Rob.
PCF Dumbass of the Month Award!
"My lungs are in SLI :P"
Prime

Post by Prime »

Wat should work is to take make up two sets of parallel resistors and put them in series. This will reduce the current by splitting it across two branches. But keep your resistance the same :) or you could just buy the correct wattage resistor as Rob said ;)
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

da_ripper wrote:Wat should work is to take make up two sets of parallel resistors and put them in series. This will reduce the current by splitting it across two branches. But keep your resistance the same :) or you could just buy the correct wattage resistor as Rob said ;)
lol true that should work as long as all resistors are very close to each other(in terms of resistance and tollarance) but whats the point of using 4 1/4W's when you can use a single 1/2W lol... unless you have the 1/4W's lying around.. lol
PCF Dumbass of the Month Award!
"My lungs are in SLI :P"
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

*LJ untangles from meditative position*

Thanks for the comments guys.
I just replaced the 1/4 watt with a 1/2 watt resistor...thanks for the advice.
your site makes for some really enjoyable reading
Thanks for the compliment, Dude. That reminds me I'll have to update that site soon, it is way overdue :)

I am just uploading some shots. They will appear in a short while.

Cheers,
LJ
Prime

Post by Prime »

RobThePyro wrote:
da_ripper wrote:Wat should work is to take make up two sets of parallel resistors and put them in series. This will reduce the current by splitting it across two branches. But keep your resistance the same :) or you could just buy the correct wattage resistor as Rob said ;)
lol true that should work as long as all resistors are very close to each other(in terms of resistance and tollarance) but whats the point of using 4 1/4W's when you can use a single 1/2W lol... unless you have the 1/4W's lying around.. lol
that was my logic, as he had a huge batch of resistors(but i don't know that those were the same ones) :lol:
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

True. I have a shyte load of 1/4 watt resistors. But I also have 1/2 watt ones :)

Ok, now that photobucket has finally allowed me to upload my pics, here it is:

The T-shaped structure will be part of the side cover. But I messed up by making the upright part too short :evil:

A speaker grid used for mu...never mind. A speaker grid being donor to my idea :twisted:

The better part of folding at home...it works.

"V" cut-out. A P and an O is still in the planning stages, but will most certainly be done.

The folded grid in place.

Upright part as mentioned before, corrected, and "V" placed in to give you an idea of what is to come.

LED's on in full glory, highlighting the V, with no lights on in my shed.

The idea is that one would not see whatever is behind the copper mesh until room lights are dimmed.

The best part is that it looks a helluva lot better than I could have ever imagined (even with sketchup doing its rendition)

Cheers,
LJ

PS: The alluminium parts' natural colour will not remain for very long.
Prime

Post by Prime »

looks interesting. can't wait to see more :D
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

progress, albeit a bit slow and tedious...

The remaining letters have been cut out. Here are two shots...one plain and the second more or less arranged like they will be installed:

The lower led rail has been soldered:

Tested:

And epoxied into place:

Then two shots at slightly different angles, to demonstrate the effect:

Hope te pics make sence...

LJ
Prime

Post by Prime »

looking good man. damn you have skills with that mesh :D
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

I just had to reread the last 3 pages of your mod to get back up to speed with it...

@LJ: You have some seriously good skills showing up in your mod. Your mod is looking absolutely great. Great work and keep it up.
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

Thank you guys. As I said before, your support adds to my feel good attitude :D...Oh crap, I have a song coming on...Dr Feelgude! :lol:

man, did that bring back memories :twisted:

Thanks again :)

I'm currently stuck between the bottle and the label, as to what next, but have no fear, it will appear.
I've spent some time on my site, consolidating stuff and it appears that I am now able to add more content...how to say? WOOTNESS!!!

In other developments, voided warranty has changed ownership and name, now known as appetitefortech.com, for those who are interrested. The site certainly loads much faster due to a new server/host thingy.
They are running a competition and Bill Owen is one of the judges, can you believe! anyway the competition is open to all types of mods from keybords to mice et all, and is not based on the spec of machine, but rather on the quality of the mod. Some nice prizes up for grabs, though I'm not sure that we , being in the deep South, would qualify...I'll find out.

Cheers
LJ
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Awesome work dude. I'm always so impressed when i read your log. Keep it up :D
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Lithe_Joint

Re: Project: Valkyri Phase One

Post by Lithe_Joint »

Thanks DJV,I kinda got lost in the ethereal mists of the whole friggin' time space continuem(at this point in time, forgive spelling eerors and perhaps a sintacs error here and there....go figure.

See, it's like this. I installed all my hardware on a test rig. Great. Not.

I have had so many problems with Vista Ultimate that it has now lived up to its name...ULTIMATE pain in the backside...

So, anyone up to the challenge, critisism and flame wars notwithstanding, to please advise us deprived indivciduals on a better way to negate the ultimate experience.

Here is a hint. Don't tell me to use apple or linux or any other non-sensical OS. I bought Vista, and I want to use the f*(KiNG thing properly.

WTF,

LJ
Prime

Post by Prime »

Lithe_Joint wrote:Thanks DJV,I kinda got lost in the ethereal mists of the whole friggin' time space continuem(at this point in time, forgive spelling eerors and perhaps a sintacs error here and there....go figure.

See, it's like this. I installed all my hardware on a test rig. Great. Not.

I have had so many problems with Vista Ultimate that it has now lived up to its name...ULTIMATE pain in the backside...

So, anyone up to the challenge, critisism and flame wars notwithstanding, to please advise us deprived indivciduals on a better way to negate the ultimate experience.

Here is a hint. Don't tell me to use apple or linux or any other non-sensical OS. I bought Vista, and I want to use the f*(KiNG thing properly.

WTF,

LJ

Ok, well what problems are you having? i'm using ultimate 64 :twisted:
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

By that rationalle, you must be experiencing much more hassles with getting the correct signed drivers for your rig. I take my hat off to you, Prime.

There seems to be a Windows Update problem. The updates have downloaded, and should install when the machine is powered down...it says installing updates 1 of 4, every single time. I checked update history, and it says update cancelled.

Guess what MS would like me to do? Go to the update website, and look for updates! Nada. In fact, the checking for updates dialogue box seems to be stuck, because it does not advance any further than the green tickertape at the top, scrolling across my screen.

"Dear Microsoft,
What is the point of going to a site, which is probably the main cause of this entire stuff-up in the first place?", is what I am thinking right now.

Do a system restore, you say. I say been there done that...the last restore point contains the flippin' fault, no other restore points available. Yes I did delete all but the most recent restore point, some time ago, but this has been going on for what feels like decades. In fact, since the birth of mini-me-VPO in April this year.

Your help would be appreciated.
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

A break-through of sorts...Windows update is now in my start menu. Seems like things are moving forward for a change.

Ok. thats that then. Seems like the problem is kinda resolved. 8024001b means that the windows update app. is busy installing updates. Lets see what happens...all going well, I may just be able to get this darn thing sorted.

And then ladies and gentlemen it is on with the show. If you enjoy this kinda thing...
Prime

Post by Prime »

Generally haven't had any driver problems. Only with silly things like my ibust modem. I've had more hassles trying to get games to run :roll:
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

Such is life that, should you decide to build a PC, it is advisable to head a word of warning every now and then.
Let me categorically state that it has absolutely nothing to do with Hardware, or, for that matter, weird software.
I do not classify Vista as weird software. Not yet, anyway. :P

I'm just comparing the amount of time I've EVER spent sorting out a virus problem, with the amount of time I've been spending trying to get this OS to work properly for a change.

Guess which one took less time AND effort, and will never stick its ugly head out in polite society again?

(no not vista, peanut :) )
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

this mod has been well worth the wait.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken