Project: 777 (Finally a small update 18-04-2008)

Post logs of your latest creation in here.
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Quiet? erm...Not really
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

viceroy wrote:Quiet? erm...Not really
My TriCools are quiet.
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

They're not too bad but they are not the quietest things around
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Lithe_Joint wrote:What's the story with the overheating PSU?

I'd think that having 2 fans installed, should sort it one-time.(unless the interior case temp is excessive...)
LONG story :lol: I added those LED fans (cheap Vantec thingies) and as time went by they started slowing down. Remember a few pages back it shows how I installed them. The airflow on those things is crap. Im going to replace them with the Antec fans today and hopefully post a update. Im not working today and it feels like one of those days when I gotta do some modding :wink:

TriCools FTW!!! I've probably been through close to 10 different types of fans and the TriCools are definatly on top. You probably could find better performance fans that are quiet if you import, but my budget says a big no no :cry:
haja

Post by haja »

heya,

Ye, the tri-cools are not bad fans at all, on medium and low settings. However, on high, they make a really nasty hum.

Funny enough, if you import some fans with some other stuff, they turn out quite reasonalbe at about R100 ex shipping. SO about 4 fans would cost you about R560 with shipping, thats R140 a fan. Those would be some scythe fans, with high airflow (70+ CFM) and lowish noise (high 20's DB).

Not saying you should do it, and if I had to chose a locally available fan, i would also take the Tri-cools.
ecthelion

Post by ecthelion »

so is tricools the best fans to get localy? :?

oh....i stil dont get how the PSU can be overheating? thats a mystery to me :oops:
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

ecthelion wrote:so is tricools the best fans to get localy? :?

oh....i stil dont get how the PSU can be overheating? thats a mystery to me :oops:
I would definately recommend getting TriCools. They are the best fans I've used and a couple of people on the forum aswel. I think its safe to get them if DAE uses them with his mods :wink:

*EDIT: Im also confused about that, but as soon as I close the PSU, my PC restarts and goes mad, I take the cover off and it works fine. I've also found that when I take the PSU cover off the PSU is insanely hot... First time I've seen something like this 8O
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Hey, yet another update! Hoping to give you guys lots more, I gotta make up for those 2 months when nothing happened!

The Vantec fans uninstalled

Going to be replacing the Vantec fans with the TriCools. Vantecs at the bottom

Antecs installed

An in action shot of the fans working

And another...

Now as you can see, I havnt connected the fans to the PSU fan connectors as they only have a 2-pin connector. I did that with the last fans and things didnt work out so well. Im running a couple of benchmarks and I'll see if the Antecs are stable with the lid open. If all goes well, I'll close up the PSU and put it in my case and close everything up and see what happens. If that doesnt work... I'll start saving for yet another PSU, probably AOpen 500W
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

SHWEEEET!!!! I've been running my system under stress for just over 2 hours and it hasnt crashed yet!

Hopefully gonna do some more modding during the week!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Nice :D
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

Cool dude :D (no pun intended :) )

Hmmm...not connected to psu fan header...are you going to control them through a fancontroller panel, or are you running them straight off of a 12V molex?
the pen is mighter than the sword, but the word is always final
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Lithe_Joint wrote:Cool dude :D (no pun intended :) )

Hmmm...not connected to psu fan header...are you going to control them through a fancontroller panel, or are you running them straight off of a 12V molex?
Lol :lol:
Yeah, They connected to the fan controller but I've set the speed on the fan to high and when my systems on load I'll pump up the speed from the fan controller (which is most of the time :wink: ) It should work all ok, havnt had any problems over two days of running my PC
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

Agreed, that is the most failsafe way of doing things.
I've connected 2 fans to the fan header of my psu but methinks, after seeing your troubles, that I might have to rethink my strategy. :roll:

Good luck and keep us posted :)
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Lithe_Joint wrote:Agreed, that is the most failsafe way of doing things.
I've connected 2 fans to the fan header of my psu but methinks, after seeing your troubles, that I might have to rethink my strategy. :roll:

Good luck and keep us posted :)
Just remember that most fans (I think :?: ) have three wires and my PSU header only had a two pin connecter. After rewiring the 3 wires to a 2wire fan I think I lost power somewhere. The fans wernt spinning at half the speed they where supposed to, making the PSU damn hot...

Anyway, I remember a couple guys asking me to post a pic of the modder for Project 777 after taking pics of some shiny perspex... Here you go...

This is a pic of me and my girlfriend at the Just Jinjer gig in Kirstenbosch (CPT)
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Yet another sad update guys :cry:

My PSU is playing up again, even with the new fans installed. I should be getting a pretty nice payslip next week Thursday so Im hopefully gonna have enough cash to buy a new PSU, after that, Im spending money on my modding kit (hole saws, dremmel etc)
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Right, I've been told that because of me passing matric they are gonna buy me something. I really need a new PSU so I think Im going with that. Will update again when its installed

If only I could get a 8800 GTX rather :cry:
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Finally, got some cash, heres what Im getting:

PSU (undecided)

Ordered (Hoping they arrive on Monday latest):

2x Antec 80mm TriCool Fans - Blue

ViZo MTP-201 Master Panel II
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

What is holding you back on deciding what psu you need to get?
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

OK, Im thinking about getting this one:

iSonic Omega Megapower 600W

P4 / AMD ATX POWER SUPPLY
WITH 1 X BLUE LED 80MM & 1 X BLACK 80MM COOLING FANS
S-ATA CONNECTORS
PCI-E 6-PIN CONNECTORS
20+4 PINS
DUAL RAILS +12V OUTPUT . ATX 2.0 STANDARD
PFC , AUTO FAN SPEED CONTROL
OVER LOAD PROTECTION
OVER VOLTAGE PROTECTION
SHORT CIRCUIT PROTECTION

Dunno if its any good though, Im on a bit of a budget :cry:
Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

those are NICE psu's!!!!!
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

oeeee!!!! silv3rback... I think I dated your GF... 4 times... :lol:

She looks EXACTLY like one of my x's, which is NOT a good thing!! :-D

BTW: It's official, your a DJV equal... in looks that is! BUT: DJV > Scruffy > silv3rback :lol: :lol: (j/k)

Whens the next big update coming? With lots of modding and stuff!! And I like the new PSU.. VERY nice. :-D
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Spicy-McHaggis wrote:those are NICE psu's!!!!!
Cool, then I'll be getting one of those. 600W of goodness :D

DarkRanger wrote:oeeee!!!! silv3rback... I think I dated your GF... 4 times...

She looks EXACTLY like one of my x's, which is NOT a good thing!!

BTW: It's official, your a DJV equal... in looks that is! BUT: DJV > Scruffy > silv3rback (j/k)

Whens the next big update coming? With lots of modding and stuff!! And I like the new PSU.. VERY nice.
Dunno if I should flame you, smack you or just lol :wink: :lol: Post a pic of your x if you still got them laying around, and maybe PM me your name and details so if it turns out that you did I can come hunt you down :wink:
Just playing dude :lol:

Mmm, DJV look alike, now if only I could mod like him. I wish!!!
Hoping to get some modding done today and tomorrow since I've got the whole week off from work! Just realised that my mod should be finished by 07-07-2007, which is tomorrow. Cant see that happening, oh well, its just the name!
Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

yeah you dont have cables hanging arround that u dont need! making it more airflow friendly in the case :)...
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Thats exactly what I want, thats why I thought that PSU would be a good idea :D Im picking it up on Friday and hopefully my order will come through then aswel or latest Monday/Tuesday. I'll have the PSU in by Saturday and will update then!
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

silv3rback wrote:Just realised that my mod should be finished by 07-07-2007, which is tomorrow. Cant see that happening, oh well, its just the name!
Just to let you know, tomorrow is 07-06-2007... So you've got a month to do the rest!! :-P