Project: 777 (Finally a small update 18-04-2008)

Post logs of your latest creation in here.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

DarkRanger wrote:oooo. looky reflection in perspex. dude, post a pic of yourself so we can atleast see if this mods creator is as scruffy as DJV!! :lol:
LOL!!!!
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

lol
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

DarkRanger wrote:oooo. looky reflection in perspex. dude, post a pic of yourself so we can atleast see if this mods creator is as scruffy as DJV!!
lol! I'll try find a pic of myself on my PC tonight and post it when I can or I'll take a pic later this weekend... if I must :wink:

Thanks for all the views guys, over 10000!!! Thats pretty cool. 60000 away from Epiphany, not like you can really compare the two mods though!
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

OK, not so cool update...

After rewiring my PSU all was going well until I started using my PC under stress. I started processing mp3's (500 of them) which clearly puts the hardware under strain especially the CPU, my PC still restarts :evil:
I opened up my PSU again and it was REALLY hot, I think those fans I installed earlier on in the mod dont cope so well... Im going to try other fans and if that doesnt work Im probably gonna buy a new PSU, not Codegen this time though, probably Huntkey 500W from Cafe Java
Im also wanting to sell my mobo and RAM so I can upgrade those parts. I've seen there is a BioStar mobo at Cafe Java, does anyone know if they any good? I need a new mobo so my GFX Card can run at 16x instead of only 4x with my ASUS mobo. Also my RAM is gonna be upgraded to DDR2
Citi-surfer

Post by Citi-surfer »

Siver3rback putting electronic components on a carpet is not the such a great idea, the static build is sufficient to short out certain component, rather lay it on the anti-static bags it came in or on the boxes.
haja

Post by haja »

heya,

I notice your 2 Antec fans on the side are push / pull. Do you have any other fans in your case (other than the gpu, psu and cpu)?

I would suggest making the side panel fans push air in (fresh air on the cpu and ram and NB) and a 120mm fan at the back (aboce the card slots) pulling out, and one in front of the hdd's pulling out, or at the top, pulling out.

This should help with your caseflow, and getting the hot air out.

What are you mobo temps?
Use this prog (if you don't have 1 allready) to check : http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html (It is Everest, nice prog)

cya :)
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Citi-surfer wrote:Siver3rback putting electronic components on a carpet is not the such a great idea, the static build is sufficient to short out certain component, rather lay it on the anti-static bags it came in or on the boxes.
Umm... thanks....
haja wrote:heya,

I notice your 2 Antec fans on the side are push / pull. Do you have any other fans in your case (other than the gpu, psu and cpu)?

I would suggest making the side panel fans push air in (fresh air on the cpu and ram and NB) and a 120mm fan at the back (aboce the card slots) pulling out, and one in front of the hdd's pulling out, or at the top, pulling out.

This should help with your caseflow, and getting the hot air out.

What are you mobo temps?
Use this prog (if you don't have 1 allready) to check : http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html (It is Everest, nice prog)
Thanks buddy, I was never really that good with the hole fan placement story. The case Im modding doesnt have space for a 120mm fan at the back :cry: Cant even cut a hole and squase it in so Im gonna have to work with that 80mm fan. OK, so my 2 fans on the panel and going to blow air in, back fan is going to blow air out, front fan blowing in (to cool the HDD) and the roof fan (120mm) is blowing air out. That sound better?
Mobo temps arent too bad, around 30-35deg.

Thanks for the interest in my mod dude!

Mini update:

I know my PSU is stuffed. Tried my friends Huntkey 500W and it works fine, no restarts or problems... I can get Huntkey PSU's quite cheap but Im wondering if they any good?! Anyone know?

Also, I think Im gonna upgrade my mobo. PCI-e 4x aint doing so well with me any more :wink:
First its the PSU though, Im gonna try get a new one this weekend some time and then the mobo will come next, then another 1GB RAM.... damn, there goes all my salary! If (hopefully!!!!!!) I have some cash left over Im gonna buy that 114mm hole saw for my roof fan support and try get to Maizey's aswel for some new perspex....
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

I'm glad you found the source of your mod's misfortune :)
Cheap? Good? What sort of prices are you looking at?
the pen is mighter than the sword, but the word is always final
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Lithe_Joint wrote:I'm glad you found the source of your mod's misfortune :)
I can get the Huntkey 500W PSU for R449, so maybe something in that price range. Just wanting to know if that brand is any good and it wont explode all over my hardware in a few months of use :wink:
Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

silv3rback wrote:I can get the Huntkey 500W PSU for R449,
:|

I paid R600 for my 400W... Antec Slientpower 2.0
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

silv3rback wrote:
Lithe_Joint wrote:I'm glad you found the source of your mod's misfortune :)
I can get the Huntkey 500W PSU for R449, so maybe something in that price range. Just wanting to know if that brand is any good and it wont explode all over my hardware in a few months of use :wink:
Sorry for the sceptisism, but in my experience with electronic appliances, I've found that cheap is usually nasty. Are you prepared to take the risk?
On the other hand, R449 for a 500w PSU is an opportunity not to be missed :)
haja

Post by haja »

check out a review, seems pretty good :)

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=537
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Spicy-McHaggis wrote:I paid R600 for my 400W... Antec Slientpower 2.0
I dont think thats a bad price to pay for a Antec PSU. Arent they supposed to be pretty good?

Lithe_Joint wrote:Sorry for the sceptisism, but in my experience with electronic appliances, I've found that cheap is usually nasty. Are you prepared to take the risk?
On the other hand, R449 for a 500w PSU is an opportunity not to be missed
No worries, I know exactly where you coming from! I've had some of the same experiences with cheap hardware! I've read the review that haja posted (thanks buddy :D ) And it seems like a pretty decent PSU brand. I think I'll go with that!

Thanks for all the views and comments guys, will hopefully have some big updates for you soon!
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

haja wrote:check out a review, seems pretty good :)

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=537
It might have gotten a decent review, but using 20AWG instead of the reccommended 18AWG cables? And the soldering looks suspect and very untidy.

Personally I wouldn't, but it's up to you.

I paid a LOT more than R600 for my Antec Truepower 2.0 480W and I'm very very impressed with it and its quality.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

viceroy wrote:It might have gotten a decent review, but using 20AWG instead of the reccommended 18AWG cables? And the soldering looks suspect and very untidy.

Personally I wouldn't, but it's up to you.

I paid a LOT more than R600 for my Antec Truepower 2.0 480W and I'm very very impressed with it and its quality.
Thanks for your imput dude, you've made me change my choice! I also saw the soldering and thought it looked a little dodge! Also the fact it doesnt come with a power cable is really budget sounding...
My 2 new options are:

iSonic Omega Megapower 600W
CoolerMaster Extreme Power 550W

I've heard quite a lot of good things about both PSU's. I would go with the first choice purely because it has the modular cabling system and is 50W more than the Antec...
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

More hardware upgrades, this is driving me insane! At least Im gonna have some decent hardware at the end of this mod!
Check this thread for more info on the mobo and RAM Im planning on getting. Its a Biostar TFORCE 945P mobo with 1GB DDR2 667 RAM. Check the For Sale thread to look for my current rig that Im gonna be selling to contribute towards the upgrade. Thanks to all the guys that helped out with the choices and advice!

On the modding side, money is seriously tight at the moment and the kob Im in is giving MAJOR problems, but hopefully Im getting a job somewhere in the IT sector and then the cash will (hopefully) come rolling in! I cant wait to attatch that grill that Ettienne sent me a while back!
I'll keep you guys posted on whats happening!
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Sorry about the lack of updates at the moment guys, things are going k@k at the moment with this mod. The PSU is messed, so its sitting outside my case and I still cant afford a hole saw or new perspex... As soon as something changes hardware or mod wise, I'll update asap so you guys can finally see something!
Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

silv3rback wrote:
Spicy-McHaggis wrote:I paid R600 for my 400W... Antec Slientpower 2.0
I dont think thats a bad price to pay for a Antec PSU. Arent they supposed to be pretty good?
Yeah i love it! its actually silent...

ur mod is coming on good now..

i cancelled my mod until i got a better case....

comin soon!
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Sorry for the serious lack of updates on this mod. I've been so damn busy the past couple of months and the cash flow sucks! Im only getting shifted a couple days a week so I only get to set aside small amounts of cash per week for my mod

This is what still needs to be done:

Sort PSU out, the fans are giving up...
Install 120mm fan with DAE's grille that he made me
Couple of small tweaks, and then Im done
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

FINALLY a update for you guys, its not much but Im gonna try keep them coming as soon as I get a chance to do some more modding!

Here's the grille that Ett made me ages ago. Big ups to him, its gonna look awesome on my case, just hope I dont break it when Im drilling the support holes

This is what my desk looks like. I had to take the PSU out. I changed the fans a while back but they dont seem to be working so nicely. The PSU is over heating like mad

Those fans, not really doing the job so Im gonna replace them with the...

...Antec ones
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Enjoy the grille dude :D

Tricools FTW :D
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Enjoy the grille dude :D

Tricools FTW :D
I will definatly! Thanks again for making it. Now I just gotta find the time and money to make it, still waiting on buying that 114mm hole saw
Those TriCools are amazing, best fans I've ever used

Thanks for the views guys :D
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

What's the story with the overheating PSU?

I'd think that having 2 fans installed, should sort it one-time.(unless the interior case temp is excessive...)
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

Uhm, ot question, what makes the tricools better. Coz then i will invest in them for my PC mod...
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Well i just love the tricools. They're nice and quiet, and perform well. They also have that fan control switch which is nice