Project: 777 (Finally a small update 18-04-2008)

Post logs of your latest creation in here.
WAJeff

Project: 777 (Finally a small update 18-04-2008)

Post by WAJeff »

Watsup. I've finally come to a final descision to mod my new chassis. Its my first mod (apart from my last chassis that I sprayed black) so its probably not going to look the most professional but Im willing to give it a shot and see how it turns out. I just finished school and Im working now, which means I can buy alot of stuff to put towards my project!

Heres the stuff Im gonna be using:

ImageChassis - bought

Image4x 80mm Fans

Image2xATA Cables - bought

Image2x Fan Grills - still to buy

ImageSATA Cable - must get a SATA drive 1st :wink:

ImageRAM Heatsink - still to buy

ImagePCI Fan - still to buy

ImageSystem Monitor Panel - still to buy

ImageCPU Cooler - still to buy

Image5xUV CCFL - still to buy

ImageCable Sleeving Kit - bough

ImageMolex Connecter Kit - still to buy

I still got lots to buy, but before I do that it would be cool to get sugestions from you guys and give me tips and advice

Chassis Perspex Windows:

240mm length
290mm width

Window Fans:

2 Fans
4x70mm fan support holes

Fan placement:
1x front - HDD
1x back - above GPU
2x Window Fans - MB

CCFL Placement:

2xUV CCFL - bottom window
2xUV CCFL - top window
1xUV CCFL - side window

Perspex Window:

350mmx400mm

Plan:

Hardware:

Fans - Vantec Spectrum Clear UV
PCI Slot Fan - ViZo PCL-201 Dual Fan with Blue LED
Thermaltake A1721 UV CCFL
Thermaltake A2259 HardCano Fan Controller
Vantec ATA 45cm Rounded ATA Cable - Black
Thermaltake A2120 SATA 50cm Cable - Green
Zalman CNPS7700-AlCu - CPU Cooler
Thermaltake CL-C0001 TrueLight RAM Heatsink
Codegen 6203L Middle Tower Chassis

Let me know what you guys think!
Last edited by WAJeff on 18 Apr 2008, 09:20, edited 56 times in total.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

That mod is going to be great. But just some advise, get yourself a Zalman cooler instead of the TT one. The TT WILL cause you endless amounts of pain.

What are you planning on using to cut the window with?
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

Looks promising... Yeah, agree with Sam, go with Zalman...
Also, why you not get the set of the sleeving with the connectors?
Didn't they have of the color you wanted? It works out a few bucks cheaper...
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah all is looking good :D

Why did you chose 80mm fans though? :?
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Be careful of UV :) Can have bad effects on your cables, or so I have heard. 120mm fans are way nicer man ;)
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Why did you chose 80mm fans though? :?
I agree - 120mm fans will spin slower, so they will be quieter.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Samaya wrote:That mod is going to be great. But just some advise, get yourself a Zalman cooler instead of the TT one. The TT WILL cause you endless amounts of pain.
Cool, Thanks for the advice. I've updated the hardware Im gonna be using!
Samaya wrote:What are you planning on using to cut the window with?
I dont have a dremel. I could get one but my Dad has a whole lot of tools in his shed. What else could I do or where could I get a dremel if its the best tool to use

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Why did you chose 80mm fans though?
My chassis cant support the 120mm fans. Im planning on getting 4 80mm fans though...

I34z1k wrote:Be careful of UV Can have bad effects on your cables, or so I have heard. 120mm fans are way nicer man
The only reason Im getting UV CCFL's is because Im getting the UV reative fans and my cable sleeving kit is reactive to UV...Im gonna check the net to see if I can find any more info on this though! Thanks for the head ups man
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Look what I got today!!!!

ImageChassis

Image2x ATA Cables

ImageCable Sleeving Kit

I put my mobo in the new chassis and thought it was going well, then came the cable sleeving....Im not really going to comment on that....Ok fine, it was ****!!!
This was my work station, not the neatest:

Once I'd got that sorted I plugged everything onto the mobo. Note the gaps in the case: Im still waiting for my Core 2 Duo CPU, RAM and PSU. I'll get the more expensive bits the more I work but for now, Im concentrating more on the cheaper parts.
This was my final outcome after hours of work:

Duno how the cables where supposed to look like or if the job I did was ok...
Pino

Post by Pino »

Use a hairdryer to shrink to heatshrink :wink:
Jesus loves you , But you are still a n00b.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

silv3rback wrote:
Samaya wrote:What are you planning on using to cut the window with?
I dont have a dremel. I could get one but my Dad has a whole lot of tools in his shed. What else could I do or where could I get a dremel if its the best tool to use
From Makro for R200..

Ask for an Enhell Engraving Tool
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Pino wrote:Use a hairdryer to shrink to heatshrink
Will try do that tomorrow and post some pics of a close up! Shot for the advice[/quote]
W1K wrote:From Makro for R200..

Ask for an Enhell Engraving Tool
I get paid on Friday so I must see if I can drive out to Makro and get it! Should I rather get the Dremmel or a bit more hardware? Not sure on what to do first
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Cant I use a Jig Saw? I've seen Dremels in action and they look really hard to use and I dont wanna mess up my mod. I have a Jig Saw at home aswel which would save me some money...
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Well depending on what you want to cut. I havn't seen the pics because I'm on GPRS...but if it's mostly long straight lines a Jigsaw will be good!

Good Luck With The Mod
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Thats what Im looking to do. I want to have a square window but the corners should be rounded. How would I do that? Im probably gonna go with the Jig Saw, just because its gonna work out to less!

If I get UV CCFL's will they damage the cables? I read that earlia in the thread. If I get normal CCFL's will they still make the UV reactive fans and cable sleeves glow. Sorry about all the questions... :cry:

Your advice is helping alot tho W1K
Judas

Post by Judas »

That's a nice chassis you got there, and your mod idea looks pretty cool - be sure to keep us posted with the pics :D

Unfortunately I don't know much about modding so I can't be of much help, but I'm interested to see how it turns out!
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

silv3rback wrote:Thats what Im looking to do. I want to have a square window but the corners should be rounded. How would I do that? Im probably gonna go with the Jig Saw, just because its gonna work out to less!

If I get UV CCFL's will they damage the cables? I read that earlia in the thread. If I get normal CCFL's will they still make the UV reactive fans and cable sleeves glow. Sorry about all the questions... :cry:

Your advice is helping alot tho W1K
Ok. Well I wanted to experiment with perfect holes but never got around to do it. I wanted to use a hole saw for it and then just cut the straigts with the jig and then nicely file it away...

Otherwise you can use the jig but I really cant advise that. You can cut about 1mm from the edge and do a lot of filing and sanding. That would be your best option. Otherwise...Dremels make nice circles.

And I've never heard of this UV CCFL mystery. I don't feel like looking up on it because I'm not a huge fan of UV's. But I guess it is possible. And normal CCFL's won't make your Fans/Cables glow like that.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Judas wrote:That's a nice chassis you got there, and your mod idea looks pretty cool - be sure to keep us posted with the pics

Unfortunately I don't know much about modding so I can't be of much help, but I'm interested to see how it turns out!
I was wondering when you where gonna post bro! I will definatly keep everyone posted. I just hope it all works out ok as my first time. Im gonna be really p***** off if it flops! Keep checking here though, Im working now so Im gonna have more cash to buy hardware! Hopefully Im gonna be all done by end of Feb next year
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

silv3rback wrote:Cant I use a Jig Saw? I've seen Dremels in action and they look really hard to use and I dont wanna mess up my mod. I have a Jig Saw at home aswel which would save me some money...
Trust me on this it has to be a high powered jig saw nothing less that 600watt or else your going to bent the edges or worse bent the whole panel...
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

wizardofid wrote:Trust me on this it has to be a high powered jig saw nothing less that 600watt or else your going to bent the edges or worse bent the whole panel...
Oh balls! There goes my budget plan. Anyway, Im gonna look just now to see what kinda Jig Saw we have. Otherwise I must just go out and get a Dremel and give it a shot

Thanks for all the advice guys, your helping loads
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Does anyone know where I can get 80mm fan grills from? Prefereably the one on the 1st page...It can look anything similar to this:

or maybe this one:

or this one :lol: :

Anyone that has a account with Frontier-Electontics please PM me and we can organise a profit or something...
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

You CAN use a jigsaw. I've used a jigsaw to cut a window and it worked perfectly. I would cut a window with a jigsaw before i try with a dremmel, seriously.

Anyway, looking good dude.

And BTW, you said your case doesn't support 120mm fans? Forgive me, but isn't this a mod? ;) Mod the case and MAKE it support 120mm fans ;)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
qace

Post by qace »

Does anyone know where I can get 80mm fan grills from? Prefereably the one on the 1st page...It can look anything similar to this:
Try Naked IT - http://www.nakedit.co.za/Computer/defau ... %20MODDING
Anyone that has a account with Frontier-Electontics please PM me and we can organise a profit or something...
You don't need an account to buy from Frontier-Electontics.
Great mod , keep the updates comming.
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

Ok well, as for rounding the windows... if u got a jigsaw, dont count on it... go to a Motor spares place and get some Trimming That shud fit around the edge of ur Cutout, Stick the perspex on the inside... and umm Cut it at a 45' angle so it fits in as if it were 100% made for that
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

When using a Jigsaw you should just use a fine tooth blade. Use the finest one you can get. It doesn't really make a difference on the power. The power only makes a difference when you try to cut different materials. Stuff like steel rods and 6mm plate steel. Remember to cover the panel with masking tape before you cut anything. Put like two layers on the work area. Mark out where you want to cut and then cut. Just do yourself a favour and cut about 1mm away from the line and not on the line. That way if you make a mistake you can rectify it with a file. Take your time when cutting with the jigsaw, if you are too hasty you can make mistakes. Cut slowly and you wont make many or any mistakes. I still do it this way when I cut stuff.

To cut a round corner, this can be tricky. What I usually do is cut up the point where the corner starts and then cut at away from the rounding towards the other start of the rounded corner. I finish the total window cutout and then only start with the corners. What I do with the corners is as follows: Cut towards the round line stopping just short of actual line. Do this a couple of times. Space the cuts about 5mm apart. Now cut those "fingers" away (NOT YOUR OWN - PLEASE) following the line. This way the blade of the saw doesn't get stuck in between the metal. File down the excess metal until your on the line.

As for the UV causing damage to cables, this is true when they are out in the sun and the cable sleeving/covering cannot withstand UV rays. So unless you plan on using an Eskom power station for a PSU and you have a gazillion UV lamps in your case you shouldn't have a problem.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:And BTW, you said your case doesn't support 120mm fans? Forgive me, but isn't this a mod? Mod the case and MAKE it support 120mm fans
Right, good point on that! Should I use 2x 120mm fans on the inside of the chassis and 2x 80mm fans on the window? Im just not sure on how to mod the inside fan supports to 120mm from 80mm... The fans will probably come last though. Next thing I wanna do is the perspex window

@ Samaya: Thanks for all the advice dude. Im gonna print the info out and follow it. Im a bit nervy to cut the window out. The last thing I want is to screw it up. I think its gonna be one of those days where the fiancee goes out with friends and I stay home, mod and take pics :D
Will be getting the UV CCFL's then...unless I can find a Eskom Power Station for sale :wink: