Project: Supanaut (The PSU has blown and I had to replace)

Post logs of your latest creation in here.
Samaya

Project: Supanaut (The PSU has blown and I had to replace)

Post by Samaya »

I've started a new mod and am going to log my progress. I am aiming to finish it by the end of the month but I already foresee problems. Such as anodising the whole thing black. Which company will be open after the 15th?

I have already bought the Aluminium for R260, had it bent and shaped to my design (I'll post pics on monday of that). I still need to get 5 new black ball bearing fans with their grills or I am wonderig if I shouldn't get some special grills for the box... I have an old box that I will be stripping for parts (Such as the mobo tray, I'll post a pic on monday aswell of the old box). There are 4 pieces of alu I forgot to get for the frame of the sides. I also still need some hinges for the "bonnet".

Does anybody know where I can get gas lifter's? You know those things that are fitted to your cars boot lid to keep it up. I need only one.

For the sides I am thinking a darkish colour UV perspex, Blue or maybe Green. Orange could also work. Any suggestions on this?
Last edited by Samaya on 16 Jul 2011, 15:40, edited 30 times in total.
Law

Post by Law »

Try your local car part stores. If they dont have the can point u in the right direction

gl and hf
Belix

Post by Belix »

yeah, but something strong enough to lift a car bonnet / boot would probably be way to strong. Perhaps a furniture manufacturer? Our tv cabinet has gas lifters

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
MunkiJivE

Post by MunkiJivE »

What is your goal with this mod? What is it that you want it to end up as?
It would be easier to make suggestions if we knew what you are trying to do!
But it sounds interisting all the same. Gas lifters, Anodised aluminium, UV Perspex...I'm liking it so far!!
Futs

Post by Futs »

Should add a smoke maker/machine so that when it opens up you see the biochamber effects
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

What I'm trying to do is getting the pc to open like a cars bonnet. IOW the whole top, front and sides lift up to reveal the insides. I am still looking for a company to do the anodising for me though.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

The promised pics

This part is the front and top

This is basically the shape and size of the case

This is the bonnet idea
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

I finally got my 5 ball bearing fans with dust covers. Still looking for some buttons. I ordered UV lamps (Corex so its Thermaltake) I will probably only get the UV perspex next week. The anodising will have to wait until next year.

I'm going to start the assembly (HOPEFULLY) this weekend, if I'm not working
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

I have decided that this project is late and will now be known as ''The not december project but probably February'' project.
Mal

Post by Mal »

Its very interesting, keep posting pics of ur progress!
MrBean

Post by MrBean »

pics?
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

MrBean wrote:pics?
I'll post some pix on Monday.

Haven't had lots of time to work on the mod but this weekend I'll try to finish the metal working. The frame for the perspex, the frame for the mobo and structure of the non-moving part all still need to be done.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Progress made this weekend...
From the side...

From the front...
The 2 holes you see in the bottom are for 2 80mm fans. There are 2 similar holes in the top back opposite these two

The MAJOR scratch in the plastic. This doesnt seem to go very deep into the metal. Hopefully you won't see it after I have anodised this case

This is what the metal work should look like when its finally done

And last but not least the back PCI mounting plate

I still need to finish the frame for the bottom part and the other side of the flip top. Then I need to make it look pretty and after all this I will anodise the thing.
Futs

Post by Futs »

Seems to be coming along nicely
MrBean

Post by MrBean »

Looking good, can't wait for some more ;)

Keep up the good work, progress is slow, but the wait is worth it....
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

MrBean wrote:Looking good, can't wait for some more ;)

Keep up the good work, progress is slow, but the wait is worth it....
Its seriously frustrating when I don't have time to finish this. But I'll probably work on it again this weekend.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Ok Peoples. Check for updates on monday. I am planning to finish the metal work on this mod this weekend. And if theres time left maybe cut the perspex aswell...
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I couldn't get all the metal work done but I got most of it done.
This what I've done. I finished mounting the MOBO tray with the PCI bracket, I finished 90% of the frame. I still need to put a frame in for the Hdd on top of the Mobo.

The Back. I found that I will need to cut away some of the top as its too high and will interfere with the hinges on the back

I also still need to countersink all the screws, Then take everything apart for the anodizing which will cost MINIMUM R255!!!
Futs

Post by Futs »

Its really starting to take form now, good work keep us posted
Knightman

Post by Knightman »

Can't wag to see the end result!
naughty

Post by naughty »

great stuff - im really enjoying what im seeing here - really really topshelf work there

man - we all soon gonna have great looking pc's - maybe you should market the case
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

@Naugthy Thanks man! I doubt I'll sell this PC, maybe I should open a shop and start building custom PC's like AlienWare.... (I will never be worthy :D )
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Dude Alienware is by no means custom any more. There are to many of them out there to be concidered custom. The def of custom being that it is the only box of it's kind or likeness out there.

BTW looking gr8 keep it coming.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

http://www.plextor-europe.com/products/ ... e=PX-716AL

I was wondering if I should rather get this drive for the mod. Then mount it with the slot upwards and load the DVD's from the top of the case aswell...

What do you think?

(I'm going to need to save money for this though, The best price I saw was about R900!!!)

Update: I managed to cut the excess off the back and started tapping all the holes. Didn't have time this weekend :cry:
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Does anyone know of a place in SA that sell Green UV Rubber Fan Silencers? I can order from Frozencpu but the transport cost is more than the silencers.