Fun Programming projects

All topics about coding, designing, etc. goes in here.
Mow

Fun Programming projects

Post by Mow »

Guys , i am not a programmer by profession and thus dont code to frequently. This leads to syntax knowledge becoming hazy over time.

What Im asking is to post fun projects you have worked on. Not complicated , or excessively large projects just fun usefull things you have done in your spare time.

Looking to brush up on my python skills , so even better if you have done this in Python.

not the code just the desired function.
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

trust me my syntax is hazy at best even when i was studying it hahaha its just a thing with me that i dont catch onto coding jargon so quickly.

fun little projects ive done is made a magic/yu gi oh style game, but its played on a board game style arena, where you have a keep, you defend that with a creature that represents your element (earth fire wind water) and 2 of your characters you create, your other 3 characters, you send out onto this board game, as your characters progress from board to board, the difficulty increases and also the size of the board/dungeon...

you roll a dice to determine the spaces you move and what you land on either takes your characters into battle, and each character is their own card, with damage defence etc, attributed with whatever potions or skills u have purchased, and based on that your character takes turns with the monsters in a battle phase, either to cast spells, defend, defend other player, use potion etc...if you fail at that battle, your character dies and must be resurected at your keep and you start over...at the end of each board is a final battle with the board boss...

and on random occassions, a band of random bad guys will assault your keep....if your main characters are out battling the dungeons, then you can only defend with your 2 characters and elemental creature...if your keep falls, game over, if all your characters are dead and nobody is left to resurrect them at the keep, game over...

so why not try your hand at game coding? hehe start with something simple, and when thats complete add on some ideas you thought of, code and test, add more, code and test etc.
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
Mow

Post by Mow »

Yea , been thinkin of making a very advanced version of space invaders ... but for now i would like to get my system interaction and database skills up.
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

i need to do the same hey, im so dodgy with databases.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

I did a calculator in Basic once :D

That;s always fun, if simple..
to ápeiro anima
Mow

Post by Mow »

Ok , thanx urban . but were looking for something a little more challenging.
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

make a really awesome looking slot machine, something really funky.
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

or make a poker table?

should be challenging to code in things like what cards the dealer still has and what has been dealt out, and a calculator to determine which hand wins, and to distinguish between the different suits etc.
PypLaCe

Post by PypLaCe »

Yesterday I came across a little program that keeps track of how many times you click the buttons on your mouse and the total distance the pointer has traveled. That could be quite an interesting programming task to try out...
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Ooh ooh Poker would be awesome. Don't accept ideas from jamin, he will suggest pedopoker or something which wouldn't be cool...what happens if you get a straight flush :O

Poker idea is great...or revamp Outrun :D

Or a sidescrolling UT2009 ;)
to ápeiro anima
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

make a poker bot hehe
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

ooooh no make your own version of monopoly?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

po10cy wrote:ooooh no make your own version of monopoly?
Too late!

UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

jamin your collection of all things pedo, pr0n and otherwise related is alarming.

Did you get mod status by bombarding the admin with tidbits of your collection?
to ápeiro anima
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

UrBaN wrote:Did you get mod status by bombarding the admin with tidbits of your collection?
:lol:

It was blackmail.

I had pictures of Cameron in a compromising situation.

I have plans to acquire similar collateral on Nab and Dalfers soon, just in case they should ever question why an unsavory character such as my myself has been given any kind of elevated status on their forums :)
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

hahaha i think so
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

:lol: blackmail ftw!
to ápeiro anima
Mow

Post by Mow »

The poker thing is actually not a bad idea ,.... But think online poker server ....
I dont think python would be the best language for it though but c# would nail it head on .....
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Mow wrote:I dont think python would be the best language for it though but c# would nail it head on .....
Actually, I believe Java is the language of choice for many online gambling apps.
Mow

Post by Mow »

Yea , but in my very inexperienced opinion . C#>(Java - Multiplatform). There is nothing java can do that c#/asp cant . Expect the platform bit.
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

yeah i would do it in c# aswell myself.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

jamin_za wrote:
Mow wrote:I dont think python would be the best language for it though but c# would nail it head on .....
Actually, I believe Java is the language of choice for many online gambling apps.
and probably slot machines as well.

C# is a Java clone. It's so close it isn't even funny. So basically C# = Java - Multiplatform.

Also, the latest Java virtual machines are far ahead in speed over C# MSIL just in time compilaiton. They are getting close in speed to native code like C++. I had a site bookmarked which benched all sorts of algorithms against different languages with C++ being (lets say) 1.000s to complete the code, Delphi native was 1.3s and the Java code got something like 1.5s followed by a million different obscure languages. Python and Perl were like 60-70s in some of the benches. C#, J# and VB.NET were around 6s-7s IIRC.

What I did once as a project for when I did an MCSD that required database work, was created a tile based RPG and I scanned some of my friends magic cards in as the picture of the monsters. I used a SQL database to store all the things like tiles, weapons, monsters etc and then had a front end that allowed me to do level design and a game engine. I did all my graphics design in PowerPoint and the levels actually looked somewhat professional, better than most el cheapo RPGs. I don't know if you remember Castle of the Winds? It was similar in concept to that, with much better graphics. Except you didn't see the monsters coming for you, a random number was generated when you moved and if it hit what I set the parameters for a monster, you had to fight. You could escape but that was also a random number generated success. Rolling dice.

You could have the engine and level builder as 2 exe files and all the data stored in the database as CLOBS/BLOBS, text data (attack damage of the monsters, items, chances to find things etc). If you are clever about it you could make it scale by adding data to the database and using the level designer to create further levels without changing the source code.

I would also still do this in C# because Windows has better dev tools than most Java IDEs and is more supported.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Damnit Hex I was just about to say that!
to ápeiro anima
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Hex rated lost me a bit in the middle there, but his gist is right.

And aside from what he said, using C# you are limiting your back end environment to Microsoft.
This is fine if you are messing around on your desktop, or this app will only be deployed in a controlled LAN/WAN...

But if you want this thing to go on the net you want to develop it to run off a nix platform

Even I will admit that a box running a decent 'nix OS like Redhat, SUSE or Solaris (NOT Ubuntu or any of the fancy new wannabe desktop OS ****), Apache and MySQL will pwn the crap out of a box running Windows Server 2K3, IIS6 and MSSQL - as a web server.
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

C# is a Java clone. It's so close it isn't even funny. So basically C# = Java - Multiplatform.

Also, the latest Java virtual machines are far ahead in speed over C# MSIL just in time compilaiton. They are getting close in speed to native code like C++. I had a site bookmarked which benched all sorts of algorithms against different languages with C++ being (lets say) 1.000s to complete the code, Delphi native was 1.3s and the Java code got something like 1.5s followed by a million different obscure languages. Python and Perl were like 60-70s in some of the benches. C#, J# and VB.NET were around 6s-7s IIRC.

What I did once as a project for when I did an MCSD that required database work, was created a tile based RPG and I scanned some of my friends magic cards in as the picture of the monsters. I used a SQL database to store all the things like tiles, weapons, monsters etc and then had a front end that allowed me to do level design and a game engine. I did all my graphics design in PowerPoint and the levels actually looked somewhat professional, better than most el cheapo RPGs. I don't know if you remember Castle of the Winds? It was similar in concept to that, with much better graphics. Except you didn't see the monsters coming for you, a random number was generated when you moved and if it hit what I set the parameters for a monster, you had to fight. You could escape but that was also a random number generated success. Rolling dice.

You could have the engine and level builder as 2 exe files and all the data stored in the database as CLOBS/BLOBS, text data (attack damage of the monsters, items, chances to find things etc). If you are clever about it you could make it scale by adding data to the database and using the level designer to create further levels without changing the source code.

I would also still do this in C# because Windows has better dev tools than most Java IDEs and is more supported.

Wat
- jamin