Fun Programming projects

All topics about coding, designing, etc. goes in here.
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

damn beat me 2 it! lol :P
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

I was trying to say that making a tile based 2D RPG using databasing to store all your data works is a good exercise. Have a look at a book called Tricks of the Game Programming Gurus to get good ideas on how to write 2D tile based games, the book explains the theory and logic very well. Also download Castle of the Winds and run it to get a better explanation.

Although game programming is probably the most challenging aspect of software development, it's also the most rewarding. Don't expect to create another Diablo II or WoW, that will never happen. Writing a game also requires you to integrate a user interface with the games engine as well as producing tools to build levels / monsters / items. It's like an exercise in project management.

If you work on it every day for 2hrs a day, it will take you about 2 months to get to Alpha status. But that 2 months of doing will be worth more than a years worth of full day learning.

Get the dungeons and dragon rules and structure your game around that. All the balanced formulas for calculating everything you need to work out with regards to attack damage, etc will probably be contained within that.

Just an idea. It will keep you on your toes and probably teach you a few things about problem solving you otherwise would never have learnt.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
PHR33K

Post by PHR33K »

I started writing a tile engine a couple months ago. Spent an afternoon or two on it. Never got further than that.
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

i rate thats a good idea that hex suggested, it would really teach you alot and be interesting to do.
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
Mow

Post by Mow »

Well , the easy thing there would be the dnd rules. I have 3.5 and 4th ed memorized :-) . Yea , ok . I'll give it a go . I have written a few little games in python but im sure I wont battle to much in C# . . . I'll start doing some research and maybe open a thread for it later .... If you guys would be interested in having a laugh . . :lol:
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

I would be interested in following that Mow...
to ápeiro anima
Mow

Post by Mow »

Cool , maybe i can get one of the art gurus here to assist with the bitmaps . As my art ability sucks
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

I could help...do you prefer red or black stick men? Also, single or two tone background?
to ápeiro anima
LinkX

Post by LinkX »

i can do bitmaps, but just on what exactly, too much reading for me at this time of day -_-

EDIT: PM if interested
__________Image__________
Image---I'm out of my mind right now, but feel free to leave a message...---Image
FReaKno2

Re: Fun Programming projects

Post by FReaKno2 »

ir pretty new/useless at coding but can do some pretty basic stuff with c# if any of you guys start or have started this i would like to try and help .
Nomed™

Re: Fun Programming projects

Post by Nomed™ »

Well how about neat little program ( for those still stuck on xp and vista ) to copy windows 7 awesome destop features (window resize and minimize functions ), that keeps record on the resize, so that you can do some calcs on avrage window size and get values for user preferred window size.

a great method for learning about .dll, windows hooks and ( depending on what you wan't to use to keep track ) sql.