Castlevania

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Re: Castlevania

Post by wizardofid »

hamin_aus wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 03:26 And the student is now the master :D

I'll go look for it!
Hardly, still pretty dipping my toes into the water, stumbling around blind.
a silent voice is on YouTube, it is based on a manga comic book. I did find two other studios, who have some pretty interesting stuff bones and sunrise.

Went on YouTube and downloaded a few a couple is missing which iam trying to find
Kiki's delivery service
The cat returns
From up on poppy hill ( turned out to be subtitles only, might give it a bash if I can't find the dub)
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

hamin_aus wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 03:26 And the student is now the master :D

I'll go look for it!
Lol Hardly, I am stumbling around blindly. What make things easier, is searching for the top studio's, have a list of their works and work you way from there, on reviews and trailers, this method isn't perfect, but you do weed out stuff you don't want to watch.

A Silent Voice, is really great, it is based off a manga, definitely worth the watch.Look no further it is on youtube :)

I did find a few more, some of the stuff has different names, or use different tactics to avoid takedowns. Some times you can directly search for older titles or use indirect search terms. Indirect search terms like "anime movies" gave me some real gems.You definitely need to know your way around youtube. So some times you need to go to the end of the video to get the title.

Got a bucketload downloaded and ready for evening viewing after work.

I don't think I should be watching these, with the toilet paper shortage :D
Found some of these will have to keep looking for the rest

I Want To Eat Your Pancreas ( Apparently if you think a silent voice is sad, this will kill you)
Violet Evergarden (Hamin you might like this one, post war story, apparently very good)
The garden of words (Short story, found it looks pretty great)
Your name (got this one, so have it lined up)
Clannad
5 centimeters per second (have this one as well )
Angelbeats
Tokyo magnitude 8
Maquia
When marnie was there
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I've seen Violet Evergarden on netflix recently and Clannad years ago
I didn't think you'd go for the high school drama type anime...
I have another suggestion - Great Teacher Onizuka - its high school drama but from the teachers perspective and one of the most entertaining series I think I ever watched

Also, we have a section where you can post what you justw watched and your thoughts on it here
Also check out the favourite anime thread, lots of suggestions in there - most of them would be old/classics by now :D
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

hamin_aus wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 11:59 I've seen Violet Evergarden on netflix recently and Clannad years ago
I didn't think you'd go for the high school drama type anime...
I have another suggestion - Great Teacher Onizuka - its high school drama but from the teachers perspective and one of the most entertaining series I think I ever watched

Also, we have a section where you can post what you justw watched and your thoughts on it here
Also check out the favourite anime thread, lots of suggestions in there - most of them would be old/classics by now :D
Yeah the teen drama thing is extremely well constructed stories and animation, it is way, way different to the superficial western teen dramas TV series, it is actually enjoyable, definitely sets the mood and tone perfectly, with well constructed characters and stories.Really excited to watch your name, it looks to be pretty epic story telling.

I do like scifi anime like escaflowne, or easy to digest scifi, got patema inverted lined up as well, nurato and buroto isn't my scene, I might give vampire hunter D a spin.Fantasy and supernatural and scifi that is my thing. Have color also lined up.

I definitely want to hear what you thought about a silent voice, and how it compares to Grave of the fireflies on the sadness scale and story telling.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

wizardofid wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 13:00 I definitely want to hear what you thought about a silent voice, and how it compares to Grave of the fireflies on the sadness scale and story telling.
ASilent Voice is sad at times but is ultimately uplifting, and has a happy ending - most of the characters were well developed, however I never liked Naoka, even in the end where her motives are explained and she warms to Shoya. No group of sane people would tolerate a person like that.
Still a very well told and engaging story

While A Silent Voice is a sad journey that leaves you smiling at the end, Graveyard of the Fireflies is a movie that starts out sombre and gets progressively darker until it becomes a harrowing watch. I saw it when I was a lot younger and edgier - and even then it left me a bit shell-shocked. If I were watching it now for the first time, with kids of my own.... I dont even
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Lol cool :D

Not really in the mood to necro the other thread considering it is just a the few of us here, might as well keep this one going.

Stormy weather , so took the opportunity to watch some stuff.

Garden of words ended up being meh

I want to eat your pancreas. Right in the feels, man Sort of happy ending, in a strange way.

Grave of the fireflies, while great, I went in expecting sadness, and ended up being less sad.

Busy with your name, so far decent, freaky Friday vibe...