Drops of God

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Ahzure

Drops of God

Post by Ahzure »

Title: Drops of God (Kami no Shizuku)
Mangaka: Tadashi Agi
Genre: Drama Mystery Seinen Slice of Life
Licensed: Vertical
Miyabi Shinohara daydreams of the day when she earns enough money to savor some of the exquisite vintages she’s read about. She’s snapped out of her reverie when her services are called upon. You see Miyabi is a apprentice sommelier
Spoiler (show)
- ‘a trained and knowledgeable wine professional, commonly working in fine restaurants, who specializes in all aspects of wine service as well as wine and food matching. A professional sommelier also works on the floor of the restaurant and is in direct contact with restaurant patrons. The sommelier has a responsibility to work within the taste preference and budget parameters of the patron.”

Miyabi encounters a problem when the patron asks for a specific vintage and the one that she serves is apparently not the one he wanted. Feeling slighted the patron demands a much more expensive wine and insists that Miyabi pays for it. Suddenly a young man steps forth and asks Miyabi to hand him a decanter. He takes the discarded wine and proceeds to pour it into the decanter. It suddenly dawns on Miyabi that this man is attempting to release the wine’s full flavor, sadly she thinks that all his effort is for naught for it is only something a skilled sommelier can do, what’s worse is that the particular vintage he’s handling is too young.

Nothing in this world could have prepared her for the reaction of the patron when the young man hands him a glass, he (the patron) has never tasted anything as exquisite.
Anyway as this young man turns to leave, Miyabi stops him in order to thank him for helping her. He introduces himself as Shizuku Kanzaki and says if she wants to thank him they should go on a date sometime in the future.

Well it turns out Shizuku works for Taiyo Beer (a beer company) and when he returns to the office he is informed that his father, Yutaka Kanzaki, a world famous master sommelier has passed away. Shizuku and his father have been estranged for quite some time, so it comes as a surprise when he learns that his father left him a much sought after collection of wines (worth over 20 billion Yen.) However there is a catch, Shizuku’s father selected twelfth of the world’s best wines, plus a mysterious wine named “God’s Droplets” and in accordance with the will if someone is able to assess the wines within a year, the inheritance will be transferred to that individual. Matters are further complicated when Shizuku learns his father’s protégé, Tomine Issei plans to take possession of Shizuku’s inheritance.

Shizuku turns to Miyabi for help, she in turn is shocked when she learns that Tomine Issei (also known as The Prince of Wine) is Shizuku’s opponent. On the other hand when Fujieda Shirou ( Miyabi’s sommelier teacher) happens to overhear the conversation he thinks they might be able to help Shizuku.

Shizuku Kanzaki
As a child, his father had him taste different beverages in order to assess the variance in taste amongst them. Shizuku was charged with the task of remembering the aroma/smell of fruit, herbs, flowers and mundane articles like leather or pencils.
He was also exposed to the beauty of music, poetry and paintings.

Miyabi Shinohara
She is surprised to learn that despite being son of the great Yutaka Kanzaki, Shizuku has never drank wine.

I can’t find the words to describe this manga, it is so unique. Try to get your hands on the first few chapters.
Did you know this manga is said be responsible for the increase in sales of fine wines in South Korea. Others sources cite that when, the lesser known producer Château Mont-Pérat and Umberto Cosmo's Colli di Conegliano Rosso were mentioned in the manga sales of those wines climbed. A Reuters article* claimed that “"wine industry experts believe part of the manga's appeal is that it teaches readers enough about wine to understand the drink and impress their friends, but does so in an entertaining way"

A few months ago Graham Beck, a South African winemaker passed away. Did you that his wine graced the tables of Nelson Mandela and Barack Obama at key moments in their lives.

I saw this Checkers Hyper ad (on TV) displaying the wide variety of different wines they have at affordable prices. I realized then that everyone is suddenly targeting the Middle Class whereas before they’d normally focus on the Higher Income group. It would seem that good wine is within reach of the ordinary every day consumer.

I don’t know how to use one of these, I always damage the cork or bits of cork brake off and falls into the bottle.:-[

I'm so happy that this manga has been licensed, I'll definitely try to get a hold of the originals.

Hey I manged to find the Reuters Article
Rules that an Evil Overlord must live by!

45. I will make sure I have a clear understanding of who is responsible for what in my organization. For example, if my general screws up I will not draw my weapon, point it at him, say "And here is the price for failure," then suddenly turn and kill some random underling.
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Re: Drops of God

Post by Siemens »

lol reminds me of that anime, I think it's called Bartender.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart