Kara no Kyoukai

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Rayne

Re: Kara no Kyoukai

Post by Rayne »

Doujinshi, Kara no Kyoukai- Mirai Fukuin– by Takashi Takeuchi & Kinoko Nasu ( Circle Takebouki ) was released at doujin shops.
It's a hardcover doujinshi that has both novel and manga. The total comes to about 190 pages. The story is about a person who can see the future. Melonbooks Nihpponbashi Branch made the tower of Kara no Kyoukai- Mirai Fukuin–. It was piled up a lot at Melon Akihabara Branch as well (one for per person).
When-san said "about 200 people were waiting before the store opened, and in just seconds after the store opened, inside the store became a chaos.

Link's nsfw.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Finally managed to get this and after watching the first 2 flicks these are my thoughts. Will keep it concise.

One of the very first things that I noticed is the simply arresting visual and audio quality. Especially everything in the visual spectrum, the attention to detail, the colors, the placing of objects, etc., all to create a breathing, almost palpable, sense of reality. Intertwined with a stellar sound track, the basics of this anime are as good as it gets.
Personally, I would have liked to see a bit more detail to the characters themselves, however, recognising this as a TYPE MOON creation and thinking back on FSN and Tsukihime, it feels right, it feels 'TYPE MOON'. You could say one of the few distinct trademarks of their productions or perhaps I'm being abnormal about it.

As regards the story, well, I wouldn't say that there is a solid backbone to the overall story, yet. Instead it is a heavyset character-profile driven piece of work. Great focus is directed at the characters themselves and their relation and integration into the picture, and, in a manner of speaking you could say that the characters are the form of the as of yet spineless story.
Though, the initiation of an overall story is unmistakable. Shiki, her eyes, her relation to other characters are showcased in the first episode and the second episode points close to the beginning of the story revolving around Shiki and how she reached her position in the first movie. This sets the board for the overall game. However, being highly character driven, Shiki is not the only piece on the board. There's the curious Kakutou and the inspirational Tohko and I presume there's a few more pieces needed to play this intricate game.

Shiki is an interesting character to follow up on, closely followed by Kakutou. My thoughts on both of them are numerous, but, I'll linger a bit longer before I post about them. However, the most bewitchingly intriguing character, and this as a personal appeasement, is Tohko. Her dialogue is as wise as it is inspirational. If I could have it my way, I'd want Tohko to be the main character, though, merely judging from the way she's portrayed, she isn't designed to be a main character. There wouldn't be an interesting story nor much character development. There would simply be lots of talk, lots of wise talk, but just talk. Like reading the texts of only the smartest characters in a Shakespeare work. It just wouldn't work.
For now, Shiki will play a fine role in this series, and I have some hopes for Shiki. Hopes that I desire are met or better yet, exceeded.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Distinctively TYPE-MOON yes. Nothing on my Fujinon yet but ah well, good summary.

You should be pleased to know Touko is a major player in chapter 5.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

This is bad. The third movie was good!
Now I'm addicted.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

You and me both mate.

Nice AMV I just saw (strictly for those who saw Remaining Sense of Pain, do not, and I repeat, do NOT watch it if your yet to see it) :
Spoiler (show)
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lJx78fGRsn0&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lJx78fGRsn0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Release dates announced :

- Chapter 4 : December 17, 2008
- Chapter 5 : January 28, 2009

And a little something to look forward too, an interesting thing I noted on one of the TM boards about Shiki -
The moment she opened her eyes, this was the true form of [*] fear.The magician cursed his own foolishness... To think that there was actually a clan that inherited this swordsman's karma to this day.

[*] knew this one fact. For the ancient samurai swordsman, a distance of 3 kan (approximately 5 meters) was no different to a distance of zero... For that Shiki(with Katana) a distance of 5 kan (a distance of 9 meters), she'll be able to close it in just a single footstep.

Nobody knew her true style of battle. He had concluded that Ryogi Shiki was a user of knives, he couldn't have been wrong... But here lay her true ability. She is actually a killer who wields a Katana as her primary means of offense. The she that stood before him was stronger... Far stronger than the she whom he had seen countless times before in battle.
That's a rough translation from chapter 5. Unfortunately the chapter has not been fully translated yet but nice insight nonetheless. I did my fair share of homework on KnK and I knew we've not seen the true Shiki yet but this sonds good. Well, technically, we've seen the true Shiki once so far...

[*] : Won't disclose his name, he is the mastermind after all. Well, technically, his name has already been revealded... lol

Also read this a while ago already but forgot about it -
One of the things different about Japanese cinemas is that you can buy merchandise at the Candy Bar. I bought myself a clearfile before the movie started, but seeing how Roobar bought the booklet and having a flick through it, I bought one myself after the movie. My Japanese skills are pretty crap in terms of having proper conversations or reading and translating, but when it comes to watching raws, I can gather about 75% of the dialog. So sitting there watching a movie raw wasn’t all that difficult and I got the jist of the storyline. As for the movie itself, I know that the Western world has seen only the first 3 movies, but the 5th is **** EPIC. I personally thought the 3rd movie took it to a new level, but the 5th goes elsewhere. Can’t wait to see the other movies.
Blog extract from the writer's tour.

Damn because of the gap in releases talk's quiet on the KnK front.

/ Back to waiting... *sigh*
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

It's almost time...

Shiki is out now btw.

And for those not playing with dolls here's an exact replica of her katana, Kuji no Kanesada. Yours for only 523 USD. Not a toy. As if we need another Akihabara massacre...

Chapter 4, Void Shrine :

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nra44azpzmI&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nra44azpzmI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Chapter 5, Paradox Spiral :

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zrSbH1bRew0&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zrSbH1bRew0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Chapter 6, Oblivion Recorder :

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A4Z4NfWmZeY&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A4Z4NfWmZeY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Nice, I must still watch 2 and 3...
Will do that very soon though! :D Got a fair ammount of time since im on school holidays now! :D :twisted: :twisted:
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Well this time next week #4 will be online so things will fall in place for you nicely.

Get to Remaining Sense of Pain. It's the best you'll see of 2008.

I'll rewatch everything again just before chapter 7's release.

EDIT :

Seems leaked, the trailer found on chapter 4 just went up on YouTube :

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PmiSon1JLZ0&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PmiSon1JLZ0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Some great coverage going on here.

The trailers are looking spectacular. Too bad the chasm between releases are so great, though, it does create this sense of auspiciousness. Like, for every other anime it's usually just standard protocol, but, for something like this, it's kind of like a special viewing session.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

I've read what I could and #5's looking really good. The novels translation stopped at a critical point but I know what happens though. It's going to be good. As per the last trailer they included the prologue so they are covering the novel nicely.

And that sword sold out seconds after it went up online.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

I see now that there's more hype surrounding KnK than I presumed.

Does Kara no Kyoukai mean Garden of Sinners?
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

"Borderline of/to Emptiness". It refers to Shiki.

"Kara no Kyoukai, The Garden of Sinners" being the official title. We just KnK it for short and fans refer to it as "Rakkyo".

If it weren't for Evangelion it would have been this years #1. Well, Evangelion is Evangelion after all and of course the fact that it's still running when we all know how Eva ends did not quite help sales either. Though I believe if chapter #5 aired this year stats would have looked very different.

But actually, KnK does not have a large following hey. Also, like you mentioned, due to the lenghty releases, oke's tend to forget about it inbetween. Even so though I believe all 7 chapters will take top slots.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

I decided to watch the 2nd chapter...
I thought it may be a good idea to go over the 1st chapter before I watch the 2nd chapter as it has been around 4 months since I watched the 1st chapter...

Ok, so I then went http://loliliciousness.wordpress.com to go over the analysis the guy gives and to refresh my memory, while skipping through the movie at the same time...

Kinda finally finished it, except I didnt read his Own Analysis, Interpretations, and Thoughts...
Definatly refreshed my memory and give me a slightly better understanding of KnK...

Right now though, I cant watch the 2nd chapter due to my mind being filled with thought from the 1st chapter.etc :lol: :-/
Soo, I think ill leave it for later today (Sunday) :P

It was ment to be just a quick refresh...didnt quite turn out that way :P

ALSO, about the above chat...
I noticed that Shiki said "Emptiness..." and just left it at that, well, that what it translated to. She actually said "kara"...
Soo, I was going to ask what the title actually mean, well, actually Kyoukai.

Rayne, do you have any other blogs which are similar to the loliliciousness one, but for chapter 2 and 3? :D

Ill come and post my views and questions I have.etc here anyways once I finish watching each of them :D
Also Chapter 5 seems as if it will reveal a lot and pretty much make sense of all the previous chapters and bring them together?
Then chapter 6 and 7 finish it off with chapter 7 ending with a nice bang? :D
Last edited by PsyCLown on 14 Dec 2008, 04:23, edited 1 time in total.
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Chapter 5 strings everything together, yes, but it is not the conclusion. That is why I pointed out that this is, first and foremost, a murder mystery. Once you've seen chapter 2 you will understand what I mean by this, so I'll not go into detail just yet. KnK's actual timeline looks like this :

- Chapter 2 (A Study in Murder, part 1)
- Chapter 4
- Chapter 3
- Chapter 1
- Chapter 5
- Chapter 6
- Chapter 7 (A Study in Murder, part 2)

The story will not conclude until you've seen chapter 7. Chapter 5 will merely explain why you've seen what you did before it and why things are happening the way they are.

In chapter 6 Shiki and Azaka (talented in the "magic of ignition") team up (they cannot stand each other) in order to unravel a series of deaths in her school (Fujino goes to school here too) which involves memory stealing fairies.

Chapter 7 will tell us whether Shiki is/was the real ...... or whether she is/was not.

I'll get links when I see you post.

EDIT :
PsyCLown wrote:Ok, so I then goto http://loliliciousness.wordpress.com to go over the analysis the guy gives and to refresh my memory, whilKinda finally finished it, except I didnt read his Own Analysis, Interpretations, and Thoughts...
Read it.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Just finished watching Chapter 2...

LOL @ the beginning with the person recording inside the cinema making a cam rip! :P

Ok, firstly...
WTF is up with the dates?
Spoiler (show)
Im pretty sure I saw 1950 somewhere at the beginning? Or am I loosing my mind? :?
Perhaps it was April 1995?
Then it changed to 1995... August 30th. That is after the beginning of the chapter. This is where the most of the chapter takes place.
Then it becomes 1998, June. Touko is now part of the scene and someone is in hospital. Now, that is Shiki who Mikiya is seeing? Kirie would see Mikiya every Saturday in the hospital corridor with flowers for Shiki...or is this Kirie? Her hair is much longer than Shiki's and she looks different.
Secondly...
Spoiler (show)
The murders...

1st - Unknown, we got told nothing about the first murder in this chapter.
2nd - Body cut in half.
3rd - Limbs cut off and sown on in reverse (arms where thighs ment to be and thighs where arms are ment to be).
4th - Body in pieces with a ying-yang symbol.
5th - Manji symbol??? What is that?
6th - Info kept secret and it seems as if Mikiya's, err... what is he? Cousin? (Daisuke), also didn't get told anything about it?
7th - This is where Mikiya goes back to Shiki's place and sees Shiki infront of a person who's head had been sliced off and the bloody is shooting out and filling the gaps between the slate pathway and Mikiya almost pukes...

The murders are rather grusome, which is nice in a way, although they dont seem too our of the ordinary, or something about them is a bit different and not very, evil in a way... Not too entertaining I guess, how ever Shiki's evil smile and her face and clothes covered in blood are.
Using the blood as lipstick as one, from the 2nd? murder. hehe :P

Seems as if Shiki had a bit of fun with the murders and kept herself entertained with them.

All of the murders were done by Shiki? Correct? Not SHIKI? Were all the murders even done by her? It didnt quite seem like it and seems as if she just stumbled upon them. She lost her schools emblem badge at the 5th? murder scene...

Shiki - She is the killer side? The side she is most of the time in this chapter?
SHIKI - She is the more normal, rebellious side?
Or is it the other way around?

Also there seems to be someone who Shiki meets just before her and Mikiya meet up outside the school and wait while its raining, where Mikiya starts to hum... The person Shiki meets who says he knows that she is irritated, but isnt 4 enough...
He seems to know that Shiki is the killer? Or is it just coincidence and he was refering to something else?
A few side things:
Spoiler (show)
The "attribute" that the butler person refers to... what is it? Its the cause that Shiki's brother, who we have yet to meet, won't be the successor of the Ryougi family.

Also Shiki currently has split personalities...
Different. Does she really have a split personality though? Perhaps later on the switch between them are shown by the colour of her eyes?

I just went to Wikipedia and Mikiya has a sister? o.0
Azaka? Touko speaks to her at the end of the first chapter?
Anyways, was pretty good, I found the first chapter to have more complicated and unknown things. I still dont know what a bone and a lilly is and what the difference between the two are.
This chapter pretty much just shows you how Shiki and Mikiya met and a little bit about what happend between them and how they became friends.

I was really hoping for another scene similar to the one where Shiki meets up on the roof top and slides accross the water filled roof in chapter 1. The bamboo chase seemed to be the scene that was ment to compared to that one. Wasn't nearly as great as the first one IMO though.

Anyways, the 3rd chapter is about family affairs... The Ryougi family vs the Asagami family... Unless Kirie' surname is Asagami?
I don't think I know who the Asagami family is or anyone in that family? The 3rd chapter is also where
Spoiler (show)
Shiki looses her left arm?
Its what takes place between 1995 and 1998 where Shiki ends up in hospital?
I think i'v mensioned everything I wanted to.

I took a look at the timeline posted on wikipedia...
Spoiler (show)
Chronological timeline
March
Mikiya meets Shiki for the first time on a snowy night.
April
Shiki enters high school and gets acquainted with Mikiya.
September
Chapter 2 – A Study in Murder (Part 1) (殺人考察(前) Satsujin Kōsatsu (Zen)?)
February
Shiki encounters a traffic accident and spends two years in hospital in a coma.
March
Mikiya enters university after graduating from high school.
May
Mikiya sees one of Tohko's dolls at an exhibition.
Mikiya meets Tohko.
Mikiya quits university halfway.
June
Chapter 4 – Void Shrine (伽藍の洞 Garan no Dō?)
July
Chapter 3 – Remaining Sense of Pain (痛覚残留 Tsūkaku Zanryū?)
August
recalled out summer – Gospel in the Future (未来福音 Mirai Fukuin?) Möbius ring
September
Chapter 1 – Overlooking View (俯瞰風景 Fukan Fūkei?)
November
Chapter 5 – Paradox Spiral (矛盾螺旋 Mujun Rasen?)
January
Chapter 6 – Oblivion Recorder (忘却録音 Bōkyaku Rokuon?)
February
Chapter 7 – A Study in Murder (Part 2) (殺人考察(後) Satsujin Kōsatsu (Go)?)
recalled out summer – Gospel in the Future -The Beginning (未来福音・序 Mirai Fukuin Jo?) Möbius link
Rather interesting.

Spoiler (show)
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

PsyCLown wrote:WTF is up with the dates?
Nah your bad there.
PsyCLown wrote:
Spoiler (show)
Touko is now part of the scene and someone is in hospital. Now, that is Shiki who Mikiya is seeing? Kirie would see Mikiya every Saturday in the hospital corridor with flowers for Shiki...or is this Kirie? Her hair is much longer than Shiki's and she looks different.
Spoiler (show)
It's Shiki. She chased Mikiya onto the road out of the bamboo forest. The scene switched... we heard a car... She'll be in a coma for two years. It's the same hospital Kirie's at yes. However, Kirie never met Mikiya, she merely watched him.
PsyCLown wrote:
Spoiler (show)
All of the murders were done by Shiki? Correct? Not SHIKI? Were all the murders even done by her? It didnt quite seem like it and seems as if she just stumbled upon them. She lost her schools emblem badge at the 5th? murder scene...
I'll not answer this just yet.
PsyCLown wrote:
Spoiler (show)
Shiki - She is the killer side? The side she is most of the time in this chapter?
Spoiler (show)
Just abour right.
PsyCLown wrote:
Spoiler (show)
Also there seems to be someone who Shiki meets just before her and Mikiya meet up outside the school and wait while its raining, where Mikiya starts to hum... The person Shiki meets who says he knows that she is irritated, but isnt 4 enough...
He seems to know that Shiki is the killer? Or is it just coincidence and he was refering to something else?
Spoiler (show)
Oh so yo noticed that?. Mikiya met him later this chapter again.
PsyCLown wrote:
Spoiler (show)
The "attribute" that the butler person refers to... what is it? Its the cause that Shiki's brother, who we have yet to meet, won't be the successor of the Ryougi family.
Spoiler (show)
Multiple personalities.
PsyCLown wrote:
Spoiler (show)
Does she really have a split personality though? Perhaps later on the switch between them are shown by the colour of her eyes?
Spoiler (show)
Yes. Shiki has three personalities. SHIKI's the male whilst Shiki's the female. SHIKI's essential for combat situations. Tohko mentions this in chapter 3.
PsyCLown wrote:I still dont know what a bone and a lilly is and what the difference between the two are.
A bone is a bone and a lilly is a lilly. The difference between them is just that.
PsyCLown wrote:Unless Kirie' surname is Asagami?
It's not.
PsyCLown wrote:
Spoiler (show)
Spoiler (show)
Yes.
PsyCLown wrote:
Spoiler (show)
Spoiler (show)
No. Like you've now seen Shiki was hit by a car in chapter 2. That's how she ended up in hospital.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Rayne wrote:
PsyCLown wrote:WTF is up with the dates?
Nah your bad there.
PsyCLown wrote:
Spoiler (show)
Touko is now part of the scene and someone is in hospital. Now, that is Shiki who Mikiya is seeing? Kirie would see Mikiya every Saturday in the hospital corridor with flowers for Shiki...or is this Kirie? Her hair is much longer than Shiki's and she looks different.
Spoiler (show)
It's Shiki. She chased Mikiya onto the road out of the bamboo forest. The scene switched... we heard a car... She'll be in a coma for two years. It's the same hospital Kirie's at yes. However, Kirie never met Mikiya, she merely watched him.
Ahh, I see, ok... 2 year gives her a while to grow her hair and age a bit.
PsyCLown wrote:
Spoiler (show)
I'll not answer this just yet.
PsyCLown wrote:
Spoiler (show)
Spoiler (show)
Just abour right.
PsyCLown wrote:
Spoiler (show)
Spoiler (show)
Oh so yo noticed that?. Mikiya met him later this chapter again.
Hmm, a victim? Dont recall seeing him anywhere else. Perhaps the 6th?
PsyCLown wrote:
Spoiler (show)
Spoiler (show)
Multiple personalities.
Now why would the family want the successor to have that? :?
PsyCLown wrote:
Spoiler (show)
Does she really have a split personality though? Perhaps later on the switch between them are shown by the colour of her eyes?
Spoiler (show)
Yes. Shiki has three personalities. SHIKI's the male whilst Shiki's the female. SHIKI's essential for combat situations. Tohko mentions this in chapter 3.
PsyCLown wrote:I still dont know what a bone and a lilly is and what the difference between the two are.
A bone is a bone and a lilly is a lilly. The difference between them is just that.
PsyCLown wrote:Unless Kirie' surname is Asagami?
It's not.
PsyCLown wrote:
Spoiler (show)
Spoiler (show)
Yes.
PsyCLown wrote:
Spoiler (show)
Spoiler (show)
No. Like you've now seen Shiki was hit by a car in chapter 2. That's how she ended up in hospital.
Also, the first
Spoiler (show)
"murder"
That was the one with the truck and it just so happend to be on the same night as SHIKI killer that person and used the blood as lipstick?
Unless the person got hit by the truck after an encounter with SHIKI?
It seemed as if the truck completely missed her.

Spoiler (show)
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Quoting overdose... Anyways, there's something I wan't you to note because it seems you did not do so yet... The Shiki you saw in chapter 1 is neither the Shiki nor SHIKI you saw in chapter 2 and by saying so I'm not implying chapter 1's is a third personality either. For now wait until Thursday so that you can see chapter 4. I will however tell you that all three Shiki's are clearly visible in chapter 2. There is Shiki, there is SHIKI, and then there is, something else...

/ Yes, Mikiya met him later this chapter. Look carefully.

The Ryogi family is from a bloodline of demon hunters, one of four families. From their traditional teachings they attempt to create humans which surpasses normal humans. However, why are you so sure Shiki has a brother? SHIKI is the boy raised as male in every sense of the word, except physical, and Shiki is the girl. They are never treated as one.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Rayne wrote:Quoting overdose... Anyways, there's something I wan't you to note because it seems you did not do so yet... The Shiki you saw in chapter 1 is neither the Shiki nor SHIKI you saw in chapter 2 and by saying so I'm not implying chapter 1's is a third personality either. For now wait until Thursday so that you can see chapter 4. I will however tell you that all three Shiki's are clearly visible in chapter 2. There is Shiki, there is SHIKI, and then there is, something else...

/ Yes, Mikiya met him later this chapter. Look carefully.

The Ryogi family is from a bloodline of demon hunters, one of four families. From their traditional teachings they attempt to create humans which surpasses normal humans. However, why are you so sure Shiki has a brother? SHIKI is the boy raised as male in every sense of the word, except physical, and Shiki is the girl. They are never treated as one.
Well, Shiki definatly acts differnt to how she did in Chapter 1, yet you can see she is still shiki and not too much has changed at times. I thought it was mainly due to her being more immature compared to her in chapter 2?

Ill probably watch Chapter 3 tomorrow.

Is the random guy Mikiya meets and has a coffee with the same guy? At around 36min? You never heard the conversation between the two of them...
Just before Mikiya goes back to Shikis place to find Mr Decapitated?

Why im sure shiki has a brother? Well, im not 100% sure although the conversation they had makes it sound as if...

Its like this:

Servant: You did well today.
Servent: How did the match with your father go?
Shiki: Get lost, Akitaka.
Shiki: I can get changed by myself.
Shiki: You know, you're not my personal servant.
Shiki: You'll benefit more if you server my older brother.
Shiki: Ultimately its the male who'll be succeeding.
Servant: No.
Servant: You are the only possible successor of the Ryougi family.
Servant: It is because your brother did not inherit the attribute.
Shiki: What's so good about this ****?

If the attribute is as you said...
Then... How could
Spoiler (show)
a personality from a person with split personalities be older? SHIKI isnt the original Shiki, not the Shiki at birth? Well, I doubt that. So I dont see how the manly side of Shiki can be older?

Also you said the attribute was split personalities? How can a split personality be expected to have a split personality? It would be a split personality for the personality with a split personality...

Spoiler (show)
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

I'm not quite sure too. I searched this long ago already and I could not find any concrete evidence of her actual family tree. I also know for a fact no brother is named or shown in the entire KnK. Of course, admitedly, by same reasoning, the exact opposite may be true too. I may have complicated a simple matter, not sure, but I'll look it up again sometime. As for the rest -
Spoiler (show)
It is a custom for the successor of the Ryohgi family to have a match with the master using a real sword at the beginning of each month. The head of the Ryohgi household many generations ago got tired of inviting many masters from abroad, so he made a dojo in his own house and made many new schools. This is passed on until today and unfortunately, even a girl like me is required to use swords.

Finishing the match against my father who surpassed me in both skill and strength, I head to my room. The distance between the dojo and the main house building is far, as far as a gym would be from the school building to give a comparison. I walk on the wooden floor which does not creak even once. On the way, Akitaka was waiting for me. Akitaka, who is my servant, should be at least ten years older than me. He was probably waiting for me to help me change out of my sweaty clothes.

"Good job Did your father say anything?"

"Same as always. Get lost, Akitaka. I can change by myself. You too, you're not like my personal servant. It's better for you to go to my older brother. In the end, it's the man that's succeeding."

Akitaka smiles at my harsh words.

"No, there can be no other successor than you. You brother did not inherit your nature."

"What's so good about this nature?"

I leave Akitaka and head back to the building. Locking myself up in my room, I take my gi off. Then I stare at the mirror. ... What's there is a woman's body. If I put some make-up on and look scary, I might look like a guy. But there's nothing you can do about the body. My body that grows every day is making SHIKI go into despair.

"Maybe I should have been born a guy."

I talk aloud to no one. No, there is someone I can talk to... inside me, another personality called SHIKI. All children of the Ryohgi family is prepared two different names with the same sound. The name of the yin, a name as a man. The name of the yang, a name as a woman. Since I was born female, I was named Shiki, which means equation or form. If I would have been born male, I would have been named SHIKI, which means to weave. Why do we do this? It's because the Ryohgi family gives off children with split personalities with a high probability. ... A person just like me.

Father said the Ryohgi family has the heredity of a transcedent race. He also mentioned that it is a curse. ... It is indeed a curse. To me, this is not transcedent but just abnormal. Fortunately, no successor was of this nature for a few generations. The reason is simple... they all ended up in the mental hospital before maturity. It's very dangerous to have two personalities in one body. The boundary between realities becomes vague and there are many cases where they committed suicide. But in it all, I grew up without showing any sign of insanity. It's because me and SHIKI ignored each other.

The right to the ownership of the body is completely mine. SHIKI is only a substitue personality. Just like how I switched to his personality for the match earlier since his aggressive personality fits the situation. Come to think of it, me and SHIKI are existing at the same time. This is different than what people call split personality. I am Shiki, but at the same time, I am also SHIKI. It's just that I have the ownership of the body.

Father was happy that he could produce the rightful successor of the Ryohgi family in his generation. That's why I'm treated as the successor disregarding my male brother. That's fine, I take what's given to me. I probably thought I would lead this somewhat distorted normal life forever. I knew I could only lead such a life...

... Yes, even if SHIKI is a killing monster, I am not able to make him disappear. Since I have "SHIKI" in me, I am Shiki just like him.
http://mirrormoon.org/books/part_3_0
Yes that's the meeting.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Even after reading that I still think she has a brother and SHIKI is not the brother due to the last sentence in the 3rd line from the bottom.

I don't think thats too important though? Don't really think it will make much of a difference?

//Off topic
BTW, what genre would KnK fall under? Also Claymore and Ga-Rei Zero?
Would they perhaps fall under the seinen genre?
\\Off topic

Spoiler (show)
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

I'm thinking your right.

/ None of them are.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

It's out. And it's NOT "Stalled". Repeat, not stalled. *spits on AniDB*. Expect GG|TakaJun's release soon.

PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Ahh, I misread your post. I thought you said gg-TakaJun released it... Went looking for it only to not find anything :? :lol:

Dont think ill end up watching chapter 3 tonight. Will try for tomorrow :D

I prefer Shiki with short hair... Iv seen some scary anime pictures recently and Shiki with long hair, like in htat picture, looks rather manly :( Its scary!! :cry: :cry:

Spoiler (show)