Kara no Kyoukai

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Re: Kara no Kyoukai

Post by D3PART3D »

Saw the first one last week, it was quite nice :)

I'm not sure what you anime veterans look for, but I liked the animation, the pace, the weird backwards-philosophy (i.e., flying versus floating. Normally, philosophy will find a problem and attempt to solve it. These guys find an answer and go looking for a question that fits it... I really liked that though. ) and the way the relationships are set up. Especially how that dude tries to protect the girl in true male fashion, while she obviously doesn't need it at all. Asking her why her door isn't locked and so on. (Sorry, I didn't catch the names first time round. :oops: )

Will watch the second one in the next few minutes.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
larch

Post by larch »

Watched the first 3 episodes and I must say this is one of the most overhyped shows ever. The story is absolutely un-followable if you are new to the franchise/series and the pace is turtle slow. The characters, Kokutou in particular, does not behave realistically. He is a psycho, far more so than Shiki. Shiki herself is alright, but nothing special. The good old ancient-family hidden-deadly-skill silent girl who learns the power of love via a caring normal person is getting a bit cliched.

It is unfortunate that the people on the job decided to cater it almost exclusively for people who have already read the books and stuff. The rest of us ‘newbies’ to the franchise just land up with a corny, borderline pretentious script of a show we can barely follow.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

But most guys watching this never saw the novel and their following it just fine. PsyClown’s the youngest viewer on this board and his getting it right so where exactly did it lose you, being twice his age larch? Compared to the novel the movies have been simplified. Nasu’s known for his complications so the very least you can do is be aware of this fact and not expect the same old circus like the RoloxLelouch gayness you’ve been spoon-fed since CLAMP learned to draw its first mech with its uncomplicated characters very much dead the one moment only to be magically revived the very next without any form of explanation whatsoever. That’s corny. Yeah, now shows like that well deserve their 9/10’s hey?

There’s no hype surrounding this show. It set attendance records in the cinemas it showed in. Its outselling Geass 10-1 and Macross 15-1. At 3 times the price btw. What hype larch? People don’t need to hype it. How many times do you see Kara no Kyoukai showing up in your daily anime browsing?

It sports the best animation and musical score in recent years and you’re willing to discredit this simply because you had a hard time with its plot? C’mon man, you’re sounding like one of the Gurren-Lagann fanbois rating this 1’s without even seeing it just to get their show back on top again. Your better than that. Your opinion alone would have sufficed just fine, your closing exaggeration, unneeded. You can just ask if there's something you don't know, like everyone else following Nasu's work.
larch

Post by larch »

Rayne wrote:But most guys watching this never saw the novel and their following it just fine. PsyClown’s the youngest viewer on this board and his getting it right so where exactly did it lose you, being twice his age larch?
Please explain to me the concept of what age has to do with understanding a bad plot?
Rayne wrote: Compared to the novel the movies have been simplified. Nasu’s known for his complications so the very least you can do is be aware of this fact and not expect the same old circus like the RoloxLelouch gayness you’ve been spoon-fed since CLAMP learned to draw its first mech with its uncomplicated characters very much dead the one moment only to be magically revived the very next without any form of explanation whatsoever. That’s corny. Yeah, now shows like that well deserve their 9/10’s hey?
Lets not start a "my show is better than your show" mud slinging contest it reeks of immaturity, and it shows your inability to debate a topic like a adult.
Rayne wrote:There’s no hype surrounding this show. It set attendance records in the cinemas it showed in. Its outselling Geass 10-1 and Macross 15-1. At 3 times the price btw. What hype larch? People don’t need to hype it.
The show is practically reeks of product placements for Japanese food stuff like ABHOR strawberry and cherry ice cream amongst other things. It seems to me a bit contradictory that a show is not hyped yet there is already a crap load of merchandise released for it.
Rayne wrote: It sports the best animation and musical score in recent years.
I think you are a bit blinded by your fanboyism the shows animation and music is good but not as groundbreakingly awesome as you describe it.
Rayne wrote: You’re willing to discredit this simply because you had a hard time with its plot?
The complete lack of introduction and/or exposition about these characters in the show is pretty unacceptable. The movie is assuming you know ***** because of the novel, but this is also a fatal flaw which hurts a lot of modern anime since some people just aren’t familiar with the source material. There was way too much pseudo-philosophical talk going even for a Japanese show on which turned the first episode into a total yawn fest. Too much wishy washy BS and pretentious musings about Death, Life and Moral Values.
Rayne wrote: Your better than that. Your opinion alone would have sufficed just fine, your closing exaggeration, unneeded.
Not really I have no use for fanboyism on any level so I am not easily blinded by it. Too bad their fanboys are too busy lapping this up to notice some of the horrible flows the show has when it comes to story and plot. Type-Moon fans will eat it up, but I guess guys like me will still wonder just what all the fuss is about.
Rayne wrote: You can just ask if there's something you don't know, like everyone else following Nasu's work.
Thanks for proving my point that you need to be a Nasu fan to fully understand and enjoy the show, which I have stated more than once already.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

larch wrote:Please explain to me the concept of what age has to do with understanding a bad plot?
Oh, you didn’t get it so by default it must be bad? This is not episodic and you’ve seen little more than an opening in timeline. Did you not know it’s not chronological? You’re a seasoned anime viewer, so why then are you dragging this down to the substandard norm?
larch wrote:Lets not start a "my show is better than your show" mud slinging contest it reeks of immaturity, and it shows your inability to debate a topic like a adult.
I was aiming for that nerve. :wink: Do you still not see what I did there?
larch wrote:The show is practically reeks of product placements for Japanese food stuff like ABHOR strawberry and cherry ice cream amongst other things. It seems to me a bit contradictory that a show is not hyped yet there is already a **** load of merchandise released for it.
Two figurines and one sword, the latter by law for adults only. Did I miss something? And since when was product placement considered hype? What are they hyping, ice cream? As opposed to, of course, Pizza Hut, countless Gurren’s and how many Geass figures? Kara no Kyoukai’s hardly in consideration, let alone on radar. / Oh shucks, I did it again, sorry. Bad fanboi… bad…
larch wrote:I think you are a bit blinded by your fanboyism the shows animation and music is good but not as groundbreakingly awesome as you describe it.
Like what we’ve seen these past two years? 5 Centimeter per Second? Seen it just the other day, it’s not quite there. What need I do to not be branded a fanboi in your eyes larch, post screenshots of the two? I think your deliberately discrediting the rest of this production to simply better suit your view. Work on that, because as a reviewer yourself it’s not something you should be doing.
larch wrote:The complete lack of introduction and/or exposition about these characters in the show is pretty unacceptable. The movie is assuming you know **** because of the novel, but this is also a fatal flaw which hurts a lot of modern anime since some people just aren’t familiar with the source material. There was way too much pseudo-philosophical talk going even for a Japanese show on which turned the first episode into a total yawn fest. Too much wishy washy BS and pretentious musings about Death, Life and Moral Values.
Kara no Kyoukai was written in 1998 so really, compared to everything else you’ve seen these past eleven years, just how clichéd is it? The script has not been changed for its animated adaption of 2007. Those who read the novel know nothing more than those now watching the movies, its exactly the same. The authors request to rewrite it before production to soften the impact was declined. We all have our opinion on life, death and moral values and need only understand how that applies to this story, nothing more. And besides, its exclusive to Japanese audiences. A little more than half of it has been translated, most of which merely in draft. You are overcomplicating this. Yes the audience is required to think for a change but even so the answers are all there. Since when was this a bad thing? The mysterious aspect of this show is exactly where its appeal lies, a trademark of TYPE-MOON works. There’ll be nothing handed to you on a silver platter. But just like a thought provoking show’s a welcome change to the otherwise nonsensical rubbish were subjected to imo, I shall respect and take no more away from yours nonetheless.
larch wrote:Not really I have no use for fanboyism on any level so I am not easily blinded by it. Too bad their fanboys are too busy lapping this up to notice some of the horrible flows the show has when it comes to story and plot. Type-Moon fans will eat it up, but I guess guys like me will still wonder just what all the fuss is about.
We are all fanbois, each and every one of us.
larch wrote:Thanks for proving my point that you need to be a Nasu fan to fully understand and enjoy the show, which I have stated more than once already.
You have questions yet you’re still not asking. Like I said, his work is known for its complexity. Don’t wander into the wrong cinema next time.
larch

Post by larch »

Rayne wrote: Oh, you didn’t get it so by default it must be bad? This is not episodic and you’ve seen little more than an opening in timeline. Did you not know it’s not chronological? You’re a seasoned anime viewer, so why then are you dragging this down to the substandard norm?
For all of the fancy playing around with chronology Kara no Kyoukai’s been doing it still can’t disguise the rather flimsy storytelling. With endless slightly cryptic conversations that mostly say the same things over and over again.
Rayne wrote: I was aiming for that nerve. :wink: Do you still not see what I did there?
Not really I don't have time to try and get a reaction out of others by saying something that might get a negative reaction out of them.
larch wrote: Two figurines and one sword, the latter by law for adults only. Did I miss something? And since when was product placement considered hype? What are they hyping, ice cream?
I think you are missing the point but then again that is to be expected, go watch the first 3 movies again and count how many brand names you see in a single episode and how much airtime they get.
Rayne wrote: Like what we’ve seen these past two years? 5 Centimeter per Second? Seen it just the other day, it’s not quite there. What need I do to not be branded a fanboi in your eyes larch, post screenshots of the two? I think your deliberately discrediting the rest of this production to simply better suit your view. Work on that, because as a reviewer yourself it’s not something you should be doing.
What is there to discreted. You do know that even Nasu said that Kara no Kyoukai was badly written novel in the first place and that it is based of that work and it is painfully obvious. Yes I am a reviewer and a reviewers work is to review and call crap when he sees crap, you are pretty vocal about that on some of the titles I have reviewed. But it seems you dont like it when its the other way around.
Rayne wrote: Kara no Kyoukai was written in 1998 so really, compared to everything else you’ve seen these past eleven years, just how clichéd is it? The script has not been changed for its animated adaption of 2007. Those who read the novel know nothing more than those now watching the movies, its exactly the same. The authors request to rewrite it before production to soften the impact was declined. We all have our opinion on life, death and moral values and need only understand how that applies to this story, nothing more. And besides, its exclusive to Japanese audiences. A little more than half of it has been translated, most of which merely in draft. You are overcomplicating this. Yes the audience is required to think for a change but even so the answers are all there. Since when was this a bad thing? The mysterious aspect of this show is exactly where its appeal lies, a trademark of TYPE-MOON works. There’ll be nothing handed to you on a silver platter. But just like a thought provoking show’s a welcome change to the otherwise nonsensical rubbish were subjected to imo, I shall respect and take no more away from yours nonetheless.
Why are you making these elaborate excuses for a show that would be almost impossible to follow did you not actually know of any of the backstory of this anime? "mysterious aspect" oh you mean the endless slightly cryptic conversations that mostly say the same things over and over again. "Trademark of TYPE-MOON works" yeah we seen some of that trademark in other fanboy created works like FSN that all of the fans happy ate up.

Rayne wrote: We are all fanbois, each and every one of us.
Not really some people are blinded by it case in point would be you on Kara no Kyoukai as you have been hyping this overrated show to death, hell you are a walking advertisement for it. So in your eyes this show is perfection itself. Yet you don't notices the very big flaws in this series which was obviously created for typemoon fanboys.
larch wrote: You have questions yet you’re still not asking. Like I said, his work is known for its complexity. Don’t wander into the wrong cinema next time.
What a cheap cop out and excuse. I’m a patient man when it comes to anime. I also watch all sorts of pseudo-pretentious stuff quite happily.I’m not an idiot. I know when I’m being ******. Shiki’s precarious psychological state as being something more supernatural is utter crap, she’s just a homicidal maniac nothing mysterious there. A woman with issues done so many times already.

To summarize this show is pretty simple if you don't know any of the Kara no Kyoukai universe settings and you are not a typemoon fan stay away from this as its a mediocre over hyped show which only caters for the hotdcore fans.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

larch wrote:For all of the fancy playing around with chronology Kara no Kyoukai’s been doing it still can’t disguise the rather flimsy storytelling. With endless slightly cryptic conversations that mostly say the same things over and over again.
Yet you yourself said you still didn’t get it… Earlier it was too complex and now it is too weak. Make up your mind which is it? Pick one if you have to.
larch wrote:Not really I don't have time to try and get a reaction out of others by saying something that might get a negative reaction out of them.
And yet you did.
larch wrote:I think you are missing the point but then again that is to be expected, go watch the first 3 movies again and count how many brand names you see in a single episode and how much airtime they get.
It was **** metaphoric. Oh wait, I forgot, you didn’t get it… And you’re once again exaggerating.
larch wrote:What is there to discreted. You do know that even Nasu said that Kara no Kyoukai was badly written novel in the first place and that it is based of that work and it is painfully obvious. Yes I am a reviewer and a reviewers work is to review and call **** when he sees ****, you are pretty vocal about that on some of the titles I have reviewed. But it seems you dont like it when its the other way around.
Not at all, I just love how you always manage to twist works of fiction to solely fit your view and maintain ignorance to everything else people attempt to point out, really can’t help but reply, apologies.
larch wrote:Why are you making these elaborate excuses for a show that would be almost impossible to follow did you not actually know of any of the backstory of this anime? "mysterious aspect" oh you mean the endless slightly cryptic conversations that mostly say the same things over and over again. "Trademark of TYPE-MOON works" yeah we seen some of that trademark in other fanboy created works like FSN that all of the fans happy ate up.
Like I keep telling you larch, people are following this just fine with and without novel, which, I’ll tell you again, didn’t have back-story either. Perhaps, should you have followed this like the rest of us instead of simply yapping about it’s opening, you’d have seen the prologue and wouldn’t have been yapping about it in the first place. And no, in actual fact, fans did not take kindly to Tsukihime and FSN.
larch wrote:Not really some people are blinded by it case in point would be you on Kara no Kyoukai as you have been hyping this overrated show to death, hell you are a walking advertisement for it. So in your eyes this show is perfection itself. Yet you don't notices the very big flaws in this series which was obviously created for typemoon fanboys.
/
larch wrote:Not really I don't have time to try and get a reaction out of others by saying something that might get a negative reaction out of them.
Rayne wrote:… news of the Kara no Kyoukai adaptation was met with mixed reactions…
Rayne wrote:…Overlooking View is the introduction to the series and those who read the novel describe it as one of the poorer of the 7 chapters. Do not expect your questions answered, yet…
Rayne wrote:…You either love or hate TM's work…
Rayne wrote:…Slowly but surely questions are being answered but even so more questions are being raised…
Rayne wrote:…There’s no quick fix for you to find here so if this is not your thing then by all means, please move along…
Rayne wrote:…The novel is written all over the place…
Rayne wrote:…At first watch, most okes will not understand everything…
Rayne wrote:…The story will not conclude until you've seen chapter 7…
Rayne wrote:…Most your prior confusion should be pretty clear now…
Rayne wrote:…Apparently 6 is a bit complicated as supposedly there's more to tell than an hour can fit…
Rayne wrote:…There's much I'm pleased with but for the first time with KnK, a few things I'm not…
Rayne wrote:…Lets also keep in mind this is a Nasu piece of work and with that said let me warn you that this chapters directing perfectly compliments it’s title…
Rayne wrote:…the earlier parts of this movie especially purposely means to confuse…
Rayne wrote:…even animations like this with a budget of five production houses is not without flaw…
Rayne wrote:…Shiki’s very first fight scene against the living dead of the Ogawa Apartment Complex felt completely out of place…
Rayne wrote:…the drop in animation quality was a bad choice…
Rayne wrote:…I’ve got myself another little something to complain about again…
Rayne wrote:…This was made perfectly clear in novel but once again it’s not the case in this chapter…
Blinded? Perfect? I’m posting about a show I’m enjoying, a show which leaves enough food for thought to entertain discussion. If this makes me a fanboy I’m proud to be one. But fine larch let’s get personal if you want to, its an easy game to play. Should we compare post-counts on our fanboyism, I mean, topics in this section?

larch wrote:What a cheap cop out and excuse. I’m a patient man when it comes to anime. I also watch all sorts of pseudo-pretentious stuff quite happily.I’m not an idiot. I know when I’m being ******. Shiki’s precarious psychological state as being something more supernatural is utter ****, she’s just a homicidal maniac nothing mysterious there. A woman with issues done so many times already.

To summarize this show is pretty simple if you don't know any of the Kara no Kyoukai universe settings and you are not a typemoon fan stay away from this as its a mediocre over hyped show which only caters for the hotdcore fans.
That’s your view just like I have mine. Stating your opinion’s one thing, forcing it is however, quite another. If you don’t like it then fine, say so in a manner that doesn’t make the rest of us look like retards, preferably. You : Saw it, not quite my thing. – Me : Pity man, oh well. See how easy that is? Keep on ranting about it and of course your sparking a reply.
larch

Post by larch »

Rayne wrote: That’s your view just like I have mine. Stating your opinion’s one thing, forcing it is however, quite another. If you don’t like it then fine, say so in a manner that doesn’t make the rest of us look like retards, preferably. You : Saw it, not quite my thing. – Me : Pity man, oh well. See how easy that is? Keep on ranting about it and of course your sparking a reply.
Funny how this reminds me of the Otaku retards when you don't like one of there favourite shows and you voice your opinion about it they get there panties all in a bunch.I made my point you can now go suck off Nasu for the next installment of mindless "deep and philosophical " Kara no Kyoukai enjoy. And congratulations on your post count your e-penis must be huge hey.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

larch wrote:..go suck off Nasu for the next installment of mindless "deep and philosophical " Kara no Kyoukai...
Yeah?

/ Again seeing what you want to see, as expected it seems...

And I was asking whether you’d like me to point out this hype you speak of in topics started by me against those started by you seeing I’m, as you say you know, such a fanboy and you, as you say you know, are not. Ouch, guess who’s leading the pack? My, I’ve sure got a mighty bit of catching up to do by the looks of things so sorry to disappoint mate but rest assured nonetheless, the e-peen award for fanboyism on this board still belongs to nobody else, but you.

Practice what you preach.

And thanks for the heads-up man, sure am looking forward to that next installment so in closing yeah, love you too larch.
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

I finished watching KnK last week and I must say that it was pretty hard to get into, but once I came to grips with it I really enjoyed it. The story is not life-changing and drags on unnecessarily at times but it makes up for this by being quite entertaining if you wait for it. This is one of those shows that you must be prepared to meet at least a quarter of the way before it gives back to you. Don't worry though, it gives back more than it takes :)
t3h blog
"Hail Eärendil, of mariners most renowned, the looked for that cometh at unawares, the longed for that cometh beyond hope! Hail Eärendil, bearer of light before the Sun and Moon! Splendour of the Children of Earth, star in the darkness, jewel in the sunset, radiant in the morning!"

Of the Voyage of Eärendil , The Silmarillion
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Chapter 6 subbed July 29th.

Chapter 7 in cinema August. Subbed ... ... ...

... February 2010.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Chapter 5, Mujun Rasen | Paradox Spiral will be premiered in full 2 hour length on May 22nd during Anime Boston 2009, first time ever on US soil. Can we hope for a license soon?

In addition to that Kalafina released their first studio album titled Seventh Heaven recently and will be attending same expo as guests of honor, among others. I'm not sure if any live performances are due though, will check YouTube next weekend.
Kalafina is a songstress project that started from female vocalist auditions held by hit maker Yuki Kajiura.

Many times during the auditions, the singers with voices that met with Ms. Kajiura’s high expectations, performed each of the songs composed by Yuki Kajiura, and the best vocalists were selected forming the style of this group. Surely as each song differs, the charming music from these singers will begin to take shape.

Wakana, Keiko, and Hikaru, the three of them together, are Kalafina. The group put on a vivid debut on January 23, 2008 with their single “oblivious”. The debut single “oblivious” reached #8 on the Oricon weekly chart, Japan’s equivalent of the Billboard Music Chart, and following that, their second single “springer/ARIA” and third single “fairytale”, part of a 3 title/CD series release, got them into the Oricon Chart Top 10.

They recorded a big hit with being asked to do the theme song for the animated movie series “The Garden of Sinners” (Kara no Kyokai). With more than 500,000 copies of the DVD sold, “The Garden of Sinners” (Kara no Kyokai) is currently the most widely noticed anime series in Japan.

On March 4, 2009, Kalafina will simultaneously release their first album “Seventh Heaven” along with their fourth single “Lacrimosa”. “Lacrimosa” is the ending theme for the popular TV anime “******” (Black Butler).
AB09
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

YouTube's out. They indeed performed live, but cams were not permitted. Perhaps too soon to start Googling for comments on the weekend past but here's some early feedback anyway -
Each of the guests came up on the stage after being introduced. They then say a line or two. First guest is Atsuhiro Iwakami. Then Kajiura. Then Kalafina (and if you care, Wakana is sitting to the audience’s right this time). [As an aside, I am pretty sure Kalafina makes an effort to always sit and appear in public in the same order–Hikaru, Keiko, Wakana, from left to right. However they didn’t during one event this weekend and I only realized later, lol.]

We got straight to Q&A. I asked the first question so I kind of missed the second and third question. I’ll fill it in later. If there’s a new question after a paragraph break it means the same person asked another question.

Q1: How would Americans understand the book? (Long question actually. Uh. Long story to the question rather.)
Producer-san: the books are confusing but fun for otaku to solve it. The anime makes it easier to understand though. [Actually it’s probably better said that they are confusing for the Japanese because it is something mystery fiction fans look for to solve hard stories.]

So we should watch the anime first?
Producer-san: yeah, in Japan people do it either way too.

Q2: [tbd]

Q3: How did you determine the voice cast
Producer-san: Audition, and we selected Sakamoto.

Did you chase after a particular actor?
Producer-san: No

Q4: How difficult it was to do a dark film?
??? I missed the first part of the answer.
Kajiura: The music and the image has to fit perfectly and they spent a lot of time getting it right.
Producer-san: Kajiura took her time to make the soundtrack perfect, and I appreciate the time she took to make it. We would get the music from her for a piece and make more animation based on that music, and then that next piece will go back to her so she makes more music, etc.

Q5: Have you visited other countries? [I think the fan was trying to ask something slightly different.]
Hikaru: This is the first time I went oversea!
Keiko: Korea.
Wakana: New Zealand.
Kajiura: I lived in Germany, and backpacked in Europe.
Producer: Been to Mongolia because I took a course in Mongolian history(?)
PR-san: Wow, surprising.

Q6: How did you feel about the music after seeing the final product? [This guy had a tough time getting the question out.]
Kajiura: I have not finish all the soundtracks yet! I have 1 song left to finish for the new film. Maybe after I’m done with that I can give you an answer.

Q7: What other bands do you listen to [Reprised and slightly different than last time!]

Wakana: Vanessa Williams
Keiko: Pink
Hikaru: Beyonce
Kajiura: Radiohead, Bjork [I LOLLLLLLL’D]

Q8: Open Your Heart (from .hack): was it written for the anime or was it a song you came up with originally?
Kajiura: Usually I write specifically for a title, but rarely I will use original things that came to me in later works. In Open Your Heart, it was something that I had it in my mind for a long time before. So it was one of those rare cases.

Q9: How do you feel about working in on Rakkyo?
Hikaru: It’s an epic title! 7 movies! Very happy to work with this title.
Keiko: It has a particular image and vibe and world, in each movie we create that theme so we’re happy to be involved
Wakana: We read all the books, it was really exciting to work with it.
Kajiura: After I read the novel, I felt confident that I can compose for it. I can compose the BGM and the theme song too, so I am happy that I can create a consistent feel.
Producer-san: I’m the person who made it go ahead, and I wanted to work with Kalafina and Kajiura, so I’m happy that I can do it.

Q10: Will Re:Oblivion be available in the US? And if you had intention to work with other Type-Moon books?
Kajiura: We would love to release Re:Oblivion in the US.
Produer-san: I like all those Type-Moon titles, but we have no plan. Maybe in the future.

After the last guy in line gave a sentence to thank Kajiura’s music, we got a chance to answer 10 trivia questions to win some autographed posters. Nine out of ten questions were fairly easy (and the answers were all covered by this weekend’s posts, it’s that easy). The one hard one was pretty hard but not so hard that no one got it. On one try. Or maybe we just had some srsbzns Type-Moon types in the room.

A bunch of copies of Faust vol 1 (Del Ray’s) was given to the people who asked questions. I gave my copy away because, lol.

The panel ended with some last words: “Please see the other movies!” “Thank you so much, I’ll be back, etc” x3
http://www.omonomono.com/2009/05/24/kar ... ston-day-3
Kalafina was originally formed to perform the songs for the animated movie adaptations of the “Kara no Kyoukai” (The Garden of Sinners) novels. Did you read the novels or watch the movies of “Kara no Kyoukai” before you began work as Kalafina?

Wakana: After passing the audition, I read the original novel and tried to link it with Kajiura-san’s music's image.

Keiko: I read the novel after passing the audition.

Hikaru: I bought and read the novel right after I became a member of Kalafina.

If so, do you think they have influenced the way you perform a song? And have you become more interested in the movies or novels?

Wakana: Yes, I think so. Especially with the song Kimi ga Hikari ni Kaeteiku (You Turn It into Light), I always recall the main character.

Keiko: Yes, it has influenced on our performance. When singing a song that’s used for the ending theme of “The Garden of Sinners,” I try to express the lyrics with my body movements!

Hikaru: Obviously, all these songs were composed for “The Garden of Sinners,” so I tried to express the inspiration I’ve received from the novel as well.

Kalafina: Of course, it made us even more interested, and we feel refreshed to come across this unique new view of the world. Every time we saw the film, we were all drawn into the combination of the pictures and the music.

Most of your work so far has been linked to an anime. Given the opportunity, would you like to release more singles that have no associations other than with Kalafina?

Wakana: Yes, I think that’s definitely a possibility. We’re expressionists through singing, so I think it’s great if we could individually work in various fields. Also, I hope that Kalafina will not only be specifically linked to anime, but rather recognized as a “Kalafina Sound” so that our music will reach out to even more people.

Keiko: Rather than thinking about our future activities, I hope that I can build a firm platform as Kalafina for now.

Hikaru: Kalafina was originally formed for “The Garden of Sinners,” but I hope to participate in various activities in the future and with Kajiura-san again, too.
http://www.jame-world.com/ca/articles-4 ... afina.html
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Japan’s Tokushima Tourism Association asked Ufotable to make a poster for the annual Awa Odori dance festival. The last time an animation studio was asked to pimp the show was apparently 50 years ago.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Chapter 7's in cinemas now. It's 1h 59m (longer than chapter 5) and supposedly handled better than the novel with slight changes here and there.

They may or may not animate the extra chapter "Gospel of the Future", a story involving Azaka's roommate Seo, whom we met briefly towards the end of chapter 6. Word is they want to do a proper job should they milk this any further, so there's nothing official for now, but a DVD extra may not be asking for too much.

As far as chapter 6 goes I shall update this thread at a later date, only for the sake of completion.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Straight off the bat -
Breather episode : Cute and light-hearted, almost as if preparing you for a soul-shatteringly traumatic finale.
Prostitution. Teenage pregnancy. Guilt. Suicide. The basis for what was is Kara no Kyoukai chapter 6 you will… not get to see. Sadly so, this installment deviated from its original pretty greatly, dealing with drug abuse instead. That however isn’t exactly a problem as none of us can actually read the un-translated source and thinking back to an interview with its maker Kinoko Nasu when all of this still consisted of nothing more than concepts and drawing boards we really shouldn’t act all that surprised. Chapter 6 was always intended to act as relief from an otherwise darker tone. Azaka was mentioned to be the hardest character to cast in a choice between either cute or serious and the former was decided upon so as to compliment the intended mood and if for nothing else but that, it pretty much succeeded. From the openings self-introduction and upbeat classical tone all the way to that happily ever after ending Azaka stood center-stage (In both this anime adaptation and novel btw, simplified it is, completely different it is not).

Kara no Kyoukai, chapter 6, Oblivion Recorder :

To gasp the meaning behind the title you are going to have to look it up. Sole anime viewers are presented with bits and pieces, not enough to understand the whole by the end of this release. Nothing new for Nasu’s followers but for everyone else you’ll at least find relief in the fact that complete understanding’s not required for the sole purpose of stand-alone view. Character backgrounds have not only been altered, it’s been completely cut and relations gave way for simplicity. Those longing for that something more are going to miss it but those simply watching to see what the fuss is about won’t even notice.

In a nutshell, one of the students at Reien Girl’s Academy (the school Azaka attends) committed suicide by setting herself on fire, mumbling about fairies in midst of her depression before she did. Touko of course, dealing with supernatural cases, recognizes the fact that there’s more than meets the eye and so sends Shiki under pretense of being a transfer student to accompany Azaka and investigate the incident as only Shiki’s Mystic Eyes would be able to see the mythical beings. Tasked with this objective these two starts digging where they should not and in so doing quickly uncovers the facts behind this mystery. Sure this may sound interesting enough to make it worth a watch but plot aside the actual fan-pleaser here is nothing more than the forced interactions between these two characters, Azaka and Shiki. Albeit a bit exaggerated here and there it was really interesting to see nonetheless.

I shall remind you that even this simplified installment remains true to Kara no Kyoukai though so you are advised to pay it the attention it requires in order to piece everything together. I’ll touch on a few things here and there but I won’t be covering every detail as I think it’s easy enough to do.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Azaka Kokutou. A Magus in training, Azaka is naturally skilled in the magic of ignition. The glove she wears is made of Salamander skin, used to increase and decrease the potency of her spells. Speaking of spells it would also be good to note how it’s implemented in the Nasuverse. The stronger the spell, the longer the chant. An obvious problem in hostile situations, magicians thus train to greatly shorten their strongest spells. A prime example of someone who mastered this ability would be Cornelius Alba. In novel he was able to chant and repeat at leisure a single-word spell in his stand-off against Touko, the power of which rivaling Noble Phantasms. Keep this in mind when seeing Azaka cast and you’ll note she’s a skilled Magus indeed. You’ll see her using one single-word spell in this animated chapter, AzoLto, but she’s capable of two others as well. This adaptation also revealed her to have magic circuits, something left to speculation until now. In terms of strength Azaka’s specific type of magic outclasses her master, Touko.

Witty and not at all ashamed of her brother-complex (come on, this is from the producers of Eroge after all) fleshing out her character was a welcome change of pace. I’m glad we got to see her interacting with Shiki and I think the actual feelings between these two should now be pretty clear to everyone watching.

Her fight scene was a bit short but note too that it was even shorter in novel. Azaka is a schoolgirl, not a demon hunter, of course there’s only so much you can do with that. For what it’s worth its animation was stunning and just like chapter 5’s animated amazingly fast, trying to capture this was a pain.

Misaya Ouji. Oh how I love Kara no Kyoukai’s villains. Why? Because they’re not villains! First things first, there’s a lot you won’t know about her after seeing this chapter and a lot you probably want to. Misaya’s relation, objective and past was altered and in some aspects, completely cut to fit this adaptation. This series remained as true to its roots as possible until now so this came as a bit of a surprise indeed. Nevertheless, there aren’t exactly any plot holes when the credits roll, it’s just that, well, perhaps too much was left out.

Misaya’s tale is that of revenge. After her best friend Kaori committed suicide her shock and sadness turned to anger towards everyone who knew of Kaori’s problems yet did not lift a finger to help her. Of course, her hostility a front only to hide the guilt she felt for not being able to save someone closest to her either. Looking for answers she found and confronted the person directly responsible for her friend’s death, a teacher, Hideo Hayama. He was a drug addict and Kaori stumbled upon him on one of his highs one day. In quest to keep her quiet he forcefully drugged her, and thus so begun Kaori’s deterioration.

In their confrontation however, she accidently killed him. Out of her mind after having killed someone she sought help. The very first person she consulted however, Satsuki Kurogiri, just so happened to be the wrong one. Under his influence Misaya decided to erase Kaori’s shame from the memories of all those who knew. She used Hideo’s corpse as a familiar to summon and control the fairies which she would use to ultimately have her fellow students suffer Kaori’s exact same fate.

Anime vs novel :

- Hideo wasn’t a drug addict, he was a pimp. Being a prestigious, completely private school, students are not allowed to come and go as they please. Because many of them longed for yet never experienced a night on the town, Hideo exploited this fact and let them slip out on his watch in return for sexual favors. Blackmailing them to have them kicked out of the academy should they ever tell on him, the girls remained quiet.
- Kaori wasn’t drugged, she was raped after learning about these happenings. Forced into the same situation she was too ashamed to tell and because the other girls had much to lose should they be exposed, they bullied her instead of lending her a helping hand. To make matters worse, Kaori fell pregnant, and so decided to take her life.
- Misaya had a long-lost brother.
- Satsuki Kurogiri is hinted to be that brother.

Satsuki Kurogiri. After watching this chapter you’ll more than likely not have any idea who this man really is, and nor should you actually care. A renowned Magus by the name of God’s Word, Satsuki reached an ultimate objective being the only person alive able to speak the unified language. Designated to be sealed by the Mages Association so as to preserve his accomplishment he has been in hiding posing as a teacher, being at Reien Girl’s Academy for this installment. In every school he attends a student commits suicide, and Reien will be no exception.

Able to directly address the body bypassing all means of reasoning Satsuki is able to gaze into the listeners memories and place them under hypnosis. When a broken Misaya thus approached him for advice, he, to his amusement, decided to play her for a fool instead. Replacing the memory of her best friend’s death it was he who made the fairies, under his summon, seemingly follow her.

Playing pranks isn’t exactly how he passes his time though, Satsuki had a reason being here. Araya Souren asked him to regain the memory Shiki lost of the night SHIKI died. Of course, he’s here to lure Shiki and do just that and of course, Shiki’s not going to relive her life’s greatest tragedy without putting up a fight.

Anime vs novel :

- Satsuki was kidnapped by fairies as a child and lost his memories as result. It was then that he acquired the ability to control fairies and it was then that he started wandering in quest to regain his former self. His memories was not in actual fact lost to him, it’s just that he lost the ability to recognize it as his. It’s for this reason that he gazed into other people’s memories, looking for clues that will lead him to his own. He attempted to preserve the memories of all those he encountered as he felt people would not be complete once forgetful. Shiki of course disagreed with his reasoning, stating that some things are forgotten for a reason, and others you’re simply better off not knowing.
- Kaori was a Christian and as such suicide was not something she would easily consider. When she came to him in search of assistance after learning she’s pregnant, Satsuki gave her that little push she needed to take her all the way off the edge. Yes, he’s the actual person responsible for her death.
- Satsuki had a long-lost sister.
- Shiki didn’t kill him. After his confrontation with Shiki he went to his room. It is here where a student stabbed him.
- Misaya Ouji is hinted to be that student.

Oooh her magic circuit’s showing.

Azaka means “bright flower”. Get it? No I didn’t either...

And that’s all folks. For now. Not a bad way to waste an hour of your life but for the fans probably not the best of the series. Personally I think this is unmistakably Kara no Kyoukai yes, just not enough of it. Seeing the two hour finale’s just a few months away though I can happily view this for what it is. Again, it was a welcome change in pace.

Oh, and the booklet sold at chapter 7 screenings confirmed the epilogue, Kara no Kyoukai, will indeed be animated.

More on this next year.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Very interesting. A marathon when the finale is released seems to be in order.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Luckily there's enough to carry us through to this show's end.

Wanna see a blond Shiki with no boobs? Watch Canaan. As a bonus both Maaya Sakamoto (Shiki) and Jouji Nakata (Araya) do some voice-acting in it too, Sakamoto as Canaan Alphard and Nakata as a taxi driver you see in just about every episode.

It's from Nasu's pen (game named 428) but don't expect anything in KnK's class.

And of course the cinematic Fate/stay night's coming soon. Looking forward to that (where's our promised Tsukihime remake?!).

TYPE-MOON's new PS2 2D fighter Melty Blood : Actress Again is out too. Nowhere else would you see KnK's Shiki and Arc together (seemingly impossible). Not like we can play it but anyway.

Btw I forgot to add a few things last night -
Spoiler: (show)
She's seen in chapter 6 but shame she's blind now.

Spoiler: (show)
Events in chapter 6 links to chapter 3's. Of course she didn't waltz into the bar every now and again because she couldn't wait to be raped. She was forced into Hideo's prostitution too. He was buddies with Keita's gang.
Won't mind reading #6, #7 and the new chapter too but so far it doesn't look like we'll see Del Rey release anything this year.

The synopsis for chapter 6, novel - http://www2.ocn.ne.jp/~typemoon/rakkyo/06.htm
Worth a read to fill some gaps - http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... aNoKyoukai
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Fan translation of the newly written novel, Gospel of the Future | Mirai Fukuin - Mobius Link (incomplete) for whoever cares :

http://finality.dasaku.net/?p=4246

Epic spoiler simply browsing there, so keep that in mind. Though, no, you will not see it animated.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Chapter 7 previews -

http://www.karanokyoukai.com/movie/7_cm.html
http://www.karanokyoukai.com/movie/7_yokoku.html

And in other news -
There have been reports from Sendai, Japan that a theater showing horror anime Kara no Kyoukai - The Garden of Sinners has been using a PS3 to project the film.

In the theater, folks claim to have seen things like messages to charge the USB controller pop up on the screen.

According to one site, the Blu-ray version of the film is being screened, but Wired Vision confirmed this with the film's distributor and Sony subsidiary Aniplex that a data file of the movie is running off of a PS3. The film is in full HD, and there is apparently no noticeable difference between it playing from the PS3's hard drive and a digital projector hard drive.

This theater in Sendai is not alone in using the PS3's hard drive for this flick — though, many on the Japanese internet seem to think this is rather cheap on the part of the cinemas. But a hard drive is a hard drive. It's the quality of the digital projector that folks should be more concerned about.

Kara no Kyoukai ("Boundary of Emptiness") follows Mikiya as a series of strange, violent deaths begin occurring in his town.
Kotaku
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

One and a half years later and an awesome show came to an awesome end.

This had better be licensed soon.

I'll post on #7 after the holidays.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

7x movies + 30 minute epiloque Blu-ray set with english subs announced.

52 000 JPY / 620 USD / R4 500 ...

OMG that's expensive. Be careful what you wish for they say...

I'll need to think about his.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Rayne, you must be beyond passionate about this series to even consider spending that amount of cash...
Please stop by the ward, Dr Jung is around and it may do you some good to have a chat with him.

Otherwise, how you been, bra?
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Good, good...

Cut down on posting and net activity in general which I why I'm not around much anymore. Pretty much dropped anime too (as in not seen any new shows since December). I'll get around to it when I feel like it again one day I guess.

Nice to see some familiar posters every now and again though.

As for the topic on hand well, this is going to sell out on pre-orders and a US license is not expected in another 2-3 years so I don't know just yet...

I'll place an order with AmiAmi for now, their offering it cheaper. Should I decide against it I'll just ask them to cancel it come February. Else I'll book one from Tokyo Hunter. He marks down invoices, AmiAmi doesn't.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Hiya Rayne. Long time hey.

I'll wait for a while before I buy it, maybe after 6 months or so the price will drop. I don't have a Blu-ray player yet anyway.

Lately I also don't have time for anime or games, or I'm just not in the mood. I think Kara no kyoukai is the last anime I have seen too.