Kara no Kyoukai

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Rayne

Kara no Kyoukai

Post by Rayne »

Borderline Of Emptiness or The Garden Of Sinners as it's been dubbed is the latest animated adaptation from the TYPE-MOON stable strongly based upon the original novel by author Kinoko Nasu. For those unfamiliar with TYPE-MOON, the animated Fate/Stay Night and Shingetsutan Tsukihime were also based on their work, being eroge, and Kara no Kyoukai shares a simmilar universe. As Kara no Kyoukai's been written in 1998 already, it makes it the original test-bed for what was the animated Shingetsutan Tsukihime. However, hardcore TYPE-MOON fans described the Fate/Stay Night anime as average and Shingetsutan Tsukihime's as a failure and as such news of the Kara no Kyoukai adaptation was met with mixed reactions followed by 2 years worth of hopes and speculations. That was back in 2006 though.
On December 1st 2007 the first installment of what would be the true to original 7 chapter novel was screened in Japanese theatres and this time die-hard critics are not just pleased, but overwhelmed by what was but an introduction, Overlooking View. Unlike the former, Kara no Kyoukai is produced for theatre and this you very soon realise mere minutes into the show, it's simply screaming production quality. More importantly though, it's very close to roots, a pleasant surprise for fans. Chapters 2-4 closely followed the first with screenings dated December 29th 2007, January 26th 2008 and last being Saturday, May 24th 2008. Chapters 5-7 are expected to be screened during the later half of 2008. Chapter 1's DVD release hit Japanese streets May 22nd 2008 with chapter 2's expected June 25th 2008 and chapter 3's July 23d 2008. A complete 2008 DVD release date not yet confirmed. Now that said allow me to get to the actual point of this thread and take a closer look at the first chapter.
Chapter 1 : Dai Isshou - Fukan Fuukei (Overlooking View)
ImageImageImageImageImage
Don't worry, this will be as spoiler-free as possible and for those who prefer not to see a few screenshots, now's a good time to click the back button in your browser. I'll keep this short and simple so that you guys know what's going on if your not up to the task of reading up on it yourselves. Without at least a little knowledge you'll find chapter 1 a little, strange. The very first thing to note is that Kara no Kyoukai like many Japanese tales is not told in order. Overlooking View is the introduction to the series and those who read the novel describe it as one of the poorer of the 7 chapters. Do not expect your questions answered, yet. Keep in mind there are 6 others to follow. As I mentioned earlier the TYPE-MOON universe overlap and those who watched Fate/Stay Night and Shingetsutan Tsukihime would feel oddly familiar with a number of concepts. To know exactly how much they all have in common refer to the chart below -
As the plot will fall in place by itself with the release of every chapter I will not be noting that, at all. We can all chat about that when it's finished. With the release of every chapter I'll give the characters just the needed bit of backstory though to assist with a stand-alone view.
Ryōgi Shiki
The girl at the center of Kara no Kyoukai. Shiki's from 1 of 4 families of the Demon Hunter Organization, the last known descendant. Just like Tohno Shiki from Shingetsutan Tsukihime she also has the unique ability, Chokushi no Magan, or Mystic Eyes Of Death Perception as it's known in English. The glasses given to Tohno Shiki in Tsukihime was formerly hers and she is said to have stronger eyes. Likewise the yellow raincoat you see her wearing in the screenshot above is the same raincoat Emiya Shirou used to conceal Saber just before her first fight with Berserker. As a child of the Ryōgi bloodline Shiki was taught and raised to have multiple personalities, one dominant and one feminine, consciously controlling both. She believes her dominant personality died in her car accident 3 years ago as she can no longer feel his presence since and now acts harsh in feminine form in an attempt to get him back. Aozaki Tohko would actually refer to her behaviour as a new third personality. Whilst she may come accross as insensitive, she is merely masking her true kind and loving self. She leads a very simplistic life and wears only but a Kimono. She also harbours feelings for Kokutō Mikiya, though she will not openly admit it. She works for Aozaki Tohko investigating the supernatural. Shiki lost her left arm. This event will be explained in the upcoming chapter 3. Aozaki Tohko crafted her the new one we see her using now.
Aozaki Tohko
Tohko runs the business Garan no Dou acting as a puppet maker also investigating cases related to the supernatural. The building itself cannot be seen and only found by those specifically looking for her. She is actually a sorceress formerly from the London Mage's Association, and an extremely powerful one at that. Tohko mastered Rune sorcery but specializes in puppets. Her creations can imitate humans themselves. She took Shiki under her wing as she was interested in her ability. Just like Shiki she seems to switch personality at the drop of a hat, acting friendly when she's wearing her glasses and cold when she's not. Tohko is the older sister of Tsukihime's Aozaki Aoko, the woman who gave Shiki his glasses, whom he addressed as teacher.
Kokutō Mikiya
Mikiya saw one of Tohko's dolls at an exhibition and was so amazed by it he took it upon himself to find it's maker which led him to Garan no Dou, Tokho's workplace. Impressed that he found her she offered him a job as her assistant. He is a very close friend to Shiki and seems to understand her true feelings all too well.
Fujō Kirie
As far as this girl's concerned I'm not going to say anything. Just listen carefully what she has to say...
Kokutō Azaka
Introduced at the end of chapter 1. She is Mikiya's younger sister, an apprentice of Tokho's, gifted in fire spells. More on her come chapter 3.
Chapter 2 : Dai ni Shou Satsujin Kousatsu (Murder Study) - Preview
Enough for now. I will expand this entry as the rest of the chapters are released. As you can see chapter 2's focus is on Shiki and the basis for the plot. Chapter 3 will again take us back to present. I'm looking forward to seeing Fujino Asagami. A few links - Trailer (Chapter 2 : Murder Study) | Trailer (Chapter 3 : Remaining Sense Of Pain) | Trailer (Chapter 4 : The Hollowness) | Complete 7 movie preview | Official website | AniDB entry | Mirror Moon (thanks Nuke) | The Moonlit World | Baka-Tsuki | Wiki | Interview with Kinoko Nasu Crunchyroll rapes bandwidth hey so don't blame me if you find you cap gone. The translation for the novel has stalled. You can read 3 of 7 chapters over at Mirror Moon and upto chapter 5 over at Baka-Tsuki but best not wait for completion. More next month.
Last edited by Rayne on 23 Jul 2008, 21:18, edited 4 times in total.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Damn you oke's for making me spam my own threads. Nobody watching this? This will be one of if not the best release of 2008, mark my words. Nothing showing now or shown earlier this year comes close, nothing, no BONES production, no Production IG show, nothing. Watch it. If the producers wanted you to see everything in one shot then they would have given you everything in one shot. There's no need to wait. A few shop-shots of release day -
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Japan's current anime DVD ranking -
1. Kara no Kyoukai #1 . limited edition (21/05)
The general run time seems to be around the 50 minute mark per chapter but it's already disclosed that two chapters will run 90 minutes. With Geneon dead in the water I don't know who and when this will be picked up but I sincerely hope somebody does so soon. I've finished reading chapter one also and will start chapter 2 Sunday or so. It's a little confusing though and I hate reading on pc like this. Oh and Baka-Tsuki is back in business again. The novel will be completely translated. I also heard TYPE-MOON will be remaking Tsukihime? I guess that would be the game? Or anime? Not sure will google that some other time.
Last edited by Rayne on 23 Jul 2008, 21:22, edited 3 times in total.
larch

Post by larch »

Ever consider writing for a blog *cough* *cough* :D *hint*
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

I don't know where you okes get the time, but, heck, I ain't complaining. :wink:
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Nooooo I do not have time for something like that. It's hard finding time already. When I watch anime I don't play games and when I play games I don't watch anime. I simply don't have time for both so I stick to one depending on my mood. Anyways chapter 5 runs for 110 minutes. People were still standing in cinema as last as chapter 4. Finished reading chapter 2 too. Now for chapter 3, the one I really want to get to for some Asagami goodness. I'm a sucker for tragic villains. Pit that tragic villain against an anti-hero and **** I'm won over. July can't come soon enough.
Last edited by Rayne on 23 Jul 2008, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Cybersmart is offering a really nice package, at R25, where your cap will have 5 times it's value between 01:00 and 07:59, hence, if I download 5 gigs during that time it will deduct a mere 1 gig from my overall cap. Very nifty.

So hopefully I'll be able to get start downloading my own anime again. Am gonna a close eye on these threads.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Chapter 2 soon...
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Chapter 2 was just as good as expected. You either love or hate TM's work but say what you will, every one's talking about it and with the second instalment of Eva set to be screened December 2008 only, Kara no Kyoukai's set to be this years best release hands down. Anyways for those who got the [gg|Taka-Jun] release note to patch it - http://ggkthx.org/Scripts/KnK/[gg-TakaJun]_Kara_no_Kyoukai_-_02v2_magic_h4x_patch_[DEC297A0].rar . As with the first they were extremely fast with this release so a bug or two were present until noted after upload, though it was small enough to only warrant a patch, not a re-release. After patching you'll have a 02v2, the correct file, so feel free to delete the original and patching files thereafter but take care not to rename the file until after you patched it. I'll make a decent post tonight, I was too tired to do it last night. Finished it just after 12 as I had some sound problems. Missed some sounds and quickly got into the wtf routine. Thought it was this release but nah, normal two-channel worked fine and after some investigation I found my center speaker died, damn. So everything works except for that speaker, which is not a problem unless it's 5.1+ playback. Ended up watching it in Stereo... /sigh. Anyways as said decent post later, judging from the novel the best is yet to come. Oh and, don't worry about the unfinished translations. The novel is speculated to be licensed this year so hang on just a bit and you'll be able to enjoy it in hardcopy soon.
Last edited by Rayne on 23 Jul 2008, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

And now I don't feel like a long post... As an interesting side-note, Kara no Kyoukai has a thus confirmed, 5 directors, one per chapter with the last 2 chapters as yet undisclosed. This, though a whole, gives a unique theme to each. In addition Kalafina, the 4 member group formed exclusively for the Kara no Kyoukai profect, hand-picked from 30 000 participants under supervision of Yuki Kajiura, is to thank for giving each chapter it's own unique soundtrack with chapter 1's ED, "Oblivious", being the main theme.
Chapter 2 : Dai ni Shou Satsujin Kousatsu | Murder Study (Part 1)
"April 1995. I met her."
This chapter was, like the first, remarkably close to the novel. Unlike the first though, it was completely character driven. Chapter 2's the starting point of Kara no Kyoukai, the basis for the characters and the basis for the plot, being the murder mystery it is. It provided a lot of answers but do not however, jump to conclusions just yet. Without saying too much I will say that, in the world of Kara no Kyoukai, nothing is as it at first glance seems. You need be awake when watching this series. The novel is known to be quite a confusing one. The plot aside though, if I were to sum up chapter 2 in a single word, it would be "Shiki". This chapter was all about Shiki. Even though We learned lots however, we really know nothing yet. To quote the novel : "Ryohgi Shiki is my friend since high school. Our school was a famous private high school which taught a lot of students who went to a good college. When I first went to see if I got in the school or not, the name Ryohgi Shiki stood out so much that it stuck in my head and we ended up being in the same class. Since then, I became one of the few friends Shiki had. Our school did not have uniforms, so everyone expressed themselves by how they dressed. Within all these people, Shiki still stood out. ...Because Shiki would always be wearing a kimono. It's simple form fit Shiki's shoulders and it made the classroom feel like an old-stlye house just by having Shiki walk through it. Some of the students had a rocker-style outfit, but in front of Shiki, such an outfit had less value to it than the first edition of the magazine "STYLE". I think this is enough to explain what kind of a person Shiki is like."
She's a complex character. Never can tell what she's thinking. First hand experience with both Shiki's personalities. Are you playing with fire, Mikiya?
Chapter 3 : Dai san Shou Tsuukaku Zanryuu | Remaining Sense of Pain (Preview)
Fujino Asagami. July 23d 2008. Soon...
Last edited by Rayne on 23 Jul 2008, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Chapter 2 tops charts too. 8) Too lazy to start reading chapter 3. I doubt I will. Just awaiting the movies hereon out.
Last edited by Rayne on 23 Jul 2008, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

*Page break please!* Counting the minutes... watching some YouTube... - How not to use After Effects, Oblivious remixed and the clean version. Also worth a watch : http://youtube.com/watch?v=2v-KCyzAPd4 | http://youtube.com/watch?v=5bt2JkQVCmM | http://youtube.com/watch?v=qbFGr6WO1p4 | http://youtube.com/watch?v=P2zrHKo7CNI | http://youtube.com/watch?v=JUEgBtZQTd0 | http://youtube.com/watch?v=_vsVgF87utM
If this page doesn't break throw in a post or two please. I doubt it will support another long post for chapter 3.
Last edited by Rayne on 23 Jul 2008, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Too many vids for my cap. :?
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Prologue: When I was still small, I cut the palm of my hand while playing. Borrowed things, fake things, things that were made myself. Within the little kitchen utensils, there was one real one. When I realized, I cut my fingers while I was toying with the pretty sharp objects. I remember when I went up to my mom with my red hand, she scolded me, started crying, and finally embraced me gently. “Didn't it hurt?” My mom asked me. Rather than the word that I don't understand, I was happy that she embraced me and started crying together with her. “Fujino, when wounds heal, it won't hurt anymore.” My mom said that while she was bandaging me. I don't even know the meaning of that word, because I never felt that I was hurt.

Kara no Kyoukai, chapter 3, Remaining Sense Of Pain:

Fujino Asagami, a girl insensitive to pain.

Ever since first reading about Kara no Kyoukai have I been waiting for this. This is the chapter I knew right from the start would thus appeal to me most. Well today at long last marks the release of chapter 3 and I’m here to tell you I’ve not been disappointed, for one reason mainly, Fujino Asagami, chapter 3’s tragic main character. As with the prior chapters the visuals and audio’s of exceptional cinematic quality and this installment featured more blood, gore, nudity and action sequences in comparison to the first chapters too but, that’s not what won my favor. Those of you following should know from chapter 1 that Kara no Kyoukai pulls no strings when asking your empathy towards it’s tragic villains. They are more like victims of circumstance than outright evil and chapter 3 pushes that envelope even further. You are introduced to Fujino in the opening minutes and from there, right from the start, do you feel for her plight. See, to bring you guys up to date as this is interesting to know, Fujino also comes from a family belonging to the Demon Hunter Organization and she, just like Shiki, also has a unique psychic ability. In the TYPE-MOON universe there are 4 families in this organization, the Nanaya, Fujyou, Ryougi and Asagami. Nanaya would be the Shiki from Tsukihime, not related to Kara no Kyoukai, but the other 3 are. Kirie we’ve seen in chapter 1. Fujino was born with a telekinetic ability to twist and bend any object she lays her eyes upon but she never knew it. From childhood her stepfather had her medicated to suppress her ability in order to lead a normal life but as a side-effect of this medication she grew immune to pain. Fujino knows not how to express pain, scream or cry and as a result of this she was singled out as a weekly plaything by a group of boys. In the opener, we see this playing out, Fujino being gang-raped and beaten. During this incident she naturally awakened to her power, killing the culprits in true Elfen Lied fashion. All except one, one who got away… This happening sparked her distorted sense of pain. She was unknowingly smiling when she killed someone yet, also, mentally hurt, a new, strange experience for her. In character relation Fujino would be a Yandere whilst Shiki would be a Tsundere. She’s lovable, kind, well mannered and soft-spoken but she hides a dark secret, a secret she would now have to cover up, murder. An investigation is called by Tohko and as you can guess Fujino’s fated to cross paths with Shiki because of her actions. And so begins chapter 3, Remaining Sense Of Pain. What’s to follow I’ll leave for your to see though. Note the timeline however. Chapter 3 comes after chapter 2, but occurs just before the opening chapter 1.

Personally I loved this. It was both provoking and pleasing, especially the ending. God I almost cried when I heard Fujino saying “Itai” in her fight against Shiki, a word meaning both “it hurts” and “I want to live” depending on context. Seeing what she went through however I’m pretty damn sure, in her case, it meant both. With each release we get to see a bit more of Shiki’s true emotion too and this one was no exception either. We saw more of Tohko too and even got another glimpse of Azaka, our little fire-starter. Fujino’s her best friend, but more on her later… Slowly but surely questions are being answered but even so more questions are being raised. Like I pointed out in an earlier post each chapter is supported by a stand-alone theme, though a series of 7 in whole. I have no idea what’s to come but I do know we’ve been given clues right from chapter 1 already. I told you guys to pay attention to Kirie’s discussion with Tohko right? Let’s see what we have so far – (1) A series of suicides in chapter one. (2) A series of murders in chapter 2 with, basically, all evidence pointing to Shiki. (3) Another series of murders and, like with chapter 1, attributed to paranormal interference. So, a bunch of unique people are drawn together by a series of events caused by outside interference? Who’s the puppeteer? Well, time will tell I guess. I’ll leave you with a pointer stating that, from the novel, Tohko has the most dialogue. She will be the one answering your questions so no, that boring 5 minute long conversation is not the time to take a bathroom break or go make coffee whilst the movies running. I still see people saying chapter 1 made no sense… This is aimed at a mature audience guys. There’s no quick fix for you to find here so if this is not your thing then by all means, please move along.

In closing I’ll note that this will be the last update until November, the expected release of chapter 4, The Hollowness. So by the time you see that, you’d most probably have forgotten the minor spoilers you’ve read here today and if your playing the waiting game awaiting completion, your guaranteed to have done so because we wont be seeing chapter 5 until February 2009. Chapters 6 and 7 is still in the works due to screen early 2009 with the street releases to follow 6 months thereafter. The end might thus come this time, if not later, next year. So ‘till then…

Chapter 4, The Hollowness (Preview):
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Any idea when this show will be completed?
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Estimated guess? Mid 2009, earliest. Chapter 6 and 7's still in production and what we've now seen, already started in 2006. They said they'll be reprinting the novel now that the movies showing and also license it for US distro but now there's not been any more news yet, and time aint standing still.

Chaper 4 runs 90 minutes and chapter 5 110 minutes. Chaper 3 was 56 minutes so atm the first 3 chapters clocks in just under 3 hours if you need to kill some time. Chapter 5 onwards become very serious wrt the overall plot.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

It seems this quote is very true
Good things comes to those who wait
I would really like to buy it on DVD(or better yet blu-ray) when it comes out.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Lol come on Nuke, take the bait man. There not enough TM fans on this board.

Asagami's the most powerful character in the NASUVERSE... tsk tsk

She shows ( . Y . )... tsk tsk tsk

/ Ah well, I admire your patience mate. Thing with me though, I'll probably end up forgetting about it if I leave it so long again.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Don't tempt me man :P

Those guys from TM is geniuses IMO. All their stories is so deep and complex and the way the visual novels are written totally draw you in. The Fate route ending and the Tsukihime Hisui True ending was the 2 sadest story endings in anime history IMO. Not because of what happen, but because the way its written. Fate end the same way as in the anime.

I have high expectations of this movie series.
larch

Post by larch »

Nuke wrote:It seems this quote is very true
Good things comes to those who wait
I would really like to buy it on DVD(or better yet blu-ray) when it comes out.
Good luck waiting for it on Blu-Ray :D
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

That's true. Just to note ufotable optimized this series for cinema. Now when I say that I mean the source resolution and the works. They gave this reason for the initial DVD delays. This is TM's biggest animated project to date. I doubt they'll release this in BR too. Besides the limited editions cost 7800 yen compared to the limited Evangelion which comes with a one of a kind filmstrip set at 4600 yen. Japanese DVD's are expensive and Kara no Kyoukai has quite a hefty pricetag already.

Our best bet would be US distro. In which case any one in his right mind would await the series' end. So, most likely, if it gets licensed, we'll only be seeing the distro's by 2011.
larch

Post by larch »

Not only that but licensing companies are having a real hard time (financially) and printing to blu-ray is just to expensive look where ( . ) got ADV
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Chapter 3's now a proud member of AniDB's top 10 and Mamiko Noto's receiving high praise as the voice actor for Fujino Asagami. 8) As it was only screened in a few cinemas a lot of Japanese folk only got to see it now too so Google's still spitting out bits and pieces atm but in a week or two expect this to be the talk of the day on most anime boards. Turn up your volume when you watch this, Fujino's scream in her last stand against Shiki's **** epic.

Oh and look closely at the file Touko throws at Shiki. One of the photo's the actual poster for chapter 3.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Hmm, at the first look of the series I didnt think much and kinda just skipped through a bit of the info, then yesterday or so I took another look at the thread and the pics from the 3rd movie got my attention, but I wont watch it till I have all of the movies :?

So im in for a long wait *sigh*
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Guys, this is not an anime series. This is not a Bleach, Naruto or a Soul Eater leaving you in the middle of a fight each week. Think of Kara no Kyoukai as a box, within a box, within a box, within a box, within a box. Each and every movie has a stand-alone theme, but is part of a whole. Each movie thus, has a beginning and it has an end, there is no continuation. There's not much to gain by waiting, time does not stand still. This time next year there will be something better already, and I'll be watching that then when you guys will still be stuck on this lol. You guys waited for the final installment of The Matrix before going to see it? You guys waited for the final installment of The Lord Of The Rings before going to see it? Hey no offence I just don't get it so I'll say again, don't treat this like a running TV show, because a TV show it is not.

And, don't judge a book by it's cover. :wink: I avoid capping the best scenes else I'll give away too much.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Rayne wrote:Guys, this is not an anime series. This is not a Bleach, Naruto or a Soul Eater leaving you in the middle of a fight each week. Think of Kara no Kyoukai as a box, within a box, within a box, within a box, within a box. Each and every movie has a stand-alone theme, but is part of a whole. Each movie thus, has a beginning and it has an end, there is no continuation. There's not much to gain by waiting, time does not stand still. This time next year there will be something better already, and I'll be watching that then when you guys will still be stuck on this lol. You guys waited for the final installment of The Matrix before going to see it? You guys waited for the final installment of The Lord Of The Rings before going to see it? Hey no offence I just don't get it so I'll say again, don't treat this like a running TV show, because a TV show it is not.

And, don't judge a book by it's cover. :wink: I avoid capping the best scenes else I'll give away too much.
Err, well...you see...kinda... :lol:

HmmZ, ok...well, the part which will make me want to wait for all of them to be released is the part about it all being part of a whole...

I tend to kinda forget what happens in most things which I watch rather soon after im done watching it :D :?

But I think i get what your saying...
It would be like a TV series such as..umm..lets say The Big Bang Theory...each episode has a beginning and an end and they are kinda all part of a whole... :P
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.