Original Anime Dvd List

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

most definitely Ahzure...

I purchase my Chrono Crusade from ebay, and although it was the original covering which was in Japanese, the dual audio and the sealed facts were more than enough to make me buy it...

it cost me about half if not less than what it would have been here... I do however feel we should now and then support our local anime stores, as I have had good service from them and it helps our anime grow...
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

I would like noting more than to agree with you but three things prevents me.
1. The lack of reputable retailers – a few years ago I bought a anime series ( a boxset ) from a local retailer, the DVDs had English and Chinese subtitles on screen at the same time, no English language track and DVDs were labeled Region 0. Today it’s a different story the store now sells legit DVDs but due to my previsions experience I refuse to support them, I don’t wish to throw my money into the water.
2. Very few of the anime DVDs sold in this country carry the FPB (Film Publications Board) label or a Proudly South African sticker on it. I guess that means their all imported. The local retailer still has to add their price to the imported DVDs so at the end of the day one ends up paying lot more for anime purchased locally.
3. On a local forum someone asked for help concerning anime. he said:” I have a R1000 what boxset can I buy?” I was shocked to find that there were people who were able to help him spend a R1000 on A boxset. Now I don’t know about you but spending a R1000 on A Single boxset is CRAZY. With that kind of money I could buy a lot of thinpaks or boxsets from overseas
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

Another dvd that I received as a gift was Yu – Gi – Oh: The Shadow Games Vol 1 (The Original Uncut Edition)
It was a cool gift since I am a Yu – Gi – Oh fan, for some reason though I like TV version’s dub it just feels like the English Voice actors had more fun in the edited version because in uncut version the actors just seem to be reading their lines they rarely put any feeling or emotion in it like they did in the edited version.
larch

Post by larch »

Eureka 7 (Upto Volume 11)

Hellsing Ultimate (Upto Volume 3)

Black Lagoon (Complete Season 1)

KARAS (Complete Volume 1 and 2)

Robotech Shadow Chronicels

Ikketousen (Boxset)
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

Whoa !!
It’s quite a collection but I’m guessing that not all you have. Four years ago I would’ve not been able to tell which company holds the rights to of any of these titles but in my search for affordable anime I was forced learn their names.
Eureka 7 – that is a Bandai title

Hellsing Ultimate - (Geneon)
Black Lagoon - (Geneon)
KARAS - (Manga Entertainment)
Robotech Shadow Chronicels - (Funimation )
Ikketousen - (Geneon)
If one looks closely one’s able to make out the following titles next to the Robotech Shadow Chronicels DVD
Macross Plus - (Manga Entertainment)
R.O.D Read or Die - (Manga Entertainment)
Spriggan - (ADV Films)
Well, well, well I never would’ve guessed you were a “closet ADV fan."
Seriously though trying navigating the menus on this DVD was hell for me, the colors used for the layout was made it impossible to see a damn thing.
Still trying to make out the other items though.

Sorry I’m only kidding about the ADV comment.
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

Nuke wrote:
Sorry but has anyone purchased anything new in recent months.
Yup, not in the past 6 months though, but will buy again.

Noir Boxset (7 dvds)
Elfen Lied Boxset (4 dvds)
Madlax 1-7
Appleseed
Hack sign 1
FMP fumoffu 1-3
Eva: death and rebirth
Eva: End of Eva
Kite
FMA 1
Chrono Crusade 1
Blood the last Vampire
Mai-Hime 1-3
Serial Experiments Lain Boxset
TSukihime Boxset + extra nr3 dvd.
Final Fantasy AC
Samurai 7 vol1
Fate Stay Night 1
Bleach 1-2
Ghost in the Shell
Quite impressive, I’d hazard a guess and say that it’s probably over R5000 worth of anime you have there. You have a couple of titles that I’d like to get my hands on (Noir, Madlax, Appleseed, FMP fumoffu, FMA, Chrono Crusade,Mai-Hime, Fate Stay Night) I do admire you’re confidence in taking on a series like Bleach, knowing that it is such a long running series and that by collecting all the volumes it will hit you in the pocket/wallet.

Nuke, you’re my hero and hopefully one day I’ll be able to take on such a long running series
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

I can’t imagine what it must be like to walk into a store that specializes in anime (and no the little anime shelf at Look &and Listen or Musica doesn’t count); I guess that’s why I envy those of you who are able to walk into one of Animeworx stores and take your pick from a huge selection.
When buying anime overseas (it so much cheaper than buying locally sometimes) you first have to find a reputable retailer; that sells original DVDs; who’s prices are affordable and what their shipping policies are. Many retailers offer overnight shipping which is expensive and with most of them a cd or a DVD count as an item which means if you’ve bought a boxset that contains six DVDs you’ll have pay to have six DVDs shipped over.
We’re a small group (6 girls and 2 guys) that pool our resources when it comes to buying anime and as luck would have it our overseas retailer charges you $15 for your first item whether it’s a DVD; CD soundtrack ; graphic novel; manga; or a boxset but for ever item after that (and this is the best part ) you pay $3 so it does not matter if any of following items are CD soundtracks, DVDs; Graphic Novels; … Boxsets you still pay $3 per item.
Brilliant, though you have to remember that your DVD player must be able play Region 1 DVDs
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

Here’s my collection I know it’s very small so Please don’t laugh.

Boxsets
Banner of the Stars Complete Collection (3 DVDs)
Berserk Box of War (6 DVDs)
Crest of the Stars Complete Collection (4 DVDs)
Elfen Lied (4 DVDs )

Single Volumes
Brain Powered vol1 (2 DVDs)
Brain Powered vol2 (2 DVDs)
Brain Powered vol3 (2 DVDs)
Chobits vol1 (don’t when I’ll buy the rest)
Hellsing vol1
Hellsing vol2
His and Her Circumstances vol1
His and Her Circumstances vol2
His and Her Circumstances vol3
His and Her Circumstances vol4
His and Her Circumstances vol5
Kiddy Grade vol1
Martian Successor Nadesico the motion picture: Prince of Darkness
Please Teacher vol1
Please Teacher vol2
Please Teacher vol3
Please Teacher vol4
larch

Post by larch »

LOL! its bigger than mine :P
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

larch wrote:LOL! its bigger than mine :P
Your collection boast collectors, special and limited edition sets where as mine is basically just the normal/ basic editions with the exception of Berserk off course.
Anyway I’ve seen pictures of you’re figurine collection and I’m green with envy!!
Rules that an Evil Overlord must live by!

45. I will make sure I have a clear understanding of who is responsible for what in my organization. For example, if my general screws up I will not draw my weapon, point it at him, say "And here is the price for failure," then suddenly turn and kill some random underling.
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

WOW, bigger than larch's? damn now that is a feet in it's own :D

well I plan to get me Scryed, Trigun and Gundam SEED and Destiny soon... just handling payments for UK prepping...
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

At the moment you can get Gundam SEED DVD Collection 1 (Hyb) - Anime Legends and Gundam SEED DVD Collection 2 (Hyb) - Anime Legends for R450 and the entire Scryed (Anime Legends) collection for R540 from a certain on line retailer.

My friend says our next shipment of anime is due to arrive any day now, I can’t wait.

45. I will make sure I have a clear understanding of who is responsible for what in my organization. For example, if my general screws up I will not draw my weapon, point it at him, say "And here is the price for failure," then suddenly turn and kill some random underling.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

larch where did you get your Ikkitousen boxset from?

And Ahzure do you import yours? From?
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

what is the Anime Legends version again?
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

Basically what happens is that companies usually release a series in the single volume format then in boxset and as of 3 years ago they started re- releasing boxsets in cheaper packing thus making these boxsets much cheaper.
Bandai calls its line of repackaged boxsets Anime Legends , ADV - Thinpaks, Media Blasters - Economy Sets, and Funimation - The Viridian Collection ( is made of recycled material)
They can contain the same amount of extras as the earlier editions with exception of some of ADV’s thinpaks.
Let me give you an example of how cheap they are. The Cowboy Bebop Remix Edition consist of six volumes @ R180 a volume you’d pay R1080 for six volumes , the Anime Legends Boxsets would set you back R375.

Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

though in some cases, well me at least, would also like to buy the anime for the awesome looking box it comes in...

/me needs to get me a Elfen box :(
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

I usually buy boxsets when I buy a series. I don't want to have trouble
of finding the one missing volume. I usually end up once a month in the
AWX store in Centurion to look for something to buy.

My collection of original DVD movies:
Appleseed
Armitage the Third (Both movies
Cowboy Bebop
Final Fantasy (Advent Children and Spirits Within)
Ghost In The Shell (All 3 movies)
Howl's Moving Castle
Martian Successor Nadesico: The Prince Of Darkness
Origin: Spirits of the Past
RahXephon
The Cat Returns
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

And my Series:
.Hack//Sign
Blue Seed
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost In The Shell (Both series)
Great Teacher Onizuke
Martian Successor Nadesico
Ninja Scroll - The Series
RahXephon
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

Rayne wrote:larch where did you get your Ikkitousen boxset from?

And Ahzure do you import yours? From?
1. Ikki tousen
I hope that helps.

2. My friends and I tend to use a whole host of different retailers based in Canada or the States mainly because the Dollar is much weaker that the Pound. A few years ago I bought the following items:
Boxsets
Banner of the Stars Complete Collection (3 DVDs)
Crest of the Stars Complete Collection (4 DVDs)

Single Volumes
Brain Powered vol1 (2 DVDs)
Brain Powered vol2 (2 DVDs)
Brain Powered vol3 (2 DVDs)
Please Teacher vol1
Please Teacher vol2
Please Teacher vol3
Please Teacher vol4
All for R720, that was quite a bargain.

I’ve been kind of depressed lately because a major shipment of anime, set to ship out later this year has been canceled. This would’ve been the uber shipment consisting of more than 20 boxsets and they all belonged to me. What’s even worse right now is the fact Rand is weakening against the US Dollar.

Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

don't even talk about exchange rates... my heart just glooms when I see that evil R-Pound rate :(

well I bought my original Chrno Crusade from ebay and it was dirt cheap... it was however not the boxed version that you get ins the US, but an even earlier version...

though it was still dual audio and I wasn't even bothered by the fact that some of the cover is in Japanese...
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

Take2.co.za is having a sale at the moment; you can get a couple of boxsets for half price, better hurry though stock seems to be limited. Here’s the link Anime DVD Sale

Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

endev8003 wrote:I usually buy boxsets when I buy a series. I don't want to have trouble
of finding the one missing volume. I usually end up once a month in the
AWX store in Centurion to look for something to buy.

My collection of original DVD movies:
Appleseed
Armitage the Third (Both movies
Cowboy Bebop
Final Fantasy (Advent Children and Spirits Within)
Ghost In The Shell (All 3 movies)
Howl's Moving Castle
Martian Successor Nadesico: The Prince Of Darkness
Origin: Spirits of the Past
RahXephon
The Cat Returns
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

And my Series:
.Hack//Sign
Blue Seed
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost In The Shell (Both series)
Great Teacher Onizuke
Martian Successor Nadesico
Ninja Scroll - The Series
RahXephon
I’ve never seen Blue Seed; Great Teacher Onizuke or RahXephon although I’ve heard great things about them. Originally I had the Martian Successor Nadesico series but I gave it away when I heard that ADV was bringing out a special edition loaded with extras such audio commentary by the English cast. I just never got around to buying it

Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

I hope the DVDs I ordered arrive soon.

endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

Ahzure wrote:I hope the DVDs I ordered arrive soon.
I'm still waiting for the second Appleseed movie. :evil:
Ordered date is 9th April. Expected date is 30th April. 10-15 days my ***
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

You know what’s scaring me these days, its fact that anime industry is slowly but surely moving from DVD to Blue ray. Soon my collection will be all but obsolete.

endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

I doubt DVD's and players will become obsolete in a short time. It will take a while before it is completely phased out (if ever).

But you probably have to get a blu-ray player in the near future, when the prices becomes more affordable.

And it looks like the current blu-ray drives can read DVD's, so it shouldn't be much of a problem. That's what's nice about the new disc formats. It's easier for backwards compatibility, since the discs are the same size and use similar technology.