Neon Genesis Evangelion (Spoilers)

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
FluffKing

Post by FluffKing »

3 more to go

From what I've read -the first movie is near indentical to the first 6 series episodes, just modernised and with cgi (except for a strange ending set on the moon :P ), but the trailers for #2 shows a whole bunch of different/new scenes and characters.

Hey Larch, where did you get all that Eureka Seven stuff?
PM for details
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

There is one new charatcer and her name has been revealed by announcing her upcoming debut in the recent game.

Yes, this was never intended to be anything new. It is just a modern retelling.

Each OVA's basically a whole lot of episodes cramped into one short film. For old fans it's nothing new, in fact I personally thought the Angels popping up one after the other in such a short time-frame was a complete let-down. There aren't all that many new footage in 1.01 thusfar and in short a massive amount of original scenes were cut.

It's still Eva I guess, albeit simplified.

The first promises some fan-service in the second as a close. Fck me if that's gonna be Kuwaro.
FluffKing

Post by FluffKing »

What do you mean by fan-service? Like Asuka stepping out the shower naked, or something more hardcore?

If it is Kuwaro I'm not going to even touch you :P
PM for details
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

That's what I'm saying, it had better not be but judging from 1.01's closer the posibility exists.

And no I don't see Eva ever showing anything more than breasts. Anything more than that would feel out of place. Too much ecchi does not belong in Evangelion.
FluffKing

Post by FluffKing »

You do remember Shinji did-

SPOILER WARNING!

-masturbate while looking at Asuka naked AND again just after he had tried to strangle her on the beach at the end. Before you say WTF? Read...

After seeing that ending and having her say 'I feel ill' or 'You make me sick' or whatever, I was always asking my self what Asuka was looking at right before the end.

Because after Shinji stops, her eyes look right down (Shinjis face is above where she looks) and then she gives the line -then after how many years, I see it again and realized where his hands had gone and the sound he was making and I was like 'F***ING HELL - *******!'.

End of Evangelion is such an abuse of such popular characters it's criminal!
PM for details
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

He did no such thing.

He did it only once and that was in her hospital room.
FluffKing

Post by FluffKing »

Rayne wrote:He did no such thing.

He did it only once and that was in her hospital room.
Are you suuuure? Watch it carefully
PM for details
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Rayne wrote:There are countless confusing scenes throughout the series, hence we will need to know the specific part you guys (myself included) did not gasp.

So jamin, give an example of what you can remember, like from The End Of Evangelion, and we'll take it from there.

For example, I did not understand why the hell Shinji strangled Asuka at The End Of Evangelion, until a little browsing explained this (flashback) -

This is a part of the process of Complementation. There are several indications of this.

First of all, the scene itself is very surreal and does not feel right as a memory. It does not logically fit in the Evangelion timeline (it would probably have occurred somewhere between episodes 23 and 24). Shinji is not nearly desperate enough during this time to strangle Asuka, and I seriously doubt Asuka would stand there idely and be suffocated. Further, the cut of the spilled coffee pot is inserted into the Director's Cut of episode 24 (before the episode begins) but is used in a completely different context (Asuka's realization to Kaji is not coming back).

In the scene Asuka says, "You're afraid of Misato and the First... " which mirrors exactly what Shinji said in The End of Evangelion: Air, "I... I'm scared of both Misato and Ayanami..." before he masturbates to her comatose body. All signs point to this sequence being an expression of Shinji's frustration with Asuka, and also his feelings of guilt for what he did. Moments earlier Asuka's (or perhaps more specifically, the Asuka in Shinji's mind) confronts Shinji saying, "Idiot! I 'know' about your jerk-off fantasies of me. Do it again like usual... I'll even stand here and watch."

At the very end, he did it again (for real) -

Shinji awakes up on a desolate beach. Asuka - her arm and eye bandaged in a manner similar to Rei's - lies motionless next to him. Shinji, at the culmination of his love, hate, stress, frustration, etc. - begins to strangle her, only to stop when he feels the caress of her hand across his face. He breaks down, sobbing on top of her.

"Shinji renounced the world where all hearts had melted into one and accepted each other unconditionally. His desire... to live
with 'others' -- other hearts that would sometimes reject him, even deny him. That is why the first thing he did after coming to
his senses was to place his hands around Asuka's neck. To feel the existence of an 'other'. To confirm (make sure of) rejection
and denial."

Thus, in short, Shinji had a nervous breakdown earlier already, the fate of the world were layd in his hands. It was his way of confirming reality, as he has just chosen harsh, cruel reality above fake happiness. He realized he would still be alone, because even he wouldn't be there.
Her exact words were "How pathetic". Because he was crying.

Yes, I am sure.
FluffKing

Post by FluffKing »

Firstly, that explanstion is FAR too in-depth (Never, seen 'How pathetic' from anywhere before, is that from a different fan-sub ) The official english is 'How Disgusting' (I guess that can go with How Pathetic) but my old Fan-sub is 'I feel Sick'

So I pulled out the DVD and went frame searching AND....um....*cough*

Well, he IS coping a feel if that counts XD

He was making rather weird sounds while hunched over, so I guess that's what I remember ( and his right arm is still unaccounted for :P )
PM for details
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

That shows nothing of the sort. It is in fact the only position relevant should you attempt to strangle somebody laying flat on their back. That's merely showing a boy crying on top of a girl.

Hence I'll say again, he did not.

Read the Wiki and the FAQ
FluffKing

Post by FluffKing »

Did you read my post at all, I conceeded the point already
So I pulled out the DVD and went frame searching AND....um....*cough* <---(Meant to be a joke showing I got caught out)

Well, he IS coping a feel if that counts XD <--(If you didn't see this as a joke, you're too serious)

He was making rather weird sounds while hunched over, so I guess that's what I remember ( and his right arm is still unaccounted for :P ) <--Joke (the statement in brackets is a joke because it's obvious he isn't doing that, because he's lying on top of her)
If this total failure of a statement, by me, of a hidden event that never happened has proved anything, it's that 'How Pathetic' isn't the final line :D
PM for details
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Well you went and got your DVD to aid your view bru. Don't make this an argument now. Your saying yes and I'm saying no. Nothing wrong with it, simple as that.

Believe what you wan't to believe but in situations like this please do at least a little bit of homework on the subject. Don't take offence if somebody tells you to go read a few links, it was not my intention. It's for your own better understanding and to gasp a bit of Evangelion as a whole, you are in fact required to.
FluffKing

Post by FluffKing »

Relax, I'm not taking offence, I'm actually getting the impression you saw the image in the post, but didn't read what I wrote.

I got the DVD out and found I was wrong, so actually that whole post (with DVD image) says you were correct -THEN you posted the link. :?

Really, I'm confused, becuase I'm saying 'oops, okay, you're right -that didn't happen' and yet you're posting defensive posts saying I'm taking offence... (failure to communicate?) :(

ANYWAY

When I'm wrong I can see I'm wrong, but remember there's still people out there who swear-blind Asuka died at the end :P
PM for details
larch

Post by larch »

FluffKing wrote:You do remember Shinji did-

SPOILER WARNING!

-masturbate while looking at Asuka naked AND again just after he had tried to strangle her on the beach at the end. Before you say WTF? Read...

After seeing that ending and having her say 'I feel ill' or 'You make me sick' or whatever, I was always asking my self what Asuka was looking at right before the end.

Because after Shinji stops, her eyes look right down (Shinjis face is above where she looks) and then she gives the line -then after how many years, I see it again and realized where his hands had gone and the sound he was making and I was like 'F***ING HELL - *******!'.

End of Evangelion is such an abuse of such popular characters it's criminal!
Seriously dude where did you come up with this ***** and what type of low budget fongkong DVD did you use to get that screenshot. This screenshot is taken directly from my Neon Genesis Evangelion - End of Evangelion (Directors Cut) DVD.

When Shinji notices that Asuka is lying beside him, he begins to strangle her, only to stop when she reaches up and caresses his face, the same gesture that Yui gave to him in their final talk. He breaks down, sobbing on top of her. The film concludes as Asuka's eye focuses on Shinji and she speaks the ambiguous phrase "kimochi warui".

Take note of what the subtitle says:
"How Disgusting"
His first impulse is to strangle her, to finish what he started during Instrumentality, but once he feels her caress (which is very similar to the one he received from his mother only moments before), he realizes what he's doing. He releases his grip and collapses as an emotionally broken little boy, which disgusts Asuka.
i_r_baboon

Post by i_r_baboon »

I loved this anime! I watched the english episodes, it wasn't some cheaply dubbed thing either it was professionally done the mouths matched the words and it was just complete as if it was meant to be in english
FluffKing

Post by FluffKing »

@Larch -Actually, I have the same one, I don't no why it comes out so blurry on my PC (Played on Media Centre)

And as for where I came up with that, s**t, I have no idea I guess I took the How disgusting out of context

I've already said too many times in the last page that I was wrong -so if you guys can't accept you're right and I'm wrong, I can't do much about it XD

So lets please leave that for the "History of James' Weird Mistakes" before I have to go back and edit it. :D

@I R Baboon: I actually had a problem with Shinjis' voice as a whole and Rei's voice in the last weird flashback, in one of the last two episodes, took of a strange 'goofy' tone. (Edit -that's english voices)
PM for details
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Ah I see now, I spoke way past you, my apologies. I still wanted to stress the scene by refering you to extra reading material but I didn't quite worded that right now did I. Sorry.

In this Rebuild though, lots of people should understand many things a whole lot better, especially character interaction. For example, Shinji is now clearly shown grinning when Mitsato grabs him by the arm and scolds him after running away.

As long as you keep in mind that all three pilots are mentally messed up pretty good, you'll follow most of Evangelion.
FluffKing

Post by FluffKing »

No Problem -I just to check my 'realizations' before posting at midnight, half-alseep, to avoid making balls-ups like this in future.
For example, Shinji is now clearly shown grinning when Mitsato grabs him by the arm and scolds him after running away.
Wow, I don't remember him smiling (though I guess he would as he craves attention...right?) and sadly I only have the Death & Rebirth moive recap of the series so I can't rewatch that scene.

Right now, I'm more concerned why my DVD looks so krap, if looks great on the TV -maybe I need a better DVD player
PM for details
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Partially, yes. To the naked eye Shinji appears to be nothing more than a wimp whilst in reality he suffers from Avoidant Personality Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder and an Oedipus Complex. These are showcased through his deeds and interaction with other characters.

In easier terms lets just say that Rei doubts her existence, Asuka doubts others and Shinji doubts himself. All three these characters, although showing it in diffirent ways, suffer depression.

In one discussion between Shinji and Mitsato she tells him the reasons for his actions - that hurting others around him's the best means of hurting himself.

EDIT : It's goes a little deeper than Shinji just seeking attention. Let me put it this way -

Say, lets use a circus elephant as an example. These enormous creatures with strength to overpower a hundred men do not attempt to do so. A full grown elephant in all his might can easily pull the pole from the ground it's shackled to, yet it does not. From infancy that elephant has been shackled to that pole and from infancy it tried to break free, but could not, it lacked the strength then. Try as it might, that small elephant could not pull that pole from the ground, even after many years of trying, it could not. Eventually, that animal's spirit will be broken, and it will stop trying. By the time it reaches adulthood, that pole represents something that animal cannot overcome, and even though it now has the power to break free, it no longer tries.

Now think of Shinji in same sense. By being rejected so many times, Shinji stopped reaching out to people. In his mind, instead of waiting for eventual disappointment, he thought it better to be the one to reject them first. Shinji' s way past the attention-seeking stage. To him the outcome of his actions will be the same.

That said we can fast forward a bit. As the show progressed Shinji learned to open up to those around him. So much so that he grew to fall in love and make two friends. Yet, due to unforseen circumstances, he himself had to kill those friends and see die the girls he longed for. That's extreme. The fact that he was still sane by the time of Complementation was a miracle in itself. Emotionally Shinji went through a lot, enormous stress was placed on but a 14 year old boy. People should keep these things in mind before judging his character.

Make no mistake, I really disliked him too. Look a little deeper into his character however, and his actions starts making a lot more sense.
GrimStoner

Post by GrimStoner »

Can't read japanese... but is that pieces of the original film on auction?
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Yes, the original filmstrip of Evangelion 1.01 : You Are [Not] Alone was bundled in the limited Special Edition sets on sale in Japan. All 300 000 sets produced has been sold out. Each set contained a 5 unique filmstrip cut. Because there exist no other in production anywhere in the world fans are hard at work auctioning theirs or trading for their favorite characters. Someone hoping for a Rei who ended up with a Shinji won't be to pleased I imagine.

Thusfar a cut showcasing a smiling Rei (The scene where Shinji forced open her entry-plug to find her severely injured after sacrificing her Eva for Unit 1. That was the first time Rei smiled for anyone except Gendo.) racked in the highest bid at 209,000 Yen (2000 USD).

Evangelion Cafe's has also re-opened in Japan following the films release.

Rei and Asuka softdrinks.

It is clear everybody is milking the franchise and by looking at the calender for the rest of 2008 it is clear Evangelion already pulled miles ahead of competition.

Threre will be 4 rebuilds each released in normal edition, special edition and BlueRay set. 1.01 sold out within a week. Further prints are unknown but one thing's for sure, at the end of this remake GAINAX will surely be smiling. A company close to bankruptcy during Eva's original release back in 1995 are now milking millions doing the exact same in our modern 2008. Funny how the world turns.

Don't get excited though, there's no mention of any US license yet and even when there are at some point in future, we should most definately not expect the same bonus content.

Link - http://www.alafista.com
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

I came across this article in another forum. It's posted long beofre I myself saw Evangelion but keeping in mind all I've seen after, this one's a very good summary.

Since Evangelion's in the spotlight once again in light of the current and upcoming rebuilds I suggest those of you following it read that, it's not too long. For old fans it's a good reminder and for new followers it will give you a very good understanding of what Evangelion is all about.
neosephiroth
Permanently Banned

Post by neosephiroth »

AGH DAM can any1pls help me find a english srt to my eva end...its all together as one long movie..
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

neosephiroth wrote:AGH DAM can any1pls help me find a english srt to my eva end...its all together as one long movie..
HmmZ...
Your end of evangelion is all one single big long file?
Well, depending on the source and if it was re-encoded and the frame rate and if it was shortend.etc the subs will vary and be out of synch...
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.