Neon Genesis Evangelion (Spoilers)

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
HuNtingGoof

Post by HuNtingGoof »

I want everything explained -- BIRTH, DEATH, END..

It's just soooo confusing and complicated..
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

That kiss meant a lot more to her than you think. It was her fist.

Death & Rebirth and The End Of Evangelion is not on the drive.

I have seen Evangelion FAQ's explain why Shinji did so. I'll just go with that.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

It was Shinji's first too, right?
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Yes.

Shinji was in love with Asuka.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

I thought it was Rei? Or maybe my perceptions were skew when I was watching NGE. (lame excuse for bleak cognisance)
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Shinji saw Rei as a mother figure.

She reminded him of Yui.

Simply because, technically speaking, she was.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Fuji/308 ... ions2.html

Im researching eva instead of work :lol:
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Btw aren't Lilith / Rei the most beautiful Angel you oke's have seen? Her wings were incredible.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Yes they are but lilith gives me the willies.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

UPDATE: The issue, although not out yet, has surfaced on the internet with full page scans, albeit in japanese of course. Whilst no live action movie scoop, the news is still very big and concerns a "rebuilding" of Evangelion in the form of 4 new movies, the first due out next Summer (in Japan). A large amount of new material is expected in this project entitled "Evangelion Shin Gekijou Ban". Check out our forum thread for all the details: Newtype Scans Discussion

Just a quick note to say that the next Newtype issue will contain a big scoop concerning Evangelion (or so is advertised in Japan's September issue), whether this pertains to the live action movie is unsure. However given that a big announcement is due it is quite possible we may hear some substantial and important news concerning the movie within the next month. Let's cross our fingers.

Some speculation as to what else it could be includes a possible new Hideaki Anno project as rumored at ANN.

For further rumors and discussion concerning the "scoop" Eva Monkey makes some good points with particular reference to the possibility of new Evangelion anime.

Thanks chronodeity.
http://eva.trivialbeing.net
New Evangelion Anime? (UPDATE)
Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The rumour mill is starting to heat up. Apparently a few months ago, a rumor that 4 new Eva movies were being made popped up. Three were to be re-edits of the series, and the fourth was to be new animation. The other day, Hideaki Anno posted a call for animators to work on a new feature at a studio named Khara. Incidentally, that same studio was just added to the copyright for Evangelion on Gainax's official website. From this, it can be suggested that Anno is making new Evangelion anime. In similar news, NewType is making claims that a big Evangelion scoop is coming up in the September issue.

Tantalizing is it not? The possibility that Hideaki Anno might be making more Evangelion?

Read s'more if you like.

http://www.gainax.co.jp/hills/anno/jobmain.html

Neon Genesis Evangelion animated into four movies?
There will be four movies, three movies with re-edited squences from TV series as well as some new sequences, the brand new fourth one. Just like the recent MS Gundam Z movies. The source for this information was kept secret, but there was a comment about a new project during the interview with Famitsu, could that be it?

http://forums.trivialbeing.net/index.php?showtopic=4157
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/moonphase/20060616/p6

On August 1, Evangelion director Hideaki Anno's official website was updated with job listings for key animators and production staff at a studio called Khara.

Meanwhile, Gainax's Evangelion site has added Khara to its copyright line. According to ANS, the Khara.co.jp domain is registered to Ikki Todoroki, with whom Anno performed in the 2005 film Naisu no mori.

ANS incorporates these items and two "rumors" to conclude an Evangelion film (or films) may be in the works. ANN cannot confirm the Evangelion connection.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=9318

September's Newtype Japan advertises an "extra large scoop" on Evangelion in the October issue. Whether it is related to Hideaki Anno's new project is unknown. The issue streets September 10.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=9320

8-7-06 (7:04AM EDT)---- New Evangelion Anime Movie(s) Coming?
One of the biggest rumors running this summer among Japanese fans online involves Studio GAINAX, presumably under the aegis of Director Hideaki Anno, re-editing and adding new animation footage to the original 1995 26 episode Evangelion TV series (ala Gundam Zeta) and releasing them as a series of new movies to Japanese theaters. So the story goes, as many as 4 movies could be produced and the 4th one may be entirely new material or may contain an entirely new ending to the Evangelion saga. A side rumor from a few months ago indicates a staff room for Evangelion was being created or renovated at GAINAX HQ. This questionable information started circulating prior to the below mentioned GAINAX search launched, looking for production and animation staff for a forthcoming Hideaki Anno directed animated film project codenamed "Color" (Khara). Those who meet the criteria are encouraged to email to joboffer(AT)khara.co.jp or call. What can be confirmed now as fact is Evangelion and project "Color" are connected and the proof can be found on GAINAX's official EVA website. At the bottom of the page, the copyright statement has added "color" (in katakana) to the Project Eva copyright information. Other twists include the following: A whois search for the domain khara.co.jp reveals it is registered to Khara Corporation. The name Todoroki Ikki is listed as registration and tech contact. It's worth noting Anno Hideaki appeared in the movies Taste of Tea and Naisu No Mori with Todoroki Ikki. Additionally, a search on GAINAX's company overview page shows the Director's name is no longer present. This is leading many to speculate "Color / Khara" could be a spinoff studio perhaps similar to Hideo Kojima's production label "Kojima Productions" or Hayao Miyazaki's private office "Ni Bariki".

http://www.animenewsservice.com/archives/augxx.htm
http://www.evamonkey.com/2006/08/new-ev ... update.php
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Well I didn't read the whole thing but it seems that speculation exists that 4 more eva movies will be released,3 being a recap and the last being completely fresh. Did I get that right?

If so, that's exciting news. Let's hope that a release date isn't too far off.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Ja it will be interesting to see how this playes out.

On another forum I saw some one mention that they might be doing this to help with the eventual life action movie. The complexity for a stand-alone movie is said to be too great a risk taken then whole series into account. By the sounds of things they aint so sure they can pull it off it seems.

GAINAX aint known to disclose much info though so as usal nothing has been confirmed yet.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

I agree with the live action movie skepticism.

10 pages of discussion here, plus 20 some odd episodes of mind boggling *whats the right word here?* would bear testimony of just how vast this aniem really is.
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

This anime is not as good as everyone says it is.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

*waits for Rayne to hit cyclic with a thunderbolt*

Personly I think you dont like it cause you don't see the brilliance in the story, how everything flows together in the end, etc. In Eva everything has a motivation and an effect.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

cYcLIc wrote:This anime is not as good as everyone says it is.
Ooooo, someone's a non-believer. 8O

Word of advice, Don't ever comment negatively on Elfen Lied. Rayne will throw a tantrum. ;-)
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

Lol.

I saw the "brilliance," read half the info on the net about it and I'm still not impressed. I think most of it is hype. I think the ending was a copout. It seemed good for a second then I realised how lame it was. The characters were boring. They all have troubled pasts. The final 3 episodes were overkill. I wish I didn't waste my time.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

cYcLIc wrote:Lol.

I saw the "brilliance," read half the info on the net about it and I'm still not impressed. I think most of it is hype. I think the ending was a copout. It seemed good for a second then I realised how lame it was. The characters were boring. They all have troubled pasts. The final 3 episodes were overkill. I wish I didn't waste my time.
I know what you are getting at. With the quality of the previous eps, the last 2(3) eps was just piss-poor.

But google a bit as to why it is so. Gainix went corrupt or suffered some finicial losses and couldnt do the last eps properly...I might be wrong, but that what i heard.

Anyway, my lift is here.

Peace
SoulBlade
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

Yeah, but even if they suffered financial problems, I can't judge them on what they could have done. Perhaps if they had the money it could have been even better, but as it is...

It's unfortunate for them that in this particular anime, the ending was very important.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

Wait a sec....did you watch the series ending or the End of Eva and Death and Rebirth?
jee

Post by jee »

http://www.evamonkey.com/

found this and bookmarked it cause i don't have time to look at it... perhaps one of you bored guys can check it out? :D :D
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

The characters seemed to bog me down, except Rei, which did so but in a provoking kind of a way. Masochistic?

The story was definitely thought provoking and I actually found the last two episodes a desperate attempt to inject the producer's theories into your head which would have otherwise spanned a lot more episodes. Electrifying, frustrating, intriguing and definitely memorable!
shinji-aoi

Post by shinji-aoi »

I'm done with my Evangelion study and can finally put my research to good use.

I found some interesting things on the net with regard to not only the expected movies but also the reasons behind NGE ending the way it did. And I have to say there is some freaky stuff that went on at Gainax.

It is confirmed that 4 Movies will be released. The first 3 will be an alternate retelling of the series (probably to make this a little easier to understand) and the last to show what happened after the events of the original series and movies. Big question marks here tho'.

The most interesting thing about NGE is the bucket loads of controversy that the series generated. And about the last episodes - funding for the project got cancelled and Hideki Anno only had enough money to complete 26 episodes (aparentely there would've been 34 episodes) - funding for the series was extremely difficult to obtain. The last episode would've included a live action sequence showing Shinji's choice in the real world (or something like that). The series was never to have been this intense on abstracts.

Yes the characters are boring - only because they are realistic. Remember to see them in context, not compared to other anime characters.

Go Alonso & Vettel! Forza Ferrari always!

Currently watching:
E's Otherwise

Ongoing/Running Series:
One Piece, Bleach, Naruto
novio

Post by novio »

I don't think anyone could have finished that series in a 100 episodes, much less 34 that was originally planned. The ending sucked. There was jusy too much of a gap. I mean the series is flowing along nicely, character introduction, development, plot..all flowing..and then.. BAM everyone dies, they all realize how worthless they are, the main chracter has an orgasm for some reason, and the world ends... no thank you, rather should have just not made the ending, instead of trying to compress it asll together...

Bring me Naruto or Bleach anyday...
Space modulatORRRR!!!!
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

In September 2006, the October edition of the Japanese anime magazine Newtype reported that the new cinema series "Rebuild of Evangelion" will be released in the summer 2007. On September 9, 2006, GAINAX's official website confirmed that "Rebuild of Evangelion" will consist of four movies. The first three movies will be an alternate retelling of the TV series (including many new scenes, settings, backgrounds, characters), and the fourth movie will be a completely new conclusion to the story. Hideaki Anno will write the scenario for the first movie and will be the general director and manager for the entire project. Kazuya Tsurumaki will direct the movies while Yoshiyuki Sadamoto will provide character designs and Ikuto ****** will provide mechanical designs. Shinji Higuchi will provide storyboards for the first movie. The first one will launch in Summer 2007, the second in January 2008, and the two final movies will be shown together in Summer 2008.

http://eva.trivialbeing.net/
In recent years, Hideaki Anno has been focusing more on live-action than anime, so his decision to make another Eva anime surprised many. Otsuki has a theory, though.

"Twelve years is enough time for you to be able to look back on earlier works obvjectively", he explains. "Shortly before we started this project, Anno had a big Eva marathon where he watched the whole series in one go.
The first thing he said when he finished watching was, 'This show really is interesting, isn't it? I never realized how interesting it was'. That comment really shook me."

The new project was started as an affirmation of the value of Anno's past work. "He and his team have gained a lot of experience since then," Otsuki adds. "They've matured as animators and as people. I think you'll be able to see that growth in this production.

Despite all the changes in everyone's lives, having the old staff together again made for a very nostalgic mood on the production site. "Everyone was completely burned out during the second half of the original TV run and the movies, but now they're fresh and enthustiastic again. They've gotten older, but they're still full of energy. It's almost like watching kids prepare for a holiday celibration. The staff will also include a bunch of younger twenty-somethings who decided to join the anime industry after watching Eva and being inspired.

This show has been loved by a lot of people over the years." Indeed it has. The new movies also reflect the staff's feelings about the state of the anime industry. It's even suggested that this project is a rejection of current anime production philosophy.

"It's true that Eva was a huge hit," Otsuki says. "But its success spawned a great deal of confusion and misunderstanding in the in the industry, the end result being a bunch of mass-produced junk. That mindset has persisted for ten years, but now we're in a position to prove it wrong. We're determined to close the door on the post-Eva era for good.

When the shocking news first broke, it sent anime fans around the world into a frenzy: Neon Genesis Evangelion, widely regarded as one of the best anime series ever made, was being adapted into four brand-new films! Who would've ever thought we'd see another Evangelion?

In the dozen or so years since its debut, the series spawned numerous video games and even saw a "renewal" reissue with touched-up art and new voiceovers, but until now there hasn't been a smallest whisper of a new series. What can we possibly expect?

"The new story takes place in the same period as the 1995 TV series, but the plot is completely different," producer Toshimichi Otsuki elaborates. "This isn't a remake or a quick fix. It's a totally new production."

Being a new production means GAINAX is taking a different approach than what SUNRISE did with the recent Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam movies, which were essentially a three-part summary of the TV series. In contrast, the new Eva movies call for massive modifications to the setting and the concepts.

"It'll be something viewers can enjoy if they've never seen the TV series," Otsuki continues. "I want everyone--from hardcore fans of the original work to people who only know it because of the licensed stuff--to look at it as a standalone film series.

The complexity has been somewhat lessened to make it more accesible to newbies, but it'll still take a bit of thought to understand." Otsuki adds that they're removing much of the deliberate obfuscation that made Eva infamous: "Filling works with difficult works and concepts in order to create confusion among viewers was a good technique 12 years ago, but not anymore, and one of our primary goals for this project is to turn everyone's expectations upside down."

The core creative team from the TV series has reunited, with original director Hideaki Anno (Gunbuster) overseeing the production. Kazuya Tsurumaki (FLCL) is taking on the mechanical design. Anno himself came up with the storyline for the first installment, while fellow GAINAX co-founder Shinji Higuchi is responsible for storyboarding. A number of new staff members will also be brought on as the production advances.
http://www.evamonkey.com/
If you haven’t heard about the new Evangelion project before this, basically it’s a total of four new movies, with the first movie coming out next year.

I’ll just listen them out in the order they are mentioned in the magazine.

It’s going to be crazy. Crazy like the Eva that we love and hate. Apparently, Mr. Anno is working full steam. He’s happy that he can finally recreate Eva “as he wanted it to be”, because he’s no longer limited by the technology of 12 years ago, ergo lots of 3D CG this time. In fact, it’s so crazy that you will need to watch the first movie at least 3 times to “get” it. (Or so they say.)

The planning for the first movie has already been completed and it has entered the drawing phase and Mr. Hideaki Anno is working on the script for the second movie. The staff remains more or less the same as the TV series.

The first movie will revolve around the events covered in episode 6 of the TV series, basically Operation Yashima where Eva-01 takes down the angel with a positron rifle. That episode did not turn out the way Mr. Anno wanted it to, due to last-decade technical limitations, and he wants to make it right this time. Operation Yashima will be the climax of the first movie. Mr. Shinji Higuchi, the director of Sinking of Japan, will be in-charge of the Yashima portions of the movie.

NEW characters will be appearing in the second movie. (Please let it be Mana Kirishima!!!)

Although the uniform designs will remain unchanged, the NERV and SEELE logos will be changed. The NERV logo will be based on a bitten apple, while the new SEELE logo will be an apple with a serpent coiled around it. The new logos are references to the original sin as told by the Bible. Apparently, this reference may be paralleled by the movies’ story at some point.

It sounds to me that the first movie will be at least a partial remake and the second movie will branch off to a new story with new characters. I guess you can call it a parallel Eva universe?
http://www.darkmirage.com/2006/11/12/mo ... n-project/