Berserk

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Balze

Post by Balze »

How much did you pay for the whole Collection
"A person starts to live when he can live outside himself."

I am the flesh and bone of my own sword.
Steel flows through my body, and fire is what courses through my blood.
I have created over a thousand blades.
Unknown to death.
Nor known to life.
Many times I have withstood enormous pain to create thousands of weapons.
And yet, those hands that have braved so much will never hold anything.
So as I pray now, I call forth "Unlimited Blade Works
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

The site I ordered from had the Premium Collection Set on special for $89 (though you can buy the Berserk Complete Collection Brick for $50 when it’s on special) plus the site had a 40% discount on all Dark Horse titles so I got the manga at about $6 a volume.
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

Three years ago a friend of mine gave me disk containing pictures and images. One of these images was a page from a manga. It consisted of five frames/ windows depicting a woman and man in a state of undress. The woman had a slightly darker complexion than the man. They lay next to one another. She was resting her head on his shoulder and said “It strange. Like it’s not even my own body.” She then rolls onto her side, props herself up with an elbow turns to him and said “That was your first time too, right?”

That was my first introduction to Berserk and I know one should talk about the violence or the ending of the series but the relationship between Guts and Casca was something that I always felt people overlooked. When events play themselves out in episode 21 so that we find Guts and Casca bonding the honesty and openness in with Casca conveys her feelings toward Guts made that moment the highlight of the series for me. What was already a brilliant series just became something that will have a hold on my heart forever.

After waiting 3 years to get the series I can honestly say it was well worth the wait.
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

I recognized some of the voice actors from Berserk
Griffith -his Japanese v/a was Naraku from InuYasha (In some of the earlier InuYhasa episodes when Naraku is disguised as this young noble or feudal lord the character looks so much like Griffith hecould be Griffith’s identical twin brother. He also provided the voice of Kimimaro from Naruto (The guy with the Shikotsumyaku : bloodline limit who faced of against Lee and Gaara in episodes 118 +

Guts -I was quite surprised when my friend pointed out that his Japanese v/a does the voice of Kabuto Yakushi from Naruto.

Caska –the Japanese voice actress is also known for her portrayal of Asuka Langley Sohryu from Neon Genesis Evangelion. She also had a role in the live action movie Battle Royale. (She’s the girl in the orientation video shown to the students/participants when they arrive on the island. Telling the students each one of them has been fitted with an explosive Collar and that they must kill one another using anything ranging from shotguns, handguns, hand grenades, crossbows, knives, pots and pans.) Cool movie btw.

Caska’s English voice actress had a small role in the reality tv series The
Restaurant (She was one of the waitresses. I think it’s still being shown on the BBC Food channel on DSTV.)

Princess Charlotte – Her English v/a Rachael Lillis is the voice Misty and Jessie from Pokemon.
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

Anime DVDs have been with us for good couple of years in fact the 19 of May marks the 10th year anniversary of the very first anime title released onto DVD. Battle Arena Toshinden was basically just a title transferred from video to DVD. It came with the simple menu layout and scene index. The best feature or extra was that the DVD had a Japanese Language, English Language and English Subtitles track.

Today these are standard features for all DVDs. Extras nowadays include trailers, music videos, interviews, clean/text less opening and closing sequences.

The Berserk Box of War or the more affordable Complete Collection Brick is no different when it comes to extras. I’ll give a few examples
1.) There is a 20 minute interview with author/creator of Berserk Kentaro Miura and a second interview this time with the producer of the anime series Toshio Nakatan.
2.) A cool feature was the inclusion of the storyboards and production sketches just to show you how much time and effort went into perfecting the anime series.
3.) As an added addition two music videos are included. The first being three minutes long and using the song Forces. The second one is a video showing artist painting a mural of the Band of the Hawks (Corkus; Judou; Pippin; Rickert; Casca; Griffith and Guts) while the opening theme Tell Me Why by Penpals plays in the background.
4.) The English cast members mainly Carolyn Keranen as Caska; Kevin T. Collins as Griffith and Marc Diraison as Guts supplies the DVDs with its best feature/extra the Outtakes. Every time Carolyn fluffs her lines she lets loose a whole string of explicatives, Marc comes up with these very funny and amusing goofs when he makes a mistake. It has to be Kevin T. Collins who as Griffith made most of the cast and crew laugh (not to mention making the ADR director want to strangle him ) Quite often when he would make a mistake he launches into a musical number or he would come up with a funny skit to cover any slip ups.

Hopefully I can start with the manga this weekend.

Battle Arena Toshinden was the first anime DVD released in States.
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

Someone told me not to bother reading the manga ( I have volumes 1 - 10 sitting on my bookshelf, still shrink-wrapped ) because the anime ties up all the loose ends. He claims that the monster Guts kills in the very first episode is Griffith; he points out the monster has the very same necklace that Griffith wore throughout the series. I thought the villain in the first episode was just “middle management”

Can someone tell me if there’s any truth to this, without revealing any spoilers. Please
Mortal_Wombat

Post by Mortal_Wombat »

No it's not true. Read the manga, it is the epitome of awesomeness.
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

Mortal_Wombat wrote:No it's not true. Read the manga, it is the epitome of awesomeness.
Thanks. I think you may have stopped me from making the biggest mistake of my life. Hopefully I’ll be able to start reading tonight.

Thank you very much for the help.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Any place to dl it from?
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
Mortal_Wombat

Post by Mortal_Wombat »

http://narutoshin.blogspot.com/2007/08/ ... _4078.html

Volume 01-31 is there on megaupload.

Or a lower quality/smaller download version at http://realitylapse.com/manga/berserk.php
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Thx
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

I’ve finished reading (the manga) up to volume 10 which ends with the rescue of Griffith, on Thursday but I’ve taken so long to post anything because I needed time to recover from the experience. I’ve often heard some of you guys say the manga is better than the anime , not just Berserk but other anime as well, to be honest I NEVER believed that to be true but I’ll have to admit that I was wrong.
The manga cleared up a few loose treads such as why Guts never liked people touching him, why the queen of Midland hated Griffith so much that she conspired with the nobles and politicians to get rid of Griffith. Plus we also find the source of the fairy dust that Caska used to treat Guts with after the 100 man battle.

In the manga you get to see that there are more sides to the characters. Let me take princess Charlotte as an example in the anime she appears to be this timid sheltered little creature, in the manga she shows us she can stand up for herself as she spurns the sexual advances of her father, the king by kicking in the face until he understands that NO means NO. She also happens to provided us with quite a bit of comic relief.
If I had one wish I would’ve wished that the producers of the anime series had included more of the moments of intimacy shared between Guts and Caska.
I don’t know about you guys but after watching the series I had a couple of questions.
How did Guts manage to survive the eclipse and what happened to Caska? Guess I’ll have get the other volumes to find out what happened.
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

At first glance reading something that’s in black and white didn’t appeal to me plus I had to get used to reading from right to left (and here I thought it was only people of Middle Eastern descent who read and write from right to left.) I’m a little more used to reading comics than manga but after turning a few pages I found myself unable to put it down until I made it to the last pages of volume 10. I’ve decided to download the remaining volumes and start reading once I have them all. I’m currently busy downloading vol 16, I calculate that by next week Thursday I should be finished downloading ‘em all. It does take a while with a 56KB Dial-up connection.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

It's translations so yeah, it's right-to-left reading order by default.
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

Rayne wrote:It's translations so yeah, it's right-to-left reading order by default.
Yes but for a number of years publishers in the West have been printing manga "flipped" in the left – to - right format, I wonder why?
Anyway recently many of them have started to print manga in the original right-to-left orientation.
But more importantly I’ve just finished downloading all of translated chapters; took me a little longer than expected but I hope to start reading them soon
Ahzure

Re: Berserk

Post by Ahzure »

Sorry I apologize for resurrecting this thread

The 35th volume of the Berserk manga will officially announce that a new Berserk anime is on its way. No word of a date yet though.

Rules that an Evil Overlord must live by!

45. I will make sure I have a clear understanding of who is responsible for what in my organization. For example, if my general screws up I will not draw my weapon, point it at him, say "And here is the price for failure," then suddenly turn and kill some random underling.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Can't google for info but is it a continuation of the previous anime or totally new?
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

finally
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

AnimeNewsNetwork wrote: Berserk's Golden Age Arc to Be Made Into 3 Anime Films
The previously announced Berserk anime film project will retell the Golden Age arc of Kentaro Miura's manga in three parts. The title of the first part, Berserk Ōgon Jidai-Hen I: Haō no Tamago (Berserk Golden Age Arc I: Egg of the Supreme Ruler), was revealed last week. The first film will open in Japan next January.

Good news I guess.

45. I will make sure I have a clear understanding of who is responsible for what in my organization. For example, if my general screws up I will not draw my weapon, point it at him, say "And here is the price for failure," then suddenly turn and kill some random underling.
Parabuthus

Post by Parabuthus »

I really need to catch up on the manga, am miles beghind these days. I agree witht he second post, this is the epitome of awesome.
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

It looks great. 

I remember switching between languages  during the events depicted in the trailer, trying to  determine which track was the best. I eventually gave up.  Hopefully I’ll be able to do same once this one gets released (licensed)   

CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Darnit still an hour and a half before I can see :?
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

so what now is the new beserk out ?