Apple owns The Future of Film™

Discussion and support for the Mac family of operating systems.
bondi

Apple owns The Future of Filmâ„¢

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 03 Jun 2004, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
Ri0t

Post by Ri0t »

ye macs are good for video as far as i know :P
amdretard

Post by amdretard »

Video and music and thats about all the mac is good for
My friends think i need a life. What do you think?
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

Even though I've never used MacOS (and probably never will) it is still hte best for image and video creatio and editing.
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

It is certainly a revolution by Apple.

Linux is there too in it's spot - mainly for rendering purposes.
Weta used Linux boxes in LOTR - in fact, they used a cluster of Linux boxes, plus the artists used Linux and Apple boxes.

http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/lin ... 56783.html

Then again, it's hardly suprising, as windows never intended to enter that market and probably never will.
bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 03 Jun 2004, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
Soap

Post by Soap »

The world's third largest Supercomputer, or better SuperComputer cluster buildup by the only best of Apple, 1100 G5 Dual 2 GHz PCs

The Virginia Tech Terascae cluster
Leigh

Re: Apple owns The Future of Filmâ„¢

Post by Leigh »

bondi wrote:But it's been all the rage where it counts. Return of the King features a big Apple logo at the end of the credits (it was composited in Shake, like most other blockbusters).

Apple only bought Shake last year, so you can be sure the majority of the comping on the LOTR series was actually done prior to that. Most of Weta's computers are Linux-based PCs as well as SGI boxes - only a few of their animators chose to use Apple (and no I am not saying this because of articles I read on the net, I actually know quite a few people at Weta Digital).

I really hate to make any negative sounding posts on this forum, especially since I am relatively new here, but I really find your Apple fanboyism a bit tiresome. Do you even work in the post industry? It is still largely PC-based but you don't see PC users going around on web forums bragging about it and posting every news snippet about PC usage in the industry.

At any rate, while Apple does have a good place in the visual effects and post production industry it's hardly the driving force behind it. While programs like FCP and others are definitely respected and reliable applications, you have to admit that the only reason that there is a "Apple is better for graphics" mentality among certain people is because it was true in the mid-80's when Photoshop was first introduced into the market (and back then was only Mac based) and the fact that Apple have happily allowed this now-outdated notion to continue since it helps their marketing.
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

While not refuting the content of your post at all, Leigh, I would just like to point out that Apple actually bought Nothing Real (the makers of Shake) in February 2002. This extra year obviously doesn't push it past the beginning of the LotR development stage tho :P

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2002/02/07.6.shtml (Check the date at the top of the announcement - 7 Feb 2002)
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Wow has it been so long already??! It feels like only last year that Nothing Real was bought... sorry, my mistake then.
At any rate, my point remains valid in that Weta would not have upgraded their software and systems midway through a production anyway - that type of thing is simply not done. They were far more likely to stick with the systems they were running, although it is possible that they may have switched between Two Towers and Return of the King... possible, but not really likely.
bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 03 Jun 2004, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

There's an article at OS News (www.osnews.com) on a similar topic :-

Mini-Editorial: How Apple Stole SGI's Hollywood Business
http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=6812

Not the best article around, but the reporter, Eugenia Loli-Queru, is the editor in chief at this very popular website.

It's pretty obvious that Apple have been heading in this direction. Some months back I posted one of my odd rambling posts about Apple turning toward music and film in a very big way, the obvious pointers being Ipod, Itunes and Pixar, a no-brainer really. I also suggested the traditional role of Apple in the print industry declining along with thier small end user (read home user) base. If they corner the movie industry, they won't need to bother with those roles any more.

The print industry are still Mac stalwarts, but this may change due to cost/software considerations. It's already happening, but it's a very slow attrition.

This is not so widely reported, but it's something I've noticed having been involved in the Web Design industry often working side by side with graphic designers.

Anyway, so long as there's a bright future for Apple, the computer industry should be happy. The ability to re-invent themselves has always been one of Apple's stronger points.
Soap

Post by Soap »

Apple is and always will be the preferred platform for Desktop Publishing and Multimedia