So i'm Using a MAC.

Discussion and support for the Mac family of operating systems.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

So i'm Using a MAC.

Post by DeathStrike »

Well as a PC user all my life i am surprised by the power of a mac. its good. BUT don't start thinking that i am going to turn away from PC.

Pros:
The mac has some pretty cool features.
I am using a macbook. not sure how it differs from normal mac.
there is cool functions on the Function keys. and the mac has four displays on it that alternate on pressing ctrl + arrow keys.
really cool cos i have two displays. so i have firefox and coding program open on one set of screens. then the mail and chat on another. and FTP and so on. the widgets display on pressing F12. and then go away with another. so you can be working and press F12 and widgets open over all programs then add a note or whatever. and then F12 to close. now i pretty much a noob on MAC. but it seems cool.
The MAC runs great hardly any problems. No BSODs.
Network Access seems wonderful. no problems with setup.
i have like 10 programs open at same time with no slow down. including photoshop 8O
Boot up from off to desktop in under 30 seconds. :D love that. EPIC WIN. And shutdown in like 5. ;)

Cons:
ok. the programs don't close when you click the x button..... fail. i feel that if i want something to close it should. Not have to right click a stupid icon and say quit.
MAC and Firefox don't go well... firefox keeps freezing..... FAIL. i know firefox is great browser as i use it all the time at home.

Finally: MOST EPIC FAIL SO FAR. The trash can can't restore items back to their original places. :evil: This has been around in windows since like win 95?? did google search and support sites say that mac users don't delete stuff unless they sure they don't want it.

some guy accidentally deleted the apps on the mac then could not restore them. had to reformat....

So would i use MAC over my pc? NO. mainly because i am used to my PC. but also because i am sure there are ways to get the features of MAC on PC. But perhaps i won't mind getting a macbook for work only.

Enjoy your day everyone.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
DarkStar

Re: So i'm Using a MAC.

Post by DarkStar »

DeathStrike wrote:
there is cool functions on the Function keys. and the mac has four displays on it that alternate on pressing ctrl + arrow keys.
Linux has had this for a while, too :wink:
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
Prime

Post by Prime »

DeathStrike, thats because programs don't actually continue eating memory and processing power when you minimise them, on a mac at least. :wink:

And, seriously, i'd love to have a recycle bin that didn't ask me if i was sure. the average person simply leaves their stuff in it and that eats hard drive space :roll:
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

Hence why I use Shift+Delete, Prime.
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
Prime

Post by Prime »

DarkStar wrote:Hence why I use Shift+Delete, Prime.
ooo Useful shortcut :D Thanks 8)
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I learnt Photoshop on a Mac. Was a bit clumsy at first - but it is fast and powerful. And I do like the sleek design.
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

yes it uses space.... but when you have a 500GB hard drive that really doesn't matter. and also if i really know i don't need something i use shift delete. but in my situation. i was working on a website and had to then download files from the live server. now there was over 500 files and the FTP program instead of overwrite the copied files it first deletes the old ones. then half way through the ftp program crashed and i the local site stopped working. now i had big problem as i didn't know what files had to go where that was missing. and i could not undelete from trash....FAIL... so had to re download the whole site agiain.
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
chowzen

Post by chowzen »

most important part of having a mac is to constantly keep it updated. i dont know how your notebook crashes using firefox, cuz i use firefox all day on my imac and i have never had any problems with firefox.
if you want to close programs, go to program name on the toolbar (between file and apple) and click quit. or, hold cmd & tab, and the running programs will apprear in a box, select the program, just like in windows and then press Q.
i use my mac at work and game on my pc at home.

macs rule.
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

lol. ya i found out that firefox addons are not always as stable in MAC as in Windows. so its actually a fail on the add on makers side. the mac is up to date.
Oh and thanks for the tips. :)
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
shiv

Post by shiv »

Is it possible to run Mac OS X in a VM or something?
100% free and legal please!!
I always wanted to use a Mac just to see what these fanbois keep bragging about...
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Shiv. Its illegal to run OSX on any platform other than Mac.

Go to an Apple store and play with one.
senile

Post by senile »

maxxis wrote:
Go to an Apple store and play with one.
Don't forget to take surgical gloves
sinner777

Post by sinner777 »

or just push "command+Q" to shut down an app.
"A man is not unlike a dog, I am sure that if one could reach, he too would lick himself"
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

one problem i notice now. is that when i get home and try to Ctrl + (whatever) i end up pressing Alt instead...

Mac is taking over my body. :lol: :lol: (For those who don't know. the "Command" key on a MAC is next to the Space Bar. hence my fingers are getting used to pressing the button next to Space).
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
thealluseless

Post by thealluseless »

I actually find expose more useful than spaces to be honest.
Not realyl sure why ur firefox fails? mine has been solid, but try camino, its also pretty good!

Also recommend using sun's virtual box for any vm's you want to run, version 3 has been released recently!
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

the firefox is fine now. was a add-on that was not compatible with mac. i use both expose and spaces.

And we use virtual box to run windows and ubuntu. windows for IE. have to check websites work in it. even tho its useless.
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

ok. so i have found a new fail for mac... i am trying to copy 3.81 GB. onto my 4GB flash. and it is telling me its ganna take two hours?? really? i just copied everything off my flash onto my windows PC. about 3.9GB. in about 5 mins? its still copying now. it at 894mb and still say needs two hours.
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Prime

Post by Prime »

DeathStrike wrote:ok. so i have found a new fail for mac... i am trying to copy 3.81 GB. onto my 4GB flash. and it is telling me its ganna take two hours?? really? i just copied everything off my flash onto my windows PC. about 3.9GB. in about 5 mins? its still copying now. it at 894mb and still say needs two hours.
well is it running at usb 1 or 2 speeds?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Prime wrote:well is it running at usb 1 or 2 speeds?
It's fail either way.
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

its weird. afterwards i tried to copy another 3GB file and it went quick. about 7 mins. strange. :?
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me