Running a printer on a mac through a windows based network

Discussion and support for the Mac family of operating systems.
cOokie_mOnster

Running a printer on a mac through a windows based network

Post by cOokie_mOnster »

Hi everyone.

I have a slight problem...

I need to print to a printer (Gestetner) which is connected to a basic windows workgroup network, the problem is that the computer that needs to print is a mac book pro (Running OS X) which is connected to the windows network.

On windows i can do this with ease, but I have no idea what procedure to follow using a mac?

Can somebody please be as kind as to give me a quick run through of how i should go about doing this.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Howzit going

Unfortunately I wont be able to help with the Mac side of things.. but can help you with the setup type :D

So the printer is connected to the Mac right?
Cant you setup sharing on that PC, make it visible for the workgroup and print like that
Setup a p2p enviroment, probably the easiest way to setup print sharing :P

Hope that helped things a little bit
Can look for some more helpful linkage when I get to the office
thealluseless

Post by thealluseless »

connect the mac to the network either wirelessly or cable,

under sys prefs/network settings, change the search domain to the domain of the network if ur running AD.

in sys prefs go to add printer and faxes, click the + button by add printer, if ur lucky the printer will automatically get discovered through bonjour, if not click under windows printers and search for the printer here,

u are probably gonna have driver/authentication issues if you are using AD, the easiest way to fix this is install ghost print, but we will cross that bridge if it comes to there.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
R3D

Post by R3D »

Ive never tried it before but knowing windows this is how it wil probably go
cOokie_mOnster

Post by cOokie_mOnster »

Thanks everyone for the timely responses.

@g0ldback
The printer is connected to a windows machine on the network, and unfortunately i can't connect it directly to the mac...

@ thealluseless
The printer does not get found under either windows printers, or bonjour. What is ghost print?

@R3D
LOL!

Is there a way to access the printer via it's IP?

Once again I really appreciate the help, the world of mac is a very scary place when you'r a dedicated windows user.
thealluseless

Post by thealluseless »

u are not going to be able to access the printer via its ip very easily unless it is directly attached to the network and not through a windows machine...

is the printer def shared properly?

u also need to enable windows sharing on the mac,
go to sys prefs, sharing, check file sharing, then by the options button, click that and enable smb sharing and tick the account u want to enable smb sharing on.

thats if ur using leopard 10.5.xxx

on tiger the smb sharing is under applications/utilities, directory utility...

try that first, restart the mac and see if u can find the printer. can u contact the windwos machine? ie ping it, then connecct to it via smb?
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
jason101

Re: Running a printer on a mac through a windows b

Post by jason101 »

Okay, I have a lexmark 840 printer and I have been trying change my printer options by changing how my printer prints. I want it to print in color instead in black and white and I couldn't find where on my computer where I can do that. I mean I went to where it said printers and other hardware but I wasn't successful on how to change the printer to print in color. How do I change my printer from printing in black and white to color?

Re: Running a printer on a mac through a windows b

Post by thealluseless »

uh... i guess u would do it from the print menu in the application ur printing from?
beerman

Re: Running a printer on a mac through a windows based network

Post by beerman »

Cookie ... Try the Apple support forums. The guys are very helpful there ..
My 2c ...