Apple Bundles Safari into iTunes... naughty naughty!

Discussion and support for the Mac family of operating systems.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Apple Bundles Safari into iTunes... naughty naughty!

Post by hamin_aus »

www.theinquirer.net wrote:Apple's backdoor shenanigans pay off

THE CUPERTINO CABAL'S decision to sneakily piggyback its Safari browser on the last release of Itunes looks to have paid off despite howls of derision from users outraged at being given free software.

The Itunes installer, which included a pre-selected option to update Apple's own-brand browser (even if users had never had it installed in the first place!) looks like it might be responsible for a threefold increase in market penetration in just one month, according to the number-crunching folk over at Market Share.

The update was pushed out to millions of users and it would seem that a fair few of them, once they had recovered from the indignity of the uninvited intrusion, have realised that Safari is actually a pretty darned good wibble wanderer.
The only reason I even read this articles was because of the phrase Backdoor Shenanigans - what a disappointment!
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

ROFL @
The only reason I even read this articles was because of the phrase Backdoor Shenanigans - what a disappointment!
HmmZ, I dont like Apple products much...I dont have much of a reason for it though. The few iv used or seen.etc dont seem too be that great

Personal preferance I guess? :P

Iv noticed that some people would just use something for the sake of having it, most likely the same happend with quite a lot of the people who started using it due to it being included in the installer? :?
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Is there really even a use for Mac's in this day and age tho :?:

PC's have surpassed Mac's for most of the uses they were renowned for 10 years or so ago - graphics and sound editing/design primarily.

Still, it's nice to see they are reading from the book of Microsoft and bundling their crappy software into products so that clueless users will be forced to use the stuff.

From what I have heard about Safari, it's not that great a browser. Kind of like IE, but with less raw sewage pouring out of it.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

i noticed this on one of the co-worker's machines...

i'm surprised they continue to play this game considering the issues they've picked up in the past around the security flaws they introduce by silently installing their particular flavour of spamware/malware/adware...

i love people who use iTunes... without them, the world would be a great deal duller...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I tried Safari. Hated it. It keeps popping up on the Apple auto update thing, and I keep choosing not to install it. I wish it would go away already!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I also tried Safari, and hated it as well.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

I hate Apple, Steve Jobs is Satan. Bill Gates lost his honorary Satanic status to him years ago.

EDIT: For the cause:
http://www.psystar.com/shop/openmac.html
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

I haven't tried Safari, and I don't intend to! Opera FTW! :D Even more so now that Opera was the first browser to pass the Acid3 test! ;) (Sauce 1, Sauce 2 and more info)
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Xiphan wrote:Opera FTW! :D
QFT!!!!! :D

What is the Acid3 test? :?
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
NealeDeadlyAlien
Registered Bush Snake Facehugger

Post by NealeDeadlyAlien »

Well what a coincidence as I went into my Itunes now to update my Ipod Touch and noticed if I payed them an extra £12.99 I would get all these new coold features on my Ipod such as e-mail, GPS, Weather etc.. which all options requires internet access as I don't have that activated on my ipod, so pretty much it wouldn't do anything for me.
naughty

Post by naughty »

PC's have surpassed Mac's for most of the uses they were renowned for 10 years or so ago - graphics and sound editing/design primarily.
not really - if you have one of those R40k dual quadcore factory watercooled monsters with ECC ram - then the pc is still left behind and the mac is still better at those graphics and sound editing things

also beauty of mac is that it isnt susceptible to virus'es - dont want to start a PC vs mac debate - but yep the mac still outdoes the PC in the functions that it primarlly used to

doesnt mean im going to rush out and go and buy one though cos its a tad bit pricey as opposed to a comparably specced pc to do the same job - software still isnt on par though - some of the mac stuff is still better

also nowadays the mac is doing a far more admirable job of leisure stuff like dvd viewing etc where it does provide a quiter and relatively trouble free experience vs a PC albeit at a price (which most ofd us are not willing to pay - im becoming a real cheapskate nowadays - having spent over R200k on pc parts in the last 6 or 7 years - nowadays im only going to bargain hunt :wink: )
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

PsyCLown wrote:What is the Acid3 test? :?
http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid3
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

At first I kinda liked Safari, for some strange reason, haha. I'm back on Opera now, the best by far... :)
thealluseless

Post by thealluseless »

not really - if you have one of those R40k dual quadcore factory watercooled monsters with ECC ram - then the pc is still left behind and the mac is still better at those graphics and sound editing things
agreed fully, each has their place, i do tons of support for video editing companies, mac is still the prefered choice, not because its a mind set, but because it is faster...

As for the bundling, cant say its the right thing to do, but why not? safari is not terrible, its just not the best...
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

naughty wrote:also beauty of mac is that it isnt susceptible to virus'es
They just get hacked in 2 minutes. :wink:
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

Although I'm not a big fan of Macs I can't deny that its other beauty is that some of the worlds leading DJs use them in their live acts to mix tracks, as well as remix tracks live!

Paul van Dyk
About.com's PvD Interview wrote:RS: Is this related to the way you're DJing live now with a laptop as opposed to a CD or a record?
Paul Van Dyk: Yes, absolutely. When I play, I have two laptops with me – one running Scratch Live by Serrato and the other running Ableton. They’re connected with each other and they can interact with those systems. It’s absolutely amazing what you can do, especially when you have the ability of a sequencer program re-editing the track while they are running and doing crazy stuff. As I said before, electronic music was always about breaking boundaries on all levels and using the latest technology as part of it.
Remixmag.com wrote:LAPTOP TWINS

A couple of factors give Paul van Dyk a signature style that separates him from the other DJs traipsing the world in search of fame and fortune. Beyond his recognizable face (a slightly humorous, passive expression typically outlines his features) and superstar cachet, van Dyk has serious skills. And as of late, he has abandoned vinyl-only turntables and CD spinners in favor of two Apple MacBook Pros and minimal hardware. Lots of DJs are using laptops live, but van Dyk is taking it to a new level of creativity and functionality.

“Both laptops are driving Ableton Live,” he explains. “One laptop is full of audio material, the other is completely stuffed up with software synthesizers and MIDI sequencers. Both laptops are linked up through a custom interface, and I have an Allen & Heath Xone:3D mixer, which has a complete template that is also custom-made. I have an Evolution UC33 USB control surface, an Akai MPC2500 and an M-Audio MIDI keyboard to play all the things I want to play.

“The great thing about the 3D mixer is that it combines the possibilities of the fantastic Allen & Heath Xone:92 DJ Mixer with being a complete MIDI controller. Everything has an impact on how I use Ableton — certain buttons, certain faders, certain knobs — they all have a function that basically triggers something in the program.”

Using Ableton Live via the two laptops and various synths allows van Dyk to not only remix his classic tracks (“We Are Alive,” “Tell Me Why,” “For an Angel”) in real time, but to improvise and create new songs on the fly. He can remix old club favorites and mix and match new tunes from In Between — the possibilities are endless.
Giuseppe Ottaviani:

As you can see in the above images two of my favourite DJs are both using Macs!
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Xiphan wrote:some of the worlds leading DJs
That's highly debatable!
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

jamin_za wrote:
Xiphan wrote:some of the worlds leading DJs
That's highly debatable!
To what are you referring is debatable? :? Who I view as leading DJs or DJs that use laptops to expand upon mere DJ mixes that involve nothing more than crossfading tracks? Or am I being bated with late night troll bate? :P
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

:lol:
Have you ever tried crossfading two tracks without any software? Just your mark 1 eardrums... How about mixing two different tracks live on an analogue mixer :?:

Thats frikken DJ'ing! Two turntables and a microphone.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

jamin_za wrote::lol:
Have you ever tried crossfading two tracks without any software? Just your mark 1 eardrums... How about mixing two different tracks live on an analogue mixer :?:

Been there, done that. :P
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Hman

Post by Hman »

I could not care less.

hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Ron2K wrote:Been there, done that. :P
Ya, but when your techno music is going at 5000 beats a minute, nobody knows when you are out of sync.
People tripping on extacy are easy to DJ for :P
Hman

Post by Hman »

:lol:

Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

jamin_za wrote::lol:

I'm afraid I've only ever tried DJing with software, but even then it still requires a considerable amount of talent to find two tracks that go well together, not to mention you have to use your mark 1 eardrums to hear if the tracks are in sync. As for DJing with an analogue mixer I think it would be easier, as you have hands on access to the playing tracks as well as the crossfader. Using software I've had to rely on a mouse or the keyboard to control the crossfader which believe me is not always easy.

So before you think a PC makes DJing easier, trust me it doesn't. Hence the reason why there's only a handful of DJs using it. As for what they use it, if you read what PvD does, you'll know that he DJs with Serato Scratch and Ableton Live. Which still requires turntables and uses timecoded vinyls to communicate the scratching/ mixing technique to the Serato software. However he also uses a laptop to create new music on the spot, now that is a TRUE live act! Well at least in the trance sense.
jamin_za wrote:
Ron2K wrote:Been there, done that. :P
Ya, but when your techno music is going at 5000 beats a minute, nobody knows when you are out of sync.
People tripping on extacy are easy to DJ for :P
Although it's a common misconception to associate drugs with raves, I've never felt the need to use drugs to enjoy it? And as much as I like to think I'm special I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way.