The Windows Phone Thread

Discussion and support for any other operating system out there.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Post by Stuart »

Windows Phone 8 thinks smartphones have DVD drives

You might already be aware that one of the biggest changes within Windows Phone 8 was the arrival of the NT kernel. That change allowed Microsoft to bring over loads of additional code from Windows 8, including Secure Boot and BitLocker encryption, as well as some pretty big chunks of Internet Explorer 10 — which provided a nice mobile browsing boost to WP8.

Apparently, the kernel brought a few other desktop bits with it, including the Windows Recovery screens. And when Windows Phone 8 fails to start, it asks you to pop in your Windows installation disc just like it would on a desktop or laptop. Don’t worry if you can’t locate your disc. As Microsoft always recommends in situations like this, you can also contact your friendly local admin or the company that manufactured your computer for assistance.

Read more
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

My aunt bought herself a Lumia 820 (think thats the model she has) and is loving the phone. It is easy to use and looks pleasing to the eye according to her. She was dismayed with the 1 day battery life she is getting out of it but once I told her how little mine lasts she was happier. I tried to play around with it and after 5 minutes I was bored :/. Yes it feels smooth & snappy (like iOS) but it lacked the tinkering feel to it and I just lost interest...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

The Lumia has the worst battery life of any phone I've used to date.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Well, none of the firmware flashes helped rebooting matters on the Lumia, so I eventually traded my iPhone for an HTC 8X, which hasn't rebooted yet. Of course, last night the 8X downloaded and OS update, so I should switch on the Lumia tonight and see if it will download updates too. If it does and this fixes the rebooting, I will be a little on the miffed side.