mxit on Android

Discussion and support for any other operating system out there.
Mclaren

mxit on Android

Post by Mclaren »

My Kid has a Sony Xperia mini pro, her mxit chews about 5 bucks per message. any ideas. I am mxit clueless.....so.
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: mxit on Android

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

It's not mxit that's chiding the data, it's all the other thingson the phone. Install TrafficStats and see what's using all the data :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

nothing happens with her airtime unless she send a message using mxit. i will check with your idea anyways.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

make sure that auto sync and auto update for the installed apps are disabled. Android can be tweaked to use very little data.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

That doesn't make any sense, though. There has to be something else using her airtime. mxit runs on internet data and a message on mxit is a few bytes, so you'd only notice a small loss of airtime over a long period.

I remember hearing that just logging in to mxit uses R1 or R2, but I never believed that.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:That doesn't make any sense, though. There has to be something else using her airtime. mxit runs on internet data and a message on mxit is a few bytes, so you'd only notice a small loss of airtime over a long period.

I remember hearing that just logging in to mxit uses R1 or R2, but I never believed that.
Cell C has a special APN so that even if you are out of airtime you can get on to mxit, but its throttled so its slower than normal.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Wow, seriously?! Man, I can't believe they'd actually do that.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Cell C are clever. Now that I have a WP7 device I am seriously considering getting a Cell C contract and having a data bundle bolted on every month. Probably 250megs or maybe bigger.
Prime

Post by Prime »

disable the user avatars. also check her phone isn't using mms instead of wap. sounds crazy but you used to be able to do this.
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

cool, thanks for the info huys, will check all of these settings, also gonna change her to cell c to as she is currently on vodacom.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Check to make sure that it is in fact using GPRS, make sure the GPRS settings are up to date.

Turn off user profile pictures.

And if it is still a problem, do a completely clean install of MXit (see spoiler).
Spoiler: (show)
Please follow these instructions for installing/upgrading to the new version of MXit on your device.

Installing Java version of MXit - (new users can skip to Step 4)
  • Step 1: Delete any previous version of MXit off your device (Be sure to remember your login details and pin, or if your pin contains any letters, change it to a numerical pin).
  • Step 2: Open your phone's internet browser and clear the cache.
  • Step 3: Turn your phone off and on.
  • Step 4: Make sure your phone's WAP connectivity has been set up properly:
  • Step 5: Open your phone's browser and navigate to m.mxit.com/
  • Step 6: Select the version of MXit you'd like to download and install it to phone memory. (Please note that the "If installation fails, click here" link is the digitally signed version).
  • Step 7: After MXit has been downloaded, go to the folder which it is in (collection/applications/installs/games).
  • Step 8: Open MXit and let it connect to the internet to finish the downloading and installation process.
  • Step 9: Select the option you'd like:
    • New users - please select "register" and fill out all the information before selecting accept.
    • Previous users - please select "login" and fill out the required information before selecting accept.
  • Step 10: Enjoy your MXit experience!
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I remember hearing that just logging in to MXit uses R1 or R2, but I never believed that.
When they first introduced profile pictures, the setting was on by default. So on first login, MXit would download all the profile pictures your friends had set, burning through cash. Now they have the setting off by default.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.