Windows Mobile under threat

Discussion and support for any other operating system out there.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Windows Mobile under threat

Post by Ron2K »

MyBroadband wrote:When Windows Mobile was first launched in 2000 it was known as Pocket PC 2000. A couple of years later, and a name change to Windows Mobile, and Microsoft's mobile platform was on track to success, racking up as much as 14% market share by 2002 depending on which statistics you look at. Fourteen percent doesn't sound like a lot but in a market already brimming with contenders, and after just two years, it was a significant achievement, although not entirely surprising considering Microsoft's financial muscle.

Today, however, Windows Mobile is in decline and faces a new, and potentially lethal, onslaught from a cluster of new mobile OS makers. And already that onslaught is beginning to takes its toll with analysts putting Windows Mobile's market share at just 9% at the middle of 2009. Again, not a huge slide but a big enough one to suggest the WinMo decline is gathering momentum.

Most industry watchers are predicting that Windows Mobile 7 will be the secret, or perhaps last ditch attempt, to reverse Microsoft's ailing mobile strategy. The problem is that Windows Mobile 7 is not yet available and while Microsoft issues mostly featureless upgrades such as Windows Mobile 6.5, the smartphone market is booming and a host of new players are streaming in through the door.
Rest of article
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: Windows Mobile under threat

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

WM is pretty much screwed at the moment. I've been saying it for a while, and I've been reading about it online and hearing about it in podcasts. WM is in big big trouble.

I have a WinMo phone and I absolutely hate it.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Windows Mobile under threat

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol: I agree that Winmo is nearly dead but I can honestly say I have not had as much fun with a phone as I have had with my Winmo phone, btw thanks DJV for getting me flashing ROMS :P.

I will say that I enjoy seeing where HTC are going Android and Sense that looks like a awesome package to own next year September...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.