Android attack

Discussion and support for any other operating system out there.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Android attack

Post by Ron2K »

Found on MyBB.
MyBroadband wrote:Can Google unseat Windows on PCs?

In what would be its most direct challenge to Microsoft to date, Google is said to be planning to offer Android, an operating system it developed for smartphones, on a new generation of mini laptop computers. Can Google unseat Windows on PCs?

The market for netbooks — small, low-powered and low-cost notebook PCs — has mushroomed in the past 24 months. Ever since Taiwan’s Asustek introduced the Linux-based Eee PC in October 2007, all the big PC makers, from Hewlett-Packard to Acer, have introduced their own low-cost laptops. The machines typically cost less than R5 000.

The new market segment, which is more than doubling every year according to some estimates, has given Windows rival Linux its first significant market share outside the server computers that power companies’ back-office systems. According to research from Gartner, about 15% of netbooks sold run Linux, against less than 1% for other PCs.

The rise of netbooks has given Microsoft a headache. It has been forced to continue selling Windows XP, now eight years old, because the resource-intensive Windows Vista won’t run well on the low-powered devices. The software maker has worked hard to ensure that the upcoming Windows 7, due out later this year, will run on netbooks.

But Google, which is already a serious threat to Microsoft in Web search and has an array of products that threaten Microsoft’s applications business, is now rumoured to be planning to get into the PC operating system business with Android.

Google isn’t saying what its plans for Android are but the threat to Microsoft is real. Android is based on Linux and is available under an open-source licence, meaning anyone can freely take it and modify it for their own uses. It’s the antithesis of Microsoft’s business model — Microsoft’s software is released under strict proprietary licences that prohibit modification of the underlying code.

Android has caused a big stir in the cellular handset market. Last year, Taiwan’s HTC, which has traditionally focused on making phones that run the rival Windows Mobile operating system from Microsoft, launched the Dream, the first phone running the Google system. HTC is now readying its second-generation Android device, the Magic, which should go on sale soon. Vodacom is expected to launch the Magic in SA, and advance units are already in the country.

Android provides access to a range of online Google services, including Gmail, Calendar, Talk, Maps and YouTube. Google’s entry into the smartphone market is strategically very important to the company given that billions of people who never used the Internet before will go online for the first time from their mobile phones.

Other handset manufacturers are also embracing Android: Sony Ericsson, Motorola, Huawei, Samsung and Lenovo are all planning to build devices based on the software.

But it’s the news that Android will soon be ported to netbooks that has generated the most buzz in recent weeks. According to reports, Freescale Semiconductor is working on microprocessors that run the operating system. Chip maker Qualcomm also plans to help push Android onto netbooks. And Asustek, which pioneered the netbook segment, is also working on an Android netbook.

The idea could fly, given that many of the tools people use on their computers are now available online — e-mail, office applications such as word processing and spreadsheets, and calendaring. With extensive 3G coverage across developed markets and in many developing markets, working online is not the challenge it was a couple of years ago.

Getting Android onto netbooks could be the first step in Google taking direct aim at Microsoft’s core business of desktop operating systems. Microsoft has every reason to fear what’s happening.

First published as the column Technology & You in the Financial Mail of March 6 2009
Source
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
rustypup

Re: Android attack

Post by rustypup »

Microsoft has every reason to fear what’s happening.
until h/ware vendors stop getting locked into M$ by embedding native support for mickeysoft's laughably overpriced OS in their kit, and given that this hardware evolution requires an intelligent consumer market, this is so much marsh gas...

that being said... android is ... ok... not exactly impressive... much like the rest of google's stock...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

And if you look at this from a gaming perspective?
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

SykomantiS wrote:And if you look at this from a gaming perspective?
last i checked, all vendors were committed to DX....
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

See that's the thing. I'm thinking that too. And I don't think Android would ever compete when it comes to gaming. And that's a big chunk of the desktop market.
Prime

Post by Prime »

ya but it would be madness to try and game on a netbook anyway :wink:

Well unless you are GB :lol:
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Obviously it won't end at netbooks. And have a notebook I game on, It's not the strongest thing ever, but it's stronger than my current desktop.
Prime

Post by Prime »

SykomantiS wrote:Obviously it won't end at netbooks. And have a notebook I game on, It's not the strongest thing ever, but it's stronger than my current desktop.
ya but notebook > netbook. :wink:
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I know that...
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

SykomantiS wrote:I don't think Android would ever compete when it comes to gaming.
:roll:

*nix memory allocation, resource management and stability makes it the perfect gaming machine... nevermind the fact that the OS isn't wasting resources making sure you're not sneakily pretending to be playing a game but are actually copying HD dvds...

the lack of vendor support is both historical and user based... historical because of MS's leveraging market penetration to get the vendors locked in, and user because the bulk of the consumer market is, quite frankly, dim...
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I am aware of how much better unix/linux can handle hardware. But I was referring to the whole thing with DirectX. MS won't open up with dx else they would have already. And while Google can create something similar, it's like you said, all (current) vendors are commited to dx. Some may switch, but I don't see Android as really competing in the gaming sector.
shiv

Post by shiv »

Android is just another Linux.
Boring.

I know a friend of mine who bought a netbook with Linux on it - just because it was cheaper.
He later wiped the HDD and put Windows on it. :lol:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

fascinating... do tell... i'm sure we're all agog to hear how this tale of daring do ends.... do you two "get together" in the end, or can we expect a sequel? :shock:
shiv

Post by shiv »

rustypup wrote:fascinating... do tell... i'm sure we're all agog to hear how this tale of daring do ends.... do you two "get together" in the end, or can we expect a sequel? :shock:
lol @ rusty

i would also buy a linux pc and then wipe it off, haha.

it's a friday, laugh lol
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

rustypup wrote:do you two "get together" in the end, or can we expect a sequel?
Brokeback Notebook :?:

That sounds like the kind of story that would keep a 'nix user on the edge of their seat.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

shiv, You just killed two seal pups, do you realise this?

lol
to ápeiro anima
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Midway wants to build a game engine independant of any API...
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
shiv

Post by shiv »

jamin_za wrote:
rustypup wrote:do you two "get together" in the end, or can we expect a sequel?
Brokeback Notebook :?:

That sounds like the kind of story that would keep a 'nix user on the edge of their seat.
Well said jamin!!!!!
Lmao!!!!!!

It should actually be Brokeback Netbook lol
shiv

Post by shiv »

UrBaN wrote:shiv, You just killed two seal pups, do you realise this? lol
:?: Sorry it is a friday, brain not working, do explain lol
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

shiv, :lol:

You sorta either got it or you didn't...

rustedpooch is now killing a seal pup every time a post of "lol" is made...
to ápeiro anima
jee

Post by jee »

Why can we not talk about Android and its possibilities in SA - NOT just for gamers - there are many other people out there that would find great use out of this. I am sure it can be used to download/listen to e-books/audio books. Will make a better option than teh Kindle.

jhmmmm
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
shiv

Post by shiv »

jee wrote:Why can we not talk about Android and its possibilities in SA - NOT just for gamers - there are many other people out there that would find great use out of this. I am sure it can be used to download/listen to e-books/audio books. Will make a better option than teh Kindle.

jhmmmm
Interesting... but even if HP does go ahead, it won't be long before they can it...
Windows is just too strong.