So maybe windows will be overthrown. But not by Linux.

Discussion and support for any other operating system out there.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

So maybe windows will be overthrown. But not by Linux.

Post by D3PART3D »

This freaks me out, because no one seemed to expect it, and yet it seems to me that Chrome has a rather stunning chance of bringing an end to the desktop OS as we now know it.

Right, now let's start assessing my sanity :P
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
RuadRauFlessa

Re: So maybe windows will be overthrown. But not by Linux.

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

That is an idea fathered by some idiot that does not use a PC to play any kind of game. IMHO he sucks.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Ok, I just built a pc. All new hardware and I am ready to get the thing running. Right. Do I request a CD from Google that will actually auto boot, and then install only Chrome on my new shiny piece of machine? And then in 10min, I will be able to remove the disc, reboot the pc and then it boots into where? Chrome alone? No pun intended.

Chrome to me still looks like a application which is dependant on the basic OSI reference model. Basically, it needs an OS to run on. What OS you might ask? Well, then it's either back to MS or Linux.

Just my 2c.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

IcePick88 wrote:Chrome to me still looks like a application which is dependant on the basic OSI reference model. Basically, it needs an OS to run on. What OS you might ask? Well, then it's either back to MS or Linux.
Yes, so maybe we will still need a basic OS. But I think its importance would be really really teensy. I'm not too clued up here, so forgive anything n00b I say, but consider the following.

So... here we have, say XP, and we're running Chrome on it. So I want to check my email. Start -> Outlo... oh wait, we don't use outlook anymore, well most people on this forum anyway - we use GMail. Which is totally web based and, OS independent. That's one very important piece of software we all thought we needed, which used our OS, replaced.

Photoshop. We have an online version of photoshop currently in beta. Sure, it can't do a tenth of what CS3 can do, but it points to the direction things are currently heading. Perhaps one day, all we will need our hard drives for is cache? Maybe even some of our processing can be done online. You use your quad core maybe a total of 3hrs a day, for example. How much cheaper would it be to share one processor with 8 people? Of course we'd need our own, but if it was a big job that would take forever on my home PC, because I'm running a P3, letting processing be done remotely would be awesome.

What about all the other software that could possibly moved online?

Online storage - need to format? No worries, format and install this 100mb OS and then log on to your google account, where a backup of your settings are stored, and in a few minutes your PC is its exact previous state. Maybe your hdd got burned in a fire, not a train smash, all your important documents are stored on google's server anyway

As far as I know, all web apps could be OS independent. I suppose that means that since OSes lose their importance they will drop in price and become easier to develop, maybe we'll see a few new ones?
RuadRauFlessa wrote:That is an idea fathered by some idiot that does not use a PC to play any kind of game. IMHO he sucks.
Quake Live?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_Zero
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

What you say makes sense. But then who will develop and distribute this "teensy OS"? Google?

They have the right direction. It's almost like working off a thin client. BUT, I don't think SA has the infrastructure to cater for such huge bandwidth demand. If everything will be done online (photos, music, video ect) then the required bandwidth will shoot through the roof!

If we ever catch up witht the kind of telecomms infrastructure of 1st world countries, yes maybe, but I don't see that happening. For home users yes, it will work for some, but in a business, you still need your enterprise hardware and fully functional OS. I think MS will still have the upper hand for many years to come. And with all the clever people out there, why hasn't there been another big commercially made OS available to combat the MS monopoly?

I don't think there will ever be one, unless MS goes belly up and the need for one is there were someone can actually make some money off it, cuz right now, if you develop a working OS to the likes of MS, you will be hard pressed for people to buy it, as they all know MS and what it offers.
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

not to mention: Do you want ALL your personal data "out there"?
RuadRauFlessa

Re: So maybe windows will be overthrown. But not b

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

D3PART3D wrote:
RuadRauFlessa wrote:That is an idea fathered by some idiot that does not use a PC to play any kind of game. IMHO he sucks.
Quake Live?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_Zero
Nice but what about Crysis :?: or Gears of War :?: or COD4 :?: or Diablo 3
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
M1ke

Post by M1ke »

And quite honestly, an extremely large portion of PC users do so without internet.
"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Kronos wrote:not to mention: Do you want ALL your personal data "out there"?
Exactly. can we trust google with our personal data? i for 1 choose the normal windows cos i can still turn my internet off and work. and i don't need to worry bout other ppl accessing my work. (As my Internet is off.)
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
shiv

Post by shiv »

Chrome killing Windows is utter rubbish.
Windows FTW!
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

necro :roll:
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

It's not THAT old.... :D
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

If he created his own thread, he'd be accused of making a duplicate thread. Although "Windows FTW" is not that constructive. :P

IMO Chrome will fail because if Google's policy is "do no evil" they won't beat out Windows. Fight fire with fire. You have to be a money-grabbing, evil, unethical capitalist to secure a monopoly (or take one down) with your product. It's not a good thing, but it's the truth.

Also, having my personal info on external servers is not something I'd want. No security is flawless, we've seen this time and time again with uncrackable ciphers/encryption (Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, etc). And you don't have to beat the encryption to necessarily get the info. A corrupt employee is all it takes.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
shiv

Post by shiv »

Hex_Rated wrote:If he created his own thread, he'd be accused of making a duplicate thread. Although "Windows FTW" is not that constructive. :P

IMO Chrome will fail because if Google's policy is "do no evil" they won't beat out Windows. Fight fire with fire. You have to be a money-grabbing, evil, unethical capitalist to secure a monopoly (or take one down) with your product. It's not a good thing, but it's the truth.

Also, having my personal info on external servers is not something I'd want. No security is flawless, we've seen this time and time again with uncrackable ciphers/encryption (Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, etc). And you don't have to beat the encryption to necessarily get the info. A corrupt employee is all it takes.
lol :wink:
Kasyx

Post by Kasyx »

Nevermind that fact that we here in bandwidth-starved SA will be working on the web-based OS equivalent of a 386...

Web-based Operating Systems is a great idea, however it relies on the idea that the entire world has lightening-fast bandwidth.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Kasyx wrote:Nevermind that fact that we here in bandwidth-starved SA will be working on the web-based OS equivalent of a 386...

Web-based Operating Systems is a great idea, however it relies on the idea that the entire world has lightening-fast bandwidth.
and your forgetting that it needs to be unlimited also > that means no CAP.
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

a web os to me is a good idea to me, But why does everyone match it with MS ?

Or point out its one or the other.

BMW has the M3 range and Merc the AMG

its not to say the BMW is going to die out cus of the AMG :D
Mow

Post by Mow »

Has anyone considered that that basic OS needed to run chrome is ANDROID ? This idea is not so far fetched. With android as a os gaming would not be impossible.

edit
overthrow ? No probably not. But i can see this system getting Mac like following.
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
jee

Post by jee »

Was Chrome not originally released for XP? I remember reading it somewhere and wondering about it?
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
shiv

Post by shiv »

jee wrote:Was Chrome not originally released for XP? I remember reading it somewhere and wondering about it?
Chrome was released for Windows initially :wink:
Ihsahn

Post by Ihsahn »

+1
Who knows more about electricity than the Amish?
justinufo

Post by justinufo »

Google announced plans for its Google Chrome Operating System

Google yesterday announced plans for its Google Chrome Operating System – “a natural extension of Google Chrome”. Google says that it is their attempt to re-think what operating systems should be.

Google Chrome OS is an open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks. “Later this year we will open-source its code, and netbooks running Google Chrome OS will be available for consumers in the second half of 2010,” Google said in its official blog.

“Because we're already talking to partners about the project, and we'll soon be working with the open source community, we wanted to share our vision now so everyone understands what we are trying to achieve.”

According to Google speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS. “We're designing the OS to be fast and lightweight, to start up and get you onto the web in a few seconds.”

“The user interface is minimal to stay out of your way, and most of the user experience takes place on the web. And as we did for the Google Chrome browser, we are going back to the basics and completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates. It should just work,” Google said.

Google pointed out that Chrome OS is a new project, separate from Android.
Source
shiv

Post by shiv »

I'll still use Windows, lol
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

justinufo wrote:
Google announced plans for its Google Chrome Operating System

Google yesterday announced plans for its Google Chrome Operating System – “a natural extension of Google Chrome”. Google says that it is their attempt to re-think what operating systems should be.

Google Chrome OS is an open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks. “Later this year we will open-source its code, and netbooks running Google Chrome OS will be available for consumers in the second half of 2010,” Google said in its official blog.

“Because we're already talking to partners about the project, and we'll soon be working with the open source community, we wanted to share our vision now so everyone understands what we are trying to achieve.”

According to Google speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS. “We're designing the OS to be fast and lightweight, to start up and get you onto the web in a few seconds.”

“The user interface is minimal to stay out of your way, and most of the user experience takes place on the web. And as we did for the Google Chrome browser, we are going back to the basics and completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates. It should just work,” Google said.

Google pointed out that Chrome OS is a new project, separate from Android.
Source
I predict that this will soon become a PCF Question of the Month.

DON'T QUOTE TRIBBLE!!!
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Reuters wrote:Charlene Li, partner at consulting company Altimeter Group, said Google's new system could initially appeal to consumers looking for a netbook-like device for Web surfing, rather than people who use desktop PCs for gaming or high-powered applications.
IMHO they're being daft. The only reason I and a whole gaggle of others are NOT using Linux is because of gaming. :?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey