How to boot up to UBUNTU OS?

Discussion and support for any other operating system out there.
UndaGrad

How to boot up to UBUNTU OS?

Post by UndaGrad »

Hi all,

I'm wondering whether anybody could help me out here. There's some option where I'm supposed to tick to say that whenever my PC starts up it should search all its drives for an OS. Where exactly in Windows is this? I've tried the Control Panel, but all options don't seem to work at all.

Oh, yes. I have ubuntu on a CD. I don't wanna install it: just test it a bit. It should run completely on its own. (That's what the instructions say)

So help?
Android

Post by Android »

Boot Ubuntu from the CD!!! change your boot order in your BioS, too [Boot from Cdrom]
\\\\\\\" irc.darkhaven.org.za \\\\\\\"
simmy

Post by simmy »

Make First Boot Device : CDROM

As Android said :D
M1K3

Post by M1K3 »

Agreed, I take it you have the distro with the 'Live' CD, do yourself a favour and select a decent resolution. BTW if you can spare a HDD, Install it! it's a great OS and when you install it you get alot more stuff to play around with.
UndaGrad

Post by UndaGrad »

Hi all. Thanx for the replies.
Hmm... Certainly didn't feel like Windows. Nothing on the desktop. I can customize it, but I find that I don't need to go thru any more tutorials to use it.

I've been googling around for programs that run on it. What a HUGE selection! Wow! I see that alot of new software can also be run on it.
M1K3

Post by M1K3 »

Good for u, hope u enjoy using it, if ever you need help. subscribe to CLUG-Chat or TECH. those guys are very helpful.
UndaGrad

Post by UndaGrad »

Hmm.. just wondering: how exactly do these folks make a living? I mean, I ordered the CD from them, they sent it to me free of charge. A whole OS free of charge?! They even covered the posting costs.
Hmm.. strange. I definitely wouldn't mind paying for this.
Nicoee

Post by Nicoee »

To all to-be Ubuntu users, It suckes. Its not user friendly and if u know nothing about Linex, Stay away. Ive tried it and maybe its just bad luck but twice ive lost memory(damaged). I've submit letters to them and told them that i can see why thy gave it away for free. For the advanced computer user who are used to Windows, u going to be very disappointed.
M1K3

Post by M1K3 »

Eh? what got damaged? memory? I'm very used to windows but i have a very nice firewall/fileserver set up at home using SuSe however i'm quite comfortable using Ubuntu, and as far as i'm concerned Ubuntu is very ease to use, it's up to you as to what you want it to do for you. I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but please substantiate your quibbles.
UndaGrad

Post by UndaGrad »

Hi there, me again.
Back from a great holiday in Durbs visiting my aunt.
I need assistance with this problem I have: I can't get back to Win XP again. I seem to be having the same dual booting problem as the member named 'nailed' in the Linux forum.
I've read a help article on booting up to Win XP, but can't do much about it. Lilo isn't as they say it is (missing files).
The Grub boot file is read-only.

So whenever my pc boots up, it asks me to insert the boot floppy I made, then loads up Ubuntu.
I did the custom install and didn't erase any of my Win XP data at all. I even partitioned 10GB, on another drive, for Ubuntu. (So it doesn't share the same drive as Win XP).
What's weird is that from Ubuntu I can only view, and access, the 10Gb space I partitioned it. I can't view any of my other 110Gb!
I do have the Win XP service packs 1 and 2, but I didn't back up my files before doing this. So I can't erase everything on my HDD at all.

So I'd ideally like to be able to boot up to either OS as I wish. I think Grub can do this? Or is there an easier program out there on the net I can download?
UndaGrad

Post by UndaGrad »

It's sorted.
I'm now running both OS.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

\off topic

Can you get ubuntu for free still ? From where ?

s
UndaGrad

Post by UndaGrad »

We're encouraged to distribute it to as many people as possible. So if you're in Joburg I could send you a copy (Both Live and full version). Or you could visit their main website and order there - then wait for a verrrry short period of time to get it. Only something like 5 weeks in my case :)
jockwav

net connection

Post by jockwav »

Hi i am new here,got the ubuntu linux live cd but i cant figure out how to get on the net,it all looks greek to me. :lol:
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Nicoee wrote:To all to-be Ubuntu users, It suckes. Its not user friendly and if u know nothing about Linex, Stay away. Ive tried it and maybe its just bad luck but twice ive lost memory(damaged). I've submit letters to them and told them that i can see why thy gave it away for free. For the advanced computer user who are used to Windows, u going to be very disappointed.
You are mistaken.......Ubuntu is one of the easiest distros to use, purely because of the up-to-date repositories! What do you mean you've "lost memory" when you installed it?
Personally, I use Kubuntu simply cos I prefer the KDE GUI.
If you have installed Ubuntu and are feeling a bit lost, check out The Ubuntu Starter Guide. When I switched from SuSE to Kubuntu, this guide had me up and running everything I needed within a few hours.
sojourn wrote:Can you get ubuntu for free still ? From where ?
The [/url=https://shipit.ubuntu.com/]Ubuntu Shipit Program[/url] still offers free cd's. If you prefer, you could also get Kubuntu cd's shipped to you at no cost as well. Delivery takes about 4 weeks after you place the order.
AlphA

Re: net connection

Post by AlphA »

jockwav wrote:Hi i am new here,got the ubuntu linux live cd but i cant figure out how to get on the net,it all looks greek to me. :lol:
Is the Ubuntu machine on a network or is there a modem in the machine?
jockwav

Post by jockwav »

I think i will just stick to windows,i cant even connect to net with kubuntu. :(