LIVE CD OS's? Where do I get them?

Discussion and support for any other operating system out there.
Rid1

LIVE CD OS's? Where do I get them?

Post by Rid1 »

Me again... :?
I'm looking for some live Cd's such as Knoppix! Where can i get some freeware/Open Source OS's that are easy to use...I know knoppix is easy to use, but i find it hard to setup to access my work's network, therefore I'm looking at other options! I don't mind downloading the ISO's as most of these distibuted in that way...
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Try ImpiLinux. It's a South African distro, easy to use, comes on 1 CD, and you can run it live.

http://www.impi.org.za/

[EDIT] : Why not buy this month's PC Format? There's a linux distro on there called Mandriva Linux. Its 3 ISO images. Can't comment on it though, cause I haven't used it myself.
Rid1

Post by Rid1 »

thanks...theres two files...
impi_application_cd.iso
or
impi_2005_andupdate2_fulldistro.iso
Which is the right one to D/L the first one is smaller than the second one!

:oops:
Creator wrote:Try ImpiLinux. It's a South African distro, easy to use, comes on 1 CD, and you can run it live.

http://www.impi.org.za/

[EDIT] : Why not buy this month's PC Format? There's a linux distro on there called Mandriva Linux. Its 3 ISO images. Can't comment on it though, cause I haven't used it myself.
:oops:

Only saw your edit now....

Will do so - when i get to a CNA!
Last edited by Rid1 on 10 Jul 2005, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

I'm not 100% sure, and it would be great if someone could verify this for me, but I think the first file, "impi_application_cd.iso" are various applications that you can use with Impi Linux. The second one, "impi_2005_andupdate2_fulldistro.iso", is the complete Impi 2005 distro, (hence the name 'fulldistro' - lol). So, download the second one.
Rid1

Post by Rid1 »

Its already downloading since my third post here, and its 26 MBs of 717MB done so far, do you think it'll be finishe by 3Pm?
The wonders of mozilla could help me here, cos I'll close mozilla and the download manager and it'll carry on downloading...but if the next shift restarts this PC, I lose it all as the download will then stop!
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Rid1 wrote:Its already downloading since my third post here, and its 26 MBs of 717MB done so far, do you think it'll be finishe by 3Pm?
The wonders of mozilla could help me here, cos I'll close mozilla and the download manager and it'll carry on downloading...but if the next shift restarts this PC, I lose it all as the download will then stop!

8O What internet connection do you have at your work???

Hehehehe, put an "Out of Order" sign on the monitor or something! :D It worked for me at my school! The joys of leaving a computer on for a week downloading over broadband... Pity the network administrator noticed eventually :x
Rid1

Post by Rid1 »

as i speak its on 42MBs of 717MBs...SO i duuno what connection we have :oops: !
But thats only so fast on weekends!

I cannot put an out of order sign on the PC, as this is already a PC that just came back from repairs! And there's no other PCs for the guys to use... There;s three in our office...2 people on a shift...One PC is for monitoring, the other 2 pc's are for "working!"!
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Monitoring? Monitoring what? By the way - where do u work? (actually, don't bother answering that if it's too personal...)

Why not just ask the guys on the next shift to let it carry on downloading? At the rate it's going, I highly doubt it'll be finished by 3...

[EDIT:] You've pulled 16Mb in 16Minutes, so that's 1Mb/sec = 700 minutes to download your Impi Linux = 11 hours... 8O
Last edited by Richard_ on 10 Jul 2005, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Creator wrote:Hehehehe, put an "Out of Order" sign on the monitor or something! :D It worked for me at my school! The joys of leaving a computer on for a week downloading over broadband... Pity the network administrator noticed eventually :x
ive also dun that, pity the admin caught me though
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Ja, I was nearly caught... I was rather lucky because just as the admin came storming in to check who was using that PC, I was at the photocopy machine, so lucky me...
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

Creator wrote:Ja, I was nearly caught... I was rather lucky because just as the admin came storming in to check who was using that PC, I was at the photocopy machine, so lucky me...
that is lucky
so wat did they do?
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Nothing actually. He didn't find out who it was, but I'm definitely not stupid to try downloading again... Our school rules could land me in serious k*k if I download stuff. Dumb rules...
Rid1

Post by Rid1 »

Creator wrote:Monitoring? Monitoring what? By the way - where do u work? (actually, don't bother answering that if it's too personal...)

Why not just ask the guys on the next shift to let it carry on downloading?
I monitor your internet statistics! 8O Naah, only joking...Monitor servers and backups and jobs that run on the servers...blah blah, etc!

Can't ask the next shift to let it run, they dont even know about the net access! Do you get my point?
So i'll close mozilla and see what the result is tommorow morning!
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

Rid1 wrote:I monitor your internet statistics! 8O Naah, only joking...Monitor servers and backups and jobs that run on the servers...blah blah, etc!
Lol. That's cool!
Rid1 wrote:Can't ask the next shift to let it run, they dont even know about the net access! Do you get my point?
So i'll close mozilla and see what the result is tommorow morning!
8O Oops... Anyways, here a proggie I found on Monty's site under the software section (http://www.montyrix.za.net/). Dunno if it'll work, but it's worth a try: http://www.montyrix.za.net/index_files/ ... /Magic.exe
Rid1

Post by Rid1 »

I've tried that prog before from the Motnyrix, but i cannot get it to work...anyway, Mozilla does carry on downloading after you close it, so when I come back tommorow, I'll just open the download dialog and see wether the download cancelled or finished!
BTW...its on 140MB now!
You're telling me about the montyrix??? I'm part of the montyrix, do you need to be saved???
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

Rid1 wrote:I've tried that prog before from the Motnyrix, but i cannot get it to work...anyway, Mozilla does carry on downloading after you close it, so when I come back tommorow, I'll just open the download dialog and see wether the download cancelled or finished!
BTW...its on 140MB now!
You're telling me about the montyrix??? I'm part of the montyrix, do you need to be saved???
you click start hide ands then use f9 to hide windows, f10 to unhide them, f11 to hide the app and f12 to unhide the app
Rid1

Post by Rid1 »

Does it work with win2000 or XP because on both OS I tried it, and cant get it to work! I just see the magic window with the button, click to start hiding and nothing after that at all, will try again, now that you gave the Function keys!
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

i will update the info on my site to give function keyes :oops:
Rid1

Post by Rid1 »

can't you update the prog to give the keys, or does it?
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

Rid1 wrote:can't you update the prog to give the keys, or does it?
i will but i can only put the updated version on my site next half term as i need VB to update it :(
Rid1

Post by Rid1 »

I was joking! You took me seriously!!! :oops:
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

Rid1 wrote:I was joking! You took me seriously!!! :oops:
i still need to out the function keys some were
Rid1

Post by Rid1 »

so, did you make this prog?
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

a friend and I made it
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

:oops: My bad...