Collage: before and after

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Collage: before and after

Post by StarPhoenix »

It has fallen upon me to assemble a collage out of a mass of photographs that were taken last week when our CSO committee and some volunteers repainted and plastered two rural Eastern Schools.

The person who gave me this work to do wants the collage to show the progression of the work on an A3-sized page using landscape orientation, with a few pictures at the top representing what said schools looked like before their makeover, a collection of intermediate images, and depections of the result of the painting and daubing at the bottom of the page.

I spent somewhere between 4 and 5 hours today choosing pictures, cropping and/or resizing them, adding borders [bad idea], and then trying to shoehorn The Chosen Ones into some semblance of what I was asked to do using The GIMP and Photoscape, but could not come close to producing anything satisfactory. :roll:

If you know of any free software that would make this procedure easier for me, particularly where producing the desired layout is concerned, please post your advice below.

Thank you
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Collage: before and after

Post by Tribble »

Let me look around - I used Word 2010 for my last one because you can do fancy things to the borders of the photo. But it doesn't have a set layout though.
ghett0_ghuru
Processor: Intel Core2 duo E6320
Motherboard: Nvidia MCP73
Graphics card: ancient
Memory: not enough

Post by ghett0_ghuru »

which version of GIMP ? have you tried GIMPshop? and what distro of Linux are you using?
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

At work, so running it on my work computer. [Windows XP, Intel Core E6320, 512Mb RAM. Yes, I know.... :roll: ]

Gimp for Windows 2.8.6.

No reason to use Gimpshop...I see that as something for people who are accustomed to THe Photoshop Way, and LIKE them floating toolboxes. :-)
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot