my first 3d rendering in photoshop cs5

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
Sojourn

Re: my first 3d rendering in photoshop cs5

Post by Sojourn »

Just to underscore what the dog said - Maya was used to create Shrek.
Not stuff for the feint of heart (or toe-dippers)... is also extremely costly.

On that point... do you even get able freeware/open source software, if you want to design decent images with competing features?
reyals

Post by reyals »

Sojourn wrote:On that point... do you even get able freeware/open source software, if you want to design decent images with competing features?
I don't know of any, I prefer to stick to the tried, tested and expensive ;)
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Sojourn wrote:do you even get able freeware/open source software
blender. without hesitation... .the gui is cluttered like a crackhead's brain but it is as feature rich as any pay-for on the market...

the other one which was eluding me is amorphium - which was accessible even to the complete newblet, but it appears to have "morphed" into EIAS.. :?
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

I took the plunge and got Blender... whoa.
Look, I can photoshop stuff in an amateurish way that will pass scrutiny after a beer or two, but I was unable to find basic editing tools in that software. Tried opening an existing jpg but it moaned at me wanting the blender format?

I'll just stick to photoshop :P
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

:lol: blender!=photoshop... blender==3d modeling and animation studio.... the only way in which it opens jpegs is as a texture...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

You should put a frog in a blender. That's something that even Photoshop cannot quite realistically mimic.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

rustypup wrote::lol: blender!=photoshop... blender==3d modeling and animation studio.... the only way in which it opens jpegs is as a texture...
ai tog.
Mayhaps I should read up on the ingredients before baking frogs after trying to blend them. :?
madmind
Location: Take the red pill, and i'll show you how deep the rabbit hole goes...

Post by madmind »

reyals wrote:@ madmind, I've been busy with it on and off for about 3 weeks, some of the days my pc just stood there without being touched for whole days at a time while it rendered.
ps takes damn long to render, and its modelling is fairly limited, but it was fun to see how far it can be pushed. its easier to use than most 3d packages though.
Nice man, i know what you mean about the insane amount of time the rendering takes... i played around with some renders on Illustrator, after going all night i just gave up and abandoned it

Gigabyte G31 S3 (Intel 945)|Intel C2D E8600 3.3Ghz| 3Gb DDR2800 |Nvidia Geforce 9500GT 1Gb | 2.5TB Storage | RaidMax Quantum | GPowerII CPU Cooler | Thermaltake PurePower 600W PSU |
LGW2343 23" HD 1080p | Logitech EX100 Cordless Desktop | Logitech Momo Wheel | Divoom Revo5 2.1 | WinfastTV200XP MCE |
Windows 7 Ultimate | Adobe CS4

click here for my photography blog
reyals

Post by reyals »

yip, thus the "exercise in futility"

but I reckoned I'll stick through it. another sucky thing is that if you click in the viewport, it cancels rendering, thus for those days it rendered, I unplugged my keyboard and mouse(learnt that after my cat cancelled a 4 hour render ;) )
cool thing is that it gave me the courage to take on 3ds max, a lot more complicated, but a wealth of possibility.
madmind
Location: Take the red pill, and i'll show you how deep the rabbit hole goes...

Post by madmind »

I must be honest, 3D is quite scary.. i'm just getting to grips with 2D, but i'll keep at it and see how it goes. I watched a clip at "indesigner.com" about the new Indesign CS5, is there any 3d capability in there yet?

I've seen some 3Ds Max work, impressive to say the least

Gigabyte G31 S3 (Intel 945)|Intel C2D E8600 3.3Ghz| 3Gb DDR2800 |Nvidia Geforce 9500GT 1Gb | 2.5TB Storage | RaidMax Quantum | GPowerII CPU Cooler | Thermaltake PurePower 600W PSU |
LGW2343 23" HD 1080p | Logitech EX100 Cordless Desktop | Logitech Momo Wheel | Divoom Revo5 2.1 | WinfastTV200XP MCE |
Windows 7 Ultimate | Adobe CS4

click here for my photography blog
reyals

Post by reyals »

indesign doesn't have 3d. it does however tie in nicely with flash catalyst and you can create websites directly from your print design work.
as far as scary things go, there only one method of learning and that is by doing.
i became a bit of a hermit since i got cs5, but its worth it. you should check out flash cs5 as well, its also a program that seemed scary, but cs5 actually made it very intuitive.

my hat is truly and completely off to adobe for the new creative suite.