3D Max creature creation help.

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
NealeDeadlyAlien
Registered Bush Snake Facehugger

3D Max creature creation help.

Post by NealeDeadlyAlien »

Hi there.

Ok, here is the problem.

I need to create a Hybrid type creature for a university project in 3D Max. I am looking for some tutorials on the basic or how to get started, I have managed to find one but the person didn't really explain it in detail.

How would I start this creation off? Could I actually scan the creation I drew into 3D Max and continue from there so that the actual model is done and all I need to do is render it abit and so fourth?

I really need help with this as I am pulling my hair out.

Much appreciated.
Neale.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 3D Max creature creation help.

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

The best way would be to sketch the creature out, scan it and import a front and side view onto two image planes within 3dsmax. Then you start modelling the basic shape of the creature by extruding \ moving polygons and vertices from primitives and add more detail as you progress.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Well using the drawing tool and nurbs to mesh work better for me
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
NealeDeadlyAlien

@Onlyone. Thanks for the advice, now when you say import a front and side view, does that mean I have to sketch both front and side view of the actual creature?

Sorry I am very new to this but I presume that when I import the drawing into 3D Max, it will appear as a normal textureless outline of the creature, obviously to correct the outline, add in detail etc.. I need to go into wire frame? Is there any tutorial that shows how to do this?

@Wizard, sorry mate but I haven't got a clue what you're saying there :P
NealeDeadlyAlien

I have also just gone onto http://www.Kalahari.net and I found quite a few books regarding 3DS Max. Could you maybe show me which book is best to get.

Ok I found this one, perhaps I should buy it. http://www.kalahari.net/books/Introduci ... 56666.aspx
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

NealeDeadlyAlien wrote:@Onlyone. Thanks for the advice, now when you say import a front and side view, does that mean I have to sketch both front and side view of the actual creature?

Sorry I am very new to this but I presume that when I import the drawing into 3D Max, it will appear as a normal textureless outline of the creature, obviously to correct the outline, add in detail etc.. I need to go into wire frame? Is there any tutorial that shows how to do this?

@Wizard, sorry mate but I haven't got a clue what you're saying there :P
Lol don't blame u not to worry you will get there.If however I can make a suggestion search youtube for video tutorials much much better than a book seeing is better than reading for stuff like this, a book is just to keep and around for reference....
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
NealeDeadlyAlien

Thanks Wizard, however I'm sorry to say but I have watched quite a few tutorials and I get disappointed every time.

Reason being is that, these guys go so fast that you can't see what he is doing, half the time he is using short cut keys which is not very helpful if you're new and don't know what the keys are etc.. I prefer a typed out tutorial with pictures demonstrating what to do and where to go.

I tried it a year and a half ago when I was new to Photoshop and watching tutorials got me nowhere, so I eventually started searching for well illustrated type out tutorials with pictures and because of some useful tutorials, I can do some reasonable concept art but I still need a few techniques to help me improve. ;)

So yeah! 3D Max is a new cattle of fish to me and sometimes using this program, I feel like I am building a component for the international space station, its so complicated :P

Thanks for the encouragement though, I am sure I'll get there eventually. :)

WTH is a cattle of fish? - The Rat
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

maybe have a look at this 1:

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/ma ... anmenu.php

modelling from a sketch will be difficult if you have no/little 3DSM knowledge.
even more so if you cannot/haven't produced a sketch with proper front/side/rear views.
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G