Rate my new company logo

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Rate my new company logo

Post by KALSTER »

It took me a while to come up with it, but in the end I went with a very simple design. I just chose two different fonts and applied a lens flare effect to it in Corel PhotoPaint.

The reason I made it so simple is because I think it stands out more and would also still look relatively unchanged when printed in black and white. What do you guys think?

I would appreciate any comments and/or advice. :wink:

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: Rate my new company logo

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I'm going to be dead honest now, since this is for your company and all.

I don't like it. All the little glares and bright things make it more difficult to read, and if you take those things away (which you should), you're left with rather bland text. You might want to find another font for your text. You might also want to make some kind of a logo (image). Also, I'd drop the "computers" part from the name too and just call it Kalster. No need for the computers word to be there. Edgars isn't called "Edgars clothing", Spar isn't called "Spar Groceries". See what I mean?

This is just my opinion though. Many people here might disagree with me, but this is what I feel :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Thanks for the input DJV.
Also, I'd drop the "computers" part from the name too and just call it Kalster. No need for the computers word to be there. Edgars isn't called "Edgars clothing", Spar isn't called "Spar Groceries". See what I mean?
Not sure about this. People don't generally know me as KALSTER and they would have no way of knowing what to associate with the name without the "Computers" qualifier attached to it. I won't have a store front or any kind of signage, so I think the qualifier becomes important so people know what I offer, especially in the early days. Besides, I have already registered with my suppliers with that name etc.
I don't like it. All the little glares and bright things make it more difficult to read, and if you take those things away (which you should), you're left with rather bland text. You might want to find another font for your text. You might also want to make some kind of a logo (image).
You find it difficult to read? I think the effect will be less pronounced when the logo is smaller, which it would usually be, like so:

Also, I do have a masked version that I can use on coloured backgrounds for fliers and adverts in newspapers and such. In these cases the flare effect is much reduced. I do understand what you mean though and I have been thinking about making a short hand graphical logo, like a superimposed K and C or something with a bit more character, something recognizable. I don't want fonts that are too frilly and haven't really found anything that would make it look professional, attention grabbing and easily readable. I am still looking around though.

Thanks fro your input DJV. :wink:
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

BTW guys, don't worry about hurting my feelings. Blast away. I think it is obvious I don't have a particularly amazing design talent judging from the Kalster Computers logo and the one in my sig. Constructive criticism is always a good thing.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

I also don't like the flare. In general less is more, but in this case less is too little.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Drop the flare completely. Its a little tacky to be dead honest.

The font used for computers should also be more simple. Something like Helvetica will be perfect.

Then adjust the letterspacing so its the same width as the top bit. Should tie everything together nicely.

Try to keep the space between KALSTER and COMPUTERS the same as the space between the letters of KALSTER.
M1ke

Post by M1ke »

I agree with everyone else, drop the flare.
Also, imagine printing the logo in black and white, it'll look like the printer ran out of ink (AKA, stay away from gradients).

The "Computer" typeface isn't well-suited either, it looks like a geometric Lucida Console, try something that matches the KALSTER more (like Maxxis suggested, give Helvetica a try, at the expensive of being slightly unoriginal).
"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

Drop the flare and maybe add your website's URL? (if you have one)
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Guys, thanks for all your comments and suggestions! I really appreciate it.

It seems that you all are in agreement that I should get rid of the flare alltogether, but think it will just be too bland then. What I might do is lessen the effect a bit and move the "Computers" bit to the right, like so (haven't reduced the flare effect yet):

I don't know, I kind of like the font for "Computers". I think it fits with the word "Computers", no?

wit_skapie, I hope to do that before the end of the year. We'll see how things progress. I already have the capacity for easily sending items all over SA, in fact its easier for me that way.

Thanks again guys!
Mykhal

Post by Mykhal »

KALSTER wrote: Image

I don't know, I kind of like the font for "Computers". I think it fits with the word "Computers", no?
I agree about the font for the word "Computers" Maybe you can change you name "Kalster" to the same font, just bold? (the same font - to keep continuity!)
Dual Core E2140@1.6GHz, 2 Gig Ram, 500 Gig Samsung HD, 80 Gig Maxtor, Geforce 7300se :oops:
Thanx Ama :notworthy:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

I still dont like the lense flare :(.

+1 To what maxxis said, here's an idea why not make 2 logo's? One with flare and one without just so that we can see what the one without looks like, maybe then we would all agree with you? :)
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Here is the original without the flare. :?

Edit: Woah, I hope the auto resize works for everyone?

Last edited by KALSTER on 12 Jan 2010, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

You need some pizza...

Or maybe even some pizzaz.

What everyone has been trying to tell you is that it's about as unexciting as an unelevated brick.
Lense flares went out with the first Star Trek.

Sorry, but I honestly think you need to start from scratch...
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Give me 15 minutes.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Something like that
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

That looks great! I see what you mean now. What software did you use? How lame does my logo look next to that!
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

maxxis, :thumbup:
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Wow that does look great
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I think it needs a lense flare.

*runs*
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Was done in Photoshop

Top font is Ethnocentric
Bottom is GillSans

I can email you the PSD. PM me your email addy.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Thanks to maxxis for your effort man! I really appreciate it.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Ok, first, a joke:

Next, a few minor re-workings of maxxis' original.

and his original:

Image.

This will be the last time I will post and ask about this, as I can imagine you guys might be getting a bit exasperated by my total noobness and lack of ability. I completely understand and would feel the same.

So, what do you guys think? I am still leaning towards maxxis' original, but the blue one is a close second and the red textured one a close third. I appreciate any comments, including ones highlighting my lack of imagination and decisiveness.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Maxxis Original is the best

The 2-tone makes it seem as though Kalster is made up of 2 words and is read as Kal-Ster (Afrikaans astronamy club maybe? hmmmm)
Your other 2 are nice but the textures are too dominant. Remember if your business goes well, you'll be printing signs, business cards, brochures etc. Don't want them to come out less than what the original looks like.

Just stick to a simple rule for designing logos. KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid.

P.S. forget lense flares exist.......please!
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

To add what Synth said. Maybe be careful with using textured logos. If one day you going to expand your marketing by having signage made, then textured logos would need to be digitally printed which tend to fade over time. Also they can be much more expensive to produce.

My 5c :wink:

PS: Is "Kalster" your surname?
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

P.S. forget lense flares exist.......please!
I have, it was just a joke. It is the design equivalent of the robot dance. :wink:
PS: Is "Kalster" your surname?
No, it is a corruption of my first name, Kallie. Even I know that KALSTER Computers sounds better than "Kallie se Compers" or similar. :)

Right, it is settled then. Thanks for the good advice guys. Maxxis is the man!