Photoshop help needed.

Show off your design skills or get some advice from the pros.
NealeDeadlyAlien
Registered Bush Snake Facehugger

Photoshop help needed.

Post by NealeDeadlyAlien »

Well I have unfortunately got to the stage where I am now getting frustrated.

Ok the problem I am having is that I am uploading sketches I do on my sketch pad and they range from various art such as a Dragon for example, reason why I do this as my Graphics Tablet is rather rubbish so I sketch it on a pad.

Now I have searched and watched and even bought tutorials explaning to me on how to grasp the concept of creating a background and understanding Layers but to no avail I still do not understand at all.

I want to upload my line art on to photoshop and now the first thing I do is duplicate the background as the upload background of the sketch is locked which I assume duplicating it would be the best thing to do, now this is where I get lost I have absolutely no clue on how to utilise the brushes and I want to do this background underneath the sketch not over it. So what do I do and with creating new layers, I understand it is to add new stuff to the drawing or new objects and then and copying the layers just incase you make a mistake and somewhere along the line you have to merge it but I still don't understand that as the drawing still looks the same.

I have absolute no clue on how to actually do the colours properly as when I colour or try to is still sticks out the line of the character etc..

So basicly I don't understand how to do a concept background without messing up the drawing and have absolute no clue how to utilise the brushes with the right colour and of course the whole layer concept is rather frustrating to understand.

Any help would be appreciated even if someone knows a really good tutorial explaning this but please no video tutorials as those guys go so damn fast and constantly using the shortcut keys you have absolute no clue what is going on.
This is somewhat difficult to explain but hopefully I didn't make it too complicated.

Regards
Neale.

*Regards to my 3D Galaxy thing I did, well that was totally different to what I am trying to do here*
Off-The-Chart

Re: Photoshop help needed.

Post by Off-The-Chart »

k so let's see - you draw a ie Dragon on a pad and then upload into PS.

k as I have never done an "Acquire Image" in PS I am going to be assuming that your sketch is on your pc in JPG format.

now when you in PS and you open your image, as you say your 1 layer you have will be locked. all you need to do is double click the layer to unlock it, but your duplicate way is fine.

k so let us begin:
1 - you open your image and unlock the layer. see below as to how your "Layer Palette" will look.
Step 1a
Step 1b

** as you say, making a duplicate is always good as you do not mess up your original, but in this case you want to make a bg for your dragon so we can leave that for now. **

2 - create a new layer and as you create it, you will see it creates a layer above your original image layer. since you want to make a bg we will move the new layer to the back by clicking and dragging the layer to the bottom.
Step 2a
Step 2b

** these will be your basics on working with layers. remember if you want something "behind" your main character/object always make sure it is on a layer "below" the characters/objects layer. refer to the Step 2 images. **

HIDING A LAYER:
To hide a layer you merely click on the little EYE next to the layer in the "Layer Palette".
Here I have colored my bg layer with a simple black, yet my image stays unchanged. Hiding 1a
Here I have clicked the EYE and now my "Layer Palette" looks like this. Hiding 1b
Here is the outcome. Hiding 1c

are these simple enough to follow? I hope they help as I merely did the simple things. if you would like some more help just shout and even if I do not know the answer, I will surely try to help.
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

if you want me to do ones of how to do the most basic stuff regarding brushes and color just shout. it will be a pleasure to lend a hand.
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
Prime

Post by Prime »

Otherwise, you could copy and paste your image into a new layer in a new image file. As synth said, moving the order of the layers changes the position.

its like having a whole lot of sheets of clear plastic. If you put them on top of each other, you see the whole image, but you can move them relative to each other and not alter/mess up the whole drawing or original image. I'm not hundreds on photoshop-i use other programs for imaging- but i'd assume that if you save the image into a standard format, it will also merge the layers in the order they are like paint.net does.

Merging layers is like taking your drawing on those sheets of clear plastic and photocopying them as a single stack.
NealeDeadlyAlien

Thanks guys for the help.

I will give it a try again and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again ;)
NealeDeadlyAlien

Off-The-Chart

Thanks alot, your instructions are helpful, I will give it agao again, the problem I have mostly is creating a background etc but now I know how to do it behind the character ;)