The Cricket Thread

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Stuart »

Australia opener David Warner believes the Proteas deliberately "worked on the ball" to generate reverse swing
Yes, that's how one achieves reverse swing--by working the ball. :roll:

Rubbing the ball with the keeper's glove? This is now cheating? Perhaps AB should keep without gloves.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

No glove, no love
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

So... SA wins the toss, bats first, scores 500 with a big 100 from Smith and then Steyn and co. run through the Aussie line-up. Who's with me?! hamin? ;)
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Mystical_Titan wrote:So... SA wins the toss, bats first, scores 500 with a big 100 from Smith and then Steyn and co. run through the Aussie line-up. Who's with me?! hamin? ;)
Sure buddy, I'd love to see SA win a toss, make the right call and then have Smith come to the party with the bat.

Sign me up!
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

cricinfo wrote:David Warner, the Australia opener, has been fined for his suggestion that South Africa's burst of reverse swing to win the Port Elizabeth Test was achieved by suspicious means.
Lulz!

Although . . .
Harris spoke for the majority of his team-mates in asserting that none of de Villiers, Dale Steyn or any other member f the team did anything untoward in Pott Elizabeth.
Pott Elizabeth? Nice backhand there, Mr. Harris! :lol:
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Davey Crooked.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I see they did not approve my lulz comment at "Pott Elizabeth" and instead corrected it. :(
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Does anyone else think that fining a player match fees is entirely useless these days? Fining someone like David Warner, who plays in the IPL, $ 2880 is completely pointless and very silly. They really need to come up with more severe punishments.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Mystical_Titan wrote:Does anyone else think that fining a player match fees is entirely useless these days? Fining someone like David Warner, who plays in the IPL, $ 2880 is completely pointless and very silly. They really need to come up with more severe punishments.
Agreed completely. And they always make a big deal like "the player didn't contest the fine." No kidding!
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Mystical_Titan wrote:$ 2880
That's about R30000 - still a lot of money even in Aus.

What kind of fine were you expecting to see :?:

It's not the sum of the fine but the fact they meted disciplinary action without the South African camp having to ask for it that should be the focus here - and a positive one at that

It's Warners first infringement (this time round) so I'm inclined to think its just to caution him against further outbursts. Also, now that the actual match is over there is only so much the match referee could do unilaterally.

Any more and they would have to convene a tribunal or whatever they do and that would be overkill for one idiot shooting his mouth off
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

hamin_aus wrote:
Mystical_Titan wrote:$ 2880
That's about R30000 - still a lot of money even in Aus.

What kind of fine were you expecting to see :?:

It's not the sum of the fine but the fact they meted disciplinary action without the South African camp having to ask for it that should be the focus here - and a positive one at that

It's Warners first infringement (this time round) so I'm inclined to think its just to caution him against further outbursts. Also, now that the actual match is over there is only so much the match referee could do unilaterally.

Any more and they would have to convene a tribunal or whatever they do and that would be overkill for one idiot shooting his mouth off
My point is that the monetary fine does nothing, since they do not feel its impact. How much money do you think Warner has made from playing cricket, including the IPL? I'm sure he gives out more than that amount in an afternoon at the mall. Unless their own boards punish them further, which never happens, there is no real incentive to not do it again.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Mystical_Titan wrote:My point is that the monetary fine does nothing
A R300 speeding fine is less money than you would probably spend on an average shopping trip - does that mean you don't slow down when you know there are speed cameras?
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

hamin_aus wrote:
Mystical_Titan wrote:My point is that the monetary fine does nothing
A R300 speeding fine is less money than you would probably spend on an average shopping trip - does that mean you don't slow down when you know there are speed cameras?
I will slow down if I know there are speeding cameras, but even that probably wouldn't deter me from speeding again the next time. I'd be much more hesitant about speeding if I spent a night or two in jail, instead of paying R 300.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

And then they wonder why world cricket is going the way it is... *face palm*

50% for wrong laces but 15% for outburst, asks Boucher
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So two comments from yesterday:

1. The positivity with which Australia plays always impresses me. I doubt you'll ever see a test innings in which South Africa hits seven sixes. The Australian mindset is seriously impressive.
2. SA really needs a frontline spinner.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Judging from what happened yesterday, I am hoping for more rain.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

SA also needs a front line opener... <_<

He has not scored well for the last couple of games and it is really starting to hurt us. If we don't get a rained out draw I reckon we can expect a loss here...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

meh Looks like we need a whole new opening line up... <_< Anyone who is watching, did the rain change the make up of the pitch that badly? I am struggling to see how it was a batters wicket two days ago and it has turned into a bowlers wicket now. Or are we that badly exposed when Steyn is injured?

I will give Elgar the benefit of the doubt purely because he is new to this line of action but Smith & Peterson? *shakes head*
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Stuart wrote:So two comments from yesterday:

1. The positivity with which Australia plays always impresses me. I doubt you'll ever see a test innings in which South Africa hits seven sixes. The Australian mindset is seriously impressive.
2. SA really needs a frontline spinner.
1 - I 100% agree and I wish SA would play with the same aggression.

2 - Please show me when was the last time a South African spinner took 4 for 74 in the first innings of a test on a flat pitch. I think Duminy is doing well and Elgar is giving him good support.

Speaking about the very flat pitch, does anyone else get the feeling that South Africa asked for a very flat pitch so that they could bat their way out of trouble if the **** hit the fan? 'Cause as far as my knowledge goes, the home team's captain and coach usually have some input as to what happens with the pitch.

I am very quickly developing a serious dislike of Russell Domingo, he reeks of being conservative. Can we get Ray Jennings in there please?!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

:(
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Mystical_Titan wrote:2 - Please show me when was the last time a South African spinner took 4 for 74 in the first innings of a test on a flat pitch. I think Duminy is doing well and Elgar is giving him good support.
Let's be honest here, those wickets were not taken by Duminy as much as they were given by the Aussies. Almost every wicket was taken due to an overly aggressive shot being played. Even Robin Peterson can take wickets when the batsmen are deliberately going after him.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Stuart wrote:Even Robin Peterson can take wickets when the batsmen are deliberately going after him.
No, he can't. That's how much he sucks. :lol:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

41 to avoid follow on... With 8 wickets down...
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Anakha56 wrote:41 to avoid follow on... With 8 wickets down...
Scrape our way to 300 and then bowl them out for 47 again? :|
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Very hopeful...

I said this in the first game and have said it many times in the past, but why don't we send our bowlers in as openers on wickets like this? Steyn has just put Smith & Peterson to shame and he is drugged to high heaven just to bat... Or maybe Smith needs to break a finger again...