The Cricket Thread

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by KALSTER »

Anakha56 wrote:Very hopeful...

I said this in the first game and have said it many times in the past, but why don't we send our bowlers in as openers on wickets like this? Steyn has just put Smith & Peterson to shame and he is drugged to high heaven just to bat... Or maybe Smith needs to break a finger again...
You might end up with two real batsmen batting at 10 and 11 and then one getting out. You'll be wasting a batsmen.

Anye\way, we got close to 300. I would be amazed if we got them out for less than 200 with Steyn not bowling. We'll have to try and bat this out, but Australia is looking good for the win if there isn't any more rain to come.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://mg.co.za/article/2014-03-03-prot ... l-cricket/
Proteas Test captain Graeme Smith quits international cricket
03 MAR 2014 23:41 SAPA

Smith broke the news to his team-mates after close of play on Monday, CSA said in a statement.

"This has been the most difficult decision I have ever had to make in my life," Smith said.

"It's a decision that I have been considering since my ankle surgery in April last year.

"I have a young family to consider, and I felt that retiring at Newlands would be the best way to end it because I have called this place home since I was 18 years old."

Smith made his first-class debut for South Africa at the age of 21, and ends his illustrious career with 17 228 International runs and as the most capped Test captain in the history of the game.

"I have always been someone who has left everything out there on the field for my team and for my country," he said.

"I'm extremely honoured and proud to have had the privilege to lead so many wonderful players and to have been a part of building the Proteas culture to what it is today.

"It is a culture that every player can be, and is, immensely proud of."

CSA reacted with surprise to Smith's decision, however, chief executive Haroon Lorgat was full of praise for the player's contribution to cricket in the country.

Thank you for your services Smith.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

:-(

Graeme Smith, salute!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Old Daryl Cullinan thinks Morkel is a fine attack dog but no sniper:

http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/201 ... -no-sniper
Morkel a fine attack dog but no sniper
Daryl Cullinan | 04 March, 2014 00:03

Fast bowlers are often spoken of like front-rankers in rugby. All brawn and no brains.

I can't speak for the latter, but the best fast bowlers I have played with and against were intelligent and observant.

They knew when to turn it on and when not to, and when it would bring them rewards or not. Most importantly, they knew how to work batsmen out and set them up for the killer blow. This takes me to the point of this column.

Watching Morné Morkel bowl to Michael Clarke on Saturday was an example of how quick bowlers can give batsmen a good working over.

But it also showed what poor thinkers they can be.

Morkel was fearsome and unrelenting in his head-hunting. But that's all he was. He never took it a step further.

He was like a battering ram, predictable and monotonous. There was no full ball, yorker or slower ball. It was like watching "stampkar" rugby at its best.

It can work against timid opposition, but when met with resilience and skill, there is only one winner - and this time it was in the form of Clarke, who went on to complete a fine hundred.

He survived a torrid time, and, in a strange way, was shaken into form and the often-forgotten skill of watching the ball out the bowler's hand. An opportunity went missing for Morkel, for a batsman out of form least wants his footwork and judgment tested when he first comes to the crease. He also wants to play as little as possible at the start of his innings.

Though it was very uncomfortable for Clarke, this is exactly what Morkel did for him. Morkel is no newcomer when it comes to Test cricket.

He has all the attributes to be a great. But right now "stampkar" bowling and thinking may mean he will sadly never realise his full potential. He needs to learn quicker and think like a batsman.
Quoted the whole article. I kinda agree with him to be honest. If Morkel would just sneak a few low balls in he will increase his chances of getting a wicket. It's the reason why Johnson is more successful, he bowls to hit you and when you least expect it he bowls to get you out and nine times out of ten he gets you out.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Agreed 100%.

Now all we need to do is wait for Morkel to retire and start commentating for SABC and talking about how monotonous the then-bowlers are and wondering why they don't sneak in yorkers and slow balls.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

ROFL! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-afric ... 25147.html

As a batsman, he was cussed, dangerous, ugly and skilful, a master of the crux of a match. Yes, he batted with the elegance and refinement of a motorway pile-up. Aesthetically, for what that is worth, he was a Frankenstein's Kirsten. But in terms of his transformatory impact on matches and series, he has been one of the great Test batsmen of the 21st century.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Something for MT ;)

http://www.2oceansvibe.com/2014/03/04/i ... tin-nurse/
“I Am Biff”: You Have To Read This Graeme Smith Tribute By Justin Nurse
04 Mar 2014 by silverstreak in Cricket

This guest post is written by Justin Nurse of Laugh It Off, who made a name for himself selling t-shirts and litigating corporates.

It’s a well-kept secret (until now) that the Proteas train at Transfit Gym in Claremont. That’s where you’ll also find Southern Suburbs illuminati such as Richard Neville and Phil Venter working out to the gee-up shouts of Transfit founders Simon Schoon and Jonno Meintjies.

I see them all come and go as I swim in the pool below. Swimming is my form of meditation, along with test cricket. Which is why I care when I see Graeme Smith or Dale Steyn on the treadmill – it’s good to know that they’re getting battle-ready. As am I. I work very hard to pay the bond, pay the school fees, pay the man. Two hours a week I get to swim at six in the morning and forget about that all, and I similarly tune out when the Proteas are playing the five-day game.

Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Anakha56 wrote:Something for MT ;)
Thanks. :)

I'm doubly bummed now at not having made it to Newlands. :cry:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Went back 2 pages and read posts.... lulz
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

It sure says a lot when someone like Gary Kirsten rates Smith the best captain he played under, even though they only played a few tests together. I really enjoyed reading this.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/co ... 26079.html
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Read the comments section of that article
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Yeah, and? I have my opinion, that guy has his.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

People who only look at numbers in cricket can't see the bigger picture to begin with.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

And fans who put their favorite player on pedestals do?

Opinions are subjective, numbers are not
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

hamin_aus wrote:And fans who put their favorite player on pedestals do?

Okay, then kindly tell me the following:

- How many times did Cronjé win a world cup?
- How many times did he beat the English on home soil?
- How many times did he beat Australia on home soil?
- Did he captain for over 10 years and average almost 50 while opening the batting in all kinds of conditions?
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Mystical_Titan wrote:
hamin_aus wrote:And fans who put their favorite player on pedestals do?

Okay, then kindly tell me the following:

- How many times did Cronjé win a world cup?
- How many times did he beat the English on home soil?
- How many times did he beat Australia on home soil?
- Did he captain for over 10 years and average almost 50 while opening the batting in all kinds of conditions?
- Did he ever date Minki?
Completed that for you... :whistling:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

doo_much wrote:
- Did he ever date Minki?
Completed that for you... :whistling:
:P :D :lol:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Your only valid point, aside from the Minki one which wasn't even yours was his batting average.
He was the most successful batsman ever to captain South Africa

You can practice pendantism all you want, but overall Hansie had a better win rate against those sides in an era of cricket dominated by Australia and where the teams you mentioned were actually stronger cricketing outfits than they are now.

Not that I hold Hansie in as high regard as you hold Smith... I'm certainly not white-knighting for him, just pointing out that the numbers don't support your assertions
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

hamin_aus wrote:Your only valid point, aside from the Minki one which wasn't even yours was his batting average.
He was the most successful batsman ever to captain South Africa

You can practice pendantism all you want, but overall Hansie had a better win rate against those sides in an era of cricket dominated by Australia and where the teams you mentioned were actually stronger cricketing outfits than they are now.

Not that I hold Hansie in as high regard as you hold Smith... I'm certainly not white-knighting for him, just pointing out that the numbers don't support your assertions
Would it then be a fair assessment that each was the best possible captain for their team in the era they played in?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

That is an interesting idea, I'd have to say in honesty Smith was better for SA cricket than Hansie by a mile no matter what era we are talking about

With hindsight being 20/20 I don't think any South African would want Hansie anywhere near SA cricket post 1996.

I always maintained Smith should never have captained - but if they did make him patain it shoulf have been 4 or 5 years into his international career. He started too young and wasn't given the chance to mature naturally.

I think if he just played as a batsman he would have been absolutely prolific. On par or better than Kallis.

I think he did a more than adequate job as captain, he was a world class. I just don't think he was AS good as he is being made out. I'm only tossing Hansie in because despite all his shenanigans he captained a side that on paper did better. And at no point in his career, pre or post match fixing, was he ever hailed as extraordinary.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

hamin_aus wrote:That is an interesting idea, I'd have to say in honesty Smith was better for SA cricket than Hansie by a mile no matter what era we are talking about

With hindsight being 20/20 I don't think any South African would want Hansie anywhere near SA cricket post 1996.

I always maintained Smith should never have captained - but if they did make him patain it shoulf have been 4 or 5 years into his international career. He started too young and wasn't given the chance to mature naturally.

I think if he just played as a batsman he would have been absolutely prolific. On par or better than Kallis.

I think he did a more than adequate job as captain, he was a world class. I just don't think he was AS good as he is being made out. I'm only tossing Hansie in because despite all his shenanigans he captained a side that on paper did better. And at no point in his career, pre or post match fixing, was he ever hailed as extraordinary.
Hansie wasn't a captain, he was a leader and that's what made him so successful. Likewise with Smith. He led by example, the best way to lead. Perhaps from a tactical point of view he wasn't up there with some of the other captains cricket has seen, but from a leadership point of view he was second-to-none.

I'm honestly surprised that Smith captained as long as he did. Not because he was bad, but because of the South African sports disease of throwing people away if they don't perform right away. He definitely shouldn't have been captain as early as he was, but once he wasn't so raw and a little more 'cooked', he definitely went to the next level.

I'm suddenly struck by the thought that if not for the Hansie saga, Smith may not have been as successful as he was.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Mystical_Titan wrote:He definitely shouldn't have been captain as early as he was
But who would have captained if he didn't? He came in when a major shakeup was needed. Pollock was a pretty woeful captain in many respects. We needed someone who was a little more positive at that stage, and I'm not sure any of the established players at the time had what it took. Smith certainly showed some inexperience early on, but I'm not sure there was anyone better suited for the job at the time.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Stuart wrote:
Mystical_Titan wrote:He definitely shouldn't have been captain as early as he was
But who would have captained if he didn't? He came in when a major shakeup was needed. Pollock was a pretty woeful captain in many respects. We needed someone who was a little more positive at that stage, and I'm not sure any of the established players at the time had what it took. Smith certainly showed some inexperience early on, but I'm not sure there was anyone better suited for the job at the time.
Personally, I think they threw out Pollock too soon. Sure, he was not as adventurous as Hansie or Graeme, but as Hansie's lieutenant for so long, the match-fixing scandal would have hit him a lot harder than many others, so that would certainly have had an impact on the kind of captain he was. I think he did the best he could at the time.

Pollock as captain:

ODI wins: 60 out of 97 = 61.86%
Test wins: 14 out of 26 = 53.85%

Smith as captain:

ODI wins: 92 out of 150 = 61.33%
Test wins: 53 out of 109 = 48.62%

They could even have considered a split captaincy for the first few years, like many other countries have done: Waugh / Ponting, Hussain / Vaughn, etc.