The Cricket Thread

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Stuart »

That was a fairly fun game to watch last night. When SA hit 80 the SABC commentators were going on about how tough a target that would prove for the Australians. I immediately said to my wife that it's 10 runs short for Australia.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Stuart wrote:That was a fairly fun game to watch last night. When SA hit 80 the SABC commentators were going on about how tough a target that would prove for the Australians. I immediately said to my wife that it's 10 runs short for Australia.
Such a shrewd cricket brain you have. :P

I was a bit miffed, but honestly I can see they are experimenting for the WC. The new guy doesn't need to go. Maybe next time.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

KALSTER wrote:
Stuart wrote:That was a fairly fun game to watch last night. When SA hit 80 the SABC commentators were going on about how tough a target that would prove for the Australians. I immediately said to my wife that it's 10 runs short for Australia.
Such a shrewd cricket brain you have. :P

I was a bit miffed, but honestly I can see they are experimenting for the WC. The new guy doesn't need to go. Maybe next time.
I was a little miffed that Tsotsobe didn't change things up a little in that first over. He seemed clueless as what to do. That really killed us.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Ha, yes. I was watching on Skysports and the commentator said he has no idea how Tsotsobe ever got to the top of the ODI rankings in the past.

Sucks that Parnell bowled such a great first over and then a crappy last one. We should have won. Would have loved to see Albie have at it for a change though.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Three things for me:

One - With the greatest respect to Amla and the player he is, he should never even have made it to the crease. Miller should have opened with De Kock with Morkel coming in at three and then Faf and so on.

Two - Tsotsobe's first over was unbelievably poor, but the disappointing part was how he made absolutely ZERO effort to actually try something different.

"I've just been hammered off a length, but I'm sure they can't do that for the other 5 balls as well, so let's keep it there."

Three - I wonder what that commentator was smoking, 'cause it must be some pretty strong stuff. It would have to be for him to compare 50-over cricket to a 7-over slog fest. Tsotsobe is a great ODI bowler because there length balls actually work to hold the scoring and he has more time to settle into a rhythm and work over the batsmen.

It was Amla's innings and Tsotsobe's first over that cost us the game. That first six by Hodge off Parnell really didn't miss the block hole by much and unlike Trotsobe, Parnell was actually trying for the yorker. That's how small your margin of error is when you're playing at that level.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Netherlands salute! 8)
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

What a match, that is incredible.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Definitely want to watch the highlights! I missed it.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

KALSTER wrote:Definitely want to watch the highlights! I missed it.
The whole match was a highlight!
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

HELL YES! STEYN, YOU ARE THE ******* MAN! BRILLIANT! YES, YES, YES!
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 W 2 1 0 2 4 W 0 0 2 W 0 0 4 W W

Last edited by WiK1d on 24 Mar 2014, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Unbelievable! I was almost sure we'd get beat again there at the end! When last did Albie bowl better than Morne?
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

KALSTER wrote:Unbelievable! I was almost sure we'd get beat again there at the end! When last did Albie bowl better than Morne?
Um... never?! :lol:

I'm afraid Morné may find himself on the sidelines for the next game.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I didn't even know SA was playing today. Just picked up the result in the car on the way home. :oops:
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Absolutely pathetic.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

KALSTER wrote:Absolutely pathetic.
This is very poor cricket from South Africa. They probably figured they'd show, hammer 200+ and bowl the Netherlands out for under 100. Surprise!

Having said that, our bowling attack should be too much for their batsmen. Then again, I figured the same about our batting. :?
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

That is twice now they had no chance in hell and still made it anyway. Just enough to let you hope the next time and be disappointed again. Hopefully not though.

Hopefully Sri Lanka pummels England and New Zealand horribly.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

KALSTER wrote:That is twice now they had no chance in hell and still made it anyway. Just enough to let you hope the next time and be disappointed again. Hopefully not though.

Hopefully Sri Lanka pummels England and New Zealand horribly.
Well, this actually bodes well for us. We've got one foot in the semis despite playing some **** cricket. If SA peak then, we might just pull off something special. Most of our top order are due and so are the bowlers. We really need some support for Steyn and Tahir, they can't pull it out of the hat every time.

The continued use of AB anywhere else but three truly baffles me.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

And England beat Sri Lanka amazingly, which means we have to beat them well to stand a chance. At least they lost to New Zealand.

I just don't think our bowling is up to scratch though. Tsotsobe sucks frankly, haven't seen much good from Hendricks and Albie and Morne have both been getting the stick as well. I liked Abbot's bowling. Not sure how he'll fare if given another chance (is he even in the team?. Parnell might be another option. Not sure of he is in the team either.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

KALSTER wrote:haven't seen much good from Hendricks
:|

1 for 16 from 3.4 overs in his only outing so far in the tournament. What would it take to impress you? :scratch:
KALSTER wrote:And England beat Sri Lanka amazingly, which means we have to beat them well to stand a chance. At least they lost to New Zealand.
Yeah... I did NOT see that coming.
KALSTER wrote:I just don't think our bowling is up to scratch though. Tsotsobe sucks frankly, haven't seen much good from Hendricks and Albie and Morne have both been getting the stick as well. I liked Abbot's bowling. Not sure how he'll fare if given another chance (is he even in the team?. Parnell might be another option. Not sure of he is in the team either.
Parnell is part of the squad, Abbot isn't, which is a pity. Despite being labelled as an allrounder, Albie has never been a good bowler and I'm not sure SA should be using him in that role, unless it's very sparingly. I don't see them dropping Beuran Hendricks for the next game, he's shown some potential. I'm afraid Morné may continue to lose out.

I'd like to see Parnell in there at some point, even though he tends to be very hit-and-miss. They may bring him in at Tsotsobe's expense.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Not that I am a fan of T20:

http://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/ICCWor ... e-20140328

So the solution is to give the Captain role to another Captain who has the same issue in the one day format? :? Another related question, how can two different captains suffer from the same problem? Is this a team issue maybe?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Mystical_Titan wrote:

1 for 16 from 3.4 overs in his only outing so far in the tournament. What would it take to impress you? :scratch:.
That was mainly due to Faf's good management of when he was used IMO. In the matches against Australia he was dismal. He might have potential, but he shouldn't be thrust straight into a world cup like this surely..
I'd like to see Parnell in there at some point, even though he tends to be very hit-and-miss. They may bring him in at Tsotsobe's expense.
I'd say he is more of an all-rounder than Albie in fact. Even though he hasn't really been performing with the bat either, I think it might be worth letting him in the team for batting only, maybe letting him bowl two over at the other end after a dismissal, dumping Tsotsobe and putting Parnell in as all-rounder. Morne is worth more with the bat than Tsotsobe as well.

Overs:

Steyn 4
Tahir 4
Duminy 2
Albie 2
Parnell 4
Hendricks/Morne 4

?
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

KALSTER wrote:
Mystical_Titan wrote:

1 for 16 from 3.4 overs in his only outing so far in the tournament. What would it take to impress you? :scratch:.
That was mainly due to Faf's good management of when he was used IMO. In the matches against Australia he was dismal. He might have potential, but he shouldn't be thrust straight into a world cup like this surely..
I'd say he is more of an all-rounder than Albie in fact. Even though he hasn't really been performing with the bat either, I think it might be worth letting him in the team for batting only, maybe letting him bowl two over at the other end after a dismissal, dumping Tsotsobe and putting Parnell in as all-rounder. Morne is worth more with the bat than Tsotsobe as well.

Overs:

Steyn 4
Tahir 4
Duminy 2
Albie 2
Parnell 4
Hendricks/Morne 4

?
Hendricks was brilliant in the domestic competition, so it's good to see him being rewarded. Not everyone finds their feet immediately in international cricket.

I agree with that bowling allocation. JP bowls way too much. This is not test cricket.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

FINALLY De Villiers bats at three! Amla was brilliant as well and Parnell was a revelation. When Faf returns it will most probably be in the place of Behardien. I just hope they have the good sense to keep De Villiers at three!

Our backup bowling is still a worry though. We have to assume that Tahir may be slightly less effective against India, so the other bowlers will really need to step up to the plate.

Bring on Friday!
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Anakha56 wrote:Another related question, how can two different captains suffer from the same problem? Is this a team issue maybe?
No, it's clearly a captaincy issue. Smith very rarely battled with slow over rates, and for much of his captaincy he didn't even have the luxury of two spinners to speed things up. Du Plessis and de Villiers need to learn to manage things better. They both take far too much time between balls to arrange field settings. Perhaps Smith needed to be a little more proactive post-captaincy in helping them to manage things in a timely fashion.