The Cricket Thread

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Mystical_Titan

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Anakha56 wrote:It's not viable ;). Why? Due to the amount invested into DRS to change and go into another product would show weakness in the current system which in turn will make the already nervous countries even more nervous and cause more people to say it is not working.

/You wanted a reason so I humbly provided... :P
For some reason, I thought of the following video while reading your post. Let's see if you can spot any relevance to our situation here. :D

*Warning - Contains offensive language*

Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Mystical_Titan wrote:I'm sure they could develop some sort of "live review system" for the third umpire, give him the Hawk-Eye and audio as it happens. And no-one can say that's not viable after all the money they've pumped into DRS.
Man, I think the ICC stole my brain child!

ICC trials instant replays for third umpire
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

It'll be great if they get it right. I remain sceptical, however. They'll begin by saying that it's only for obvious errors that can be corrected before the batsman crosses the boundary. Then they'll start asking the batsman to wait. Then eventually every appeal will be revealed and time will be taken to check.

On the flip side, let's assume that the third umpire is given the time until the batsman crosses the boundary to reverse a decision. What happens in the reverse? How long does he have to reverse a decision given not out to a spinner? Must the spinner waste time and not deliver the next ball so that the third umpire can potentially reverse the decision? That'll help over rates.

Again, if it works, I'm all for it. I simply remain a sceptic at this point.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

So... Thoughts on the game so far? Sri Lanka are batting well. Cant tell if that means we are bowling bad since I am watching cricinfo feed...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

I haven't seen anything of the game, but the SL batsmen have been in good nick lately.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Okay Ingram, please take a hike.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

A viewer on Cricinfo makes a valid point:
Tom: "I think they really need to look at getting people trained in the use of video footage, hot spot, sound etc if they are going to use the third umpire for so many decisions. The umpires themselves don't seem to have an understanding of the technology that they are utilising. They need someone with the knowledge to interpret the images and sounds and then an umpire to interpret the rules of the game and apply them to what the other guy sees and hears. I feel kind of bad for the umpires they are clearly clueless with even the basic video replay technology. What do you think?"

I couldn't agree more, Tom. These days, the third umpire's job is a completely different role from officiating in the middle. There is no reason to assume the same people are best for both jobs. It's like putting a pilot in the air-traffic control room.
petrivanzyl

Post by petrivanzyl »

Poor bowling again
"I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure"
(Intel i5-3570K; ASRock Z77 Extreme 6; GSkill Ares DDR3-1600 16GB; Gigabyte 670 GTX OC Edition; OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD; 2TB & 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDDs; CM 690 II Advanced USB 3.0; LG E2770 27" LED)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So apparently there was some cricket over the weekend. Also, in unrelated news, both South Africa and Australia took the field in full kit. There is no clear word yet on the reason for these two teams doing so.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

If an article like this doesn't make Cricket Australia take notice, then nothing will:

Forget Tests, BBL is where it's at
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

M_T you listening? Only going to say this once... I miss Smith as Captain...

Okay so we are a rebuilding team once again, our bowling is poor as is the fielding and batting. It just amazes me how three people leave the squad and the rest of the team crumbles :?. We did well in our bowling today but its still poor when you consider how many extras we gave away :(. Batting was a joke as usual.

So all time question, who is playing worst? Aus or SA? I am going to say Aus because at least that way I have a silver lining :P.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Ja, our ODI team is pretty woeful right now. Sad thing is, with guys like AB, JP and Faf in there, there is no way we should play as poorly as we are.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Anakha56 wrote:M_T you listening? Only going to say this once... I miss Smith as Captain...
Screenshot of this saved, backed up on two different drives and uploaded to three different image hosting websites. :P
Anakha56 wrote:Okay so we are a rebuilding team once again, our bowling is poor as is the fielding and batting. It just amazes me how three people leave the squad and the rest of the team crumbles :?. We did well in our bowling today but its still poor when you consider how many extras we gave away :(. Batting was a joke as usual.

So all time question, who is playing worst? Aus or SA? I am going to say Aus because at least that way I have a silver lining :P.
I say this so often I'm almost starting to annoy myself, but I'll say it again: AB. SHOULD. NOT. BE. CAPTAIN. KEEPER. AND. #4. BATSMAN. For !@#$ sakes CSA, WAKE UP!!!

It was a much improved showing from our bowlers and I'm glad to see that Morkel is performing so well, but 20 wides?! That sounds like primary school cricket to me.

All we needed was for our batsmen to show up... so much for that idea.Why is Henry Davids not being given an opportunity in ODI cricket? He should have gone to the Champion's Trophy already.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I thought it was a helpful wicket for our bowlers, so I wasn't overly impressed. Not overly unimpressed either: just meh.

As for Davids, it seems that Kirsten and Flamingo are intent on creating three distinct squads, even if it means weakening the team. Davids and Philander both deserve a shot in the ODI squad and are, I would argue, necessary at this point. I still want to see de Kock in there. And, seriously, what's up with Kallis now? I get taking a break for a competition or two, but is he seriously just going to suddenly show up for the World Cup? Either announce your retirement from ODIs or get back into the mix already!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Protea ... s-20130724
Philander to silence critics
2013-07-24 20:27

Trinidad - Proteas seam and swing bowler Vernon Philander is out to show he is more than just an outstanding Test match bowler during the upcoming Limacol Caribbean Premier League (CPL).

The 28-year-old’s red-ball credentials are outstanding with 89 wickets in 16 tests, reaching 50 wickets in the longest form of the game in just his seventh match, the third fastest to the mark in the history of the game.

However, Philander has been overlooked by South Africa’s selectors for the most part for short-form cricket with only eight ODIs and seven T20 Internationals under his belt. He hopes he can use the CPL, where he will line up for the Jamaica Tallawahs, as a way of putting himself forward for selection when the time comes to pick the Proteas’ limited-overs line-up in future.

“I have obviously not played a lot of white-ball cricket for South Africa,” he said. “This tournament is a chance for me to step up in the shortest form of the game and I am pretty excited about it.

“I back myself in the shorter formats and want the opportunity at international level so if I can put my name on the board then that is what I want to do.”

First and foremost though, Philander will have to adapt to Caribbean conditions which are not always regarded as wholly conducive to swing and seam bowlers of his type.

“The conditions will pose challenges and as I have not played in the West Indies before that is something I will have to get used to,” he said. “It will be a case of getting used to the decks and bowling up front as quickly as possible.

Philander is currently playing with Kent Country Cricket Club.

Follow the link for further reading.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Stuart wrote:And, seriously, what's up with Kallis now? I get taking a break for a competition or two, but is he seriously just going to suddenly show up for the World Cup? Either announce your retirement from ODIs or get back into the mix already!
Agreed. :?

And back on the DRS topic, here's something else about it that REALLY annoys me: If you're going to use the system, standardise the tools being used for it. Towards the end of the WI and Pakistan game yesterday, Misbah may or may not have nicked a steep bounce to the keeper. WI were all 100% certain and reviewed it straight away. There wasn't anything on audio and the video replays were inconclusive. Hot Spot would have had the final say, but it wasn't being used. Why the hell not?! How can you use it for one series and not the next? Either you fork out the cash to use it across the board or you leave it out completely. WTF ICC?!

On a lighter note, I thought this was awesome!

KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Who is the guy on the left?

Edit: Oh, Frank Coraci, the director.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

KALSTER wrote:Who is the guy on the left?

Edit: Oh, Frank Coraci, the director.
Had me googling for a while :lol:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Mystical_Titan wrote:And back on the DRS topic, here's something else about it that REALLY annoys me: If you're going to use the system, standardise the tools being used for it. Towards the end of the WI and Pakistan game yesterday, Misbah may or may not have nicked a steep bounce to the keeper. WI were all 100% certain and reviewed it straight away. There wasn't anything on audio and the video replays were inconclusive. Hot Spot would have had the final say, but it wasn't being used. Why the hell not?! How can you use it for one series and not the next? Either you fork out the cash to use it across the board or you leave it out completely. WTF ICC?!
I agree.

As I understand it, it's left up to the TV network covering the game/series to fork out for the hotspot camera. ICC should either foot the bill or drop it completely, imho.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Oh look we are going to lose another game... :? :/
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Is that so? :D

PS - Please throw Peterson out of the team now!
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Anakha56 wrote:Oh look we are going to lose another game... :? :/
Always the optimist
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol: When it comes to our cricket squad it is better to be a pessimist rather than a optimist ;). Just like when they enter major tournaments it is better to bet against them rather than with them ;). If it weren't for Miller's massive knock and Tostsobe early wickets we would have lost.

Does anyone know why/when Radio 2000 stopped broadcasting live commentary for the cricket? Was missed on the drive to work... :(
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Didn't Brian Lara also take Peterson for 30-odd in a test match once? Must've been, sjoe, ten years back? I remember them saying at the time that it was the most expensive over in tests. I THINK it was Peterson, though I stand to be corrected.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Stuart wrote:Didn't Brian Lara also take Peterson for 30-odd in a test match once? Must've been, sjoe, ten years back? I remember them saying at the time that it was the most expensive over in tests. I THINK it was Peterson, though I stand to be corrected.
Yes, it was Peterson and if Gibbs hadn't hammered those six 6s in the 2007 World Cup, Peterson would own the most expensive over in ODIs too! I think it's time for the SA management to be honest and say that Peterson is not having the impact he's supposed to. He's bowling in Sri Lankan conditions and being very ineffective and he's not contributing with the bat either.
Anakha56 wrote:If it weren't for Miller's massive knock and Tostsobe early wickets we would have lost.
And if I don't get out of bed tomorrow morning, I won't be at work. What's your point? We won that game at least, be happy, 'cause we're not doing too well right now. WTF is going on with AB?!