USADA to strip Lance Armstrong of 7 Tour titles

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

USADA to strip Lance Armstrong of 7 Tour titles

Post by Stuart »

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — With stunning swiftness, the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency said Thursday night it will strip Lance Armstrong of his unprecedented seven Tour de France titles after he dropped his fight against drug charges that threatened his legacy as one of the greatest cyclists of all time.

Travis Tygart, USADA's chief executive, said Armstrong would also be hit with a lifetime ban on Friday. Under the World Anti-Doping Code, he could lose other awards, event titles and cash earnings while the International Olympic Committee might look at the bronze medal he won in the 2000 Games.

Armstrong, who retired last year, effectively dropped his fight by declining to enter USADA's arbitration process — his last option — because he said he was weary of fighting accusations that have dogged him for years. He has consistently pointed to the hundreds of drug tests he passed as proof of his innocence while piling up Tour titles from 1999 to 2005.

"There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, 'Enough is enough.' For me, that time is now," Armstrong said. He called the USADA investigation an "unconstitutional witch hunt."

"I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in winning my seven Tours since 1999," he said. "The toll this has taken on my family and my work for our foundation and on me leads me to where I am today — finished with this nonsense."

USADA reacted quickly and treated Armstrong's decision as an admission of guilt, hanging the label of drug cheat on an athlete who was a hero to thousands for overcoming life-threatening testicular cancer and for his foundation's support for cancer research.

"It is a sad day for all of us who love sport and athletes," Tygart said. "It's a heartbreaking example of win at all costs overtaking the fair and safe option. There's no success in cheating to win."

Tygart said the agency had the power to strip the Tour titles, though Armstrong disputed that.

"USADA cannot assert control of a professional international sport and attempt to strip my seven Tour de France titles," he said. "I know who won those seven Tours, my teammates know who won those seven Tours, and everyone I competed against knows who won those seven Tours."

Still to be heard from was the sport's governing body, the International Cycling Union, which had backed Armstrong's legal challenge to USADA's authority and in theory could take the case before the international Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Tygart said UCI was "bound to recognize our decision and impose it" as a signer of the World Anti-Doping Code.

"They have no choice but to strip the titles under the code," he said.

USADA maintains that Armstrong has used banned substances as far back as 1996, including the blood-booster EPO and steroids as well as blood transfusions — all to boost his performance.

More
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: USADA to strip Lance Armstrong of 7 Tour titles

Post by hamin_aus »

He rode a bicycle and has one testicle.

Who cares...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

jamin_za wrote:He rode a bicycle and has one testicle.

Who cares...
You're just jealous 'cos he's fitter and has one more testicle than you.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Stuart wrote:You're just jealous 'cos he's fitter and has one more testicle than you.
:lol:

Pwn'd
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

D3PART3D wrote: :lol:

Pwn'd
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Stuart wrote:You're just jealous 'cos he's fitter
Aell according to the USADA, he is not actually fitter. ;)
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Why cant they just leave him be
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf wrote:
Stuart wrote:You're just jealous 'cos he's fitter
Aell according to the USADA, he is not actually fitter. ;)
Than jamin? :eyebrow:
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Stuart wrote:Than jamin? :eyebrow:
If rumors in the dark recesses of the internet are true, jammins right arm could power a small city. Aparenlty he gets a lot of exercise with it.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

If we could attach some kind of a Piezoelectric setup to his Catwoman getup, that could power a lot too.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

I don't get it.
Which drug test did he fail?
Where is the empirical evidence?
As I understand it they are basing it all on he-said she-said circumstantial evidence.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

It's a case of he said, she said so that she doesnt get a bad sentence because she doped.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Sojourn wrote:I don't get it.
Which drug test did he fail?
Where is the empirical evidence?
As I understand it they are basing it all on he-said she-said circumstantial evidence.
Guilty until proven innocent, y'know? Sounds legit.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Even if it is true, what wrong with it? The ones who cry is the ones that lost. If it gives you an edge and you are willing to live with the cost, its all fair game. Its like putting a turbo on a car, it will give you alot of performance for a short time, but on the long run it will bugger up your engine.

At least an option should be given where people who are willing to push the edge even further, where they can also compete...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Nuke wrote:Even if it is true, what wrong with it?
You did not just ask that. :?
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Personally I see winning as the compensation for your health/life. Seeing someone willing to give all to win, is far more inspiring than someone who is just training hard.

Sorry, I don't care much for sportsmanship.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

To me this is the biggest load of bs ever. The guy was a hero to many and now they go and take that away, and on some "he said, she said" sort of evidence

What bothers me most of all though is that I am pretty such there is not a single tour de France rider that is not on some sort of drug, there is no way you can perform like that for 3 weeks :?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

The woman who destroyed a Spanish fresco by “restoring” it has offered to use her artistic skill to restore Lance Armstrong’s Tour De France titles. “I want to use my power for good,” said Cecilia Jimenez. “And I think Lance’s features are quite easy to replicate. Plus, there’s nothing that doping allegations can destroy that can’t be put right with a bit of brown acrylic.”

Jimenez said she has been “hugely encouraged” by the media coverage her painting has received since she transformed Jesus Christ into a howler monkey with a few deft brush strokes.

“The global mood is so bleak right now, I think there’s a real need for things to be restored,” said Jimenez, excitedly mixing up a fresh batch of mud-brown paint.

She said she has chosen Lance Armstrong’s career as her next restoration job because “he’s such a nice boy, and I am quite good making yellow circles and he wears a yellow circle on his brown hairy arm”.

She added that she also felt a special bond with him because he had had “lots of terrible accusations” levelled at him. “They’re saying horrible things about my restoration, like that it makes Our Lord look almost furry enough to be a Spanish woman, but I know that goodness and artistic talent will triumph.”

She said once she had restored Armstrong’s titles, she would try to restore the reputation of the Catholic church.

“The Mother Church keeps trying to use whitewash to restore itself,” she explained, adding that she had “some exciting ideas”, starting with the repainting for the Sistine Chapel, “in a variety of lovely earthy tones like mud, silt, muddy silt, and Vervet Monkey”.

According to Jimenez, she was looking forward to being commissioned to restore “all the other paintings that were done a bit crap”.

“Look, the Mona Lisa was a good try,” she said. “But if you think she’s enigmatic now, just wait until she’s got a beard and a crown of furry thorns.”

Source
americantsm1
Queen of the Damned

Post by americantsm1 »

I think it is all very sad and I kind of wish they would leave him be ... if he passed so many drug tests how could it be true? Has the man not suffered enough? It is kind of like throwing a hero off a pedestal is it not?

Having said this I would like to point out that this is nothing but a personal opinion and I do not follow the sport at all, I just know the man is a legend.
There comes a time for every vampire when the idea of eternity becomes momentarily unbearable. Living in the shadows, feeding in the darkness with only your own company to keep, rots into a solitary, hollow existence.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Your salty tears are delicious
americantsm1
Queen of the Damned

Post by americantsm1 »

Thank you
There comes a time for every vampire when the idea of eternity becomes momentarily unbearable. Living in the shadows, feeding in the darkness with only your own company to keep, rots into a solitary, hollow existence.