F1 2012

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Re: F1 2012

Post by THE_STIG »

Ron2K wrote:
THE_STIG wrote:... and the unsuspecting Alonso ended up with both Hamilton and Groesen on top of him :lol: .
You are a sick, bitter, twisted little individual if you find the closest thing we've had in years to a fatal accident amusing.

(In related news, Grosjean has received a one race ban for setting the accident off. In my opinion, deserved.)
Dude please. At first I was not amused but once everybody was out the cars and all was well it did seem slightly amusing. Alonso was going about his business and suddenly found a black and gold lotus flying over him and then spinning round to see Hamilton bounce over his front wheels too.....not sure how kob managed to escape all that though, he was in the middle of it

now Groeseans ban, I think it is a bit harsh to be honest. Don't think the was 100% at fault there....similar moves have been pulled at starts before without incident
DarkRanger wrote:I flipped between the race and the cricket. Dunno which one got me more upset...
upset why? besides for the accident which ended Hamilton and Alonso(not a fan of him but oddly I did feel sorry) race the rest was fantastic.....but then maybe that is because button was owning up front :mrgreen:

msc and his battles was interesting too
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

I did not find it amusing at all and when the accident initially happened my initial thoughts were that Alonso was whacked in the head and when he did not get out of his car I was glued to the TV set hoping that he emerged unscathed, sure enough he emerged with a bruised back. Grosjean was at fault because what could Hamilton have done? Grosjean moves so far across that before Hamilton can react he is already alongside Hamilton with Hamilton's front left occupying the same space of tarmac as Grosjeans front & rear. If Hamilton had braked (which I suspect he did) the same incident would have occured, if Hamilton had gone right he would have hit Grosjean and still caused a big collision, if he had gone left he would have spun and again caused a collision and if he had accelerated hard and gone forward his brakes would have failed to stop him and, you guessed it, would have resulted in a collision. Hamilton could do nothing and as such the fault is fully on Grosjeans shoulders. Even after the crash I still cannot see the funny... :?

With regards to previous moves not resulting in a incident, those previous moves should have been stopped and handed out harsh penalties. The reason why this one was seen in such a dim light was because it could have cost the lives of multiple drivers had the conditions been slightly different. Read the following blog post on why the FIA should get a lot stricter on this sort of thing.

http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/20 ... nd-safety/
Spa, Stewards, Standards and Safety…

The start of the 2012 Belgian Grand Prix was not Romain Grosjean’s finest moment. It was by no means the worst thing he’s ever done in his career, but it wasn’t the best either. If we look at it in simple terms, he pushed a rival to the limit… actually slightly over the limit, and the resultant accident which his move sparked has, quite rightly, resulted in a race ban.

He’s held his hands up, admitted fault, and for that he must be commended. But now the vultures will start to pick at the bones of the incident. They will point to the fact that he’s had X number of contacts in his Formula 1 career, what percentage of those have occurred on the first lap, and how many other drivers such moments have affected. He’ll be cast into the role of young hothead, a GP2 graduate who doesn’t understand the finesse required in Formula 1. He’ll be dubbed a cocky upstart who had the temerity to turn down the offer of counselling and coaching from Sir Jackie Stewart.

He’ll have to read those column inches and suck it all up, watching from afar as his rivals compete for glory at the Autodromo di Monza. He’ll have to learn, and come back stronger.

Of course he’s not the first and won’t be the last driver to be banned for such a faux pas. Michael Schumacher and Mika Hakkinen were both parked in 1994, and they both went on to become world champions. Eddie Irvine was parked that season too, and he very nearly won a world title. But perhaps it’s the fact that an unsuspended ban hasn’t been handed down in 18 years that is causing the greatest shock. It marks Grosjean out as a danger, the likes of which the sport has not felt it correct to punish for almost two decades.

I don’t think such a picture is fair on Grosjean. I don’t believe for a moment that he is a danger. I don’t believe that he is thoughtless or reckless. In the vast majority of instances this season I believe he has been desperately unlucky. But for Spa alone, and purely on its own, I still feel he deserves the ban.

Punishments in Formula 1, no scrap that… punishments in single seater motor racing need to be far harsher than they are right now. And they need to become clearer and be applied with increased standardisation. From F1 down to entry level Formula Ford, even karting, a racing action of questionable moral standing must have the same regulatory reaction. Inconsistency between categories, and inconsistency even from a race to race basis in an individual category must be stamped out.

Motorsport racing needs to clamp down hard on dangerous driving. Maldanado deserves a race ban IMO...

Onto the Sunday race...

I enjoyed all the ups & downs of the race and to those of you who say Vettel is unable to make passes I reckon from 13th on the grid to 2nd proved that he can do overtakes and can drive a car well enough to conserve the tires and pull off a 1 stopper. Kimi baffled me, a fast car in quali turned into a very slow car during the race. Lotus Renault need to fix the racing setup because it has been letting them down time and time again. Loved watching Massa finally have a good fight and a good drive. I still think he needs to leave Ferrari and give the drive to a more determined person but yesterday was a good day for him, maybe it was because Alonso was not racing. MSC had a good race despite falling back in the results, Mercedes still have a lot of work to do on that car to get it up to Championship winning speed but it is looking good at Spa.

All in all it really makes me want to visit Spa for my first F1 race to watch over any other track. Would love to sit at the top Eau Rouge, its by far the most thrilling combination out of all the F1 tracks...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

I did not say it was funny. Just once all was well and I saw the onboard form Alonso I though that there was some slight(very) amusement in that he must have been sitting there saying "wow, now wheres all that come from" .

Still think this shows how far f1 cars have come in terms of safety, go back 20 years and this would have ended in some injuries I am sure.

I have had no problems with Grosjean’s so I think I will just leave this be, but I was rather angry with him for putting Hamilton out and so was Hamilton by the looks of things(rightly so).......but Mr idiot Maldenardo, only a matter of time before he causes a serious incident.

Was also confused by kimi, both the force india and the merc of MSC got past him and stayed there for some time. I know he was on a higher downforce setup but still that does not explain why he struggled so much, I sometimes wonder if the Renault engine is not part of the puzzle

Yes Spa, my favorite track -- in the world. Eau Rouge is sheer brilliance

Anyway. Monza this weekend, should be interesting
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Beautiful car beautiful corner. My wallpaper it now is
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Lewis showing that he does not understand the idea about confidential...

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/804 ... use-furore
Hamilton tweets cause furore

Lewis Hamilton once again made headlines for all the wrong reasons at the Belgian Grand Prix this weekend.

He set the eighth fastest time during qualifying on Saturday, well off the pace of his team-mate and pole-sitter Jenson Button. This prompted him to take to Twitter on Saturday where he posted a series of angry comments following the decision to use a different rear-wing to that of Button.

'Damn, WTF!! Jenson has the new rear wing on, I have the old. We voted to change, didn't work out. I lose 0.4 tenths just on the straight,' he wrote.

'Nothing I could do. Now, it's about picking up every point I can from there. Jenson should win easy with that speed.'

The tweets were removed a couple of hours later, but the Brit was at it again on Sunday morning, this time posting telemetry data.

According to BBC Sport, 'the telemetry sheet not only contained traces of the two drivers' laps, showing where Hamilton was losing time to Button, but also information about the car's settings, including sensitive data such as its ride height'.

The image was deleted not long after with McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh confirming that they asked him to take it down.

"No, we did not ask Lewis to remove yesterday's tweets, but yes we did ask him to remove this morning's telemetry tweets," he said.

Hamilton's miserable weekend at Spa continued on Sunday when he crashed out on lap following a collision involving Romain Grosjean, Fernando Alonso and Sergio Perez.

Asked about the crash, the Brit said: "I really don't want to talk about the start. People can see what happened."

But despite the impact, Hamilton was okay, revealing that he had "a lot worse than that."
Follow the link for the pic.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/8050018/
Button disappointed by Hamilton
McLaren driver unhappy with team-mate's post-qualifying tweet

Jenson Button says he was "surprised and disappointed" team-mate Lewis Hamilton tweeted confidential telemetry data after qualifying for the Belgium Grand Prix.

The 2008 World Champion posted a picture on the social media site displaying information of the quickest laps of both McLaren drivers, including their contrasting downforce levels and the ride-height of both cars, on Saturday evening.

The information revealed has been described as 'gold dust' in some quarters, with team boss Martin Whitmarsh acknowledging to Sky Sports that the tweet had been "not well judged" and "embarrassing".

And now Button, despite winning Sunday's race, has admitted that he was unhappy with Hamilton's error of judgement.

"We work so hard to improve the car and keep things like that secret and private," the 2009 World Champion said.

"I didn't want to see it on Twitter. It was the whole telemetry from qualifying. It wasn't just the rear wing. I was very surprised and disappointed.

"The bit about the time on the straights isn't the bit that's important to me. He should be gaining it back in the corners because he's got more downforce on anyway. And I was eight tenths quicker in qualifying anyway."

Button added that he did not intend to speak to Hamilton about the issue: "I think it's done now. I don't think it's for me to be angry with Lewis. It's not a personal thing."

Writing in his column for this website, Sky Sports F1 pundit Martin Brundle could offer no explanation for Hamilton's behaviour.

"I can't work Lewis out, his apparent demeanour swings around so much. In Hungary he appeared supremely happy, content and approachable. And unbeatable. In Spa he was not.

"I don't know if his mood determines his performance, or vice versa. He clearly wants to poke the team at the moment and I suspect he was pretty successful in doing that. Normally he is waxing lyrical about them at every opportunity and until he finds an even keel and a settled environment he will not deliver his enormous potential. He is one of the greatest and most natural talents of all time, I hope he makes the most of it."
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

meh, I don't know. I feel he is one of the few drivers there who are actually human, he does not say only what the press want to hear. I respect him for speaking his mind but the telemetry tweet was a bit too far, found it interesting yes but then so did the other teams I am sure.

I suppose I will agree with that Martin Brundle had to say(WTH cant we have the sky commentary multichoice?), his performance and his moods are linked but then its only human for it to be. I hope things settle down over there so I can see him the way he was in Hungary.

Either way still can not wait for this weekends race, I am sure it will be interesting
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Is Hamilton about to move to Mercedes? If so is it a good move on his part... Only time will tell...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19489930
Lewis Hamilton 'set for move to Mercedes from McLaren'

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer

Lewis Hamilton is on the verge of leaving McLaren to drive for Mercedes next season, according to BBC F1 chief analyst Eddie Jordan.
The former team boss says Hamilton will replace Michael Schumacher, who will retire from driving for a second time at the end of the year.
"I believe Hamilton and Mercedes have already agreed personal terms and a deal could be imminent," Jordan said.
Mercedes and a representative for Hamilton have refused to comment.
A McLaren spokesman said: "Negotiations between Lewis Hamilton and McLaren continue."

Follow the link for further reading...
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

And now for something completely different...
Italian ex-Formula 1 driver Alex Zanardi, who lost both legs following a crash in 2001, has won Paralympic gold.

Competing in the H4 handcycling time trial, the 45-year-old beat Germany's Nobert Mosandl by more than 27 seconds at Brands Hatch.

Zanardi had both legs amputated following a near-fatal Champ Car accident at Germany's Lausitzring.

Last year he won the New York marathon at the fourth attempt and also claimed world time-trial silver.

"This is a great accomplishment, one of the greatest of my life," Zanardi said of his victory.

"I worked very hard to get here. It was great to live such an experience at 45. This moment also brings a little bit of sadness for an adventure the last two years.

"When you are 20, you appreciate medals. When you are 40, you appreciate what you do every day.

"I enjoyed every day of training. I've had a magical adventure and this is a fantastic conclusion."

It is the third time Zanardi has been on the podium at the Kent circuit, each time in very different circumstances.

In 1991, as a 24-year-old with his sights trained on Formula 1, he secured second place in a Formula 3000 race for the Il Barone Rampante team around the track.

After losing his legs, he returned in 2008 to take third place in a specially adapted car as part of an Italian-Spanish team that finished third in the World Touring Car Championship.

Before Wednesday's race, it had become clear that a handcycle might finally be the vehicle to finally take him to the top step.

Even before dedicating himself fully to the sport, Zanardi finished 15th in the 2009 World Championships time trial.

His subsequent commitment bore fruit with a second-placed finish at the 2011 Worlds and victory over the previously dominant American Oscar Sanchez in the first race of the 2012 World Cup in Rome.

The undulating nature of the Brands Hatch circuit was also in Zanardi's favour, with uphill sections favouring double amputees such as himself.

In sunny but windy conditions he duly built a lead of 14 seconds over Mosandl after the first of the two laps and, in a perfectly paced race, had almost doubled that margin as he crossed the finish line.

Zanardi's triumph is especially impressive after the personal disaster that befell him 11 years ago.

After a Formula 1 career that comprised 41 races but little success, he had returned to the Champ Car series in which he had previously won two titles.

Attempting to rejoin the race at the Lausitzring, he lost control, skidding into the path of Canadian driver Alex Tagliani who could not avoid slamming into the side of the Italian's car at more than 200mph.

After losing three-quarters of his blood en route to the hospital, Zanardi defied paramedics' fears by surviving.

And he might be about to confound expectations once again.

Zanardi warned before Wednesday's race that his age might mean London 2012 would be both his first and last Paralympics.

But with Mosandl six years his senior and his closest challenger, Zanardi could yet defend his title in Brazil - the county where, in taking sixth in the 1993 Grand Prix, he achieved his best Formula 1 finish.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

I don't like the idea of Hamilton at Mercedes. I am a monumental fan of their road cars but their racing team, well its rubbish. They have Ross Brawn and some other very good people but still they are left fighting in the midfield, Hamilton wants to win not fight for just a point.

I heard that Zanardi was competing in the Paralympics, very happy for him :thumbup:
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Arrrrr, Why in the name of all that is holy has Hamilton gone to that lesser team called Mercedes. I seriously doubt that they will have a race winning car next year.

McLaren have a way better car than what Mercedes have. I see Perez will replace him at McLaren though, am looking forward to see how that pans out
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Glad for Perez and glad (for now) that Hamilton has gone to Benz. He might be thinking about the engine issues for next season, which might put Mercedes at a slight advantage. Too bad that Schumacher is leaving.

In the mean time, any chances Vettel can pull off another title over the last few races? I hope so.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Maybe.

I hope not. I dont want lord smug face winning again. I dislike Alonso but I feel he deserves it more, or Webber. But he seems to have fallen off a bit
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

ROFL, that is just brilliant. Such a awesome sense of humor they have, and grateful to the supporters too
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

And... got to love the Koreans. (Oppan Red Bull Style?)

THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

:lol: F1 needs more of this sort of thing
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

that was not the best of races, mostly because Button was out on lap one and then Hamilton's car had a rear roll bar failure so it was a seriously unstable and looked awful to drive. But man did he fight to stay in the points, now there is a true racer. He could have just given up but no he pushed that thing as hard as possible and even near the end when he had a massive piece of AstroTurf wrapped around the side board flopping about making it even harder to dive he still kept fighting.

That was the most amazing bit of determined driving I have seen pretty much ever, so I completely lost interest in what was happening in the front. This was far more interesting

This is why I think he is by far the best driver in F1 :)
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

So he killed Kermit the frog, doesn't make him the best driver :P.

Some before the race news. Ferrari have broken the gearbox seal on Massa's car immediately demoting him and promoting Alonso to the clean side of the track.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I know that is allowed now, but it is still absolute nonsense to me. How can Alonso feel ok with something like that? I wouldn't. I have never been a Ferrari fan and this is the reason why.

So 13 points difference going into the last race. What will happen next; will Ferrari instruct Massa to crash into Vettel?

Still, I love the new Austin track. Must have been the best race of the year in terms of the on-track happenings.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

KALSTER wrote:I know that is allowed now, but it is still absolute nonsense to me. How can Alonso feel ok with something like that? I wouldn't. I have never been a Ferrari fan and this is the reason why.

+1. Its these sort of stunts that cause me to dislike that red fiat so much.....
KALSTER wrote:So 13 points difference going into the last race. What will happen next; will Ferrari instruct Massa to crash into Vettel?

Still, I love the new Austin track. Must have been the best race of the year in terms of the on-track happenings.
Yep, exciting race that was. And lately the tires have been pretty durable with drivers able to thrash the car around the track and still do 30 odd laps. Now that is how it should be, having to be all conservative is not racing. The fastest man should win not the most conservative one. And Hamilton finally got the win :D after loosing it twice to reliability issues :x

The next race should be interesting, who knows what will go down there. . I would prefer vettel to win the championship, he is actually fighting for it and not just getting lucky or having team mates moved around like mr Alonso.....
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

KALSTER wrote:So 13 points difference going into the last race. What will happen next; will Ferrari instruct Massa to crash into Vettel?
Nope, but in a situation where Massa was ahead of Alonso, and Alonso needs one place to take the championship (assuming Vettel is behind Alonso), it's pretty obvious what's going to happen. Really not impressed with Ferrari's tactics at the moment.

Apart from that, enjoyed the race. Nice fair fight between Hamilton and Vettel for the lead, and the midfielders had a bit of fun as well. And then there was that overtake by Raikkonen...

Anyways, this is how the drivers championship can end up based on next weekend's race:
  • If Alonso wins the race, Vettel must finish in the top 4 to win the title.
  • If Alonso finishes second, Vettel must finish in the top 7 to win the title.
  • If Alonso finishes third, Vettel must finish in the top 9 to win the title.
  • If Alonso finishes fourth or lower, Vettel doesn't need to score any points to win the title.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

:cry: Last race of the season and Hamilton’s last race for McLaren(I still feel McLaren is the only place he should be) :cry: :cry:

Anyway, yes yes a McLaren 1 2 for tomorrow :mrgreen: :mrgreen: now I just hope no reliability issues come between them and finishing 1st and 2nd. As for the championship I am not really interested, don’t like vettel and certainly don’t like Alonso ....but vettel deserves it more I suppose, especially after the stunt Ferrari pulled in the previous race
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

What a race! I was on the edge of my seat throughout the entire time. Loved every minute of it. Also loved the one tweet on Twitter "Hulk smash" :lol:. It's a shame Hamilton was unable to finish the race on the podium, same goes for Nico.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Yep that was a race of note. There was some sort of excitement on just about every lap, Hulk did a good job until smashing into Hamilton :x . Now I sort of feel that McLaren have made a mistake signing perez instead of Hulkenburg, perez has been dismal for many races now but hulk has done rather well and fighting with McLaren's in tricky conditions with a force India shows that he has talent. Button once again showed that he is the master of changing conditions, nice win :D

I see that Ferrari are being sore loosers again complaining that some of Vettels overtaking was illegal :lol: