F1 2012

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: F1 2012

Post by Ron2K »

Because Kimi doesn't seem to know what a blue flag is (most hilarious radio transmission in ages!), here's the PF1 guide to F1 flags:

Blue Flag
Meaning: You are about to go a lap down, NOT, you are about to go down on a Lap (or in a lap-dancing club)

Yellow Flag
Meaning: Think about slowing down.

Double Waved Yellow Flags
Meaning: Oh, don't bother, it's probably a lot of fuss over nothing i.e. like when Takuma Sato blew engine smoke all over the exit of Eau Rouge and you went steaming through at top speed.

Orange Flag
Meaning: There's oil or debris on track, or as Takuma once said, "very slippery oily stuffs"

Green Flag
Meaning: You must drive in an eco-friendly manner from this point on.

Red Flag
Meaning: Vitaly's gone off somewhere again.

Red Light at End of Pitlane
Meaning: In about five seconds time Lewis is going to smash into the back of you.

Black Flag
Meaning: Race Control has been taken over by pirates. (Normally with a number showing how many pirates)
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

THE_STIG wrote:I still wonder what the benefits of the two different nose designs are. One person I know insists that the stepped nose creates more downforce and grip.....but I am not so sure
No. To create downforce you need air traveling over the car to get from the front to the back as fast as possible and as slow as possible on the underside. Adding undulations on the top side causes the distance from back to front to increase and slow the air down. This decreases downforce and increases drag (though I doubt that the nose cone generates mentionable downforce in any case).

So the only benefit of the high nose is the space you gain under it (as Anky stated in a quote) at the expense of a little bit of drag and a marginally higher CofG. The bigger space allows them to either maximise thefront wing area or direct air flow for cooling purposes.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I see Hamilton finished without crashing into anybody, so great start to the season for him!
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

ryanrich wrote:I see Hamilton finished without crashing into anybody, so great start to the season for him!

His bad luck has returned though, he has a penalty for a gear box replacement :cry: :cry:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

My goodness I have been slack... :(

Stig even with a gear box penalty at that speed he will win the race while lapping everyone double time! :P
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

:mrgreen: McLaren FTW

:lol: how did I miss that, I see they also messed up the names at one point during qualifying
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Yeah its all made in China :P.

Something weird is going on with Red Bull. Vettel has the old exhaust layout planted on his car and he is happy with the it but it seems to be slower. Webber has the new system (Sauber copycat) and it is faster and he prefers that. :? I would hate to be the designer & engineer that now has to find the compromise between the two layouts to get Vettel on top again.

I love the fact that Mercedes has the 1, 2 lockout and that Bashy is in third! The start tomorrow is going to be interesting to watch.

/Cant wait for the race to start! :D
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

:lol: yes. And Sasha made a mistake too, he said "watch out for the two McLaren drivers; Rosberg and Schumacher". ROFL interesting that Sasha since when do they drive for McLaren :lol:

Yea, I do find the situation within RBR very strange. Vettel seems very frustrated and apparently gave somebody the middle finger at the previous race :dontknow: . But the racing at the moment is extremely close, there was only 3/10's or so covering the top 10 in Q2 :D

Should be very interesting tomorrow, particularly with the Kabakazi pilot up in 3rd.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Sasha has always been a idiot and that will never change. I love how he no longer wears his Ferrari overalls now that they are no longer the dominant team...
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Anakha56 wrote:Sasha has always been a idiot and that will never change. I love how he no longer wears his Ferrari overalls now that they are no longer the dominant team...
:lol: :lol: Yes I remember that, typical Ferrari supporter in other words :P Yes Sasha is a pretty clueless so called F1 exert.

Currently watching the qualifying again, to try see why exactly vettel did not get though to Q3 :scratch:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

THE_STIG wrote: Currently watching the qualifying again, to try see why exactly vettel did not get though to Q3 :scratch:
I think you will find that old exhaust layout is not as powerful as the Sauber solution. That or he just does not have the car hooked up as he would like. News on the side to the build up to this GP is that Ferrari has been working closely with the Sauber team for there exhaust layout. So expect to see a "better" Ferrari in the coming races...
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Go Michael!
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Hman wrote:Go Michael!
He was doing well, until his pit crew left out a wheel nut. I felt genuinely sad for him :( But I am very happy for Rosberg, first win and he drives a Mercedes :D

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Mercedes power in 1st, 2nd and 3rd!!!!! good day to be a merc fanboy :mrgreen:

Loved that race, the last 15 laps were pure brilliance with all those cars fighting for 3rd and 2nd(have to watch it again :D ). You should have seen how I was cheering and running around the room when Button and then Hamilton passed Vettel :D :D :D I have grown very tired of seeing Vettel's smug face on the podium :P

//Best race I have ever seen(besides for Canada last year that is) :D :D so happy right now :D
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Congrats to Williams and Maldenardo. Nice to see them back on top :)

Although I raged about Hamilton's penalty which was not his fault but the member of the team who messed up the fuelling :x . I enjoyed how he raced from last place to end 8th, some of those overtakes were just brilliant :D He would have won the race if it were not for them(the FIA) :x :x

Red bull seemed rather useless :lol: Webber had a bad day and vettel never really got anywhere(a penalty too)

What happened to Williams after the race was terrifying :shock:

And another one:

KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Apparently Senna's Kerr unit exploded.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Hamilton you beauty :D :D :D :D

That is all :mrgreen:
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

The most exciting Valencia gp I have seen so far. Cheered when vettel started coasting along :lol: Sad when Grosjean had the same problem.

Then came the Maldonado Hamilton incident. I went absolutely insane and gave that fool Maldonado a good few choice words. For once I agree with the stewards decision, Maldonado was defiantly the guilty one :x and Coulthard has brought up him using his car as a weapon a few times now :?

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/78 ... pean-point

In the end at least the final podium position went to MSC, was good to see him up there again :)
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Maldonado and Hamilton are both chops. Hamilton was battling with traction and a slower car, he could've easily moved over and still finished with some valuable points, but no. Maldonado deserved the time penalty though.

Fantastic drive from Alonso, who was by far the best driver of the day. Awesome to see Schumi on the podium again, as well as Kimi. Overall definitely one of the best races in ages, highly entertaining.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I was playing golf, time got away from me and I missed the race!

Bummer about Vettel's car. Sounds like he deserved it the most. Great about Schumacher's podium as well! Strange how you hate the guy while at the top, but when he falls, you want him close to the top again.

What the hell is going on in the Mclaren paddock!? How can they screw up Hamilton's stop in every race? I am not a fan of the guy, but I want him to lose because Vettel is better, not because of stupid errors or from being bungled off the track by an overzealous Williams driver.

Might catch the recorded race at a friend's tonight.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

KALSTER wrote:I was playing golf, time got away from me and I missed the race!

Bummer about Vettel's car. Sounds like he deserved it the most. Great about Schumacher's podium as well! Strange how you hate the guy while at the top, but when he falls, you want him close to the top again.

What the hell is going on in the Mclaren paddock!? How can they screw up Hamilton's stop in every race? I am not a fan of the guy, but I want him to lose because Vettel is better, not because of stupid errors or from being bungled off the track by an overzealous Williams driver.

Might catch the recorded race at a friend's tonight.
But MSC drove for Ferarri when he was on top :wink: also he would win everything, have so much luck which made it very boring....much the same with vettel but it appears that luck has left vettel in some ways :|

I don't agree that vettel is better :P . But I just cant understand why the pit stops go so wrong, its just plain bad luck mostly...which has always been the problem for McLaren :(

And what has happened to button?
ryanrich wrote:Maldonado and Hamilton are both chops. Hamilton was battling with traction and a slower car, he could've easily moved over and still finished with some valuable points, but no. Maldonado deserved the time penalty though.

Fantastic drive from Alonso, who was by far the best driver of the day. Awesome to see Schumi on the podium again, as well as Kimi. Overall definitely one of the best races in ages, highly entertaining.
What, no. Pulling over is not racing, what's the point of racing if you are just going to give in. True racing is never giving up, pushing as hard as you can and taking every opportunity. Maldonardo was off the track so he had no right to try push Hamilton around, he should have waited for the next corner as kimi did :wink:

However Hamilton has been driving perfectly so far, he has just been plagued by bad pit stops, penalties which were no fault of his own and certain Williams drivers crashing into him :x so I don't blame him for looking into moving to other teams

but has much as I hate alonso, it was a very good drive from him but I still wonder what would have happened if grosjean was still in :?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Hot Damn! That was one hell of a race! Loved every minute of it even the part when both the Red Bull & Lotus had the same part fail on them after the restart.

Alonso has really matured with his time at Ferrari and I can see him becoming one of the greats in F1 history. I think I can start supporting him! :shock: He really did deserve the win and I am glad for him :).

MSC also finally deserved that podium after a long, long drought since his return and I hope it ignites the F1 flame in him even brighter so that he could pull off some of those great drives like he did in the past.

Kimi is struggling. I really want him to get a win because hopefully that will get his fighting spirit back but right now he is being to timid and lacking any aggression.

Hamilton & Mclaren... From having the strongest car at the start of the season to being one of the weakest come race day is depressing. They need to pull off a Ferrari team spirit and upgrade that car massively and with Hamilton they need to get his old pit crew back :?. I dont understand how his pit crew went from bullet proof last year to amateur hour every race this year, its as if they want to make it really challenging for him. As for the Maldanado incident I have to agree with ryan, Stig I understand what you are saying regarding racing but remember when MSC went into the back of Senna because he was just so much slower due to bad tire degradation? Same thing, Hamilton lacked the pace, braking power and acceleration to defend against any quicker car. The problem is he was trying to defend against Maldanado who we all know from his smash at Aus is still very young in the sport, hell Hamilton did the same when he started in F1 and everyone called it racing... :roll:

With regards to Button, some of the news I have been reading indicate that the Mclaren car is not a stable car. One practice session it is performing well with the next it is all over the place. One report quoted him as saying "Its like driving on a knifes edge". He just cannot find a setup that agree's with his driving technique. Here's hoping he & Mclaren find something soon, we really need his talent to be up at the top fighting with the top ten and not with the bottom 15...

Massa is well ... Massa. A average F1 driver who is in the team to support the team leader at the time which is currently Alonso. They have the same car and up until a couple of races he was unable to get close to Alonso, recently he is getting close but during a race he just lacks the raw pace & aggression. In Valencia he made some outstanding moves and was initially very quick but then he just settled into a spot and could not progress further up instead he progressed further down the field.

Webber is another driver who is performing well but just cannot get the maximum out of the car like his team mate however I fully support the Aus for a World Championship win and I really hope he gets one.

Vettel is astonishing. That kid is taking a car that has had upgrades banned and still driving it faster than all the other cars around him. He is one driver I love to watch around every circuit because no matter the track, his driving skill is staggering and he has already proven his critics about his overtaking skills.

@Stig No matter where Hamilton goes drivers will drive into him same goes for penalties. The only other reason he would look to move is because of those bad pit stops and the team not upgrading the car fast enough to keep up with Red Bull & Ferrari. Oh that and that he might be looking at getting a pay cut with his new contract at Mclaren ;).
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

I was not saying that Hamilton moving would stop him getting penalties. But so far this year it has been the teams fault that he gets penalties. Spain where he was striped of pole and sent to the back was purely the teams fault for not putting enough fuel in. And on may occasions now they haver ruined his race because of poor pit stops. So as big a McLaren fanboy I am I completely understand why he is unhappy there

Yea I suppose it is not a very stable car and I know that button likes a stable car whereas Hamilton seems to enjoy a slightly unstable car.

Back to the tire thing. I don't really care how bad your tires are, if you have track position you should do everything possible to keep it. The faster car will eventually find a way past, which is what kimi did.

Vettel, meh. I still believe that Hamilton is better, just very unlucky.....
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

THE_STIG wrote: Back to the tire thing. I don't really care how bad your tires are, if you have track position you should do everything possible to keep it. The faster car will eventually find a way past, which is what kimi did.
To quote Senna (Ayrton that is ;) ):
By being a racing driver you are under risk all the time. By being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, we are competing to win. And the main motivation to all of us is to compete for victory, it's not to come 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th. I race to win as long as I feel it's possible. Sometimes you get it wrong? Sure, it's impossible to get it right all the time. But I race designed to win, as long as I feel I'm doing it right
Maldanado went for a gap even if it was small. His mistake was coming back on the grid the way he did but thats life, he will learn from it and move on however in saying that Maldanado deserved the penalty. We already have seen a few accidents this year due to the tires just falling away and I have to wonder when the FIA or FOTA will step in and make it a mandatory rule that if your tires are no longer giving you the advantage and are instead likely to cause an accident you should pit. We have already seen MSC ram into the backend of Bruno because of the difference in speed & braking caused by bad tire wear and now this. Next it could be someone in hospital...

Hamilton needs to man up, accept the team failures, accept his failures and move forward. You want an example of a driver who has grown up and moved forward? Look at Alonso and Ferrari. Alonso went to Mclaren a hot blooded, arrogant driver thinking he was the best thing since Senna. His year at Mclaren frustrated him beyond reason because Mclaren already had a driver like that: Hamilton. He left for Ferrari who was not winning and could not come to terms with the Pirelli tires and their car was abysmal. From the bad year of last year and the poor performance this year they have come back with a huge fighting spirit and Alonso? He has been humbled and is now a better driver for it, he is a team player & leader and any mistake the team makes he takes responsibility for it. To date I have yet to see Hamilton shoulder the responsibility with the team and if he were a true team player he would sign another year or two with Mclaren. If he did this it would bolster his team (pit crew & engineers) and who knows they might be better for it. Currently all this talk of signing up elsewhere will just demoralize his guys even further.

Here is a news item that you will like Stig:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... encia.html
European Grand Prix 2012: it's the pits for McLaren and Lewis Hamilton after another costly error in Valencia
McLaren sporting director Sam Michael is under increasing pressure after yet another pit-stop error arguably cost Lewis Hamilton victory in Sunday’s European Grand Prix.

The 2008 world champion’s retirement from third place with two laps remaining ensured the post-race spotlight at McLaren centred on his collision with Williams’s Pastor Maldonado.
But it could so easily have been on the pit stop which followed the introduction of the safety car on lap 30, dropping Hamilton from third to sixth.
A failure of McLaren’s new front wheel jack meant a second jack had to be found in order to complete the stop.
The jack had been introduced as part of a raft of changes to kit, procedure and personnel which Michael – who joined McLaren after leaving his technical director role at Williams last year – has overseen in an effort to make the team’s pit stops more efficient.
"I believe the poor pit stop cost Lewis the race because he would have been clear of Fernando Alonso, and Pastor Maldonado would have not got anywhere near him to knock him out of the race," said BBC pundit Eddie Jordan after the race.
I sincerely doubt that Hamilton would have won the race due to the way his tire degradation was much higher than Alonso and anyone else who pitted at that time but its possibly he would not have had that coming together with Maldanado.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Anakha56 wrote:To quote Senna (Ayrton that is ;) ):
By being a racing driver you are under risk all the time. By being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, we are competing to win. And the main motivation to all of us is to compete for victory, it's not to come 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th. I race to win as long as I feel it's possible. Sometimes you get it wrong? Sure, it's impossible to get it right all the time. But I race designed to win, as long as I feel I'm doing it right
Maldanado went for a gap even if it was small. His mistake was coming back on the grid the way he did but thats life, he will learn from it and move on however in saying that Maldanado deserved the penalty.
I agree with that. Just he was not even on the racetrack so fighting was not really the best option there.

Anakha56 wrote:Hamilton needs to man up, accept the team failures, accept his failures and move forward.

Funny you should say that, I think he has. This comment should prove that:
That's racing, you just have to suck it up. Big congratulations to Fernando, he did a great job today. It's definitely tough, but we still have many more races.
Source
Anakha56 wrote:Here is a news item that you will like Stig:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... encia.html
European Grand Prix 2012: it's the pits for McLaren and Lewis Hamilton after another costly error in Valencia
McLaren sporting director Sam Michael is under increasing pressure after yet another pit-stop error arguably cost Lewis Hamilton victory in Sunday’s European Grand Prix.

The 2008 world champion’s retirement from third place with two laps remaining ensured the post-race spotlight at McLaren centred on his collision with Williams’s Pastor Maldonado.
But it could so easily have been on the pit stop which followed the introduction of the safety car on lap 30, dropping Hamilton from third to sixth.
A failure of McLaren’s new front wheel jack meant a second jack had to be found in order to complete the stop.
The jack had been introduced as part of a raft of changes to kit, procedure and personnel which Michael – who joined McLaren after leaving his technical director role at Williams last year – has overseen in an effort to make the team’s pit stops more efficient.
"I believe the poor pit stop cost Lewis the race because he would have been clear of Fernando Alonso, and Pastor Maldonado would have not got anywhere near him to knock him out of the race," said BBC pundit Eddie Jordan after the race.
I dont think he would have won. But he probably would have finished on the podium and maybe his tires would not have gone off as he would not have had to drive the wheels off the car to clear kimi and the others. And even if the tires did go off he probably would not have had to fight with Maldonardo
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

//mmm, funny how that when Hamilton wins I am the only one to post here. But when something happens to him or a Ferrari wins then many have something to say :scratch:

I did not even notice this. Rather ironic too:
McLaren set new pit stop record

The Woking squad's pit crew are once again under pressure after a bungled second stop cost Lewis Hamilton the chance to challenge for the European Grand Prix race win on Sunday.

Hamilton dropped from third to sixth as he was forced to spend some extra seconds in the pit lane after the team's front wheel jack failed during his second stop.

McLaren fans have vented their anger over Twitter following the latest bungle and, according to The Telegraph, new Sporting Director Sam Michael bore the brunt of the criticism.

However, the team have been quick to point out that the pit crew were on form for most of the afternoon.

'They claim that data from the race shows that the 2008 world champion's first stop in Valencia was actually the "fastest stationary pit stop in motor racing history" at 2.6sec,' the paper said.

Adding: 'McLaren had the two fastest pit-lane times during Sunday's race - a 19.36sec for Hamilton and a 19.64sec for Jenson Button - while their average stationary pit-stop time, discounting the one which arguably cost Hamilton the chance to fight for victory, was a sprightly 2.95 seconds.

'Mercedes were the previous record holders of the fastest stationary pit stop, achieving a time similar to McLaren's 2.6secs in Korea last year. But the Woking team believe they were just quicker.'
source

so that shows that they can do a good job, they just need to be more consistent
Last edited by THE_STIG on 26 Jun 2012, 22:15, edited 2 times in total.