F1 2012

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: F1 2012

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol: Actually this year I have been pretty tied up in life, so many things going on and only now is it starting to calm down. So please dont look for conspiracy theories when there arent any ;) BTW I do follow Hamilton's twitter account ;). Look that win of Hamilton's was deserved and he drove well I am just saying that IMHO he still has a lot to learn before he can become one of the greats.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Anakha56 wrote::lol: Actually this year I have been pretty tied up in life, so many things going on and only now is it starting to calm down. So please dont look for conspiracy theories when there arent any ;) BTW I do follow Hamilton's twitter account ;). Look that win of Hamilton's was deserved and he drove well I am just saying that IMHO he still has a lot to learn before he can become one of the greats.
There are many here who watch F1, why is it only me who says something when Hamilton wins :?

Yes and no. I like that he will go for a gap and try as hard as he can, I dont want that to change because then he will be just like many of the others and no longer exciting. I dont support him because I thought he would win everything and be the best but because I liked his aggressive and exciting driving style......
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

THE_STIG wrote:
Anakha56 wrote::lol: Actually this year I have been pretty tied up in life, so many things going on and only now is it starting to calm down. So please dont look for conspiracy theories when there arent any ;) BTW I do follow Hamilton's twitter account ;). Look that win of Hamilton's was deserved and he drove well I am just saying that IMHO he still has a lot to learn before he can become one of the greats.
There are many here who watch F1, why is it only me who says something when Hamilton wins :?

Yes and no. I like that he will go for a gap and try as hard as he can, I dont want that to change because then he will be just like many of the others and no longer exciting. I dont support him because I thought he would win everything and be the best but because I liked his aggressive and exciting driving style......
For awhile it was just myself who used to post F1 so dont feel to bad :P.

Alonso is currently driving like that. ;) The difference in driving styles Hamilton is go kart & the rest have done things differently. I really think last year and this year is going to make or break Hamilton. If he can see it out he would have seen all that F1 has to offer and will be a stronger driver, if he cant see it out then he will retire and go do something else maybe Nascar.

I personally have given up for routing for a specific team & driver and try my damnedest to support everyone. To me F1 is now about watching the individual drivers grow and seeing how they handle the different situations. To me F1 is now about watching the teams evolve their own cars and if that does not work copy and evolve the rivals car. I have soft spots for some of the drivers and others who in 2006 I swore to never support I now find myself supporting when the going gets tough. Its just a good sport to watch now :).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

I think Hamilton has been driving well so far. Look at his qualifying, he has been the most consistent driver there. Just the race does not always go so well, pit stops get messed up, the car does not seem to work in certain conditions....

I can see why you dont support a specific team/driver. There is just such a variety of teams and drivers contending for the top spot so its had to choose one to support. We have had 7 different winners so far, but I still feel that the tires are becoming the deciding factor and I dont like that. I want to see the drivers pushing as hard as they can giving it everything not having to hold back and look after tires. Even with the old bridgestones I think there would still be close racing and lots of overtaking as most of that is down to DRS and the design of the cars
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Hehe, Stig it would appear that the Mclarens are going backward :(. They are by far the sexier of the cars out there but it would seem they are now also the least developed. :(

Alonso & Webber had a brilliant fight towards the end of the race. I actually thought Alonso would win it and was surprised to see the Ferrari lose the race.

Loved the start of the race. Had a lot of fights and close calls.

*edit*

Forgot to mention that scrap between Alonso & Hamilton was magical. Loved watching the two of them drag race down the DRS straight and still fight it out in the corners.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Hey Stig! *knock knock*

Those Mclarens were flying in the previous race and in FP1&2 today, where are you? :? Maybe this photo will bring you back...

I am definitely starting to change my tune regarding Alonso, he is driving well and Ferrari are doing well to get a badly developed car up to the ranks of the car to beat. Big up to them.

Its going to be a good race this weekend and I cant wait to see how it unfolds! :D
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

I am around. Just have had nothing to say lately. but after Jensons 2nd place last week and the overall promising pace of the McLaren I now have something to cheer about again....oh and I was dancing for joy when I heard that mr smug face got a 20 second penalty :mrgreen:

I still dislike Alonso(Borat as I like to call him), but he has been driving well and I do give that team a nod for turning what was a lemon into a winner.

//I like that pic of Hamilton there....use it as my sig or avi I must
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Yeah I agreed with and did not agree with that penalty mainly because of that one race where Hamilton overtook Rosberg with all four tires off track and kept his position :roll: but then this is F1 and different Stewards for different races provides for some interesting talk points. Hopefully Seb stops being so smug all the time :P.

A good read on how the FIA are being hard on RBR but with other teams they are being more lenient.

http://badgergp.com/2012/07/loops-and-holes/
LOOPS AND HOLES
by Geoff Collins on Jul 26th, 2012
I'm not really sure what the original meaning of the word 'loophole' was, but it has come to mean the exploitation of a law or regulation, and Red Bull are the masters at this.

I can't help wondering what would have happened if Adrian Newey had decided to become a Tax Lawyer instead of an Engineer, but if I worked at the Inland Revenue I wouldn't bother checking his Tax Returns - you just know it would be legal. Not what was expected, but legal.

And so, just one race before the summer break, the FIA have announced that the Red Bull engine map is not legal. The FIA has issued a clarification of Article 5.5.3 of the Technical Regulations, which strikes me as a bit unfair.

This is not the first time that Red Bull have suffered - there was the flexible front wing theory back in 2010 when the weight used to test deflection was doubled (the Red Bull took that in its stride and carried on flexing). And there was the slot in the floor, that the team had to fill before Canada.

Small things maybe, but F1 is about adding together miniscule amounts of time. And Red Bull are good that, only for the FIA to come along and say "Ah, but that's not what we meant".

Well, say it properly the first time then, or be prepared to admit that you got it wrong (as you did with the Mercedes Double-DRS) and let the team keep using it.

F1 teams invest fortunes trying to get as close to the letter of the regulations, and they should not be penalised for doing that. Red Bull should be allowed to use this development for a limited period of time (three months, three races maybe?) but they should be allowed to benefit from their ingenuity. The regulations should say that minor clarifiactions may be issued, to take effect after a certain time.

Instead, a clarification has been issued with immediate effect. Although according to section 2.2 of the regulations: "Changes to these regulations may only be made in accordance with the provisions of The 2009 Concorde Agreement" so presumably the Concorde Agreement has a bit that says "if the FIA gets arsy about something, it can clarify regulations whenever it likes".

A bit of consistency wouldn't go amiss here - remember the 2009 fiasco about the word "impervious" where (to paraphrase) a sieve is considered impervious as liquid doesn't actually pass through the metal, it goes through the holes. That's where the double diffuser idea came from, and it may have made Jenson Button World Champion, but was it fair?

On too many occasions, the FIA act randomly. The Mercedes DDRS was legal, but contravened the spirit of the regulations outlawing F-Ducts. The Red Bull map is legal, but contravenes the spirit of outlawing exhaust-blown diffusers. And there was Lotus's (née Toleman) system of anti-dive on the front brakes, outlawed pre-Melbourne. That struck me as legal too.

Anyway, plus ca Change, as they say in the Place de la Concorde. Red Bull's engine map is illegal, and Red Bull say it makes no difference.

But one prediction - each time Red Bull has one of these exhaust-blowing gizmos on the car, Mark Webber's performance drops off (see Barcelona, Hockenheim). I expect to see him on the podium in Budapest.
So yeah Stig you can be happy that RBR is being picked on at least ;).
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Yea, I do quite like that the FIA are on RBR's case and leaving McLaren and their drivers alone for once.

Vettel and his constant smugness annoyed me very much . But right now I see that the smug smile has been wiped off his face, he did not look too happy last weekend(seemed a bit ragged and desperate during the race too). Today he had to work rather hard to get to Q3 and could not come near the time of Hamilton, even the lotus was faster :mrgreen: .......Ferrari seem slower than one might have thought, but then they will probably do well in the race :|

I am very happy with Hamilton. Dominated the whole of qualifying and did not have to use extra sets of tires to get through to different parts of the session :mrgreen: . Now I just hope that the cars race pace will be as good
atomwissenschaft

Post by atomwissenschaft »

Guess who hit Hockenheim last weekend. Was an awsome experience, eventhough it cost A LOT!

More points than you!
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

You must be the luckiest member of this forum.....I would give anything to go to an F1 race
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Yes yes yes, Hamilton you beauty :mrgreen: :D :D :D

//good job by lotus too.....and even better was the absence of the RBR and Ferrari from the podium :lol:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

It was a good race! Mclaren managed tires and strategy very well! Big up to Hamilton seems the Hungaroring is his fav racing track.

Loved Vettel saying over the radio that he is faster than Button and the team must do something about it only to be told by his Engineer to do his job while they do theirs :lol: after that he dropped away from Button as if to say stuff you lot. Man that was classic toys throwing out the cot... :lol:

My wife got excited when Kimi started storming through the field, wish he could have won but second is just as good.

/Not commenting about a certain person going to a F1 race... Jealousy makes you nasty so my mommy says... :P
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Anakha56 wrote:Loved Vettel saying over the radio that he is faster than Button and the team must do something about it only to be told by his Engineer to do his job while they do theirs :lol: after that he dropped away from Button as if to say stuff you lot. Man that was classic toys throwing out the cot... :lol:
:lol: vettel is all mature and nice when everything goes his way but when it does not he becomes a bit of a chop

I loved every second of his woes :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just not sure how jenson ended up in 7th when his team mate was in control of the race and won :?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Yeah Vettel lost a couple of points with me with that outburst. :(
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Anakha56 wrote:Yeah Vettel lost a couple of points with me with that outburst. :(
I was in hysterics, dont think I have ever laughed that hard during an F1 race. The way his race engineer told him off was awesome :lol:

But sadly the next GP is only in September again :cry:
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

The last time I watched a complete F1 race, Raikonnen was at McLaren and there were only 2 competitive teams (Ferrari and McLaren) and the races were broing as hell.

I watched the last 2 races, and I must say that the racing is FANTASTIC! I am a Mercedes fan, but I have no problem with them not winning if the races are all this exciting and competitive!

The near colision of the 2 Lotus cars had me on th eedge of my seat! and the battle between Vettel and Button was freakin awersome!
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

GreyWolf wrote:I watched the last 2 races, and I must say that the racing is FANTASTIC! I am a Mercedes fan, but I have no problem with them not winning if the races are all this exciting and competitive!

The near colision of the 2 Lotus cars had me on th eedge of my seat! and the battle between Vettel and Button was freakin awersome!
Not sure it was much of a battle. Just vettel sitting behind him winging to his race engineer :lol:

Yea that near collision with the lotus cars was real nail biting stuff :shock:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Stig it was a good battle of Button just going fast enough to frustrate Vettel and keep him behind. I agree with GW it was good to watch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19064856
Why Mercedes are struggling

By Gary Anderson
BBC F1 technical analyst

The Hungarian Grand Prix was a new low for Mercedes in a season that, over the last few races, has been a story of consistent decline.
It was, first of all, a bit of an embarrassing race for Michael Schumacher.
The aborted start was caused by him stopping in the wrong grid position. He then erroneously switched his engine off - thinking of procedures that applied in the last decade when he was at Ferrari but which have now changed because of different rules.
Starting from the pit lane, Schumacher then got a puncture and incurred a speeding penalty when he came in for new tyres.
But those are just simple mistakes. Much more concerning has been the team's general downward trend in competitiveness.
Mercedes started the season promisingly, with some good qualifying results at the first two races, and then took a dominant win with Nico Rosberg at the Chinese Grand Prix.
At that time, there was a lot of attention on their clever 'double DRS' system.
This links the rear-wing drag-reduction overtaking aid that is on all cars with the front wing to give an extra boost in straight-line speed by reducing the front wing performance as well as the rear.
Back in March, the system aroused a lot of controversy, as many of Mercedes' rivals thought it was illegal - and still do.

Carry on reading for some good insight.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/8029889/
Neale: We were out-developed
Managing Director admits team did not progress enough during opening races
By William Esler. Last Updated: August 29, 2012 11:10am

McLaren Managing Director Jonathan Neale has admitted the team were out-developed during the opening part of the season - but is sure they have now hit back.

The Woking-based outfit have traditionally been one of the strongest developers of the car during the season, and after starting the year with the quickest package, many expected McLaren to dominate.

However, it was not until Canada that Lewis Hamilton added to Jenson Button's victory in Australia, by which point Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes and Williams had all taken victories.

"I think we were out-developed around Easter time by some of our competitors and I think we have out developed our competitors through June," Neale said.

"July and August are still being played out so we will see. There is only a tenth or two separating each car over a lap, so it is still very marginal.

"It is exciting for the fans and spectators with many different drivers winning different races and different teams coming to the fore and dropping back again and we look forward to that.

"The last race was obviously very pleasing. It was the 150th pole position for the team which we should be very proud of. Lewis showed good pace in Hungary. I think that the updates we brought to the car in Germany and Hungary have definitely increased a degree of competitiveness to us, but we can't take anything for granted.

"It was very pleasing to see Jenson in fourth place having a strong qualifying as well. So we have reasons to believe we are making progress but it was a very tight race and I think it will be in the next few races as well."

Pit-stop blunders cost McLaren points during the first half of the season, but, they bounced back to regularly top the stop times, including the fastest ever stop in Hockenheim.

"I am really pleased with how the team have got around the pit stops," Neal added.

"Obviously it is nice to have quick pit stops, but, we want to have consistency. There is no point in having 2.31 seconds one week then six and seven seconds the next."
@Stiggy there is your answer :).

I cant wait for this weekend! The race is back and we have so many drivers up front who are specialists at this track. :D :D :D
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

What a race that was. Tons of overtaking action and the biggest first corner accident I have seen in years, reminded me a bit of spa 1998 where half the field got taken out. Not sure anyone is to blame for that incident, Grosean probably should not have moved across the track so violently but then you could say Hamilton should have backed off a bit. But really i think it was just unlucky, Hamilton had nowhere to go really, and the unsuspecting Alonso ended up with both Hamilton and Groesen on top of him :lol: . And there was a certain mr crashy(Maldenardo) who jumped the start(at least that is how it looked) :?

Besides that, Brilliance from Button. The McLaren was working perfectly and they had the fastest pit stop of 2.8s....Mclaren FTW!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

THE_STIG wrote:... and the unsuspecting Alonso ended up with both Hamilton and Groesen on top of him :lol: .
You are a sick, bitter, twisted little individual if you find the closest thing we've had in years to a fatal accident amusing.

(In related news, Grosjean has received a one race ban for setting the accident off. In my opinion, deserved.)
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Ron2K wrote:
THE_STIG wrote:... and the unsuspecting Alonso ended up with both Hamilton and Groesen on top of him :lol: .
You are a sick, bitter, twisted little individual if you find the closest thing we've had in years to a fatal accident amusing.

(In related news, Grosjean has received a one race ban for setting the accident off. In my opinion, deserved.)
And since it wasn't fatal and we're all human we can sit back and see the humour in the situtation.

And feel more than a little for poor Alonso of course! Schumacher's 24 successive points scoring finishes was there for the taking and then, well - it rained cars on him.

Pretty amazing accident - one doesn't realise how much power is involved till you see a 640kg rag doll being thrown into the air.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

So, I accidentally F1 2010 (PC). Sao Paolo - Time Trial - Lotus Cosworth - 1:09:695, is this dangerous?
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

Ron2K wrote:

Lighten up Ron. Geez. It was a racing incident. Thank goodness no one was injured, but getting all stuck up on what might have been isn't really a good way to start a Monday (14 minutes away from Monday is close enough).

I flipped between the race and the cricket. Dunno which one got me more upset...