Surprise! It's just a game...

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
rustypup

Re: Surprise! It's just a game...

Post by rustypup »

GreyWolf wrote:
  • the F1 championship
    carbon-fiber
you're still not being very specific... formula 1 mostly consumes technological advances - despite all the pageantry it is still primarily focused on burning through fossil fuels as rapidly as possible... this is not advancement but refinement...

carbon-fibre tech has always been driven by the aeronautic fields of endeavour. the technology may be used in sporting disciplines but this is consumption, not innovation...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

rustypup wrote:
GreyWolf wrote:
  • the F1 championship
    carbon-fiber
you're still not being very specific... formula 1 mostly consumes technological advances - despite all the pageantry it is still primarily focused on burning through fossil fuels as rapidly as possible... this is not advancement but refinement...

carbon-fibre tech has always been driven by the aeronautic fields of endeavour. the technology may be used in sporting disciplines but this is consumption, not innovation...
- Honda's V-TEC system was originally used on their Formula 1 cars, and are now basically used on all their engines. Variable valve timing has improved combustion engine efficiency.
- Although they did not INVENT turbo chargers, Formula 1 did make great strides in advancing the technology during the 80's. As an example, by the end of the so called "Turbo" era, Forula 1 cars were producing up to 1400bhp from 1.3l turbo charged engines.

As a side note, the advancement of technology in F1 has been stymied at every turn by the regulatory body. Imagine what kind of tech we would have today if F1 tech had been allowed to evolve naturally?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

still burning fossil fuels in internal combustion engines... again - not advancement or innovation but refinement.. :)... not that this is an entirely bad thing but most of the tech used in formula 1 is still too prohibitively expensive/untested to ever roll out into the sedan market...

to clarify: we don't need cars which can do 500mph. we need transportation mechanisms which don't burn fossil fuels, require the installation and maintenance of expensive roadways and that don't produce stockpiles of non-degradable/unrecoverable rubber, plastic, heavy metals and foul oil...
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

The tech does filter down to the consumer though. Moving away from F1 to Rallying, The Audi quatro system, first used on their championship winning race car is now used on basically all their models.

Sticking with Audi we have their win at LeMans with their diesel powered race car. If you read top gear magazine you would see that they now basically recommend the diesel version of MOST of the cars available on the market.

Then lets go to Mazda, who were racing rotary powered engines wherever they could, resulting in the Renesis engine in the RX8. You want innovation? The renesis engine can run on Hydrogen with just a few modificaitons.
rustypup wrote: we need transportation mechanisms which don't burn fossil fuels
you turning into some sort of commie hippy?
rustypup wrote: that don't produce stockpiles of non-degradable/unrecoverable rubber, plastic, heavy metals and foul oil...
I think as far back the 90's Mercedes was making car that were 90% recyclable. Don't quote me on that figure. But they were using recyclable / bio degradable materials for everything from the paint to the roof lining.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

@ rusty read this:

http://www.formula1blog.com/2011/01/06/ ... -industry/

And yes i know what you are going to say...

@ wolf rusty will now ignore your argument because you mentioned "top gear" :P
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

rustypup wrote:to clarify: we don't need cars which can do 500mph. we need transportation mechanisms which don't burn fossil fuels, require the installation and maintenance of expensive roadways and that don't produce stockpiles of non-degradable/unrecoverable rubber, plastic, heavy metals and foul oil...
So you want a teleport?
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

interesting but only partially relevant...
perhaps we really have the aviation industry to thank as F1 has taken a lot of their best ideas from them.
F1 is about being macho, fast cars and heaps of advertising revenue.... and a hardcore rabid fanbase who would applaud the use of engines that ran on puppies screams if it sounded manlier...

for the record, the push for recyclable materials did not arise from F1 but from the motor industry as a whole... a rapidly dwindling supply of materials coupled with growing demand is what drove the innovation in material recovery... F1 hardware is hardly ever recycled in order to enforce secrecy... even the tyres are more often ground down and used as fuel instead of being reused...
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.f1scarlet.com/f1_roadcar.html
Formula1 and the Road Car

Click on the link to read an article

Part I: Improving the Breed
Part II: Improving the Brand
Part III: F1 For the Road - Ferrari
Part IV: F1 For the Road - McLaren

Here, in a series of articles, we investigate the input of Formula One on the road car industry, and assesses whether the manufacturers are in it for its marketing or its development potential.
I have not read it yet so I have no idea if this will be in my favour or not. Just feeding the troll... :P
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

rustypup wrote:F1 is about being macho and fast cars .... and a hardcore drivers who would applaud the use of engines that ran on puppies screams if it got them to go faster...
Fixed for the 60s/70s/80s. My personal favourite was James Hunt. Here was a man who knew how to live. Goes out partying night before the race, gets up in the morning, wins a race, and celebrates with a cigarette and more partying. He also gave some awesome interviews:

BBC reporter: what does it take to drive as fast as you?
JH: Balls, big balls.

Legen - wait for it - dairy.

As for the innovation? This era also had a lot of it: from Lotus putting the engine behind the driver, to the 6 wheel Tyrrell, to the rise and fall of the turbos.

I would have to agree with you on the advertising thing in the modern era though. :(
- H. L. Mancken
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Anakha56 wrote:I have no idea if this will be in my favour or not
not. :)
GreyWolf wrote:I would have to agree with you on the advertising thing in the modern era though.
it is all-pervasive and growing... i know Anakha56 finds my fanaticism around the evils of marketing amusing, but that's only because he has yet to be exposed to the real evil behind it...
more airy-fairy wishful thinking, disinformation and blather... there has been no empirical evidence that sport achieves any of these benefits... we keep getting bombarded with this nonsense and nobody challenges it because it has to be true... right? otherwise they wouldn't keep repeating it... right?

added to which is the careful exclusion of any mention of the odds of achieving success in professional sports.... care to compare the number of available slots on any given team vs the number of contenders?... you stand more chance of winning the lottery at least twice in your lifetime...

most of these "academies" and "developmental workshops" are there for marketing either the sport, a few characters within the sport or to save face as the result of some scandal, (ie, misdirection and PR)...
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

@rustypup

Hell make no mistake I am not endorsing any of the links.....personally the wiki link struck a chord....

"
Sport" comes from the Old French desport meaning "leisure". American English uses the term "sports" to refer to this general type of recreational activity, whereas other regional dialects use the singular "sport". The Persian word for sport is based on the root bord, meaning "winning". The Chinese term for sport, tiyu (体育; 體育) connotes physical training. The modern Greek term for sport is Αθλητισμός (athlitismos), directly cognate with the English terms "athlete" and "athleticism".

The oldest definition of sport in English (1300) is of anything humans find amusing or entertaining.[1] Other meanings include gambling and events staged for the purpose of gambling; hunting; and games and diversions, including ones that require exercise.[2] Roget's defines the noun sport as an "activity engaged in for relaxation and amusement" with synonyms including diversion and recreation.[3]
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Rusty, I have seats available in our co private box for some of the upcoming super 15 games at Ellispark.
Just get your bottom up here.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Sojourn wrote:Rusty, I have seats available in our co private box for some of the upcoming super 15 games at Ellispark.
Before I forget, as a non member you have to complete a 2 page compulsory marketing survey with all your contact details while there.
senile

Post by senile »

Sojourn wrote:Rusty, I have seats available in our co private box for some of the upcoming super 15 games at Ellispark.
I the event that rustypup declines (no doubt), may I take you up on that offer?
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Sojourn wrote:
Before I forget, as a non member you have to complete a 2 page compulsory marketing survey with all your contact details while there.

Now that.....is going to the pup's blood pumping to get there......

"ooh a questionnaire...."

Name: Pup
Surname: Rusty
Sex: Tranny (not particularly picky I get most stuff from hamin)
Contact number: 0800 Dial an ownage.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Sojourn wrote:as a non member you have to complete a 2 page compulsory marketing survey with all your contact details
or i could use them to make a bonfire over which i could roast your marketing department slowly for a few hours... until the swat team removed the stick with a nail from my cold, dead, hands.... :lol: