Surprise! It's just a game...

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
lancelot

Re: Surprise! It's just a game...

Post by lancelot »

Western Force from Perth, how about 51-6? %)#@ it what a disgrace.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

jamin_za wrote:
lancelot wrote:We cannot even tolerate the beliefs of others
Well if you believe the Stormers know how to play rugby you need to have your beliefs mocked and belittled
http://www.superxv.com/table/
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Doesn't sport increase the quality of life of a bunch of people? Escapism and abandon is good to a degree. I would hate to turn into sour old man. Whatever lifts our spirits and doesn't negatively affect a majority of others is good on the whole. No?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

rustypup wrote:where would humanity be if space agencies the world over were receiving the same funding as formula 1? :|
top be fair, a lot of what manufacturers learn while building Formula 1 ( and other race cars), they put into their production vehicles. So it does benefit humanity in a way.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

KALSTER wrote: Escapism and abandon is good to a degree.
"If it does no damage, where's the harm?" is the same thinking which saw homoeopathy shoot into common acceptance...

when the fans are engaging in riots, hooliganism and hit-men for goalies/soccer teams who make mistakes, then it becomes something else?

no.... it's the same beast... first they sit around "analysing" gameplay as if it matters... when a large enough group starts to believe their "analysis" actually does matter they run around beating up anyone who disagrees... once they've got enough of a following, oprah ensues...

fandom is the enemy of critical thinking and as such should be discouraged/challenged at every opportunity...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Only by losers
Prime

Post by Prime »

Rusty, what about Solar Racing?

IE, the World Solar Challenge, and it's local variants?
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

lancelot wrote:Only by losers
:P cop out...
Prime wrote:what about Solar Racing?
same problems as all the rest... having to resort to shoe-horning scientific advancement into "sport" in order to scare up a few measly funds to advance our knowledge around harnessing solar energy is not only sad, it's ever so slightly depressing...

while i could imagine that building and testing the car is quite rewarding, i can't picture myself getting worked up about watching multiple versions charging around a track for an hour...
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

fandom is the enemy of critical thinking and as such should be discouraged/challenged at every opportunity...
But sport isn't primarily a fiefdom of critical thinking for the fans. It is more about the excitement and sense of regional or national pride and general entertainment value of it. Just look at how the Rugby World Cup in 1995 and 2007 brought us together as a nation. The same happens in smaller scale the rest of the time as well IMO. Sure, you will of course find acts of hooliganism from time to time, but as far as I can tell, the overall effect is positive.

I don't want to live in a world anything like as is depicted in Equilibrium. Sport is for many nearly the only source of exhilaration and fun in their lives. Life is to be enjoyed and sport helps.
Last edited by KALSTER on 04 Apr 2011, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

You do realise that competition brings about the biggest advancements?

2 examples I can think of: natural selection, war.

Rebuttal?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Prime

Post by Prime »

rustypup wrote:
lancelot wrote:Only by losers
:P cop out...
Prime wrote:what about Solar Racing?
same problems as all the rest... having to resort to shoe-horning scientific advancement into "sport" in order to scare up a few measly funds to advance our knowledge around harnessing solar energy is not only sad, it's ever so slightly depressing...

while i could imagine that building and testing the car is quite rewarding, i can't picture myself getting worked up about watching multiple versions charging around a track for an hour...
They don't charge around the track, they race across the country. 3300 Km on solar power is actually quite a challenge

So you are telling me that there is no future in solar tech? Excuse me while I fall off my chair laughing. :lol:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Prime wrote:They don't charge around the track, they race across the country. 3300 Km on solar power is actually quite a challenge
I could not imagine anything more boring than watching some solar cars drive 3300km.

Well... maybe spending time in the company of people who enjoy watching solar cars drive 3300km might possibly be more boring than actually watching it... we'll call it a draw.
Prime

Post by Prime »

jamin_za wrote:
Prime wrote:They don't charge around the track, they race across the country. 3300 Km on solar power is actually quite a challenge
I could not imagine anything more boring than watching some solar cars drive 3300km.

Well... maybe spending time in the company of people who enjoy watching solar cars drive 3300km might possibly be more boring than actually watching it... we'll call it a draw.
It's like chess and...tennis...it's not a spectator sport. :P
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Sport makes us happy. Happiness is good for us.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... -much.html
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

KALSTER wrote:Sport makes us happy.
Were you on Facebook when the South Africa lost to New Zealand?
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Well, usually. :)
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

rustypup wrote: where would humanity be if space agencies the world over were receiving the same funding as formula 1? :|
Oi! Leave my sport out of this silly little debate okay. F1 has improved the safety of all cars on the road with its advancements!

While I agree with rusty that the money could be put to better use I would still say we need our sports fix for entertainment purposes...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

If you want entertainment:

1. Put me in a room with 10 bottles of brandy, 25l of coke and lots of ice.

2. Film the ensuing events and show it on tv.

3. ???

4. Profit!
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

That would be reality tv at it's best.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Hman wrote:If you want entertainment:

3. ???

4. Profit!
That works out to over 32.5 litres of vomit. :?
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

KALSTER wrote: It is more about the excitement and sense of regional or national pride
how many regional players were born and raised in province they play for?.. if our sense of regional or national pride is tied to a group of sweaty men groping each other over a ball, there's something seriously screwy in the state of denmark... :/

this is why i say sport damages critical faculties... the marketing may be bent toward engendering a sense of pride, but that's all it is... marketing... it's about creating the appearance of suspense and conflict and mostly about putting bums in seats and generating revenue... nothing more...
GreyWolf wrote:competition brings about the biggest advancements?
any examples to share to support this? aside from treating muscle/groin strain injuries which are almost unique to the sporting world...
Prime wrote:So you are telling me that there is no future in solar tech?
err... no... i'm telling you that i find it depressing that science needs to adopt the trappings of sport in order to get funding... the work being done is noble and will hopefully produce something worthwhile... just not going to happen in a hurry...
Anakha56 wrote:F1 has improved the safety of all cars on the road with its advancements!
F1 is also responsible for producing multiple generations of dysfunctional man-children, (aka, clarksons), racing around our national roads requiring improved safety measures... it's a self-perpetuating cycle of silliness... :P
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Surprise! It's just a game...

Post by Stuart »

On the other hand, sport is fun.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Stuart wrote:sport is fun.
i have never disputed that playing a game can be fun... just that the manufactured fandom and rivalries around it is.... a little special needs...

also, watching someone else play a game is just a frivolous use of time. getting worked up about a game you're watching is indicative of a problem...

screaming obscenities at players and referees or invoking religious observances for a well placed kick is outright malema...
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

rustypup wrote:
GreyWolf wrote:competition brings about the biggest advancements?
any examples to share to support this? aside from treating muscle/groin strain injuries which are almost unique to the sporting world...
I did mention evolution and war.

But if you want sport specific:
- the F1 championship is one. Remember it was bringing about changes way before Clarkson came on the scene. (Also, there is nothing wrong with driving fast. I will take you for a spin in my 540 one day, and you tell me if you don't get a fizzy feeling from it.)
- The continued development of advanced materials such as carbon-fiber can be directly linked to sports
- H. L. Mancken
Prime

Post by Prime »

KALSTER wrote:
Hman wrote:If you want entertainment:

3. ???

4. Profit!
That works out to over 32.5 litres of vomit. :?
And a 3 litres cortina. :lol:

Someone really needs to tell Boksburg that the boerewors curtain has fallen :lol:
rustypup wrote:
Prime wrote:So you are telling me that there is no future in solar tech?
err... no... i'm telling you that i find it depressing that science needs to adopt the trappings of sport in order to get funding... the work being done is noble and will hopefully produce something worthwhile... just not going to happen in a hurry...
Yeah well, it provides a platform and a motivation. Ever tried to do a project that has no goal or no big finish? :P