F1 2011!

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Re: F1 2011!

Post by THE_STIG »

Anakha56 wrote::lol: I was actually waiting for your post to read "The FIA are showing their true colours by not giving MSC a penalty for the wqay he drives!" :lol:.

Button is the new "Professor" for Formula 1. I love the way he picks his fights and gets the job done. I wonder if he and the old Professor (Alain Prost) have been talking because he reminds me of Alain quite a bit.

Oh and did anyone else see Vettels Red Bull suffer from a bad start off the grid? Red Bull really need to get a good launch control system...

One of the greats said that Vettel will win the championship because his rivals will be unable to fight for the points. There is no clear second so Vettel's rivals are taking the points off each other and not off Vettel, he just needs to manage his race and he has shown that he can do that very well...
:lol: I was wondering what would have been done if it were Hamilton who was moving around.

Yes Button is similar to Alain.......who also drove for McLaren and had a team mate with a yellow helmet but unfortunately his team mate liked bashing him(and other rivals) off the track :roll: . I think button is probably the smartest driver there, just like Alain back in the day.

Vettels bad start would be down to the Renault engine no doubt, or the KERS system. The one in the Merc looks to be the best MS always gains lots of places at the start. Alonso knows how to get a good start, but aint fast enough to stay in the lead(I never thought I would say this but I world rather have a Ferrari in 1st than a RBR)
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Sam Michael will join McLaren as sporting director from 2012 onwards, it was announced on Tuesday. Michael resigned from his current post as Williams’ technical director in May and his last race with the British team will be the forthcoming Singapore event later this month.

“I’m extremely excited to be joining Vodafone McLaren Mercedes,” said Michael. “Being a racer my whole life, I know that McLaren is one of the all-time greats of Formula One. I already know and respect many of the team’s senior technical management figures, and becoming a member of that excellent working unit was one of the prime attractions of this new position.

“Equally, for some time I’ve closely observed and greatly admired both Lewis and Jenson as grade-one drivers, and therefore regard it as an enormous privilege to be able to work with both of them. I’ve spent 11 seasons with Williams, have many fond memories, and truly wish them all the best.

“In the near future, however, I will become 100 per cent focused on McLaren, and will be aiming to ensure that the team’s famous rocket-red victory T-shirts will be seen many times over the coming years.”

Michael started his Grand Prix career with Team Lotus in 1993 and joined Jordan Grand Prix in 1995, where he established the team’s R&D group before progressing into a senior race engineering role. In 2001 he joined Williams as chief operations engineer, becoming the team’s technical director in 2004.

“Speaking on behalf of everyone at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, I’m very pleased to welcome Sam as an important senior addition to our race team,” said McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh. “He’ll bring a very valuable blend of experience and expertise to our pit wall, and will also enrich the technical management we provide for our drivers.

“I’m certain he’ll work extremely well with our senior technical management team, which I firmly believe will now become the strongest in all of Formula One.”

Frank Williams, founder and team principal of Williams, added: "I am delighted that Sam has found a new role that will enable him to continue to apply his energy, passion and experience to Formula One. On behalf of everyone at Williams I wish him a successful move to his new team.

"I would also like to thank Sam for his help in enabling a swift and smooth transition to our new technical leadership. Mike Coughlan and Jason Somerville are settling in very well and the restructuring will be complete when Mark Gillan joins us as chief operations engineer on 19 September."

As McLaren’s sporting director, Michael will join the senior management team in addition to taking specific responsibility for the development and management of the team’s trackside operations. It is hoped his vast experience and profound understanding of race operations will enhance the team’s on-track capability.
Source
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

What a race!

Quali was interesting with Hamilton and Mclaren stuffing things up. You can see Webber is starting to get used to these Pirelli tires now if only he could do something about those bad starts... :?

Vettel (or as one F1 tweeter I follow said Vettel-Bot) was again in a class of his own. Got pole, nearly lost it going into the first corner (so he also needs to nail his starts) and then pulls a massive gap on Button. He is quick and I reckon he still had a lot of speed in him toward the end.

Button was sublime. I am so enjoying watching him race because he does the best overtakes and makes them looks so easy. He is easily one of the best drivers for me.

Hamilton oh boy... Puncture in quali and then destroying his front wing on Massa's rear tire... He needs to focus his driving, he has great talent but without focus he is now looking like Vettel at the start of last years season. He can easily be as great as Senna (his idol) but he just needs to calm down and focus his speed and skill. Maybe he needs to take lessons from Button? Who knows but he needs to do something to sort out this run of bad form for next season.

Well done to Force India and Di Resta I can easily see him rising up to the top in the next couple of years. He maybe another Vettel who knows...

MSC well I reckon he was unlucky with his crash. He was clearly faster and it looked pretty much like the Webber incident being sucked into the back of the front car and having no-where to go. Loved this tweet:
BadgerGP Badger
We'd give that a 7/10, it could have been a 9/10 but Webber's Valencia effort included a full 180 loop. #f1
I gotta feel for Massa he is trying so hard but lady luck just does not dance for him. Also their are rumors that he will be replaced next year. I hope he outperforms Alonso in the next coming races speaking of which...

No safety car fix win for the Spaniard last night. Brilliant move by Webber to overtake him but some good hard, fast driving by Alonso to retake the position on the pit stop phase. Alonso just did a mediocre drive nothing special to see.

All in all a good race, lets hope for next year they make it shorter because damn it was a long race...

Oh this weekends juicy rumor? Kimi to replace Rubens at Williams next year ;).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Anakha56 wrote:No safety car fix win for the Spaniard last night. Brilliant move by Webber to overtake him but some good hard, fast driving by Alonso to retake the position on the pit stop phase. Alonso just did a mediocre drive nothing special to see.

Oh this weekends juicy rumor? Kimi to replace Rubens at Williams next year ;).
Yea no cheating this time. I found that whole safety car thing in 08 to be very suspect and when they announced that Renault had deliberately caused a crash to bring the safety car out that confirmed my suspicions :roll:

I dont really think Kimi will replace Rubens, kimi has been away for 2 years now and the Williams team is rather useless lately.........so are STR, what happened to them sharing tech with RBR :?

Yes as always good job Vettel, but can't you have a small crash just for once so that somebody else can win.......And Hamilton please learn where the front wing is. I know you cant see it form inside the car but just be a little more careful with it
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Two things to peeve Stiggie off ;).

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/721 ... s-bravado-
Drivers to discuss Hamilton's bravado'

Lewis Hamilton is set to be the hot topic when the F1 drivers holding their briefing with Charlie Whiting in Japan.

The McLaren driver was again in hot water at the previous race in Singapore when he hit the back of Felipe Massa's Ferrari while fighting for position.

The collision resulted in a puncture for Massa, a broken front wing for Hamilton and also a drive-through penalty.

It also resulted in a minor clash after the grand prix when Massa, who reckons Hamilton "does not use his brain", confronted the McLaren driver as he was giving a post-race television interview.

However, according to Autosprint, the ramifications of Hamilton's latest "bravado" will not stop there.

The Italian publication reports that 'Hamilton's colleagues have announced a meeting at the Suzuka Grand Prix with FIA delegate Charlie Whiting.'

And the point of the meeting will be to discuss the "antics" of the Brit in 'Malaysia, Monaco, Montreal, Silverstone, Hungaroring, Belgium and, also, in Singapore.'

One man who would probably support action against Hamilton is Niki Lauda with the triple World Champ saying: "I do not understand how one with the talent of Hamilton can be so stupid every time."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formul ... ilton.html
Destroy Hamilton! The instruction given to Massa ahead of Singapore smash

Felipe Massa was urged to 'destroy' Lewis Hamilton prior to their collision in last weekend's Singapore Grand Prix.

The instruction, which appears in the official video edit of the race, came from Massa's engineer in the build-up to the incident on lap 12.

'Hold Hamilton as much as we can,' Rob Smedley, who hails from Middlesbrough, told Massa in what appears to be the opening stages of the grand prix.

'Destroy his race as much as we can. Come on, boy!' added Smedley.

Massa and Hamilton were duelling for fifth place when the British star made a typically aggressive move on Massa into Turn 7.

Hamilton misjudged the manoeuvre and made contact with the Brazilian's Ferrari for the third time this year.

The collision left Hamilton with a damaged front wing and Massa with a rear puncture.

Both drivers limped back to the pits, before Hamilton was penalised with a drive-through penalty for causing the collision. 'Of course, I have a drive-through,' Hamilton said.

Massa then confronted Hamilton after the race while the McLaren driver was giving a post-race interview to Dutch TV.

The Brazilian, who missed out on the 2008 world championship to Hamilton by just one point, grabbed the Englishman and followed it up with a sarcastic thumbs up and the message: 'Good job, well done.' Hamilton hit back by saying: 'Don't touch me, man!'

The fresh twist in the official race edit on formula1.com, will do little to appease the already-fractious relationship between the two drivers.

Hamilton has been involved in a number of high-profile accidents this year, and trails Sebastian Vettel by a mammoth 141 points in the championship.

Massa, who has endured another disappointing campaign, is said to be fighting for his Ferrari career with Jenson Button and Sergio Perez both tipped to replace the Brazilian at the Italian marque in 2013.
In 3... 2.. 1.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Mmmmmm.......I see Ferrari are not as innocent as they think they are, Rob told Massa to hold up Hamilton and ruin his race so in a way Rob sort of caused the collision. But come on now why are they continuously giving Hamilton so much stick for this......other drivers also make similar mistakes, and Senna used to do worse things like crashing into his own team mate just so he could win the championship.

Also they say Button is going to take Massa's place. I dont think so, Button is not Ferrari material
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/722 ... -year-deal
Button signs new multi-year deal

McLaren have finally ended speculation over Jenson Button's future by confirming he has signed a new multi-year contract with the team.

The Woking-based outfit announced in September that they would take up an option to retain Button, who joined them on the back of his 2009 Championship success with Brawn GP, for the 2012 season.

However, media reports claimed that confirmation of the deal was being held up as McLaren wanted Button to stay beyond 2012 while the former World Champ wanted the team to take up the option for next season only before starting discussions on a longer contract at a later stages.

Speculation also linked Button with a move to Ferrari in 2013, but the rumours have now been put to bed with McLaren confirming that he has signed new contract.

'Jenson's re-signing is a move that will strengthen Vodafone McLaren Mercedes' long-term stability as it continues to grow and develop its race-winning form into further world championship successes,' the team said in a statement.

Button feels he can achieve his ambition of winning World Championships at McLaren.

"I've never felt more at home at a team than I do at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes," Button said.

"I've won four of the greatest races of my life here, I'm currently lying second in the Drivers' World Championship, and I feel that I'm driving better than ever. You can only achieve that with the right level of support - and I truly believe that the passion and determination to win are stronger here at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes than anywhere else.

"As a grand prix driver, those are incredibly powerful feelings to share and be part of, and they've only reinforced my desire to commit my long-term future to this team.

"I've made no secret of my ambition to continue winning races and World Championships, and I fully believe this is the place where I can achieve those aims.

"We at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes know how to win, and we're busy refining an organisation that will enable us to keep on doing that for years to come."
As for the Massa message read this blog:

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/10/ ... f-rubbish/
What a load of rubbish…

October 3, 2011 by joesaward

Stories that Ferrari ordered Felipe Massa to “destroy” Lewis Hamilton’s race in Singapore are a classic example of modern Internet journalism gone bananas. The stories are based on a radio message from Massa’s engineer Rob Smedley which was not included in the live television broadcast, in which the English engineer told Massa to “Hold Hamilton as much as we can. Destroy his race as much as we can”.

The circumstances, one should remember, were as follows: Hamilton started the race at a disadvantage because the FIA had decided that he should not be given an extra tyre, despite having had a puncture in qualifying. He was then boxed in at the start by Mark Webber and had to lift off and so dropped from fourth on the grid to eighth. He recovered to sixth in the early laps, passing the two Mercedes and closing in on Massa. The two men then ran together with Hamilton keen to get ahead and make more progress and thus close the gap to the people ahead.

The implication of Smedley’s remark is very clear. Hamilton was in a faster car and Massa had much to gain from a strategic point of view by holding him behind until the pitstops. This would mean that Massa should come out ahead and thus Hamilton’s charge back to the front would be frustrated. The two men pitted at the same moment and on the first lap out of the pits tangled with Hamilton running into the back of Massa. This left Lewis with a damaged nose and Massa with a rear puncture.

Goes on.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

I enjoyed FP1 very much. Vettel put his car in the wall(I loved that :lol: ) and the 2 McLaren's were fastest :D FP2 was much the same really, but looking forward to qualifying
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

So who is winning in F1 this year?
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

That is obvious I think. It is Red Bull and Sebastian Vettel....he is over 100 points ahead
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Just needs 1 point to win this years title. Dont you love the contrast from last year to this year? When Vettel was crashing into everyone, everyone was calling for him to leave and it is wrong to have someone so young in the sport. He goes on to win that championship and now this year he is winning again. The contrast? Hamilton is now coming under heavy fire for driving tactics... :lol:
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

It was an interesting qualifying session. looked like McLean might have a chance but as always it went wrong in Q3, not sure what went on between Hamilton, Webber and Msc.....hopefully I will find some footage of that somewhere. But still Vettel was only just on pole, Button was soooo close.

Maybe some bad luck will go Vettels way and he will put in in the wall......but something tells me this wont happen
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

:D :D Well done Button :D Now I know nobody agrees with me on this but I still believe that Vettel does not do well when he is not in the front. But I will congratulate(even though I think he should have a penalty) him on his achievement of being the youngest ever double world champion :)

Not sure why Hamilton ended up in 5th.....the puncture(how that happened I dont know) had something to do with it, but after that stop he had only dropped to 4th.....then he went down to 7th in the next set of stops :scratch:

But I really enjoyed that race. Button is just brilliant :D :D
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

And I never saw any of it... :( And when the race came around on repeat I had way to many home problems to enjoy it... *sigh*

From what I was able to keep track of on my phone it seems like Vettel has been learning MSC (it was a great move IMO and he did leave Button enough room to pull out) but his car and Webbers just did not like those tires. I reckon if the tires held up he could have won.. In saying that Button was his superb self and I am glad to hear that he has signed a multi-year contract with Mclaren he deserves it. Hamilton well yeah another coming together with Massa and disappointing race from him, Stig I think you will find the fight has left him and he just wants to go home.

It sounded like a epic race and I wish I could have seen it but alas I missed it :(.

Stig & Others read this write up on Hamilton and give me your thoughts:
http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/
Where has Lewis Hamilton gone?
October 10, 2011

Lewis Hamilton. 2008 Formula 1 World Champion.

Is that how the history books will record the career of one of the greatest enigmas of the modern era of our sport? It is a question being asked for the first time not in hushed tones, but in open conversation in the Formula 1 paddock. Was that one season as good as it is ever going to get for him?

We’re a cynical lot, and we always look for a story. But this isn’t one that brings along any sense of satisfaction. Because the guy looks lost. He looks dejected, desolate… destroyed.

The Japanese Grand Prix was a microcosm of the situation at McLaren. Hamilton pushing above and beyond; Button serene and imperious. How times have changed at the team.

Jenson Button’s move to McLaren in 2010 was considered by most in the F1 paddock to be a brave one. Going one on one with Lewis Hamilton, at a team which had been built around the 2008 world champion, where the youngster had been a part of the furniture since he was a child… that’s no easy task. But it made perfect sense for Jenson. It was his best opportunity to get to a guaranteed top team, and the expectation would be that Hamilton would tear him apart. Anything Button did of worth at the team would look good.

So when it was Button, not Hamilton, who took the first (and second) McLaren victory that year, Jenson didn’t just look good. He looked mega. He’s continued to look just that.

Its is a long read but a good one.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

I agree with that article. Hamilton needs to go back to the way he was back in 07/08......all this pressure form the media has messed with his head, it seems that he tries to hard to satisfy the critics and in the process makes lots of mistakes. I hope that he does not leave F1 or McLaren :cry: . Maybe Eddy Jordan needs to talk to him as Eddy has often praised Hamilton's driving style.

As for Button, he is just brilliant at the moment and very different form the way he used to be. I remember commentators saying things like "will he ever win a race" and "that looks like a very basic driving error".........but look at him now.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Also, Alonso did a brilliant job bringing a real dog of a car (that isn't being developed any more) in second place. Never write him off - if Ferrari's work on their 2012 car pays off, we could well have a brilliant season next year (all three of Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari being strong). Will be even better if Mercedes can produce something decent as well.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Yes interesting it would be but obviously I would love to see the Ferrari being at the back.......but that is just me. Next year should be more interesting form a championship point of view as Vettel will hopefully not be 100+ points ahead. Would be really nice if Merc can make a good car
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Brilliant job Hamilton. That was the Hamilton we used to know, the way he throws the car through the corners is amazing :D . Finally McLaren have beaten RBR during qualifying :D

I hope the press stop bashing Hamilton now, because that pole was brilliant......I hope this is the return of the Hamilton we used to know
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Stig while I agree that Hamiltons quali was something special the press wont stop bashing him after one performance. ;) We will have to wait and see if he hits Massa in the race first :P.

Good showing by Hamilton and I cant wait for the race tomorrow! I really hope tyre degradation does not play a big role in this race...
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

I wont mind if the tires degrade, the McLaren is slightly lighter on its tires than the red bull. I am probably the only person who cheers when Hamilton crashes into the Ferrari, I dont like either Ferrari driver(even before they went to Ferrari I disliked them) and I dont like Ferrari. but I hope Hamilton does not crash into them this time......I want to see him win
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Awesome race. Hamilton raced like the Hamilton of old, went wheel to wheel with Webber and kept it clean :D . I am very happy with Hamilton's performance but also slightly disappointed that the McLaren was not as fast in the race as it was during qualifying. I hope the press will start to stop bashing Hamilton now.

Loved that battle for 2nd between Hamilton and Webber, Lewis was not going to give up and raced brilliantly to stay in 2nd :D Petrov was being a bit of a chop and wiped out MSC, Alonso could easily have done the same but luckily dodged the cars in front of him.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

OK. Seriously. Hamilton and Massa have to sort their differences out and stop crashing into each other.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

maybe they think that they are driving bumper cars...
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Both Massa and Hamilton has the combined emotional IQ of a toddler.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Yes but for once it was Massa who got the penalty. But both are equally to blame for that incident.

Besides that the race was not all that interesting apart from the first few laps that is. Button was driving well as usual and as the commentators said he is the only driver keeping up with Vettel.