F1 2011!

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Re: F1 2011!

Post by THE_STIG »

And why are you cheering, Ferrari only got onto the podium by luck not because their car was fast.

On the whole dry track vs wet track. I dont think the end result would have been that different as RBR did not dominate qualifying, McLaren were the fastest in Q1 and Hamilton was able to get through Q2 without using the faster tires. In Q3 Hamilton was fastest after the first flying lap but made a mistake in sector 2 during his final lap so if it had not been for that mistake he would have been on pole(he was over a tenth up in sector 1). And McLaren have always had better race pace then qualifying pace so I really doubt that RBR would have been faster in dry hot conditions.

Ferrari use both hot and cold......that explains a lot, but it is surprising that they are not the fastest :scratch:
Oh and that explosion in the pit lane was rather interesting, I think Renault better rethink their side exiting exhaust system.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Planet-F1 wrote:James Allison has revealed that different engine mapping, a cracked exhaust and a long pit stop were the cause of Nick Heidfeld's Hungarian fire.

Heidfeld was forced to retire from the Hungarian GP when his Renault R31 caught fire after his pit stop. The German parked on the side of the track at the pit lane exit and quickly jumped out.

Marshals arrived at the burning car with fire extinguishers, however, one appeared to be injured when the left side of the car exploded, showering the track with debris.

"As with most accidents, several incidents combined to cause the fire that Nick suffered in Hungary," explained Renault's technical director.

"First of all, we ran a slightly different engine mapping strategy in qualifying, which produced hotter than normal exhausts. We believe that this elevated temperature and caused a preliminary crack in the exhaust pipe.

"We presume that the crack then propagated during the laps to the pit stop - this was not evident to us as we believe that the failure occurred upstream of the place where we have a temperature sensor. We believe that Nick then came in with a partially failed exhaust.

"This pit stop took longer than normal, the engine was left at high rpm for 6.3 sec, waiting for the tyre change to be completed.

"Under these conditions, a lot of excess fuel always ends up in the exhausts and their temperature rises at around 100°C/sec. This temperature rise was enough to finish off the partially failed pipe and to start a moderate fire under the bodywork."

As for the explosion, Allison said that "this was caused by the air bottle which supplies the air valves in the engine. It has overheated in the fire and failed."

The team has already spoken with the FIA about their findings with Allison saying they are doing everything to ensure there won't be a repeat of the incident.

"The incident was highly undesirable, as it has caused us to write off a chassis.

"We will take steps prior to the next race to reduce the likelihood of a further fire and to ensure that the air bottle cannot overheat.

"We are in touch with the FIA both to provide them with a full report of the incident and also to explain to them the actions we are taking to prevent a re-occurrence."
Source
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Wow, interesting just how much difference a software change can make.........I still think that there is a flaw in the Renaults exhaust design though. You have to ask yourself, why has this not happened to other teams?
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Cartoon representation of the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Funniest F1 video. Ever.

Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Old video, but you've got to love Murray Walker... :P

Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

/And rusty says F1 has brought nothing to the world...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... James.html
The teenager with a Mercedes hand: Car firm grants £35,000 wish for disabled boy

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 9:49 AM on 15th August 2011

There must be many a young boy who dreams of one day owning a Mercedes.

Formula One fan Matthew James, however, had a more specific ambition. He wanted the car company to help build him a new bionic hand.

Now, thanks to determination and a healthy dose of cheek, the 14-year-old has had his wish granted.

Matthew, who was born without his left hand, put his plan into action by writing to Ross Brawn, boss of F1 team Mercedes GP Petronas, asking for £35,000 to pay for a top-of-the range artificial one.

In return, the schoolboy said he would let the company sponsor the hand by putting the Mercedes logo on it – just like the adverts on F1 cars.

Carry on reading for pics of the hand and how it works.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

I would chop off my hands on purpose just so I could have a hand made by Mercedes Benz :lol:

F1 - where would we be without it
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Finally F1 is back after the summer break :D

Was a tricky qualifying session, with the rain and then the drying track. Pastor Maldonado, was a complete chop for deliberately bashing into Hamilton after the end of Q2 :x He should have been banned from the race for that......Hamilton was doing nothing wrong by coming up the inside of him on the final corner so that he could complete his flying lap.

I hope somebody drives Maldonado off the track tomorrow :twisted:

At least Hamilton still starts 2nd just behind Vettel :) I have no idea what happened to Button, WTH did the team tell him to come back to the pits :x
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Another exciting race, brilliant drive form Button and also Michael Schumacher after starting in 24th and ending up in 5th. Vettel pretty much walked that one(except for the blistering issues). I am most annoyed with Kobayashi after what he did to Hamilton who might have won the race if it had not been for that kamakazi :x :x

I really enjoyed Jenson's drive. His car got beat up a bit in the first lap: first somebody took a bite out of his rear wing and then a piece of somebody else's front wing damaged his front wing and took the right mirror off :shock: But that did not stop him from performing overtakes left right and centre to finish in 3rd :D :D

Just a pitty that Hamilton got taken out by the Kamakazi :x and no action was taken. I wonder what would have happened if it had been the other way round :?
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

^^ Correction. Hamilton took himself out in a bit of a brainfart moment. Kobayashi was not the guilty party there - he was on the racing line and was entitled to hold it. Had Hamilton been checking his mirrors, the collision would not have happened.

Button and Schumacher are my drivers of the day though.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

^^ I dont agree. Hamilton was on the racing line, Kobayashi was the one moving around.......he drove into a gap that was always going to disappear
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

This is the best footage I can find of the incident:

Now you have to ask yourself: where else was Kobayashi supposed to go?

(Then again, I am dealing with the biggest Hamilton fanboy in existence...)
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Kob should have stayed behind him and waited for the next corner so he could attack. BTW when somebody sits behind your rear wing you cant see them in the mirrors......

After all even the commentators who are both ex racing drives said that that it was Kob's fault.

"the biggest Hamilton fanboy in existence"....yes that is me, you did forget the McLaren part though
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Better view of the crash:

From that angle, appears that Kobayashi was already in the gap, presumably trying to pressure Hamilton into taking a tighter line into the corner, which would have resulted in slower exit speed - and he would have tried to pass him after that.

Hamilton just wasn't looking and wandered straight into him.

This is what Kobayashi was trying to do:

EDIT: It appears that Hamilton has accepted the blame for this crash anyway.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Yes but Hamilton probably looked in the mirror and did not see Kob(because at that point he was right under Hamilton's wing) so then proceed to take the normal racing line. Kob should have known that the gap was going to disappear

But one other thing that I noticed form the race is that the Mercedes is not slow, I just wonder what those cars would do in the hands of Button, Hamilton, Alonso or Vettel

edit: I see he has, I still dont think it was entirely his fault......Kob was still in the wrong place :|
Last edited by THE_STIG on 28 Aug 2011, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

well... from the notifications that i got once i put my phone back on (was in the air for the whole race) it was an awesome race (apart from a few mishaps)....
aaaannnnnddddd... 20 years ago at this same track is where Michael Schumacher made his debut.... :mrgreen:
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

THE_STIG wrote:Yes but Hamilton probably looked in the mirror and did not see Kob(because at that point he was right under Hamilton's wing) so then proceed to take the normal racing line. Kob should have known that the gap was going to disappear
Sorry, but you're either blind, or **** stupid. You clearly missed the part where they were alongside...
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

KatrynKat wrote:well... from the notifications that i got once i put my phone back on (was in the air for the whole race) it was an awesome race (apart from a few mishaps)....
aaaannnnnddddd... 20 years ago at this same track is where Michael Schumacher made his debut.... :mrgreen:
Yea, he was racing for the then new Jordan team(how I miss them :( ) and qualified a brilliant 7th but did not even complete the first lap because of mechanical issues.

It was not an "awesome" race if you are a Ferrari supporter, they started going backwards in the last part of the race :lol:
Ron2K wrote:Sorry, but you're either blind, or **** stupid. You clearly missed the part where they were alongside...
But Kob was right under his wing and then ducked out form behind him......Hamilton probably only looked in the mirror during the point when kob was under his wing.....and as I said before you cant see them if they are under your wing
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

THE_STIG wrote:But Kob was right under his wing and then ducked out form behind him......Hamilton probably only looked in the mirror during the point when kob was under his wing.....and as I said before you cant see them if they are under your wing
Hamilton onboard (second half of video). At no point does he check the left mirror.

Besides, you're also missing the bit where the driver whose backside you seem so intent of licking has accepted responsibility for the incident (which I did post earlier as well). I say once more: you're either blind or **** stupid.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Yes I know he accepted the blame. But kob was still being a bit stupid to go round the outside of him......he knew that gap would not say there.

From that article I am surprised Hamilton said the car was slow on the straights, Button did not seem to think so. I know that during practice Hamilton was running much more rear wing than button, I dont know what the final race setup was. And Hamilton did have a damaged front wing as well but nobody seemed to notice....the commentators did not say anything and the team did not replace the wing during the pit stop :scratch:
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

I see that Bernie Ecclestone has agreed to have the Belgian GP alternate between France and Belgium. I will find it sad if F1 will only go to Spa every second year :cry:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.f1reader.com/news/webber-tru ... ouge-27155
Webber trusted Alonso in Eau Rouge

[EspnF1.com] Mark Webber said he would not have attempted his breathtaking overtaking manoeuvre on Fernando Alonso at the Belgian Grand Prix with every driver on the grid
I loved every minute of that race and am extremely disappointed in myself for not recording it :(.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Yea that move reminded me of the move Hakkinen put on Schumacher in the 2001 GP to take the lead (He used the laped cars brilliantly).
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Ok before somebody bans me I am not here to rant about the FIA or mock the Ferrari.

Another relatively exciting race, good job again form Button :) . I have seen that Hamilton has suddenly become very patient and calm, I cant help but think that his lack of aggression cost him a podium :? Even Button was more aggressive and he passed both Lewis(who had been pushed onto the grass) and MS. Unlike Hamilton Button committed himself to taking the outside line through Ascari.....usually Hamilton would have forced his way passed :scratch:

That Mercedes was massively fast in a straight line, I wonder what that car would do in the hands of Vettel, Alonso, Button or Hamilton? I still think that car is faster than it appears to be.

I just wish the championship fight was more interesting, Vettel is walking the thing ......he is more than 100 points ahead :cry:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol: I was actually waiting for your post to read "The FIA are showing their true colours by not giving MSC a penalty for the wqay he drives!" :lol:.

I loved the fight between Alonso, Vettel, MSC, Hamilton, Button, Massa and Webber this year has actually seen some very good battles and I reckon Vettel has proven that he can fight his way to the front if needed to. That move on Alonso was breath taking.

MSC showed his old form with his fighting over Hamilton and was great to watch that squabble, yes a couple of his moves were questionable but thats MSC he is always pushing the rules and that is a real driver. A couple of times I thought that Merc would go skidding over the corners due to lack of grip but credit to him for keeping it on track and in a fight.

Hamilton I reckon just wanted to finish a race hence the reason why we saw him so timid a lot of the times and I dont blame him. Maybe he just wanted to get that feeling of finishing a race again. He drove well now if he can keep his aggression and use it well he will be very hard to pass and to defend against. He just needs to keep a cool head and I think he is learning that, remember Vettel last year was very hot headed at the start and in the middle of the 2010 season but he found his happy place and is now very quick. Hamilton needs to do the same.

Button is the new "Professor" for Formula 1. I love the way he picks his fights and gets the job done. I wonder if he and the old Professor (Alain Prost) have been talking because he reminds me of Alain quite a bit.

Alonso drove well and I cant wait to see him in a competitive Ferrari because that will be a very good fight.

To answer your question regarding that Mercedes, in its current form it still would not be a front row contender. It lacks mechanical grip hence the reason (my opinion) why its tires just burn out quicker than everyone else. Not even Button the king of tire management could win with that Mercedes in its current form.

Oh and did anyone else see Vettels Red Bull suffer from a bad start off the grid? Red Bull really need to get a good launch control system...

One of the greats said that Vettel will win the championship because his rivals will be unable to fight for the points. There is no clear second so Vettel's rivals are taking the points off each other and not off Vettel, he just needs to manage his race and he has shown that he can do that very well...